Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I like 2.0 a lot so far, the early game feels a lot slower/more deliberate and I've faced a lot more decision making for tech/civics than before when I pretty much could do the same thing. The new mastery of nature is really useful for the game I'm in right now where I only had five small planets (size 11-13) nearby and I'm getting 2-3 more spaces from each of them (though the influence cost is really high for how strapped I am for it).

Also managed to complete the precursor chain without the random anomalies showing up in discovered space for the first time ever I think? So that's a welcome change...as is the ruined Cybrex ringworld system in the core of my empire :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
War exhaustion and invading planets is beyond hosed this patch. I attacked one of my pathetic neighbours to change their ethics and almost instantly got them to 100% war exhaustion...which doesn't seem to mean anything as they still don't accept my demands. So I play grab-rear end with his fleets for a few years, conquer a couple planets (because it takes literally forever to siege now) and nearly all of his starbases until my war exhaustion reaches 100% (why? I never lost a battle and was running a surplus in energy/minerals) and they auto white peace.

Also, the fleet manager is completely broken. If I set up a fleet with say 5 cruisers, 15 destroyers, 15 corvettes and hit the reinforce button I instantly get like 30 corvettes queued up at my shipyards. Also, reinforce will nearly always build more ships than i have fleet capacity for. Why??

Also the border gore for some of the ai empires in my current game are beyond hilarious.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

...that's a lot of ethics my dude

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I love the new starbase system a lot. I was getting absolutely shitstomped by a pirate collective next door to me which destroyed my only other colony (life seeded civ) and was raiding me constantly. During a gap in their raids, I set up a star fortress around a pulsar choke system and jammed as many specialized laser/armor gun installations around it as I could afford. The next time they came to raid me, they jumped into my choke, instantly lost all their shields and were cut to ribbons by my star base. They tried a couple more times in the next few decades but eventually gave up lol

I really wish there was more buildings, I kinda run out of decent stuff to put on them, especially on my trading posts. Hydroponics, resource caches, even the one that speeds up hyperspace and impulse movement in system are really boring. The latter especially would feel a lot better to build if it affected hyperlanes for like 3 hops from the system so I can actually move my ships around my territory in a timely matter midgame.

Also more black hole observatory analogues for other phenomenon like pulsars/tomb worlds/gaia planets/w/e please

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I turned off Marauders after they spawned like 5 jumps from my homeworld the second game in a row.

Unfun, random bullshit

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Is there a way to get rid of starbases, after a war I'm one over my limit and want to get rid of a backwater base somewhere.

Also I think my precursor event is bugged. I know where the last system is but when I go there nothing happens? There isn't any option for science ships to research anything either.

Click on the starbase then click the downgrade button

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm enjoying the beta version a lot more, been playing a bunch the last few weeks. Spiritualist ethos feels really busted, I've done slaves and currently doing egalitarian and both are pretty absurd because of how strong temples are and how easy it is to please the huge spiritualist faction you inevitably get. Finished all of the unity trees decades before even unlocking the unity edicts not even playing tall lol. Conversely, Militarist is really hard to deal with because the militarist factions are super fickle and depend on very specific circumstances (i.e. having rear end in a top hat neighbors that can actually keep up with you so you can keep them as rivals)

Things are moving in the right direction, but Stellaris still needs:

1) Better, bigger energy dumps in the mid/late game. Playing smart means you run a small energy surplus that never goes away and it's really hard to put that to use until you get replicators suuuuuper late. 3 cheap edicts and the tiny upkeep from enclaves is pretty much nothing. In my current game I bought so many art pieces they stopped selling them to me lol
2) A building that converts food into energy (if number 1 is fixed). The A.I. loving loves building farms, let us put that to use!
3) Claims mapmode. Holy poo poo please.
4) Make ascension perks like the megastructures and colossus more than just a luxury that you do when you are loving around and not ending the game despite being way far ahead. Building ringworlds and habitats should be a midgame alternative to terraforming or cyborg/psy/genetic ascension with their own pros and cons. Buff the generic perks to be more like world shaper and mastery of nature: very powerful unique perks good for very specific circumstances but not something you want every game.
5) Honestly, the domination and diplomacy trees kinda suck. They are hyper focused and often the perks aren't terribly useful. Diplomacy especially, I've had many games where I would have loved to be a federation builder but literally the whole galaxy is hegemonic imperialists or slavers lol. Vassals and Federations should probably be made into ascension perks with little bonuses and the trees be replaced with something else entirely.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 11, 2018

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I've never ever ever had pirates be an existential threat to my empire. Sure they might kill several mining stations (which is actually fine if you are a democracy) but they've been little more than a nuisance and totally outmatched by my fleets. Marauders? Yeah they can gently caress you over hard, but pirates are just a tiny annoyance for me (though I only play on hard difficulty - I have no idea if it may be worse at higher difficulties).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Wassbix posted:

Another change I would love is Marauders having closed boarders so your fleet manager doesn't decide to funnel all your ship through them and get killed.

