Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The industry thread has been pretty popular, but it's also almost five years old. The industry and these forums are both in a different state these days, and it seems like a good time for a fresh start.

So, welcome to the industry thread! This thread is for discussing the business side of tabletop gaming, including current events, release schedules, what artists and writers are paid, getting into the business or encouraging others to do so, the do's and don'ts of running a business, community management, and so on. Discussion that doesn't directly relate to business matters is probably best served in another thread (Kickstarter chat that isn't in the context of the wider industry should go in the KS thread, for instance), but otherwise knock yourselves out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The NecroMech chat should probably be in the KS thread at this point.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Just a heads up: an RPGnet mod deleted the names Sean posted, so I went ahead and deleted them from the quote of his post in this thread. I don't know if it was posted elsewhere but I think it's a good idea regardless. I'd appreciate it if nobody posted the names from this point.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Actually I decided to delete the private messages from Morrus as well, as they include specific details of some of the accusations and I don't think those were made public with consent either. Sorry folks.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Oh crap. I apologize - I had no idea it was in there. I didn't read the whole thing because ... well ... look at it.

No worries, it wasn't redacted when you posted anyway!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

You Know Who behind the D&D Und Adult Entertainment Stars went on an interesting little tirade on Twitter:

Why are you following him on Twitter?

Or is this account named Shannon Appelcline or something :ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, the problem with most "let's model this anime/comic book" games is that most comic books and shonen-adjacent animes are built on the premise of breaking your own rules constantly. It runs pretty contrary to the general tabletop simulationist idea of modeling the universe and playing in it.

spectralent posted:

A cool friend of mine pointed out a lot of post-jojo shonen is basically a fantasy wizard duel where you're introducing facts about a superpower to counter your opponent's facts until one of you gets trapped being unable to bullshit out of an opening.

This is why I prefer shonen that plans things out and shows its work, like Bleach

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kestral posted:

"I worked at the Yale Divinity School's library, down in special collections. And it turned out that the way you represent an item that doesn't have a known publisher is, you write 'Sine Nomine' in the entry. So out of a general spirit of malice toward future librarians, I decided to name my publishing company Sine Nomine."

I didn't think I could like Kevin Crawford more than I already did, and yet :allears:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That is funny but I'm going to be That Guy and say that is a lot of money for a Twitter bit :ssh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

To expand on this, I believe that all product has to be in physical form if possible

Not any more. I thought that was the case when I submitted Breakfast Cult last year, but I was told that "publisher's choice" has been policy since at least 2014 and that you can always submit electronically if you prefer.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

It also looks like wundergeek is calling out the dog with the dice for what happened after he name-dropped her in his reposted update:

:captainpop:

When I saw the message it just said "a feminist". I guess they edited that out?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Anyone can nominate a Fan Favourite Publisher, so I assume someone put MYFAROG in and either it's entirely automated or whoever vets it didn't know who Varg Vikernes is, which TBF is pretty reasonable.

It might be worth figuring out who to ping about that.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please ease up on the US politics chat in the TG industry thread, unless it's about Jeffrey's upcoming dictator wrestling league pbta game, thanks!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

It's me. I'm the one spending $10 per reply in an argument nobody was going to remember in three days anyway. Owned, Gorbash.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I know that's a joke, but please nobody try to rig the ENnies.

Apart from anything else, after recent years they've changed the rules so publishers can't campaign for specific judges or their games will get DQed. Since a lot of Trad Games posters are also game creators, you'd risk loving them over.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Going back to that blog post on changes to the Ennies: why didn't anyone tell me we were rigging the votes? Because I have a word or six for the kingmaker behind the win of every d20 product for the past 20 years, Blood in the Chocolate, and Zweihander.

So just to be clear, what happened was that for the last couple years LotFP creators campaigned for a particular judge specifically so they would pack the nominations with LotFP games. This is partly why the ENnies have been talking about change recently.

I haven't heard anything about Zweihander being involved besides speculation based on his self-promoting a lot though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
They also changed the rules for 2019 judge voting so creators who push for specific judges can't be nominated that year, so they're definitely taking action. I imagine if someone wants to fix the nominations again they'll look for other ways, but at least you can't just say "it would really help my career if you vote for this guy" out loud now. It's a good start!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. I'm okay with the general thrust of this discussion, as how games handle politics in today's political climate is relevant to the TG industry, but who's blocking who and an offsite guy's Twitter owns aren't.

