Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Did they even say they'll make a VTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

moths posted:

Newly minted 5e grogs raging on D&DOne is going to be the weirdest Deja Vu.

the endless cycle.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

hyphz posted:

Because for a group activity, five people saying "meh" is better than four saying "yeah" and one saying "no way".

lol if you think it wouldn't be one saying "yeah", one saying "meh" and three saying "no way".

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Then do it for int and wis too. 4 stat supremacy.

Just use a "mind" stat and a "body" stat.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I don't think VTTs can legally be affected?

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 15, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Piell posted:

Relevant OGL 1.1 text

Under 1.1 you can't sell anything but static files. That means no stuff like encounter/character builders, but also you can't do stuff like adventures that automatically set up everything for stuff like Foundry or Fantasy Grounds

You can't just NOT using the OGL, though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, you could just not use the OGL for your VTT

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Piell posted:

Yes, but you can't do so if you want to do 3.X or 5E stuff. The point of this change is WotC wants to make other VTTs much more difficult to use for 5E/OneD&D in order to drive people to use their upcoming VTT

Why not. Just don't quote word by word the SRD.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Piell posted:

The OGL is the license for what D&D stuff you can use.
The license says "This license only applies to materials You create for use in or as roleplaying games and as game supplements and only as printed media and static electronic files such as epubs or pdfs. It does not allow the distribution of any other form of media. And does not apply to creation of anything else."
Therefore you cannot use it for anything that isn't static, like a character/encounter builder or an adventure for a VTT that automatically sets up all the maps and NPCs and items

You can use totally D&D rules to create character/encounter builders or an adventure. You can't copyright game rules.
What you can't do is to use the OGL, that allows you to say "this is product is for D&D 5e", or to quote parts of the SRD text.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Piell posted:

Not at all, which was very annoying because that was my main issue with their coverage

Well, people at the time were not really focused on what the change would imply for VTTs.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The simple character creation in 5e is honestly great.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for the record: Das Schwarze Auge (Arkania or The Dark Eye) has had opposed rolls since the 90s, and my recollection from back then: combat drags out too long

Oh, I remember that one. It was published as "Uno sguardo nel buio" here in Italy in 89.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

White Wolf built a subcultural phenomenon on the most unnecessary number of rolls to resolve single actions in 1991.

"Each single combat action will require multiple opposed checks, each one involving multiple dice and a floating, arbitrary success threshold decided case by case"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'll be honest, all these leaks are starting to be really strange.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

D&D and RPGs have been a huge part of my life in these past 25 years, and I never had a D&D Beyond account.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PST posted:

You're not the executive producer of D&D though, are you?

What I mean is that you can totally be invested in D&D and not having a D&D beyond private account. And since D&D beyond was not even a Hasbro product until May 2022, why should he have a work account for it

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but doing that says something, if you're in charge of a product, and you don't even care to use it for work related reasons,
But what these "work related reasons" should be? for what is worth maybe he always uses a personal account to do stuff and only now he needed to do a public post. Who cares.

quote:

it shows that you don't believe in the product. This is just bad optics. It'd be like if the president of a grocery store chain never attended a single store opening. I certainly wouldn't shop there if senior management can't even put in the effort for a photo op. So why should I use D&D Beyond if the head of D&D himself doesn't have an account?

I choose grocery stores based on the best price quality ratio and proximity to my home and workplace, who the gently caress cares if the president of the store chain never attends.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 19, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Warthur posted:

I feel like "engaging with the community on D&D Beyond" and "Make important announcements through that platform" would be fairly obvious work-related reasons.

Really, for me I don't care whether this person uses a private alt account to do actual gaming, that's fine. I even don't mind if they minted a new work account for the first time they needed to perform either of those functions on Beyond.

The question to me is "How long were they in this role before they decided to perform one of those functions in the first place?" It feels like if you are the executive director of D&D during an intensive playtesting process which unfolds in part on Beyond, you should have been making some announcements on Beyond on a work account before now.
Again, Beyond was not their product until May. How many announcement did he personally make in these past 8 months?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

It might look like Monte's post is about the OGL but I'm now convinced he's the one who shot Kennet Hite.

:tinfoil:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe it's because the license would be "perpetual" and "irrevocable"?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

moths posted:

Providing specific page numbers also reveals how seriously the D&D1 feedback is(n't) being considered.

Uh, what

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Megazver posted:

I wouldn't mind a version of Genesys with fewer special snowflake dice, tbh.

I'm currently playing a Terrinoth campaign. It's fun!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Like Compare the 5e Race List with the PF2e heritage list and tell me which is more interesting.

5e.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

what

what does it even mean

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 9, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Bee posted:

How distinct was Pathfinder's PHB from 3.5's? I feel like that's the minimum bar Kobold needs to clear, and even then the market circumstances that enabled Pathfinder aren't 1 to 1 with the current situation.

Pathfinder was 3.75. Almost identical, with slight changes on the combat non-attack actions system and general power up to classes and races.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Siivola posted:

bloated and just kind of arcane.

Which is my main problem with 1e pathfinder. That and the whole "it's kinda 3.5 but not really so you end to always second guess yourself about the rules when playing."

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lol at the idea that pathfinder 1e is an innovative game.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There is charm in not taking yourself too seriously. Neither being ironic nor playing straight is a sure recipe for a good movie, and viceversa.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Conditions are keywords.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

No. Not really. You can still hide from lifesense.

Why?
I can't find anything in both directions.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 26, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And how do you hide from lifesense?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'll rephrase: how can you use your hide and stealth skills to hide from lifesense? Because from the examples I'm getting it's like if the only answer to "how do you hide from sight" was "you drink an invisibility potion".

Yeah, I'm sure the wizard or the cleric can cast some "invisible to lifesense" crap on the party, thank you very much.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Easy. Lifesense doesn't say it circumvents line of sight so why can't you do what you do normally? The safety precautions come off as you doing it to avoid contact standing out in the middle of open.

Oh, so it's just a fancy darkvision?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ok, I'll mime to be a zombie then.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, this should work too.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Narsham posted:

Source Keywords: Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psionic; 4E registers the source of powers for PCs. I haven't played for a long time but these keywords don't seem very helpful when, say, Cleric powers all have the Divine keyword. I suppose they matter for multiclassing, but I don't think these keywords came up in play much, so they may not be needed.

I don't know how much it was supported by the rules but I always thought that these gave something of a sub-role. Divine powers are all somewhat leader-ish, Martial powers give you a striker tone, all the Arcane powers have some controller-like elements and so on.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

There are literally thousands of years of real world magical bullshit to compare to and all of it is at least as sensical as D&D.

Lifesense was like blindsight in pathfinder 1e, for what is worth.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

As far as I can tell there are only two sense that penetrate through solid objects. Tremorsense and I swear that there's one lets you see ghosts in walls.

"hearing" and "scent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Seventh sense is the one that gives you access to the essence of your Cosmo.