Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Yeah, more and more people are spending increasing amounts of time in this immersive simulation to the detriment of their real lives but it's been *medically proven* to not be addictive, guys.

give him the credit for the one piece of subtlety he's had so far, he's very much implying it's addictive there, just not through chemical means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Unfortunately, the review I read said all the challenges have been completely replaced from the book, so no lich-jousting.

well if they remove like 98% of the book the movie might be okayish

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

crossposting

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/974331646592856064

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Even keeping the rest of the story exactly the same, a better writer could have extended the action sequences like the Tomb of Horrors to actually show Wade cautiously making his way past all the traps and narrowly avoiding being killed. Or even have him get killed by the bullshit traps (maybe more than once) to follow up on his plan to just keep trying as a Level 1 avatar until he brute forced his way through it.

tomb of horrors is uniquely suited to that as far as D&D modules go, because high numbers basically don't help you

rogue was a 1980s game so making it randomize each time would be an era-appropriate detail as well

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tendales posted:

Even back then, people went through character after character. Melf was named because the guy was sick of coming up with new names and just decided 'Male elf -> Melf' was good enough to get back in the game. The idea that D&D players just had one character that they ran forever is a Chick Tract level of understanding of the game as she is played.

it varied wildly depending on who was playing in whose game

scuttlebutt is that one of gygax's players ended up spending his whole adventuring career sitting on a Broom of Flying, observing poo poo remotely with a crystal ball and having his hirelings do all the heavy lifting

and the cleric class only exists because somebody said "I want to play a vampire", and the person next to him said, "fine, but I want to play a vampire HUNTER"

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 20, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

William Gibson also has this thing here he can pinpoint the exact perfect ancillary detail the audience needs to sketch in a character and only ever give you that

That was one thing Dickens was very good at, too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

From the trailers it looks like the movie may be a very, very loose adaptation that is focused on the adventure escapism aspect of the story rather than on faux nostalgia, so God knows what it's actually like. It may end up being a perfectly unremarkable, adequate action flick, which in this case is surpassing expectations for sure.

https://twitter.com/limbclinic/status/970835851138740231

This tweet is a very loose adaptation that also surpasses expectations for RPO

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Ugh.

Wade just meandering into and "mastering" all of this bullshit is just so irritating. Life isn't a loving MMORPG, you don't get "Level 100 playing Pong" and then keep your mastery forever. People develop skills and get lovely at other things at the same time!

This perfect ubernerd fantasy is just getting more and more ludicrous as things go on.
And thank god that Wade just HAPPENED to stumble upon the McGuffin that will inevitably turn the tables in his favor in the next chapter, or maybe even the finale. Just pure, dumb luck. Ugh.

the stupid part is that pacman is a purely deterministic game so you could totally just TAS it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chekovs nuke is gon.a solve this problem with no protagonist involvement I bet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Cline's an X-er. If you want to drown in Boomer nostalgia, you gotta go Gump.

I was part of the Gumpers, a group of people devoted to finding where the Boomers had hidden their wealth.

"You're missing the Forrest for the trees," Aitch said to me.
"Run, Forrest, Run", I replied, which was a reference to the movie Forrest Gump, where he ran and saved a bunch of people. The clues to the Boomers Wealth had been hidden in the movie, and all the Gumpers had watched it many times.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nerdz posted:

The book would be 10 times cooler if instead of The Hunt being the single most important thing in the entire world for everyone, it was sort of a very niche urban legend that a small obsessed community still believed in and tried to crack, kinda like speedrunners trying to find new glitches and exploits to reduce their times.

like, this video feels way more interesting than the book, with more tension, and it's all about real world stuff with real people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sllAIF99h3s

or the attempts to get past that forcefield in wind waker

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a rewrite where he's actually a big music fan and is sequence breaking

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Hell, he barely even mentions Nintendo games, which is half or more of all 80's video game nostalgia. Just imagine Wade patiently over-explaining that when Halliday says Final Fantasy 2 ("Fainaru Fantajī II") he actually means the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 2 ("Fainaru Fantajī II"), and not the American version of Final Fantasy 2 ("Fainaru Fantajī Fō").