Please stop posting about Twitter. Thanks.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Chill out folks :shobon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Bans seem to work well enough for rpgnet, in the sense that they make people unreasonably angry when received.

Kai Tave posted:

Christ ain't that the truth.

I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure that years ago we permabanned someone for trying to guess your password after you probated them :allears:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This is drifting a little far from TG industry chat :ssh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

Literally an IRL example of

kingcom posted:

Holy lol, going 'actually I was just pretending to be retarded' puppetmaster.

Don't call people that, this isn't hard.

I'm also tired of people in this thread flaming each other over silly arguments in general, so drop the PDF argument and knock it off.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of alt-right gaming companies, the dude who wrote Blood In The Chocolate is denouncing and separating from Legend of the Flame Princess after James Raggi turned out to be a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I have no idea how this comes as a surprise, exactly.

I feel like it should have been obvious Raggi was that kinda guy years ago, but then I didn't write the Choccy Horror Minstrel Show :shrug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

the true embarassment is a grown rear end man going by "swedracula"

That's just what a bunch of goons call him :ssh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just to be clear I'm fine with the industry thread being used to talk about a designer's thoughts on sales and marketing, but try to keep it on that topic. This isn't grognards.txt :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I've been thinking about doing a print run instead of PoD for my next project but I've not done it before and I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone written advice for that?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Apparently it was because I blocked Jeff Rients on Twitter a few days ago, which I kinda forgot about until I looked that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

Zak S you are a piece of poo poo and your “progressive nature” is just covering for your actual regressive views and how you are actually an abusive rapist. Kthxbai

I've been pretty tired of people writing messages for some weirdo lurker that nobody else wants to read for a while now, and I think I'm done with them now! From now on I'm going to start probating. Just because some guy can't get off unless he's reading SA doesn't mean I need to hear about it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Planescape heists sound fun. You can run cons on towns out on the planes to get them shifted into the Outlands or an adjacent plane where robbing the rulers is easier :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

anime peaked with DBZ

:agreed:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ravenkult posted:

I make art for tabletop games and I'm launching a crowdfunding campaign where I'll be selling pre-made art, stock art and various bits and pieces. Is there a good thread to post this in? The TG Kickstarter thread doesn't feel right.

If it's TG related it can go in the KS thread, don't worry about it!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

are you kidding me how is this real

He got a lot of backlash over hiring assholes as playtesters and he's had several years to think on that, so it's not unreasonable that his opinion could be informed by past events :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please stop the "Well, what about Aatrek??" derail.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Honestly Plutonis is right, I would rather it all go through one thread to make following the discussion easier. I did already ask the 5E thread to take it here :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Folks, I don't mind talking about Zak in the Industry thread but leaving messages for Zak here has never not been boring

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Breakfast Cult was KSed in 2014.

(Also, lmao)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
MonsterEnvy could stand to post less but I think some goons are getting uncomfortably close to bullying. Please stop talking about him now.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 20, 2019

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

moths posted:

E: I think Mearls forwarding the emails was confirmed when Zak (posing as Mandy) posted Ettin's personal info on Tumblr along with a throwaway "I'm not doxxing because this is public, uh, somewhere."

From what I remember he knew my name because he hung out with the RPGsite crew, and they were making a big deal out of realising that I'd put my name on my old blog. I don't remember anyone going after me after the Mearls thing much but then Zak has always preferred more vulnerable people :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

hyphz posted:

Don’t even get onto “are there any boots in the vestibule?” “No.” “I flashback to pretending to be a messenger from the duke, telling the guard captain that all guards must take off their boots in the vestibule. If I succeed then since it’s established there are no boots, there must be no guards!”

IME the solution to this is "no, and don't ask dumb gotcha questions like this again", because the GM is not a computer and people who try to play them like one are assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Someone needs write an adventure for Blades in the Dark that, if you read into it just a bit, becomes immediately and obviously just Saints Row: Doskvol.

Which Saints Row? IV?