Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Started my first game played for an hour, realised I'd forgot to pick species traits. Welp, time for a restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

pmchem posted:

How do I queue up research? So I don't have to pop into research menus all the time, especially early game, selecting various techs?

Similarly, is there a way to automate construction ships so that they operate kind of like civ4's automated workers? Building mining/research stations everywhere in my domain, etc.?

I've always wondered, if a tech comes up on the random roll, can you research like a month of it and switch to something else, to make sure it's there for later? Do people actually do that kind of minmaxing?

\/\/\/\/E: Fair enough, I'd never actually tried it, but I've wondered from time to time. I suppose if it were doable, people'd be suggesting it all the time.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 26, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Talking of horizon signal - I don't think I'm even done with the storyline yet, but my egalitarian spiritualists now have a single 100% militaristic faction who don't even seem pissed off with their ethos. Unrestricted war is allowed now, and once I pick up the supremacy tree they should be perfectly happy. Do I need to reform my government, or...?

(Main reason I ask is because I think I got this far once before, but with a pacifist society, so that just tanked everything)

E: Spoilers in case.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 26, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dockworker posted:

Has anyone found the L-gate event way too powerful for a "mid game event"? The nanobots can basically spawn infinite fleets that kill everything in one hit. Even using massed corvettes (which seems to be the best strategy given their death lasers) I was still not able to even find their base with a 75k fleet. Exploration is also screwy in the L-cluster: normally my sensors should let me see into the next system, but I found that I had to sacrifice a science ship for every hop.

The nanobots also instantly destroy any starbase you try to build, so slowly trying to take the sector doesn't seem to work. They also don't count as a faction with which you are at war, so your allies / vassals can't even help! I guess I shouldn't have played a "tall" empire focused on vassals / allies, but not being able to use them was crippling.

There were 4 L-gates in my galaxy: 2 in my empire and 2 in an AI empire. I got shared vision with the AI empire before opening the gates (to make sure the nanobots didn't go anywhere I cared about) but the nanobots just seemed to spawn at the gates in the AI empire and not move. The one in my empire would spawn a fleet that made a beeline for my capital.

I'm pretty sure I'm turbofucked in my current game; I opened the L-cluster last night and there's at least 3 fleets of 27K nanobot swarms roaming the galaxy gobbling up empires, and one on a direct course for mine. Before I got into a defensive pact war with a couple of neighbors, I had a 5K fleet total, which is down to about 3K and rebuilding right now. That war hasn't even ended yet, because apparently my ally doesn't know how to offer a peace deal, but in about 2 months, the nanobots are going to be into my space. The guys we're fighting are also getting swallowed by the 'bots, so there's that.

I'm not even complaining, it's kinda fun watching the claimed systems disappear from the map, like V'ger's on its way to Earth or something. But I honestly can't see how you're meant to deal with it as early in the game as I am. I assume this is one of several things you can find in the L-Cluster?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

What year is it? Sounds like you either got "lucky" and got way too many insights early on or you have a really understrength fleet because 5k is way low for midgame.

I'd say pretty early game, though I'm bad at judging this. I'm not at home right now, but I'm somewhere toward the end of, say, the first 70 years. My fleet wasn't at full cap when my ally called me into the war, but every other species I'd encountered was showing up as inferior on all counts to me even without capping out, so I must be reasonably ahead of the curve. I'm holding a fair chunk of the northern side of the galaxy, certainly moreso than anyone else I can see. Weirdly haven't seen any marauders or FEs so far, they must be lurking in the southern end of the galaxy.

Given how long this war's dragged on, by the time I get my fleet up to strength, it's going to be more in the 12-15K range, though that doesn't sound like it'd help much.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

Oh yeah that's super earlier than I thought, my first and so far only Distant Stars game I'm just now opening the L gate at 2370 so I thought it was a more late game thing. I don't know how that compares to most people's experience though, it sounds like normally it's supposed to land around midgame. I guess I got unlucky on insights this time around.

I already had 6/7 insights, so I figured I was trucking along as I should, and picked up the last one through research, which cost something like 12000 points - compared to the regular stuff I was researching being no higher than 8000 - so I didn't expect to get mauled so much.

I'm not even mad, just more bemused. I suspect I just got 'lucky' with the anomalies leading to the insights early, and I think there's more than one type of thing that can be behind the gates, so I just drew the 'rocks fall, everyone dies' card.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

The Paradox thread for people who are very concerned about the removal of tiles has hit 1000 posts.

I see by page... 2, that they're more discussing each other's failings and grammatical mistakes than the actual game or tiles.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Two quick questions, as I think this is the furthest I've been in a game:

When does a crisis fire, if I'm pretty much on default settings, medium galaxy? I'm up to around 2440 and not a peep so far.

Also, I'm a subject of an awakened empire, who I think I'm at the point where I can take them on. Are they going to pull a fleet out of their rear end or anything if I declare war, like in other pdx games, or is what I'm seeing on sensors pretty much what they have?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

They're just laying out the groundwork for the next 20 pages of arguing about population mechanics.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So, thread devs, minor suggestion: If excavation works kinda like siege rolls in EUIV, with a percent chance to complete every cycle, can we stick that percent in the planner? Preferably right next to the ship that's excavating? It'd just be nice to see how they're progressing at a glance when you've several going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Bramble posted:

How do I put a line break in the "biography" text field of species creation?

If I remember right, you can't, but you write the bio in a text editor with breaks and then copy/paste the whole thing in.