Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks.

I assume I would have to start a new game to be able to research and build the hyper relays etc?

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

That's a hell of a prank.

"We really wanted to remove this ugly planet from our maps, but according to our laws, planet removal is just not legal. We had to find a workaround." -the Tyranids

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

15 years into the game, the first AI empire begs to become my vassal. 30 years into the game, the second. I know I was only playing on captain but come on! 20 corvettes is not a loving massive fleet that should make anyone bow down in submission. How hard is it to adjust the modifiers for that to be somewhat functional? Maybe get their thumbs out and wipe the drool off their keyboards and do some work. :rant:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Poil posted:

I barely ever play gestalts, they're not as fun as regular empires to me.

well, if you wanna be boring there is determined exterminators

isn't espionage base patch? i thought nemesis was all the extra "become the crisis" stuff, which seems decently done

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

well, if you wanna be boring there is determined exterminators

isn't espionage base patch? i thought nemesis was all the extra "become the crisis" stuff, which seems decently done

the base infiltration system technically exists without Nemesis so you can e.g. assign a diplomat for several years to get vision on your rival's claimed territory, but there's only one espionage operation which is "infiltrate harder" so if you want to do any actual espionage you need the DLC

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Poil posted:

15 years into the game, the first AI empire begs to become my vassal. 30 years into the game, the second. I know I was only playing on captain but come on! 20 corvettes is not a loving massive fleet that should make anyone bow down in submission. How hard is it to adjust the modifiers for that to be somewhat functional? Maybe get their thumbs out and wipe the drool off their keyboards and do some work. :rant:

I have a save file where a 45k grey tempest fleet just popped out of a gate in my territory. My fleet consists of 4.5k fleet power worth of corvettes. :shepface:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Guys I gots questions

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

T I M E
I S
S I G H T

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When it comes to the scion origin, does your fallen empire overlord come to your defense if you're attacked?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

two fish posted:

When it comes to the scion origin, does your fallen empire overlord come to your defense if you're attacked?

Sometimes, but it's by giving you a fleet, not joining the war directly.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Oh. What's the main point of scion, then? Just RP?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

two fish posted:

Oh. What's the main point of scion, then? Just RP?

There aren't too many major mechanical changes. I think it mostly provides free resources, fleets, leaders, etc.

So yeah, mostly RP. Gives you a chance to play on respectful terms with a Fallen Empire. Or to outgrow and then beat up your dad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LonsomeSon posted:

T I M E
I S
S I G H T

I haven’t had the horizon signal in years. I really want to experience that again.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

ConfusedUs posted:

I haven’t had the horizon signal in years. I really want to experience that again.

Didn't they change that so that it has a 5% chance of spawning per game, and can spawn on any black hole in the galaxy? The odds of any single player getting that are just crazy low now, seems like a very unnecessary nerf for such a cool event.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
Some things that I wish were easier to do:

Conquering a new word and painstakingly having to go through every single species to see if anyone is not nerve stapled is a hassle. I wish there was an option that let you just nerve staple/change all of the species at once. Or at least a filter, so I don't have to read every single one.

Breaking up federations should be doable, but I can't seem to find a way to do it. Only way is through espionage, correct?

I should not have to reenable the automatic investigation of science ships, construction ships work a charm, though.

Piracy is just a goddamn waste of time, and sometimes trade routes go through the weirdest places and then you have to have your patrols just being weird too. I have 15 patrol fleets and I hate it.

By the way, the Sentry Array is (I think) bugged, because I built it and now I can't see the piracy icon on the trade route.

I took the ascension perk that gives a 50% bonus on building megastructures and +1 Megastructure, but so far I cannot build an extra one. I think I misread it, it probably meant I could build two at a time.

I've been having a blast, though.

EDIT: By the way, why can't I reorder my fleets? I want them numbered how I like (big fleets first and then the patrols), but now I cannot do this! SAD!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it at all possible to break up a federation?
Yeah it's +1 megastructure under construction at the same time.
No idea if it's possible to reorder. I haven't found it. Same with construction ships and science ships as well.

An enemy empire took control of one of my starbases and while I quickly got it back it apparently broke the trade route from it so it sent no value back to my capital until I manually reset it. :sigh:

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Poil posted:

Is it at all possible to break up a federation?
Yeah it's +1 megastructure under construction at the same time.
No idea if it's possible to reorder. I haven't found it. Same with construction ships and science ships as well.

