Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Needs Van Badham to make it really poo poo.

She probably has her own events planned. It's worth reading the linked page, it's the biggest load of right-wing crybaby BS:

quote:

We are not doing our leftist friends any favours by letting their opinions go unchallenged on social media, writes Fred Pawle.

The response was Pavlovian. When we announced on Twitter on Wednesday that we would be holding events in which several prominent right-of-centre Twitter practitioners would share their techniques for winning arguments on Twitter, leftist Twitter trolls immediately responded with an eruption of indignant, abusive tweets.

If that sounds like an echo chamber, it is. But as US President Donald Trump has demonstrated, Twitter can be enormously useful if you disregard the angry, anonymous mobs roaming its digital terrain.

This is easier said than done, as we were reminded on Wednesday.

“Seriously, who are these people?” one commenter asked, referring to the high-profile panels we had assembled, as a handful of other critics shared their unsolicited, embittered opinions about us.

BOOK NOW: How to Win Twitter, Sydney and Melbourne

One of the panelists, Sky News presenter and News Corp columnist Caroline Marcus, helpfully replied: “It literally says who we are on the post you are commenting on.”

The haste with which many Twitter commenters resort to abuse, and the fleeting gratification they get from gratuitous humiliation, blinds them to the merits of opposing opinions, let alone the inadequacies of their own arguments.

“Twitter is militantly patrolled by self-appointed moral guardians who, without a shred of irony, try to bully anyone with a different world view into silence,” Marcus says. “Navigating the swamp with your sanity intact is a feat in itself.”

Didn’t Trump say something about swamps once?

Some might call it ambitious, but our sincere hope is that our events in Sydney and Melbourne (with other cities possibly to follow) will encourage more people with centrist or conservative views to wade into Twitter and, as civilly as possible, join our panelists in arguing the case for such things as coal-fired power, selective migration, a more representative ABC, smaller government, lower taxes and a return to the personal responsibility that was once a hallmark of our culture (this last idea is unlikely to catch on among those who hide behind anonymous social-media avatars, but whatever).

Chris Kenny, a columnist for The Australian and presenter on 2GB radio, is not understating the challenge.

“Twitter is full of green-left lies and myths,” he says. “We need more right-of-centre people to get in there, chuck truth bombs - and duck.”

Our panels will discuss ways to attract a decent following, how to respond to bullying, the importance of sticking to the facts, and whether the rampant overuse of “hypocrite” has stripped the word of all its meaning.

Joining the fray on social media is crucial for another reason: the social media companies themselves are also trying to suppress conservative views. Facebook, Twitter and Youtube have all been exposed recently of blocking conservative commentators and news outlets while giving free rein to leftist or anti-western commentators.

A panel discussion on this topic was held at the Conservative Political Action Conference in the US last week, chaired by Pamela Geller.

“This issue — the suppression of the freedom of speech on social media — affects all of us on the right,” she said. “In fact, it is the most critical issue of the day: if we are stripped of the means to communicate with one another, it’s all over.”

Actually, it will be all over even before then if we don’t jump on social media in the first place.

Maybe they're cracking down because your dogwhistles are encouraging your bestial fans to issue threats of harm you crybabies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Brutal but accurate.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this is weird:

https://twitter.com/abchobart/status/970463791287881728

and the linked article begins:

quote:

Saturday's Tasmanian election is a historic victory for Premier Will Hodgman.

In a traditional Labor state, Mr Hodgman becomes only the second Liberal Premier to win back-to-back majority governments.

The Liberal Party almost matched its 2014 result, polling above 50 per cent for the second election in a row.

Mr Hodgman's personal percentage vote in Franklin is also the third highest in modern times, and in vote terms will pass Doug Lowe's 1979 record.

While Labor has recovered from its 2014 drubbing, Labor's vote share of just under 33 per cent is its third worst result since the Second World War.

Green support at ten per cent is below its previous low, recorded in 1998, and the party may yet be reduced to the single Denison seat it won in 1998.

Note the careful "almost" modifier in the second sentence. We then get on to details of the lower vote for ALP and Greens. Then, further down, we have:

quote:

As expected, the Liberal Party has been unable to repeat its unprecedented 2014 result when the party filled four of the five seats in Braddon.

Jeremy Rockliff and Adam Brooks have been easily re-elected, with Rockliff's preferences to determine who wins the third Liberal seat. Roger Jaensch is better placed than Joan Rylah to win re-election.

Labor gains a seat, with Shane Broad to be re-elected, and former Burnie Mayor Anita Dow joining him in the House of Assembly.

