Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Scurvy in the Arctic was a funny thing, because it took them a ridiculously long time to figure out that it wasn't caused by spoiled food.

My understanding is that they sort of lost the knowledge of fortifying one's diet with vitamin C. For a long time, they had been providing sailors with citrus juice that had been processed and bottled in such a way that it destroyed most of the vitamin C content. But no one noticed, because by that time, everyone was using steamships and sailors weren't at sea long enough to develop scurvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can't you just turn potato peels into lovely vodka?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, I've had the J Wray. Not sure what to tell you; I've used a bit of it to preserve fruit syrups, and I've used it to strengthen infused liqueurs. For such a strong rum, it tastes surprisingly little like kerosene, but I'm not drinking it on the rocks or anything.

That price is high. Virginia ABC has high prices, but they sell it for $27 USD (which is still a few CAD less than that).

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When I was building houses in the summer, I was a lot more amenable to getting up as early as possible so I could end work after the hottest part of the day. And if you have to mow your lawn without podcasts and weed, I guess rum is probably the next best thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As far as I know, I haven't had fish with mace. It seems odd.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's nothing I can't oversalt. The first time I made Sunday gravy, the salt grinder exploded over the pot. Even after whisking out as much as I could, it was really salty.

The fourth time, I decided to salt-cure the beef overnight. Which made for very good, very salty beef.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Triple or quadruple the garlic in every recipe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just eat enough fresh seal and you'll be fine.

https://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm
Thank you! I was trying to find this again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Heh, I posted that in the alt-right thread.

The one about meat rabbits kills me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
gently caress, I can't remember how long the orangecello has even been in the pantry...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So how about that ploughman's lunch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Speaking of which, I'm confused by the discussion of "dripping" as a major portion of an English coal miner's lunch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone have good sources on how they made applejack back in the day? It was apparently extremely popular in colonial America, and now there are very few distilleries making it--Laird's being presumably the best known and doing the most volume, and they're based here in VA. I have a homebrew kit I haven't used yet, and I'm thinking about making cider and freeze-distilling some of it if it comes out well. Most of what's on the market is adulterated with neutral grain spirits.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 4, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Aw, gently caress. I just want to enjoy some American apple brandy that isn't 49% "not good enough to sell on its own" vodka and also won't make my optic nerves explode. Back to Calvados.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Where in VA are you, Jack? (You can PM me if you don't want to say it here.) I live near Franklin County, the bootlegging capital of VA, and since restrictions have become more lax, there's a thriving --and legal --- boom in small craft distilleries around here. I might be able to hook you up.

My husband and I also make gourmet apple butter as a side business, and can get #2 apples (the ones too ugly to sell to supermarkets) dirt cheap from a number of local farmers, if you press your own cider.
I'm just north of Charlottesville. I don't go down to the Roanoke area much; my uncle used to live there but died many years ago. But it would be worth it to buy craft applejack--around here it's mostly vodka and gin, with some rum.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I keep saying I'm going to make nocino, but I'm always too busy during the narrow window when I can gather green walnuts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My grandfather got used to weak or substitute coffee during the Depression and the war, and it wasn't until the 90s that he figured out he could drink real, strong coffee again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Last thing I did in New Orleans before I came home.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So when I read a bunch of newspapers from the 30s, a common advertisement was for "dated coffee." The idea was that stale coffee gives you jitters that fresh coffee doesn't, and this brand of coffee stamped the date that it was packaged.

It was probably Wesson Oil bullshit, but Idunno, maybe coffee was packaged much differently then and stale coffee was noticeably lower in quality.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's still around, but I don't think they have distribution to grocery stores anymore. Definitely a boutique product now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Who wants to make President Eisenhower's beef stew?
I'm going to make it tomorrow or Thursday.

With rutabaga, because the stores are out of potatoes.

Edit: Oh, does it call for pearl onions? Gonna have to dice a big one; I'm not going to the store again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I did make the Eisenhower soup, but I'm not sure I can say it's a very similar recipe, since I replaced all the root vegetables with rutabaga and the pearl onions with chopped onions. Pretty good, though. Idunno if the rutabaga made it slightly sweet or if that was the tomatoes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Tomato pie" still shows up on menus in Philly. It sounded completely disgusting to me until I realized it's just flatbread with sauce on it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought sweet and sour sauce was white people sweet and sour sauce.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm still kind of baffled by most Asian carryout style places because I've never familiarized myself with the most common dishes and what they mean. Is kung pao style good? If it's good with chicken is it good with shrimp? gently caress, I can't remember. I'm trying to figure out what vegetables come with it and if they're overcooked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I want to try that. I'm afraid that the seasoning would be burnt before I cooked the chops through; I guess I could finish them in the over or cook them more slowly on lower heat. I have some mushrooms to use up, so I'd add them to the gravy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made switchel the other day (apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger, and water) and it's quite pleasant. The recipe I used called for equal portions of vinegar and honey, with about 1/2 cup vinegar per gallon of water, but I think I probably could have doubled the vinegar at least and still had pretty decent results.
I just bottled some ginger liqueur; what's the recipe???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It was a mild scandal that Starbucks used cochineal extract in their frozen drinks. They stopped doing it a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Heh, my aunt included a variation on that in our family cookbook. (Yes, my extended family is large enough that we published a cookbook, and if there's ever a second edition there will be a new section on cocktails.)