Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Anyone got that picture of Rients dressed as the camel-toe lady from the Exalted book? It’s :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Justin Achilli was responsible for Vampire Revised’s bad centrist take on the sects where “the Camarilla
and Sabbat are both bad, but the Cam’s the Hard Men who Make Hard Choices while the Anarchs whine about “rights” and “equality”, so I’m less than sanguine about this.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Shadow of the Mad Perfectly Reasonable Wizard who wears a pointed hat

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I agree with the sentiment but it looks like something that would be painted on the side of a serial killer's van.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Falstaff posted:

I'm familiar with the situation around Truman, but who is Andrew Medeiros and what did he do?

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, this. Why would I want to know this Medeiros guy is out? What did he do?

I would like to know about this too.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I actually think werewolves are the most boring part of their own setting.

You have this cool pitiless Shadow Realm filled with 80s horror movie monsters coming into our world and warping it and causing havoc.

Which seems like a great antagonist for actual humans to fight, perfect for a Hunter game.

But instead of the cool variety of compacts and Conspiracies to take on the spirit world, you get... “X-Men, but everybody’s Wolverine.”

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dear INTERNET,

I am deeply sorry that I DID A SEXISM ON TWITTER. I know it was my fault. I never meant for that to happen. I never dreamed it could.

I am also sorry that YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T CHECK MY FACEBOOK HISTORY and that I THOUGHT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG WAS JUST A SYMBOL OF SOUTHERN PRIDE HONEST for a little while. I hope you feel the same way.

I mean this. I mean every word.

- TG INDUSTRY

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 17, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I don’t bother with a mapper even I’m running an OSR dungeon. We start off with the assumption that the group’s basic equipment includes chalk to mark off dungeon walls as they go so they can find their way back.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Ed Greenwood in a single article:

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/local-creep-enthusiastically-sex-positive/

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nothing to add regarding gin, but can confirm that port is an excellent, underrated tipple.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Interesting, everyone seems to agree Eminem just ate up his market share. This is from a Mad Magazine from around the same time.

Inaccurate. Manson only strangles women.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

FMguru posted:

He's a libertarian (understandably so, given what the USSS tried to do to him).

SJG aligned themselves with chuds when they defended their relationship with Frog God Games.

"Excuse me, we're called SJG games, not SJW games." :smug:

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Mr.Misfit posted:

I find this highly fascinating, and if I may ask,
is the immediate logic here that: "someone who follows the basic logic that you can only recognize something as worthy if its referential"
necessarily fascist or is it something like one of the pillars of authoritarian thought?
Basically reactionary ideologies require this thinking, whether ìts fascist nor not? Or is this mindset always fascist?

Reverence of the past isn't necessarily fascist, just as an archaeologist isn't, by virtue of their subject, fascist. What separates the historian's view of the past from the fascist's view of the past is critical thinking. A fascist, unlike a good historian, looks at the past uncritically and expects the world to conform to that warped, idealized view of history.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Strahd is a man of privilege and power who uses his position to exploit and abuse others without consequence and to relentlessly pursue young, vulnerable women.

He’s the most accurate portrayal of an old white guy yet.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

He literally gave an """""interview""""" earlier today decrying how the woman on the cover of Sports Illustrated is a crime against beauty and masculinity and god.

He’s right.

I don’t know what they were thinking by featuring Elon Musk’s mom. :wink:

(Also lol at Lobster Boy flipping out over a plus-size model when that was the beauty standard of most of the Western Classical thinkers he constantly wanks off about)

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 9, 2022

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

This is just such a bizarre business model to me because she feels like such a sub d-list celebrity? Like, prior to this controversy dropping I had absolutely no idea who this woman was and still have very little idea as to what she's actually popular for besides "Appearing adjacent to some D&D-related projects" and "Used to be an adult actress".

There are a nonzero number of sad male nerds who are willing to sit through a mediocre D&D game if at one point they got to see grainy video of the DM’s bleached rear end in a top hat.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

all futa space marines

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Glad Hite’s ok, but… two guys with guns and a getaway vehicle seems like a lot of overkill to steal one guy’s wallet and old laptop? Seems sus

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

HidaO-Win posted:

To quote someone on this topic.