So the gist of the story is, the ALP and Greens vote is down but the government was reelected with one less seat for certain. Either a brilliant strategy to get at the truth whilst conforming to clickbait righty mantras or habits die hard.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

no that seems pretty on brand for Daisey

bet she does it because it 'triggers lefties'

I was about to say, there's nothing ironic about Daisy's support. I found this more troubling:

https://twitter.com/cutequeer96/status/826707921643806720

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aussie Farmers were uncompetitive, Retail Food Group had their shares drop heavily, and Doughnut Time is being sold off.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The sad thing about Aussie farmers is that it'll hit actual farmers who probably won't get a nice reception from the supermarkets they spurned. They also sourced locally for much of their produce which means the pain is spread pretty far. I used them for a while but their deliveries were just too unreliable.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I'm not saying I'm using them I just note a trend

When people stop splashing out for food, there is definitely a trend, guess which one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Anecdotal proof: just stocked up on cruskits and cheese, also uncle Toby's instant oats and (aluminium) nespresso pods because I can't afford to buy breakfast or coffee anymore.

My JSA has two tables of free food, dunno where they source it but there's apples and pears and canned goods etc.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Take my word for it Synthbuttrange you dont want to do wifi bb its hideously expensive and has terrible latency. I know nbn has been painful but you soon won't have any choice because they're going to start cutting off landline and ADSL from August this year. And then the real fun for Talcum Burn the NBN Down will begin.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Congratulations to the Tasmanian public on their skill in picking this idiot again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Minister for Women Kelly O'Dwyer has warned the "me too" movement could "silence the very women it wants to help".
In her first significant speech since taking on the portfolio, Ms O'Dwyer said the global movement - which began with sexual assault allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein and generated investigations into several high-profile Australians - had sent a message on the need to end harassment.
"But as the 'me too' movement continues to sweep the world, we need to think about the implications - both good and bad - that come with the airing of allegations in a public forum," she said in a speech ahead of International Women's Day on Thursday.

Worthless opinions, desperately run up the public flagpole in a faltering search for relevance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There have been stories of midnight bulldozing ("to beat those city bastards") of the Wimmera for years, they're a bit insane about it out there.

Are they still trying to grow pines out on the Bourke road? Hectares of dead trees from drought and ringbarking by cattle.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Adani is being seen as a test of the Opposition Leader's commitment to policy integrity versus his willingness to say and do whatever is politically expedient, writes Michelle Grattan.

Stay tuned for more incisive brainfarts from the CPG.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

You know what else comes in books?

You, you dirty little sinner.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rather interesting article from the graun about the SA election from the bottom-level perspective. It seems clear that voters want a change but the options are bloody limited and the candidates confuse the hell out of them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Can someone with Crikey sub quote this intriguing little story about the Oz attacking Tingle before she's even started her new job?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ah the lazy option, well done. It seems the Oz was trying to drum up controversy over a side job for ASEAN by making it sound like work for the Department. Tingle's response was:

https://twitter.com/latingle/status/971158125259644928

which led to the usual twitter brouhaha.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

million dollar mack posted:

How does one get a potato removed from parliament anyway

Depends, if I'm having sausages, just mash it, or chips with a parma. And salad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quick aside from election chat: The Press Council handed down its decision yesterday on a Sharri Markson hitpiece on the Bob Brown Foundation. Crikey reported that

quote:

Two stories in The Daily Telegraph attacking former Human Rights Commission president Gillian Triggs for speaking at a Bob Brown Foundation event have breached Australian Press Council standards. In an adjudication published today, the council found that the two articles, including an opinion piece by political reporter Sharri Markson, was misleading in implying the event was a Greens party fundraiser. Further, the Tele didn't publish a correction, did not offer Bob Brown (who made the complaint) an opportunity to respond to claims it published, and was not fair and balanced.

For its part, the Tele has defended its stories in an editorial today, saying it was "a hard decision to understand, to say the least". It warned the Press Council against being "captured by sectional interests in our community": "Like the media organisations it oversees, it must be held to the highest standards, and its determinations should not be subject to ridicule ...In this case, finding that Bob Brown, a man who is synonymous with the Greens cause, is not aligned to the Greens is simply absurd."

If you read the adjudication the Press Council say, of course, nothing of the sort, so a glorious irony there of the Tele bluntly making the charge Markson was trying to impute and accuse the PC of not pandering to its own sectional interests.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

How very dare the real left compete with my fake left

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Analysis:Association of South East Asian Nations unlikely to ever invite Australia to join

Ironies abound in this piece.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pipingshrike gets to almost Andrew Elder-levels of cynicism

But in a nutshell I think he has it right, Elder will have harsher things to say of course. It's not that SA Best was...weird or that the Greens fought their internal battles as an election strategy. Those are the narratives the media and the major parties would prefer you follow.

The story of why the ALP got a swing against it of 7% vs the victorious SA Libs, is the continuing trend that must not be named. Pipingshrike is being generous by calling that "passive" reporting, but really it's a minimising strategy by the mainstream media and the majors themselves. Whatever we think of minor parties, the take-home message should be that they're attracting voters away from the majors by voters in search of a different deal, and as long as the establishment keeps denying them that deal, the more will drain away.

