Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It helps that, so long as there are a maximum of three ships in the combat, you can represent everything on a 2d plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Palladium Robotech kickstarter imploded and Siembada is asking people with unfulfilled Wave 2 rewards to pay shipping to get Wave 1 rewards instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Ah okay, my mistake then, I remember her releasing some statements regarding their efforts to not make it a total fuckfest with racist undertones like the last one and so I assumed she would be supervising it.

I think she put a lot of work into making sure the right people were hired to write the right things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmm let's just take a lo

NOPE

:laffo:
Jesus christ.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So is P2.0 their take on 4e or 5e?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Goes to eleven.

Well yeah, if they're not in the Forgotten realms anymore they can do that :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

It seems like the number of actions a spells costs during combat is dependent on the number of components it has. Acid Splash has a Verbal and Somatic component, so it requires 2 actions. However, Shield only has a Verbal component, so the caster can cast both spells in their turn.
Well that sounds fiddly as hell and a bookkeeping nightmare.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really, no? Like I know boo hiss Pathfinder but it's literally just "you get 3 points, this action costs 2, this action costs 1."

You could put a little number next to the spell and you're good to go.

I imagine there will be class features that let you bypass material components.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah, mostly just making it even more like 3.5 and removing a neat thing from martials I can’t remember anymore. I still preferred the Open Dev process in Beast the Primordial.

You have a terrible gimmick.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

At least Beast tried to improve, and failed, instead of seeking to make things worse ala PF’s playtest :colbert:

Uhhh....

Pretty much the only thing I've heard that actually changed mechanically out of playtesting is that prior to playtesting the Beasts with Flying Horrors didn't actually have an atavism that allowed them to fly.
And they removed "You Are Meat" because the condition it tagged people with was loving broken, but re-introduced it as a story specific nightmare that only affects other supernaturals until they sufficiently suck the Beast's dick.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I remember that it changed some of the fluff to make the idea of it more palatable. It didn’t succeed, but There Was An Attempt

He changed the way the fluff was presented... in the first chapter. Then you get to the storytellers section and it as much as tells you "Those are the lies I was forced to tell you so I could print the book."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I've seen softcover versions of the jedi supplement on shelves for a long-rear end time.

I have one. It came with a bunch of loose playtest character sheets in the back.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

counterspin posted:

I just find it hilarious that PF continued to be a thing after 5e. Why bother?

Because the rabid PF fans see 5e as a rather naked attempt to court them back (it is) and thus an admission that PF is the true inheritor of D&D (it isn't)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Roadie posted:

There's plenty of out-of-combat magic in 4e, it just goes under the label "rituals". The actual difference in 4e is that out-of-combat magic is no longer limited to only people that also use in-combat magic.

Terrible nerds reject this because they've never branched out beyond D&D enough to even read an old Discworld novel.

Even then with their skill selection and access to the ritual magic feat for free wizards and clerics are still the best at it.

But that's not good enough for the Grog. Nope, if you're strong enough to move a boulder you don't get to have cool things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean it's not like there's a series of D&D comics that's basically a humorous actual play set in a royalty free universe.

Oh wait.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, The Core was funny as hell once I turned my brain off and accepted the idiocy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Christopher Tolkien resigned as head of the Tolkien foundation when it was announced :ssh:

I mean, he hated the Peter Jackson movies because they were "action flicks for fifteen year olds."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"We're dividing the hobbit into two movies, the first half and the second half."
"Eh I suppose I can understand that somewhat."
"We're dividing the second half into two more movies to better accommodate all the subplots we've created."
"What."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

It's not the timeline of events they promised, but at least it's something. As far as I can tell Black Hat Matt hasn't said anything about the allegations made against him.

Fairly certain that's because Matt actually did those things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

That's definitely my read on it - I think he's going to try radio silence for as long as possible.

E: Which, given this industry, is very likely to be 'forever'.

And radio silence, whether out of respect for the victims or fear of retribution, is still a way better look than "Abuse victims are wounded animals and incapable of proper expressions of compassion."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Fungeons and Fragons

..Do not miss the "R" when you're talking about your new game.

For the love of god.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Æungeons and Æragons

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also note the weasel wording in "Alleged offensive behavior".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

cargohills posted:

To be fair I'm sure they'd rather not get sued for publicly calling someone a sexual harasser.

This is before a third party is even involved. They're basically saying "if you're offended by someone's behavior you need to go through a jury of your peers to decide if it's actually offensive first."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"But what about the falsely accused?"
"Well if they've been genuinely falsely accused they should be open and honest and provide evidence that needs refuting."
"But that's work! Clearly the victims need to bear the bulk of this burden."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Roadie posted:

In more evidence of how hosed up the RPG.net moderation rules are, you can't call people liars when they are factually liars.