Also, maybe a token reward for killing them? I wiped them out before any of them generated a Khan and there is just nothing? and their systems aren't anything special or even have a planet! Atleast the fallen empire is nice enough to give you a swag rear end planet and T5 techs when you roll over their 100k fleet.

When you come across Marauders or Leviathans make sure you open up their system and click the button on the left to put the system off-limits for ship travel. I've noticed that since 2.0, fleets and reinforcements really like to suicide into deadly systems and that prevents it from happening.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Life-seeded buff is nice, Shattered Ring needs some love still…

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Armies don't even bother me much anymore, except when I am Xenophile and I have to scroll through 50 options to find the type I want to build!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

I got the Dragon as I finished my fourth perk, Psionic Ascension, and everyone that was equivalent or superior to me in fleet strength shot straight down to pathetic. I lost all of my rivals lol

Took her out for a spin and she smoked a Corrupted Avatar by herself. Also has jump drives by default. Seems pretty good!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Feeling the influence crunch a lot, even doing a small empire it really hard to have surplus influence to build roads before gateways are available. Also doesn't help that you get the orbital ring tech around the same time and they require a lot of upfront ip to build and expand. Feel like they could halve the alloy and ip cost and they still would be tough to fit relays in.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Anyone else finding the Subterranean origin to be...really, really lovely? At least for non-lithoids? The idea is that you can use your habitability floor to colonize anything you come across, but even with 50% habitability you're looking at pops that grow 45% slower (counting the penalty from the racial trait), need 50% more upkeep, produce 25% less resources and drive up your unity and tech costs with increased sprawl. Then the increased build cost, while not a huge deal later, slows your already glacial early game even further.

I really like the playstyle it encourages but it feels like a trap that slowly guts your economy no matter what you do.

Nah, it felt really bad to me too. You throw any kind of habitability bonuses out of the window as well, so it never really gets better.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
My vassal keeps colonizing holy worlds and I keep getting spammed by the fallen empire to stop. Why is the AI even allowed to attempt to colonize holy worlds when they are just going to get slapped down 100% of the time lol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Ummm.... why the gently caress can I not put proton torpedos on my battleships anymore?

Are you meaning to tell me that we can ONLY put them on torpedo boats?

I might be done with this game if they did that.

All torpedos, energy and explosive, go in the 'G' slots. Biggest ship that can use torpedos are Cruisers (and they are very good at this). They want people to use mixed fleets instead of stacking Battleships.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
As someone who pretty much always plays multi-racial and non-authoritarian builds, I can't wait for Broken Shackles. Curious if your seeded races are pure random or if you are guaranteed variety in cold/hot/temperate species.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

(Side note: is there a way to influence your vassals to adopt your ethics? I don't see any espionage actions or vassal agreements or holdings that'd do it.)

Only one I know is that if you have the shared burdens ethic, you can use a holding that increases egalitarian ethics attraction by a lot

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
We are finally getting capital specializations! But no Research capital option :(

Gonna have to adapt I guess

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
You should be able to flip isolated systems completely cut off from their owners, at least through espionage, it's so silly. I pretty much have to close borders with AI if I don't have enough influence to claim everything three jumps from their borders because they will always cheat claim those systems and annoy me.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
You should try being nice to your pops, high happiness/stability give you nice bonuses :shobon:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
This patch looks amazing, the only thing we are missing would be an origin for an organic society ruled by an artificial intelligence. It’s such a staple in sci-fi I wonder why it was overlooked.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libluini posted:

My first thought was "isn't this just Rogue Servitors?" but if you want to literally have only your ruler be the robot, at least that's something that was doable for a long time, just not from the start: All Democratic and Oligarchic societies can elect/appoint robotic leaders, if you get them from events or, if you're materialistic, from your own robots eventually.

But yeah, if you want to start like this, you need the new machines + organic underlings combo from the new DLC.

Edit:

Ironically, since "Rogue Servitors" are a hivemind, I think they're still closest to what you want. :v:

It probably would be too similar to rogue servitors, just with a hell of a lot less mandatory pampering and more dystopian autocracy

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
This patch is one of the most exiting they’ve ever done, I feel like guided sapience was made just for me. If I can’t make friends with the galaxy, I will literally make friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Having fun with my genesis guides game. Starts off kinda weak but once you can research Uplift you start rolling in influence and unity. I’m steamrolling through traditions like 50-60 years in.