It's a game about the world giving you big claws and muscles and magic gifts to help you get within arm's reach of those people. It is a game about righteous, murderous anger. It's a game about running down the worst people in the entire world and ripping out their guts with your teeth while they're still alive and screaming.

(This is crystal clear in the 1e corebook, and massively diluted in every book that followed because it's incredibly difficult to keep that kind of intensity going or communicate it to freelancers who aren't emotionally invested to the same degree as the game's original authors.)”

Its the frustrated eco-warrior RPG, we don’t have a lot of those. One could argue its time is coming again.

I’d argue that the frustrated eco-warrior RPG is already here… in the form of Deviant.

Seriously; Deviant captures all of that rage and the satisfaction of righteous vengeance. But you can play something that’s not a werewolf. Even if you want to, it lets you play a werewolf that isn’t constrained by all the ugly misappropriated cultural baggage and sometimes eco-fascist tendencies of W:tA.

It makes the stakes far more personal, as well. The corporations ruining the world are also the same ones that made you the monster that you are. Not only are you driven mechanically to ruin the lives of those responsible, you’re rewarded for it. You are explicitly given the tools to represent the bastards ruining the world and to make them pay.

tl;dr, Deviant is a better version of Werewolf than either game called Werewolf

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2023

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

King of Solomon posted:

This might just be how Gatto Grigio is running it, but Deviant definitely has that vibe to it.

I gotta do right by Kamen Rider! :D

Admittedly, I may be biased in that we designed the target Conspiracy in our game as a global biotech megacorp, so comparisons to stuff like Pentex will be more direct. You can make your Conspiracy a corporation, but it can also be a government, a cult, a criminal syndicate, etc.

But the core facet that unites all the Conspiracies in Deviant is that they are all willing to exploit and permanently damage human beings in order to achieve their goals (otherwise they wouldn't be creating or seeking out Deviants). The game presents the same degree of exigency seen in Werewolf and its conflict with The Wyrm, or Mage with its Ascension War, but provides what is - at least to me - a much more nuanced and relatable portrayal of those conflicts.

The Web of Pain presents corporations that do as much active harm in the name of greed as Pentex, but without the excuse of being commanded by a cosmic force of entropy. It presents shadowy Deep-State organizations that wield oppression in the name of hegemony as much as the Technocracy, but without the excuse of providing the advances of modernity.

The Web of Pain represents the hierarchies that are oppressing all of us and destroying the world in the name of profit and ideology, but they are stripped of the essentialist excuses, revealing the exact same naked greed that motivates the hierarchies of today.

Then it gives you the tools to destroy them. :getin:

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 26, 2023

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

BinaryDoubts posted:

I grew up as a Canadian with an oddly-specific grasp on 90's American office culture and liberal politics thanks to the volume of Dilbert and Bloom County comics scattered around my house.

I got bad news about Dilbert…

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

This discussion is great; not awful and tedious at all

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Then someone should post a more interesting topic.

Quick, someone mention 4e!

Ratcatcher got nerfed :(

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

My biggest issues with both versions of Werewolf as a game was that they make each individual werewolf too strong and there’s little to differentiate between different werwolf PCs mechanically.

Like IRL wolves aren’t effective predators because they destroy anything in their path. They’re effective
because they are social predators who can use pack tactics to take down larger animals. A single wolf fighting a moose or a bear is a dead wolf. Yet these games decide to make werewolves these unstoppable killing machines where even a single one can take down an entire group of humans or other supernaturals. The only incentive to be in a pack is “well, the GM wants more than one player”, and so they resemble less werewolves of folklore and more “The Incredible Hulk with fur and claws” and any sense of tactics or problem solving is reduced to “hit it until it can’t soak anymore aggravated damage.”

Then you have all the Auspice/Tribe traits that are supposed to create some distinction between PCs, but all these really boil down to is “a grab bag of powers, none of which is as reliable as turning into a murder machine.”

For all of Vampire’s flaws, it was good at establishing a baseline of what every vampire PC could do while also having enough mechanical variance for each PC to have a specific niche (Brujah had good combat Disciplines, Ventrue could social encounters, Malks were better at infiltration, etc).

It’d be nice to have the ability to make a werewolf that is *bad* at combat, but with the default stat boosts and adds of all the forms, that’s not really possible.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Same, as well as for the writers of Deviant, which feels like the best thing to come out of the CofD in a long time.