I get that returning the Libs in SA seems like deliberate self-sabotage by voters, but people don't cast a vote that they think will hurt them, it's the result of disenchantment with both majors and the way the preferential system works. Also blaming the electorate in this way is just shoring up the self-image of the majors who cannot imagine in any way that a minor party might attract votes from their adoring followers. The Greens infighting in Batman was immature and destructive, but 7% less voters voted ALP, and they cannot twist that into a victory particularly with a Pyrrhic 1% margin.

Whatever, I'm sure other states are about to benefit from an exodus of experienced advisers and other political apparatchiks from the Liberal pyre in SA and the ALP will continue to lose support in the cities.

edit: ALP vote was said by Pipingshrike to have gone up by 7%, i got that confused with the SA vote. The latest AEC tally shows a swing towards of only 3.2%.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 19, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Uh, the ALP primary went up and they had a swing towards them in Batman though?

Ah yeah I screwed that up. Fixed it up above. The swing wasn't big though, and the Libs didn't contest at all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If the LNP want to avoid responsibility for the coming crash they'd better get their skates on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The problem is that the Federal Libs live in a Canberra bubble where the normal laws of physics do not apply. Hence all the MSM dogwhistling to 'clear the air' presumably for some dumb new narrative that the CPG are being instructed on. It feels to me they think there's heaps of time and don't want to push something really specific until they can use the state elections as a base.

hooman posted:

I don't think they have any policies that would help avoid it though? The only skating they'd do is directly into the shitshow.

The year is wearing on fast and the US mid-terms are coming and Trump is running around throwing gasoline on foreign fires, and we are indeed collateral damage. The shitshow might be coming much sooner than we think, that's all. Not that I'm under any illusion that the ALP and Greens have a better handle, if anything they seem too complacent.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

Malcolm Turnbull is doing his best to punish leftist voters by leading us to disappointment when Shorten wins and he both doesn't implement the most left wing government of all time, and doesn't kill off all the old pensioners.

Now imagine the scenario with fixed-term governments instead of the free kick for governments of the day.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Also the whole "white South African farmers are being persecuted" thing has been an NRA talking point, which is an interesting intersection. The aping of right-wing agendas has evolved towards providing them with ammunition (pun). I wonder what kind of payout the Liberal party are getting for putting that on the agenda.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Like I said a few pages ago, the South African farmers are a US right-wing talking point and it seems to be working brilliantly as a distraction if this thread outrage is any guide.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

In the gay bar gay bar gay bar

He's got something to put in you

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Awesome, they came through with the stubby holder. Ca-ching!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Well we may say can be good, but the recent episodes Seer is really starting to irritate me

The Peccadillo posted:

Gimme a rundown? Or should I just listen to some

The problem is that Gaukroger was an effective foil to disrupt Sear's stumbling tangents, and there hasn't been an effective replacement. He's having trouble finding guests beyond a relatively small circle, and, although it's not entirely his fault given our political class, he's locked into a repetitive oscillation between the ongoing death camp bulletins and the right-wing ratchet. Unless you listen for some details you don't always hear about the current issues, it's getting to be a bit of a slog particularly with the length of episodes going for a hour or more.

By contrast, BVCC and the Buzzfeed podcasts are far less angry (or perhaps just more cynical) and easier to listen to. It's not fair perhaps but that's how it is.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wow. That's some real weapons-grade denial/mental gymnastics.

Boomers ruin everything.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Does anyone else find it super depressing that everyone is issued with talking points in order to be on message.

Taking a step back from that being expected and the norm, it's totally loving bonkers right?

Senor Tron posted:

It is, but the instant someone gives an answer to a question which clashes with party policy it can get a lot of media attention.

The reason it gets media attention is because the media is so much a part of the political class it doesn't even care about the message, just how it was messaged, ie the narrative. When your main concern is "what does this do for the narrative", little else matters.

But this is partly why the electorate is looking for new messages, and if they have to find new messengers for it, they will. The narrative isn't failing just because it's not believable, no one believes the narrators themselves, neither politician nor journalist, believe it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Zuckerberg hate platform

"Do you like dead heroes? Then join our illogical hate fest! We hate victims, they spend our money!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Respondents to the online poll have to provide a name and an email address, though there is no requirement for these to be genuine. It is also possible to fill out the survey multiple times.

Yeah that's not going to gently caress up is it. Nevertheless, voted no.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Somehow the Hun will make it Dandrews fault and how Matthew Guy is a political wizard.

From the people who gave you Dan Andrews ball-tampering accusations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No one sees the irony of a company going on strike against its workers and being backed by the government? Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A cheese-powered State, clean delicious energy.

• Locked thread