Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Does anyone know why my drones are refusing to repair my wind turbines? I've already had and completed the event where you have to research the redesign breakthrough. I have a machine parts stockpile with plenty of stock right next to several turbines that need repairs, along with a drone hub and several idle drones, but they won't repair the turbines. I've even tried manually telling them to repair but that's not working either. No active disaster events.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nope just in need of maintenance

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also my dome, pipes and cables keep spontaneously springing leaks. It's like there's a meteor shower but there's not. Is there some bug with invisible disasters? This is like my fourth game and the first time I've run into this

e: Yeah my rocket can't land due to a dust storm apparently, but I have no dust storm timer. I did have one recently but I saw the timer hit 0 and disappear. Maybe it just bugged out and never stopped? Do dust storms also cause leaks and fractures at random or do I also have invisible neverending meteors? I haven't had any buildings taken out by direct hits so I guess probably not

Anyway I guess this run is over, I can't keep up with the leaks appearing at random all over my life support network and my polymer production can't keep up with constant dome repairs, I have no money to send supply pods with more, and I can't land my rocket to pick up rare metals for more funding.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 23, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Just got my first Martianborn in a new run. Their name? Ace Uranus.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Couldn't you just not do it? Like, it's just more content. Nobody is making you build the wonders that are the current endgame.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

dogstile posted:

Imagine what we'll know in another 4000!

How to swim I imagine

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You pretty much answered your own question. I keep a food stockpile for each dome right next to it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is the mystery where you find a buried sphere bugged? I had it pop like 200 sols ago, now I've built every wonder and I'm almost done terraforming and nothing else has come of it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Speedball posted:

You have to start the mystery's chain of events by powering up the sphere. Then things snowball from there.

Is that supposed to be an expedition? Because I’ve done all of them, haven’t had anything else sphere-related

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Morholt posted:

No, click the sphere. There are three interactions you can pick from.

Oh what, it's on the colony map? lmao I thought I triggered it with an expedition and I'd get a chance to fly back to it later or something. I played all that time and never saw it lying around anywhere. Time to fire the game up and find it I guess. Thanks

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

I would prefer some more grit and a less jovial theme/tone but it’s jot a deal breaker.

Have you tried Frostpunk? They really nail the desperate battle for survival thing, just playing it makes me feel cold as gently caress

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Okay I've searched all over the map twice and I don't see any sphere. Also I've been playing on it for hours and been all over the place landscaping and picking up metal deposits and never saw one. Maybe I landscaped where it was supposed to spawn before it actually spawned and that broke it or something?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

The Spheres mystery has the issue that it's totally passive on its own for the first couple steps. I selected it for one playthrough and had the same issue - I thought it was bugged and never fired. I got to the building multiple wonders stage and just shelved it for another playthrough.

Turns out you have to find an odd looking rock formation, it looks kinda like a lumpy cone with 3 prongs slightly protruding from the top. Click it manually, and either it pops up a window in the top right like a building that has an icon you click on, or it will make an anomaly pop up right next to it. Something like that. Either way, after doing that, send over your rover to investigate. It will then start a timer, and at the end of the timer you have to do this one more time - after that it will take care of itself.

This was really helpful and I found it, thank you

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If power consumption is the issue with apartments, then that just makes them a late-game thing right? If you get the unmanned fusion plants breakthrough or build the sun wonder, power is no longer an issue. I've spammed them everywhere in my lategame colony and it's nbd

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Needing some more help with the sphere mystery. I've trapped the three spheres and the wiki tells me I need to research the mystery tech Xeno-Terraforming so I can dismantle them. I don't see that tech anywhere on my research screen though. It might be because the screen is already full with 140/140 techs researched? Am I just boned or is it somewhere else?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Honky Dong Country posted:

Mystery-specific techs are all breakthroughs, in my experience. Check that column.

I did, it's already full. The last two spaces are the first two techs from the mystery.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 21, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Why is that dumb? Put a drone hub and a machine parts stockpile up there, spam a few wind turbines, and you should be good for power until lategame. Even if you don't have shuttles yet you only need to truck more machine parts up there every now and again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Did the quest update and tell you to get that last tech? Because that's when it unlocks, when the spheres start their last phase. If that happened and you still don't have it then yeah you are probably in bug land.

I thought the blurb told me to research something, but it turns out I'm a dumb rear end and just had to wait for the timer. I thought it was a fail state clock rather than something I had to wait for. So I've done all the milestones, 100% terraformed the planet, and finally finished the mystery, just in time for sol 500:

Wish I'd found the sphere sooner (it right on the edge of the map, on a plateau, real easy to miss) because those giant crops would have saved me having to :f5: +food on the elevator way too many times. Appreciate all the help from the thread nonetheless.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Diogines posted:

So does the new terraforming stuff come into normal missions or what? How is it implemented? Does it carry over between on some sort.of global modifier?

Are there new missions in the DLC?

It doesn't carry over between games if that's what you mean. Terraforming does have benefits though, most notably ending disasters and letting you plant outdoor farms:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Vasudus posted:

I don't know how burning rocks would generate an atmosphere but sure, whatever.