I’d argue that Deviant is actually more of a spiritual successor to W:tA than Forsaken is, in terms of thematic similarity. In both Deviant and Apocalypse, you are a superpowered being defined by your righteous anger against the forces corrupting the world. But it’s even more personal, because they corrupted *you* as well. So you have the same gameplay loop of constant superhuman guerilla warfare between you and your found family vs. the systems hurting us all.

It’s the “Doom Patrol vs. The Military-Industrial Complex” game I’ve always wanted, as opposed to the “X-Men, but everyone is the worst versions of Wolverine” game that W:tA became.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Dark Troopers have always been droids. Some people did not play Dark Forces and it shows. :smugdog:

I thought the Dark Troopers were inbetween droid and human, aka cyborgs

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Star Trek is extremely poor at examining its own setting and if you ever want to make trekkies mad, keep asking why every starfleet officer's family seems to own a shitload of valuable real estate in a society where nobody is supposed to own anything

Worldbuilding nerd answer: Even if you only include the Alpha Quadrant, the Milky Way Galaxy is vast enough that anyone who really wants land can find an uninhabited M-class planet (aka, suitable for supporting human life) and plant stakes there. The stabilized population growth we see in industrialized nations exists to an even greater degree in a post-Warp civilization. Replicator technology means that arable land is no longer a necessity, and the demand for real estate in Earth drops when Warp technology makes land across the galaxy more accessible.

(The servers at Sisko’s benefit from the same level of universal basic income as everyone else in the Federation. They don’t need wages or tips; if they are serving, it’s because they genuinely enjoy the work. Being a server or a
restaurant owner is more like a hobby than a necessity. They can always find something new to do without any economic consequence.)

Glib answer: Trek is an American show, and so it’s written by privileged people who have lived with accessible capital and real estate for most of their lives, so, for all of their utopianism, they can’t even conceive of a world where private land ownership no longer exists.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

I remember an argument that sometimes showed up in the stuff posted to the old grognards.txt threads was people complaining that too many non-human characters in a party led to "Mos Eisley Cantina Syndrome" and it was such a weird thing to read because the Mos Eisley Cantina was cool as poo poo and I can't understand how someone could view a game feeling like that is a bad thing...

It’s not a bad thing on its own, but I can understand how a fantasy setting with a lot of playable nonhuman characters would not appeal to someone who’s preferred flavor of fantasy would be premodern mythology, fairy and folktales.

In those tales, the focus is on humans exploring the space between the known and the unknown. Adventurers do what they do because the world around them is largely uncharted and Here Be Monsters beyond the borders of the kingdom. Even elves and dwarves are capricious, immortal beings who live in ways far beyond human context. In a medieval fairy tale, a Dragonborn would be a unique being that represented the ultimate hybrid of the familiar with the strange and terrifying. A tiefling would be the product of a forbidden union with dark powers that few would speak of, for fear of attracting their gaze (in some versions Arthurian legend, Merlin would qualify as a tiefling).

It is far harder to create that sense of mystery and the fantastic if The Minotaur goes from “a misbegotten child of a god roaming a terrible labyrinth” to “the guy who tends bar.” If creatures of myth live extensively among humans and mimic human culture, then they’re really just humans in funny costumes. I feel the same about too much ubiquitous magic in a setting. If magic is too common, reliable, and safe to use, it just becomes another appliance.

But then again, if you’re trying to catch the vibe of premodern fantasy fiction, D&D is probably not the game you will want to play.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

spectralent posted:

The thing that fucks with this is that IRL the weirdest people are exactly the kinds of people who'd become adventurers. It's why IRL pirates and cowboys were usually weirdos and not statistically average selections of the world population.

Sure, but they were weird and still human. They were weird because of their worldview or actions, or because they came from a culture outside of the norm.

Conversely, I’ve met more that one player who refuses to play human characters because they think “humans are boring”, and I find that mindboggling considering the incredible variety of cultures, phenotypes, ideas, and philosophies created by humanity on Earth alone. Human shouldn’t always have to mean “generic white guy.”

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Maybe they can just sic their good friends, The Pinkertons, on those extra SKUs

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Palladium TMNT was laser-focused on the Eastman/Laird comics that were more satirical and packed with 80 action-movie style violence.I doubt it would hold much appeal to even a current TMNT fan. Most older and younger fans’ focus now is the brighter aesthetic that was launched by the 90s cartoon and has molded the franchise ever since.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

CABOT?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

What’s really funny about Outlaw of Gor (the movie) is that it’s mostly a standard, dumb 80’s Cannon Films sword-and-sandals fantasy movie with some names from the books.