You can actually zero in on Cline's personal interests pretty quickly, from the book, as 80's computer console and Atari games, japanese tv shows, and prog-rock. It's the only area of the books where he actually reaches for any kind of deep cuts, as opposed to the shallow knowledge he shows all the other times.

his game references are mostly really shallow cuts too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spitballing for a better written IOI

I like the idea of them sponsoring a Very Corporate clan, and going full BK Kids Club tokens

there's the white guy, who is the leader and knows about 80s TV
there's the black guy, who is a jock and knows about 80s sports
There's the wheelchair-handicapped hindu indian lesbian, who is token enough she doesn't need a one word personality, and knows about 80s comic books
There's the chinese girl, who is peppy, and knows about computer games. She is in a corporate mandated love triangle
And there's the white kid, who is younger than the rest, likes music, and knows about 80s music

They are basically like the Very Corporate minecraft streamers - they all have marketable looks, pets, bases, catchphrases.

Assisting them are The Fuzz, because a book like this needs to have faceless enemies. They're the corporate employees who actually do ingame research, find things, and make sure streams go according to scripts. They're called The Fuzz because the all have level 1 invisibilty items, which means they don't show up on livestream (but basically anyone with any XP can see them, they just look a little fuzzy)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If I had to keep the final battle when rewriting this, I'd probably have IOI do the equivalent of desperately yanking wires to cheat as the tide turns against them. They use their ownership of so many ISPs to just start disconnecting whole cities from the OASIS, forcing gunters to log out. They can't get the international gunters or ones who are using non-IOI service providers and they end up taking out some of their own troops who aren't physically based out of Columbus, but it evens the playing field by reducing the number of avatars fighting. All of the giant robots are conveniently in Columbus, so you can still get your big robot fight.

In the epilogue to the book, you can also mention all the real world side effects that IOI's plug pulling had. People suddenly got disconnected from OASIS-based services like schools, suicide hotlines, poison control, etc. that may have been in the middle of helping them in emergencies.

Russian aluminum magnate ends the final battle by backhoeing the main trunk line

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

And the Evas are wildly differently sized throughout the show, ranging from 40m to 200m based on height of background stuff. The movies settled on 75m, which would make them taller than anything else, too.

Their size is 'whatever will make for an interesting shot'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Nope. Even Halliday's "go outside" message at the end of the book is pointless because if Wade had actually spent his life in reality, he'd have failed to find anything and IOI would have won.

but if IOI won, then OASIS would have been destroyed, and any time not spent going outside would have been wasted

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just make the only celebrity cameo be Weird Al Yankovic, it's not like he'd sue even if he wanted to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Section 9 posted:

For the Tomb of Horrors segment, make it so that there was no walk-through FAQ for it. It wasn't on Planet Gygax so it had sort of fallen into obscurity. Instead of just playing Joust at the end, the challenge is that Wade has to get through the dungeon on his own. The one thing he has on his side is that he is low level, so if he dies he can just come back and try again, and nobody else knows about it so he can take as much time as he needs. So he figures it out by trial and error over time. I'd have to re-read the module, but I think it was mostly insta-death traps and a level one character could get through if they knew every correct thing to do.
I think this would make it more intersting, especially to people who have no idea what Tomb of Horrors is or what challenges there are. Cline barely even addresses the actual content of the dungeon and just sort of assumes everyone reading knows what's up.
I'm not a writer, but I'd be willing to go through the module and try to throw together a rough outline of what actions he would take to get through it for someone else to punch up.

That's the obvious take, yeah.

Honestly, maybe just run the module with someone who hasn't played or read it, with instant respawns, and see how they actually play it. ~authenticity~

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It doesn't seem to cost anything to run the race (except what you expend for fuel, repairs, etc.) and you can leave whenever even if you don't finish, so you'd think after the first thousand people you'd see everyone trying whatever the hell they want that doesn't get them killed.

total destruction of your cybercar might be risk enough

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's the 2030 reboot mega mecha Godzilla

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like any mmo oasis had several million different currencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Imagine how horribly vicious the Goon Wars on Eve would be if they could pay their rent instead of just denying people their spacebucks. If PVP pays in real money, then the Oasis should be a blood-soaked wasteland.

oasis currency can be only be freely exchanged for subway giftcards

• Locked thread