An enemy empire took control of one of my starbases and while I quickly got it back it apparently broke the trade route from it so it sent no value back to my capital until I manually reset it. :sigh:

I think that If you use espionage well enough, you can break their relations so much that some will leave the federation. I think.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Splicer posted:

Guys I gots questions

Lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was an asteroid they captured for use as part of the build

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it was an asteroid they captured for use as part of the build
Voidborne origin so maybe it's a bit of exploded planet that got lodged in the frame? My guys' backstory is they're a bunch of air regulation flora that evolved in the abandoned space station, maybe the builders put it there and the planet got eaten by the worm.

The really worrying bit is that nobody seems overly concerned that my big glass bubble full of air had an earthquake.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What would be the best way to tackle a massive genocidal empire that has hit my doorstep? It only has a single path to me since there's a fallen empire in the way, but these guys control a quarter of the galaxy and have overwhelming fleet power compared to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

two fish posted:

What would be the best way to tackle a massive genocidal empire that has hit my doorstep? It only has a single path to me since there's a fallen empire in the way, but these guys control a quarter of the galaxy and have overwhelming fleet power compared to me.

A big fat bastion in the chokepoint. Defensive stations are generally way stronger than fleets, especially during the first half of the game.

Getting various bonuses to Defensive wars also helps, as well as getting friends.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If your precursors are the Zron, the Zroni stormcaster is an absolutely fantastic defensive building. Refit your ships to be all armor and no shields, take only anti-armor weapons, and shred those ships with their non-functioning shields.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

two fish posted:

Huge gently caress-off starbase in a chokepoint with a garrisoned fleet: the space equivalent of a very spiky wall.

Rejigger everything to maximize alloy production, see what kinda ship components they're using and make your fleet/defenses perfectly counter it.

Once you win, you'll become the genocidal empire just FYI

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 18, 2024

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Also don't sleep on combat edicts and relic buffs when the fight is coming.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've pushed through restartitis to give the game the best run I've had in a while and there's a bunch of good stuff but also so much weird kruft. Edicts - good idea. Everything about the rare resource edicts - the dumbest bullshit. The Astral tears - cool tbh. They're just Ancient Relics 2 but they're well done. Astral Actions can gently caress right off screaming at me for decades that I can press the button to give myself a speed boost / why isn't that a loving edict /.

Strategic resources (ignoring the edicts) are slightly less annoying now that there's more ways to get them but they're still just an ignorable box-ticking exercise. In that I pick a crap planet and set it to refinery world + planet automation and tick the box to let it build the refineries as I need them.

Armies are better now because they barely matter anymore but they're still just enough around to be grating.

I want to enjoy the ancient techs but half of them feed into the pointless garbage of the ship designer.

Like I'm genuinely having a lot of fun, but my god does the game want to give that fun the death of a thousand cuts.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
I'd also just try and take the genocidal empire, when they get too big you'll have to fight them either way and the resulting vacuum will make you have stronger contenders, at least that's what happened in my game and I had two power blocks that I've been slowly dismantling every 10 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I killed a voidcloud, with three small fleets, but it didn't drop any debris so I couldn't scan it and get the lightning zapper. :(

Splicer posted:

I want to enjoy the ancient techs but half of them feed into the pointless garbage of the ship designer.
The ancient refinery is great but the weapons often just seem worse than the stuff you already have, and they require artifacts to equip?

Splicer posted:

Like I'm genuinely having a lot of fun, but my god does the game want to give that fun the death of a thousand cuts.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 19, 2024

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Poil posted:

The ancient refinery is great but the weapons often just seem worse than the stuff you already have, and they require artifacts to equip?

The thing that always gets me is that ship upgrades will just stop and wait until there are enough artifacts to do the next ship. I really want a way to put those things in resource silos because they're always around until I need them.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I've restarted my space vampire crisis run several times now, my best run was laid low by a patch making my savegame unstable and every run since then has been a disaster.

One of my recent runs was going really well, but the Khan woke up very close to me. Very close, since I had a wormhold (created by an event) that led from one of my home systems directly into the Khan's space. So I was the first to get attacked, no possibility of stopping him from destroying all my core worlds, so I immediately surrendered upon losing my fleets+bastion in the wormhole system.

