Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chapo Trap House got accused of being ableist for not having podcast transcripts.

It happens.

In a world where Nick Mullen exists this is shipping coal to Newcastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It did not, actually, get blown up any harder then the previous half dozen times it exploded.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
ah yes they tyrannical changes they forced upon themselves until finally they rallied the courage to stand against themselves and right the great wrongs done to themselves, by themselves, and saved the feeling of playing D&D from being an MMO.

Quick, say combat as sport, I've almost hit bingo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Objectively, the best selling edition of D&D at that time was such a disaster they had to walk it all back because of the objective statistics and figures of ???????

Much like the rest of this supposedly ex nihilo development of now that's what I call grogpoints volume 2008, no one is pissy you're saying this, it's just the idea that these are original thoughts is baffling.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lemon-Lime posted:

Which RPGs have farming mechanics in them?

HarnMaster, notably.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

moths posted:

The thing is that they don't even want that - they want martials to be limited only to what they imagine an untrained nobody is capable of.

When you see a trained UFC dude knock someone out in three seconds (unarmed!) or a guy in full plate doing aerobics, that becomes "unrealistic.' That thing you just saw in real life is less believable than if a wizard did it.

Let us never forget the classic "tested by strapping a mouse to your wrist" defense.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

spectralent posted:

Marking is functionally an AoO for hitting someone that isn't you.

It's also proactive in a way AoO isn't.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I know that Austin Walker, who GMs the Friends at the Table actual plays, has talked about how some of what they do is consciously about making for an enjoyable show and while it's still fun to play that way, requires effort or choices he wouldn't make if it wasn't being recorded.

IIRC the particular thing he mentioned is that there's less room to meander around in the game/world, and that having to push things forward so much can work to the detriment of certain styles of play.

Another example from Friends at the Table, they stop playing Technoir in favor of The Sprawl because when Austin was working on editing an episode with the normal editor he realized that Technoir is a great game to play but pretty dull to listen to passively. The players talked in the postgame about how changing systems to The Sprawl changed how they acted and approached their characters because of the way the character mechanics forced them into approaches.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
what

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh, gently caress off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Aniodia posted:

Maybe it's because I am a straight white hetero dude

There's no maybe there, Blevin.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hashtag notallstraightwhiteheterodudes indeed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dawgstar posted:

But he hired Satine Phoenix so he is now like a Voltron of progressiveness, more progressive than all other companies combined.

Don’t forget to source your Zak quotes, please.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“Oh no I get less than 2000 dollars, better take 0 dollars instead” is certainly something one could claim to be a logical stance but they’d have to do some loving rhetorical legwork to support it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So how many of the promised hack writers also ran Kickstarters where Harper's name was attached to a stretch goal, anyway?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In a world where Kamiya’s twitter exists there’s no real defense for this poo poo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Falstaff posted:

She didn't have to be so rude to the guy, but he was absolutely mansplaining (though I doubt he had any ill intent there, based on the way he apologized and bowed out when she told him to get lost), and either way the backlash was entirely undeserved. And to top it all off, her employers were such cowards they caved in to the chuds? Seriously, gently caress that studio.

It's even worse, it was a preemptive cave in. By the time the rear end in a top hat brigade got spun up they'd already fired her and another employee.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thank god the OSR Defender Has Logged On.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That’s because the gameplay of UA is literally about playing people engaging in terrible ideas, that’s the entire thrust of the game. Not going to touch that second point with a ten foot pole but c’mon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The OSR Defender Has Logged On.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Imagine thinking that the actual endowment of mystical power to black hair, a hellaciously fraught and political topic at the best of times, was just good representation. Just some good clean fun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mirthless posted:

I'm phone posting and its hard to reply to everyone when im being dogpiled. God drat dude how am I supposed to keep up?

Perhaps the true winning move.....is not to play.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Serf posted:

but then who would go to bat for the osr??

I mean, TheDiceMustRoll isn’t banned yet is he?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, it's actually not that hard to tell both racists and people who tolerate racists to gently caress off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A few loud obnoxious voices, like pretty much every noted OSR author except Kevin Crawford.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
For a dude who keeps bringing up that paying for this site is morally compromised you sure have dropped way more than ten dollars doing so.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Change word into praxis, my dude. Tax gets no money from me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s true, if people stopped giving minorities money and did the real work we’d have fixed these problems by now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Joe Slowboat posted:

My skepticism hinges on whether the mechanisms necessary to making a game functional, i.e. the game part of the game, are sort of necessarily going to distort or reify the extremely complex and contingent sphere of organizing. Which, y'know, doesn't matter so much in elfgames that aren't meant to be educational, but becomes pretty fraught if we're expecting players to learn how to organize from them.

On the other hand maybe that's just a failure of my imagination and limited organizing experience.

Nah, the peril of gamification interfering with the pedagogical impact of a theoretical educational game is legitimately a major concern when it comes to designing things of that nature. The game Spent, for example, ended up sometimes reducing empathy for the groups it wanted to represent in players. After all, you wouldn’t be so poor if you played better.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually, I’ve just been reminded of WINTERHORN by Jason Morningstar, which is a game made explicitly to educate about activism, specifically about how state actors attempt to derail it. It’s not the only route to making a successful politically aware educational game but I’d say it is one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The “better balance” between Fighters and Wizards in 5E is that the preferred balance of fighters carrying the bags for the magic users who get to actively do things was restored.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MadScientistWorking posted:

I know this is probably rhetorical but there is a simple answer to this. Who's Line is pretty realistic in regards to a specific genre of improv called sports comedy (Note: Not sure if this name is right). That aspect while accurate is but a small subset of the entire genre. In fact certain parts of improv tend to resemble actual plays in presentation than what most people associate with improv.

Theatersports, and yeah it’s a very specific form of improv with an emphasis on the “improv game”.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gradenko_2000 posted:

the old Next thread would bring this up every other page, followed swiftly by people saying it wasn't germane to the product

people were perfectly willing to tell others that they shouldn't pick up 5e on the basis of Zak's inclusion as a credit on the game if one was willing to look

Several iterations of the 5E thread specifically banned discussion of this because I guess it’s hard to enjoy your toys when people remind you that it aided and abetted serial harassment. Now is the loving time.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Mearls Defender Has Logged On

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“Sympathy for all victims, just not enough to inconvenience my favorite toy in any way shape or form, also it did no wrong despite all evidence” is certainly a stance one could take, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I can’t believe Rand deadass insisted on having a “respectful conversation” about sexual harassment at this of all times like this is a highschool debate club and not reality, actually.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The exceedingly high bar of "Don't hustle for a sexual harasser".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's cut to the chase and have you call me mentally disabled again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hyphz has repeatedly discussed that their game group is apparently just a bunch of Phil players and the logical advice of “don’t play with them” is apparently impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn’t that one Ferrinus?