Never mind that, how about how sucking moisture out of the air with vaporators, pumping it into a lake, and letting it evaporate somehow leads to more water in the atmosphere overall?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just stick a clinic in each dome and it doesn't seem to be an issue? I very seldom use the heavy workload shift thing though

And gently caress the haters, I still love apartments, apart from in the early game (when housing isn't really an issue anyway). Power is the easiest resource to get effectively infinite amounts of. One triboelectric scrubber will let you run a fuckton of windmills for a total upkeep of one unit of electronics, the sun wonder plus solar panels gives you loads, fusion generators do too. They may need a lot of manpower if you don't get the eternal fusion breakthrough but guess what apartments give you room for

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 29, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Morholt posted:

Use two overlapping scrubbers instead. Zero upkeep!

:hmmyes:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sulphagnist posted:

I am playing a new game with Chaos Theory on and I would murder for the scrubber tech, I got too lazy just slapping them everywhere in my previous game.

Of course CT is still super fun.

Actually my last run was chaos theory with no scrubber tech for quite a while too, but I got that one event where you pick from like 4 rewards and i windmill slammed the 1 scrubber option

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

One thing I missed when I was new is that you start with two rockets, the second one is chilling on Earth at the start. You could send that one in if you haven't already so your earthsick colonists will jump on when it lands, faster than waiting for the rocket you have on Mars to get to Earth and back.

Your resource issue sounds like wherever your materials are supposed to go is out of range of the drone hub(s) that are in range of the materials. Make sure you have drone hub coverage over both and that they have some overlap, and put a depot down in the overlap. The drones at the stockpile should drop some to the new depot, and the drones at the construction or maintenance site should come pick them up.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 30, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dareon posted:

eventually you'd be relentlessly pounding your colony with meteors for metals and polymers.

Couldn't you just import them with the proceeds of your waste rock processing?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

There's always the excuse that by the time you can make mars green, you've already "won" the game and once you build a few terraforming buildings you're just sitting around waiting and it's actually pretty boring

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

they keep ignoring the tunnel and sprinting like idiot fuckers through the toxic atmosphere every time they want to get drunk.

it helps you get hosed up bro

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

explosivo posted:

If I have some no-specs working in a research building and there are unemployed Researchers in the dome, will they let the researchers have the job if it's not set to required? I've basically been flipping it to required to kick everyone out that's not a researcher and then turn it back off once everyone gets in to fill out the employment gaps.

If you fire a no-spec then an unemployed scientist should take their place

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Vasler posted:

In an unrelated note, the colonist AI in this game makes no sense at times. I have an engineering dome that engineers keep leaving to go work in Hawking institutes in another dome. I downloaded that Colonist AI to manage this weirdness and it helped but why!?

Were your factories or corresponding depots full or your Hawking institutes set to a higher priority?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pfft, who needs people? I'm doing a chaos theory + max disasters Brazil run where I'm terraforming Mars with a totally unmanned mission. I've got the elevator, mohole, sun, and the telescope up, 13 billion in the bank, and the terraforming is coming along nicely. No need to worry about food or domes, disasters and leaks are eh whatever, I don't even need to bother with valves or power switches.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

Space elevator kind if breaks this game doesn't it. Of I'm running low on something I don't need to reinforce that supply chain anymore, just buy it from space.

Honestly space elevator was just QoL by the time I built it, 3 and later 6 rare metal refineries once I bought a second rocket plus abusing base 1k science martian copyrights and outsourcing gave me enough cash to import everything I needed. It was Chaos Theory that broke it as much as anything, that and the refineries. No colonists to support plus effectively infinite money = a really easy game, who knew. In retrospect I kind of defeated the purpose of the game by not landing colonists. It sounded like a fun idea for a run at the time.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 10, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

None of you guys pointing out to the newbie that trading with other colonies is an expansion feature

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

ideally I’d like the game to be a lot more gritty

there's literal dust storms man how much grit do you want

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

that dilemma is bullshit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

SM's music isn't awful, but I'll never understand why people listen to videogame music. To me even the best of it gets repetitive real fast and is never as good as music by any actual band or artist that I like. Then again I wouldn't listen to the same band for hours on end as I play a videogame either so maybe I just have a short musical attention span.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Couldn't you play some Sigur Ros or some other ambient chill indie for the same effect but better though

e: Like if SM's music works for you then cool, but to me music someone made for a videogame never has the same heart as something a good band puts out for the sake of putting out music. I know they're still doing it to make a living but it still feels more real to me idk

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 19, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eventually you’ll hit techs that reveal and unlock deep deposits which have vast amounts of resources, more than enough to last you an entire run. Theoretically if you played long enough you’d still run out but that would be a long rear end game

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

luxury handset posted:

yeah definitely. while my first dome complex is getting planned out i'll set up a landing pad and a vaporator/fuel combo next to it. two or three of those is enough for early game fuel needs, and then a groundwater refinery if you just want to have trouble storing all the fuel you produce

i'm a huge nerd so i like building dedicated spaceport complexes

do you actually need 6 rocket pads or is it just for symmetry?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You won’t do much Terraforming until you’re up and running; you need to focus on getting self-sufficient before you can divert the resources. Wouldn’t hurt to jump in and play around before you get the Dlc just to get a feel for the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Disasters are super rare and tame if you choose a landing site with the minimum level of each. Having them on also makes Terraforming more satisfying since it eventually gets rid of them