So it still clears the incredibly low bar of being better than the books, by virtue of expressing such controversial takes as “slavery is bad” and “men shouldn’t have sex with women without their consent.”

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Midjack posted:

As we saw with ghostbusters.

Was Afterlife more successful than I thought? Because I still hear people talk about the 2016 Ghostbusters movie all the time (for good or ill), yet I don’t even know anyone who’s *seen* Afterlife.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Ghostbusters was a supernatural action-adventure movie played mostly straight by very funny people. Leaning into either full-on comedy (2016), or super-serious (Afterlife) doesn't work. You need to thread the needle.

Leaning into full-on comedy absolutely would have made 2016 Ghostbusters a better movie.

The only really cringey part of the movie was that dumb scene where we see each Ghostbuster blasting away ghosts in bullet-time action sequences. It was such a desperate try-hard way to make them all look “cool and badass” that would have been much better if it were played for comedy.

Just like the first Ghostbusters wouldn’t have been improved if you added a part where Egon is blasting away ghouls with proton guns akimbo like in a John Woo movie.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Kibner posted:

Maybe there is a better thread for this question, but what was the name of the unhinged game where the players were part of a matriarchal community of communist witches? I think they also turned men into animals and killed and ate them or something? A friend is trying to remember the name of it for some forsaken reason and now my brain won't let me stop trying to find it, either.

The funny thing is that, if played for irony, this would make a great cabal for an Unknown Armies game.

Make them all TERF Trump supporters and you can call them Bellum MAGA :D

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

quote:

Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Lurks With Wolves posted:

To be fair, I feel like the point is less that you need high-level play to do JRPG protagonist things and more that JRPGs are long and you want a long advancement curve if you're going to do the amount of stuff you do in the average Dragon Quest without either slowing advancement down too much or running out halfway through.

EDIT: That and "I started this campaign doing high level politics, and now I'm doing moon politics with ancient spyrits" is still a pretty JRPG thing to do. You don't necessarily need to lock that kind of gameplay behind high levels to do this. Also I literally just realized your example is 4e, why are you using a game with 30 levels as an example of how you don't need a long advancement curve? It's literally an example of what I'm suggesting, where you don't really need high-level play but you want it so you can play a campaign with an absurd length and feel like you're advancing properly the entire time.

4e’s got the issue where high-level play works almost exactly like low-level play. You’re still doing the same basic stuff - wandering adventures, dungeon crawling with big combat set pieces - at level 30 as in level 1. The numbers are higher (and prone to slow things down) and the monsters more impressive (go from “fighting goblins in a cave” to “fighting the host of the Goblin God in a cave within the Elemental Chaos”), but it’s the exact same loop.There’s no rules or expectation of domain play, or any suggestion that PCs gain any more agency beyond the ability to fight tougher monsters as a party unit.

On the flipside, I’ve seen few games, D&D or otherwise, that actually pull off domain play in a satisfying way. Best I’ve found is Godbound. It has the excellent idea of abstracting the transactions done in domain play through Dominion points that PCs cash in to create resources or affect political change on a scale from local to global. It’s also flexible enough that PCs have the option of large Dominion spends to instantly expand their domain, or smaller spends to create change more directly, ex. building up an army so you can wage war against as nation.

It helps that the Godbound mass combat rules are easy and intuitive; a necessary requirement for good domain play and something that no edition of D&D has really had beyond “buy Chainmail (tm)!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Bar Crow posted:

4e is good because it admits it is D&D and doesn't pretend it turns into a different, poorly supported game at high levels. If you want a domain management game then you should just start with one.

We don’t need more people gatekeeping what they think D&D is “supposed to be.” Eventual domain play has been a part of the game since its beginning. It’s a sensible narrative arc (if you’re getting rich off of treasure, why wouldn’t you invest in letting people do the dangerous dungeon crawling for you? What good is looting gold if you can’t actually spend it on anything?) and some people like a game that evolves into a different process. I could easily turn the tables on you and say that if you want a skirmish wargame with minis, you should go play Warhammer.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 17, 2023