:colbertfacepalmingfourtimes.gif:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/HillaryMonahan/status/974439081479491585

looks like we're not the only ones seeing that STOP policy as hosed up and bullshit

"Hey could you please stop raping me?"
"No in fact i'm gonna rape you again!"
"Hang on I need to call in an impartial 3rd party arbitration team to determine if this is, in fact, rape."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A more accurate acronym for their policy would have been PAUSE.

Please Always Underestimate Sexual prEdators.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, see, it's okay because they used up all actual conversations and some people were getting into conspiracy theories!

This is a good reason to shut down a thread about an important topic because

Tis a far better thing that a thousand rapists go free than one man face punishment just for his steely blue eyes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Iirc the CAS is an anti Semite thing came about because he's Palestinian and Holden was grasping at straws trying to smear poo poo on anyone else to make himself look better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. Lisa Stevens was involved heavily in the creation of both Wizards of the Coast and White Wolf. Though she's not as well known because she's generally been an editor or executive, I think it's fair to say roleplaying games would be very different without her.

Oh man, she had to deal with Rein*Hagen too?

I'm surprised she didn't just carry around a hatchet to castrate all the dudebro game devs after that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

Now I begin to wonder whether the original Vampire was, like Star Wars, one of those projects which was saved in the edit...

1e World of Darkness books are really... not great. 2nd Edition gets slightly better, particularly after the large org reshuffle that saw Bridges moved off of Werewolf and onto Mage. Revised is better but there are still a few stinkers that slip through from time to time because people trusted the writers not to go too far off the reservation.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of person MR*H was to work with, but I know he was bought out of the company, I heard some rumors of him driving fans away at Cons, and everything that he has done since his tenure at Werewolf does not strike me as the kind of things a person who's good at running a business would do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I still remember how achingly pretentious his little columns or whatever at the end of 2E Apocalypse and 1E Wraith and thought to myself that this is not a man who I want to game with, despite having obviously bought many of his games. Especially Wraith where he's losing his mind narrating how his players were dead and their souls eaten and then crapped out into the underworld and they're just staring at him because of how REAL and INTENSE it was. Probably they were too polite to say 'dude what?'

He's gotten worse since then, he's entered an auteur stage where character sheets are a relic of the past and your character should actually be an action figure, no wait it should be a deck of cards.

Yeah it should be a deck of cards and those idiots making vampire should just shut down already because they're cutting into his market share of "succubus" which is totally different than vampire for reasons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

I really like 1e Chicago By Night, but I suspect part of that comes from it being the playtest campaign and so having a dose of extra richness and road testing arising from actual play.

The werewolf books were not anywhere near as polished. The tribes backstabbed each other at every opportunity and their clan stereotypes were flanderized up to 11.
Also 1e was when bridges was at the helm so the neoprimitivism and saintly exotic natives thing was in full swing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Rage Across New York was especially awful. I remember how it said that unlike the awful white tribes, the Wendigo and Ukena only warred on one another for noble and pure reasons. It reminded me of something from, I dunno, MST3K or something - "My race is pacifist and doesn't believe in war. We only kill out of personal spite."

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but Rage Across Australia is similarly bad. In which we find out that the European garou killed the Aboriginal Bunyip because they were fearful of their giant black marsupial dicks. Also that cereal grains are of the wyrm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

I've got 1E in hardcopy and 2E in PDF and I don't remember them being all that different, save that 2E has a nicer layout job and edit, doesn't have the ongoing story told in the art, and otherwise more or less has the same information, just presented in a slightly different order. So I guess you could count that as being saved in the edit.

I don't think ARB is talking about the core book on it's own, as much as the Metaplot and supplementary books. The WOD Cores are rather densely packed with crunch and don't leave much room for the writers to wax poetic about how the Get of Fenris are actually for real double plus nazis.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: For all we know, Vin Diesel could’ve memorized all the tables from D&D 2-5 but just doesn’t talk about it aside from mentioning it in some interviews and that one geek and sundry session. Some of those football players are HUGE weebs and could probably argue with you all day about DBZ and Master Roshi’s turtle’s power level.

I mean, the guys from the New Day do let's plays in their spare time and once did their ring entrance in Saiyan battle armor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Has anyone mentioned how deep Serena Williams is into Avatar, yet?

Didn't she do some guest voice acting in Korra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Excellent point. I hope my clarification helps. His eyes are round. Like rounder than normal anime eyes. And they seem to have no expressions, like they have been painted on.

This guy?

That would be Neji Hyuga, most of his family has them as they're descended from the ninjas that live on the moon.

I unironically love Naruto but the plot can get kind of crazy sometimes (not Bleach levels of crazy, but it was trying towards the end of it's run)