I became a satrapy, which actually wasn't that bad, it gave me some breathing room to improve my economy and rebuild my fleets while the Khan went to work on some of my rivals (and allies). Meanwhile the entire galaxy (except me) started to get together in a mega-alliance to oppose the khan. The Khan later died, very very early, leaving me the only major galactic power not in the mega-alliance. Guess what happened next?

With nearly the entire galaxy declaring war on me it was basically the end of a crisis run, but before I had even picked up the ascension perk for all the goodies and bonuses. I just walked away from that one after the alliance pretty effortlessly broke through one of my outer bastions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's kind of lol as the story of a wannabe galactic supervillain getting loving chumped repeatedly.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They're Comte de Saint-Germain
Yes Comte de Saint-Germain
One is a genius
The other's insane

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I have so many planets with hardly any pops on. I've got like 4 migration treaties and I've just integrated 2 of my vessels to clean up the border gore. But jesus..

I'm the biggest power in my game right now, thankfully but there's so much room for improvement..I may need to spend the next 100 just reorganising planets and generating pops.

I may have to annoy my factions and enable the production of robits

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I have so many planets with hardly any pops on. I've got like 4 migration treaties and I've just integrated 2 of my vessels to clean up the border gore. But jesus..

I'm the biggest power in my game right now, thankfully but there's so much room for improvement..I may need to spend the next 100 just reorganising planets and generating pops.

I may have to annoy my factions and enable the production of robits
The scourge showed up in Not My Problem land. Or so I thought... I'm very glad my economy was massively overtuned and all my planets overbuilt in case they showed up on my side because my population just doubled due to refugees.

I was gearing up to build a ringworld so I could depop some planets but now I'm not sure one will be enough.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
My previous "win" game was as broken shackles origin, I also gained a lot of power from migration treaties and refugees.

As my space vampires (authoritarian/militarist/spritualist) I've basically been rejecting migration treaties, partially for RP and partially to prevent my founder pops from winding up on the slave market. But it's got me thinking about the actual mechanics of the migration treaties, how is is calulated? I've always assumed that migration treaties are not great for authoritarians, because your pops will want to migrate away (residence is better than indentured servitude) but no one will want to migrate to a nation where they will be enslaved. Does it even work like that? I have no idea.

If it's just a flat population growth boost at the cost of influence, it seems like a no-brainer as long as you have the inf to spend.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm authoritarian, perhaps why I'm not getting too much migration.

I think I may go raiding for pops actually. The khan showed up between me and my neighbour and got stomped by the neighbour while I was dealing with the gray tempest.

I'm only playing captain, but it's the highest I've ever gone with the difficulty before so I'm actually quite proud of myself right now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My previous "win" game was as broken shackles origin, I also gained a lot of power from migration treaties and refugees.

As my space vampires (authoritarian/militarist/spritualist) I've basically been rejecting migration treaties, partially for RP and partially to prevent my founder pops from winding up on the slave market. But it's got me thinking about the actual mechanics of the migration treaties, how is is calulated? I've always assumed that migration treaties are not great for authoritarians, because your pops will want to migrate away (residence is better than indentured servitude) but no one will want to migrate to a nation where they will be enslaved. Does it even work like that? I have no idea.

If it's just a flat population growth boost at the cost of influence, it seems like a no-brainer as long as you have the inf to spend.

I have definitely seen pops migrate to my systems just so they could be assimilated into robot bodies. Keep getting notifications about species with unused points every time they show up. :argh:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

partially to prevent my founder pops from winding up on the slave market.

What's the mechanical effect of this? I've been getting a lot of notification spam about my founding species being on the market, but I can't tell if it has any effect? My planets are all high stability, pops are happy enough. My ethics are fanatic militarist and spiritual.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Judgy Fucker posted:

What's the mechanical effect of this? I've been getting a lot of notification spam about my founding species being on the market, but I can't tell if it has any effect? My planets are all high stability, pops are happy enough. My ethics are fanatic militarist and spiritual.

there's no downside other than message spam, it just means you can buy them and have more of "your" species' pops without having to wait for growth/cloning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah that feels like a courtesy prompt: “hey want more 100% habitability pops for your homeworld? They’re on the market.”

Of course it’s a game where notification spam is a frequently-remarked-on flaw but this one actually has some utility, if you’ve got the energy for it. Hire some more researchers, shuffle some homeworld robots off to the colonies to pad out numbers.