Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Their xenophobia and hated of things different than themselves I recall was created as reference to how all artists drew Beholders so differently, and in reference to the " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" saying. Gazers tend to look like mini versions of the Beholder that spawned them, so true Beholders tend to be more tolerant of them.

Beholders could also sometimes spawn exact copies of themselves that they were more tolerant of as well. Though they have to be exact, even minor details being different will make Beholders want to kill each other on sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Splicer posted:

Inspiration still capped at 1 and you still have feats like "add prof bonus to initiative" in the same pool as "craft items 20% faster"

Never change guys :allears:

If you get more than one Inspiration you can give it to an ally however.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Warthur posted:

It may well end up being a 1E/2E situation, where the backward compatibility amounted to you being able to pick up a 1E adventure and more or less run it fine in 2E, not everything in 2E being able to map onto something in 1E exactly. (Reason THAC0 lasted as long as it did was that flipping to ascending AC would have conflicted with that, for instance - but not having some classes or spells available is less big of a deal because people can just substitute in a closest approximation).

This is more or less my impression.

DalaranJ posted:

Let me pitch a name for this.

“One D&D: And this, is to go even further D&DBeyond.”
This is the winner to me.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Which sounds better as a pitch, a game everyone has heard of or a game that’s new and different?

Well it’s also new version of popular game everyone has heard of and you might be able to influence the direction of the game a bit with your feedback.

Both have merits. We could try and promote multiple things.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

I do not think that moving a thread to Goons with Spoons will have much effect on WotC's business decisions.

I do not think it will, but part of the current thing about One D&D is that it’s a playtest they will be sending surveys on. Some people will think they might be able to influence the game due to that. Though it’s not very likely unless it’s a big group with similar opinions.

Though if enough people ask I think something like bringing the Warlord back is possible.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Kai Tave posted:

Based on what people who have worked for WotC and attended D&D meetings have said about the prevailing attitudes of the lead design team, they seem to have a pretty firm and unyielding internal house vision for what D&D is meant to be, and so I kind of doubt that any amount of open playtesting or petitioning is actually going to meaningfully push things outside of the framework they've already decided is the correct one. Or to put it another way, I think the only real changes that playtesting are likely to produce are things the team is already predisposed to, and "let's just forget the Warlord existed" has been pretty clear since D&D Next.

There has been a large amount of change up in the Team since Next, which is why I think it's possible if there is enough demand.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Tsilkani posted:

We managed to run Mearls off Twitter, too.

Not that it ever meant much. :negative:

He's not part of D&D anymore.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Arivia posted:

Today’s announcement suggests they’re trying to split the difference, admitting they were wrong about some things while not conceding others.

Some of the stuff they are saying I am not actually against.

Though I agree unless they want to produce for D&D there is no reason for other companies to go back to them.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Ash Rose posted:

Come on now, we all know the stats should be

-Gel Viscosity
-Man Grit
-Majyks
-Pulchritude
-Cache Limit

Stats need to make an acronym.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

PST posted:

Kyle's accout on D&D beyond was created specifically to post that message. Because D&D is so much a part of his life he didn't have a work d&d beyond accout despite that also being a huge part of the business.

That depends. He might have had a private account, and today was the day he needed to make a work one.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

The current FAQ for the OGL stuff

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1433-ogl-1-2-where-to-find-the-latest-information-plus

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Looks like the JP D&D Team has thought up some good cross promotion

https://twitter.com/OsakaStarling/status/1641446952176087043

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

hyphz posted:

WotC hasn’t cared about design for a while. They left the key numbers off the dungeon map on a recent module.

The current D&D team for sure cares about design. And the Dungeon Map complaint from that one review was a pretty terrible one, all the dungeon maps but one have numbers, the reason the last one does not have numbers is because it's a boss fight chamber that does not need them.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Liquid Communism posted:

They did a million Total War games.

Total War is not a CRPG.