Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Where did the meme of calling it Starfinger come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

DalaranJ posted:

And I suppose so does a wizard. I'm interested in seeing what sort of benefit the Fighter receives to compensate for this.

lol

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Anyone in the Kickstarter have updAtes on the Unity RPG?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The Fast and Furious franchise is made of l better D&D movies than any of the official ones.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I didn’t know who Schmorky was before this discussion

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Ettin posted:

Apparently it was because I blocked Jeff Rients on Twitter a few days ago, which I kinda forgot about until I looked that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs

This is funny since Jeff just riled up the alt-right OSR brigade by daring to suggest on his blog that James Raggi shouldn’t be hanging around for Jordan Peterson.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd be pretty curious to hear more about Unity RPG as a 4e successor - I remember it came out but even the pdf was expensive and I didn't see many impressions here of the released product.

I bought it and it’s a true 4e-inspired fantasy heartbreaker, imo. The power system seems built around specializing in 1-2 tricks and spamming them early and often until you run out of mojo points and have to resort to at-wills until you randomly trigger your point recharge. The combat system includes opportunity attacks against movement in melee, but every class has a lot of fiddly ways to avoid/mitigate them to the point to where you might as well remove them. There’s also very little in the way of forced movement or zones of control. Powers are almost all straight damage with riders of buffs/debuffs to damage, accuracy, or defense.

Overall it looks like it could use another balance pass or two from playtesting. This is all just from my casual reading - it could play better than it looks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hyphz’s posts are just a campaign by Lowtax to get us to pay for a forums account but never use it, sparing him the bandwidth costs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nuns with Guns posted:

It looks like he changed references to her name in the articles series itself, but decided to leave the weird post where he first declared "Actually, it is good to not do this for archival purposes!" up without an addendum noting he realized how loving lovely he was being.

If you read the comments, he makes the changes only because Jacquays comes and asks him to directly.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Another way to think about it is in an AP with professional actors/improv people, it's like watching a cooking competition show with pro chefs. Compare that to an AP with more normal people, and you have a show more like Nailed It!

Nicole Byers would be an amazing GM

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I always imagined Friend Computer having the voice of Eddie, the Heart of Gold’s shipboard computer, from the Hitcherhiker’s Guide radio program.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

From each according to their ability to say that Zak S poo poo his pants at Chik-Fil-A at the last day of Gen Con '17. To each according to their need to say Zak S poo poo his pants at Chik-Fil-A at the last day of Gen Con '17.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Raistlin was the late 80s paperback version of Sephiroth. If MMOs has come out before FF7, all the angsty teens playing on their parents credit card would have handles like Raistlin420.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is wrong. It sold like poo poo because Mirrodin was still in standard at the time and it was the intentionally powered down compared to the mess that was Mirrodin. Same way that Ixilan suffered for the sins of Kaladesh.

Nope

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Pretty sure it was Luke Gygax who wrote it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Meinberg posted:

You're not wrong, but it is a little disheartening to see that the best way to have major success in the industry is to have moderate success elsewhere.

I mean isn’t this true for almost every niche creative industry?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Stores are the customers and manufacturers are the vendor for distributors. Basically, LGS can't pay distributors for product and that's locking things up the whole chain

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

WotC does enough lovely stuff that we don’t need to dive into database numerology

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What's funny is that alignment in the Chainmail wargame that D&D grew from was basically just a red jersey/blue jersey situation for Law and Chaos without much metaphysical or philosophical bullshit. Gygax took that and intentionally made it worse!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Discord sucks for anything beyond basic chatting , so I hope there’s eventually an effort to make an actual new forum

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Death to Ability Scores

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

“Pyromancy and pyromancy accessories”

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Macross Plus is Bryan Cranston’s best acting

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Sorry but you didn’t take Skill Focus: Bearing the Burden

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m all in favor of brevity in RPG rules, but that’s orthogonal to putting in accessibility material.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It was used an ad in Dragon Magazine a lot back in the 90s

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

MThe Blood War smells like black licorice.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

No one is disagreeing with you

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Speaking of which, anyone have good recommendations for African mythology media? Preferably stuff for layfolks since I want this to be an outlet/escape from Pandemic Life and not something to write a dissertation from.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Jimbozig posted:

Yes, of course! You should absolutely be able to play whoever in an RPG.

The fact that it's seen as a problem here is indicative of the fact that these streams are really much closer to TV shows than they are to a bunch of friends playing D&D.

In a TV show, you can put out a casting call and find someone to play whatever character. Obviously you don't do that in a home game. In streaming? If you are a small group of pals doing an AP podcast as a hobby, you aren't casting professional actors. If you are Critical Role? Then yeah, you are casting professional actors.

I think the issue is that Critical Role organically grew into what it is now from a group of pals doing an AP as a hobby. AFAIK, the core group was never "cast" in any traditional sense.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Am I reading that correctly that there was a Pathfinder/Rifts crossover?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

The big difference with CR is that the game is live-streamed, whereas TAZ is a recorded and edited podcast.

I don't get how folks think CR is edited or re-shot when people are actually watching them doing it, while they are doing it.

Faking technology has improved by leaps and bounds since the moon landing

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

RudeCat posted:

Wait, people don't *always* do recaps before a game starts?

Only when my players pay for the recap DLC for my campaign

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's a joke, cause dads and all. the book seems fine

might need to work on your delivery then because that was not apparent in your post

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I literally have no idea who any of these people are.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

yeah it should be named boltplug

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

IMO, part of Magic’s success was that it didn’t try to setup original IP at the start. It was just generic high fantasy with hints of some characters in the background.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Kurieg posted:

"Not racist" but a kender steals the "Not"

I think you mean borrow

:smaug:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The D&D team at Hasbro deserves no benefits of the doubt until shown otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Ultiville posted:

I dunno, I always thought one really fun D&D 4E campaign would be combat-as-sport set in a logical-conclusion-of-D&D-magic utopia where everyone has access to magical healing and revival (or death prevention or whatever you prefer) such that you're a bunch of consenting beings fighting no-holds-barred in a dungeon who all get patched up and have drinks after. That seems minimally problematic to me. Though maybe you're talking about the problematic aspects of "I specifically want to enjoy that I am killing these other intelligent creatures," in which case, agreed, that is going to be a problematic thing to actively enjoy even if those creatures are deserving, though I think there's a complicated discussion to be had about how able we are to change problematic aspects of ourselves vs finding outlets for them that aren't damaging to anyone, and D&D-as-murder-simulator plays into that.

It’s all fun and games until you’re last picked for your dungeonball team