Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Is blue/orange a problem? It contrasts just as sharply.

If you're not sure, run it through a colorblindness simulator, of which there are many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I think dieselpunk pretty accurately describes Final Fantasy VII just from hearing it. This is the only thing I've seen it used to describe and now I'm convinced it was created to describe Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy VII is cyberpunk, just a different strain of it than the kind that's heavily concerned with information technology.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cyberpunk that visits the suburbs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Hit points don't make sense in any fashion and never have, so someone who understands they're an abstraction doesn't need to wonder why healing spells are also an abstraction.

Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question? :thejoke:

I seem to recall hit points were invented for naval simulation war games, where they represented large ships getting hit with cannonballs. A big boat could remain quite capable of combat under sustained punishment until it finally capsized. When the rules were adapted for leisure instead of training, they ported the mechanics over without caring much about realism, down through Chainmail's more expensive ancestors and into video games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Even then with their skill selection and access to the ritual magic feat for free wizards and clerics are still the best at it.

But that's not good enough for the Grog. Nope, if you're strong enough to move a boulder you don't get to have cool things.

"It's bad that martial classes can take the Ritual Caster feat" is a flavor of grog I've never tasted before.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Running a game shouldn't be so much homework. This is what I believe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bewilderment posted:

A massive amount of 4e hate is that it required a grid, which is why DnD5e doesn't have the minis-on-a-grid pics that the last two editions had.

All versions of D&D require a grid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they manage to make it balanced, they should call it, Mathfinder.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Pfft, they're just gonna put out Fungeons and Fragons in a couple of years and then all your E&E material will be useless.

Gonna be honest, that game sounds better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nalt

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Season 1 suffered from being cut in half, season 2 suffered from recycling the ideas that were cut from season 1, but I'll hear nothing against seasons 3 and 4.

They should make a tabletop game about that franchise. The setting is wonderful, and encompassing both series would ensure it has the versatility I like in a system.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Only post-jojo?

Jojo's been going a long time. What's a notable precedent? Even Fist of the North Star doesn't have much of that going on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

'DnD Champion?' I'm sorry but you cannot win a roleplaying game. :colbert:

It doesn't mean someone who wins it, it means someone who is a champion for it, i.e. a successful and prolific spokesperson and/or a knight whose shield has the D&D logo on it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fascism evolves. It also attempts to incorporate and co-opt signifiers of good things. There are no shortcuts for identifying fascism; it is necessary to understand your own society.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People who expect to be able to find players are more likely to buy a game book. I think the group forms first and then the book is sold to one or more members.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's nothing wrong with 4e that can't be fixed by adapting it into a video game (with a short, curated list of meaningful feats).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any attempt at making tabletop RPGs sustainable in a market economy will require increasing the size of the audience.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Are those who create as a hobby to blame for the situation?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In summary, making or playing a respectful game about deeply personal traumatic experiences is difficult and not to be undertaken lightly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

If my DBZ fan game veers far enough away from base PBTA to warrant a different descriptive engine name, I think I'm going to insist people use "Punched by the Goku".

Power Up, Never-Cowardly Heroes!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Silence, Brand is a 20-page improvisational RPG about a group of anti-corporate activists who give everything they have to fighting the machine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

My favourite part of this is how they use "D&D" as shorthand for roleplaying games in general throughout the entire survey.

D&D needs to die.

I assumed they were talking about D&D specifically, and simply not acknowledging any competing products at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leraika posted:

how about those Traditional Games, guys

Talking about movies is a traditional game. The winner is whoever talks about the best movie.