Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Just like last season, there is an absurd number of shows that I want to watch.

Just like last season, I will successfully watch two of them.

Jokes on you, I'm gonna watch all of the shows I want to see this season.... next season! :negative:

e: Toji no Miko is actually pretty good, speaking of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There were nazis? I thought the bad guy was some geezer with sunglasses.

Surprise! That was Hitler!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

sorry, that was the fuhrer. hitler was on holiday

Um, it's kind of a Batman/Bruce Wayne situation.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/976829455279771648

... uh oh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm almost curious enough to watch Marchen Madchen now - I mean, just to see what an imploding show looks like.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

its honestly not interesting in that direction. it got pulled before it really started showing in the show in any interesting ways. like, some of the shots in the last few aired episodes were weird, but nothing outside the norm for a b-list show. maybe it'll be worse when it gets back to air, but more likely, given all the talk about compromises, that itll just be a bunch of static shots of characters sitting around talking. shows that look incredibly hosed usually start out that way, like dynamic chord or handshakers. If something starts out looking competent, there's usually enough there to work with to keep it from backsliding into obvious garbage, even if incredible amounts of cuts have to be made.

like, girls und panzer had huge production issues, but that show actually looks great and you wouldn't be able to tell if you just watched it in one go nowadays, you'd have to look up the episode list and realize that the anzio ova is basically nothing but cut content and that the final battle took like six months real-time because of episode delays.

...Ah, so it'll look like Utena in its, um, not so good moments. Nevermind, then.

Thank you for being informative!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

im trying to remember when utena didn't look good and i got nothing

Endorph posted:

Strix means reused footage and the cut-matchcut sequences of characters talking that went on for like seven minutes straight, not that the show ever went off model.

You are correct, but there are also some impressively bad shots in it here and there.

Also keep in mind that I say this with all love, I recently put all of my anime in a MAL list and gave Utena a 10.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Wizard Barristers ep.11 is still my go-to for obvious production trainwrecks. There may be worse out there, but I ain’t seen ‘em.

Warning for spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

:laffo:

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1BCZKFoKVg

also, musashi gundoh honestly isnt the worst looking show ever, but it is the funniest bad looking show ever

I need to watch all of this show, that looks like a lot of fun!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

nielsm posted:

Märchen Mädchen is in the middle of the tournament right now, it should be full of battle scenes. I don't think they'd be able to make do with static talking heads.

Wasn't there some other anime recently that got cancelled after 3 episodes, then re-aired from the beginning half a year later, when they had actually finished it?

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars

e: "The TV broadcast of Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars was halted temporarily after episode 4 was aired. The explanation for this happening was that there were issues with the quality of the series. Broadcast later resumed in September 2016 starting from episode 1."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i legit love that texture.

that owns

:same:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Space Flower posted:

yeah, i said this when it aired what, three weeks ago? but there was only one animation director credited for the last episode, and on their twitter they were like "yeah i didnt handle many cuts this episode, where is everyone else? did they all quit? i guess this is my solo directorial debut..."

and that episode had like, a few genuinely good cuts and the action flowed well. you could tell some people were still trying their best despite everything falling apart around them. this one does not have that.

:smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh, go off. No one here is celebrating terrible productions or suffering staff. Enjoying the flawed products they put out for being flawed isn't a crime, and it doesn't mean we want these studios to continue to suffer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

chumbler posted:

Good comedy doesn't punch down.

That's the whole thing about this - laughing at bad animation =/= laughing at the suffering animators.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Failed productions are absolutely no laughing matter, and I wish the absolute best to the people involved with this, but I legit think what they've made here rules and looks Cool and Different.

I still wish they could have made their intended vision though

On that note, I wish the director behind K and Handshakers actually got paired up with a decent writer - I absolutely love his insane directing style, with the colors and weird shots and so on

But instead we got Handshakers, and I don't know if we'll ever see anything from that dude or that studio ever again. :sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't think that's the director's style, the garish stuff in k and handshakers is studio-mandated to try and make their stuff stand out

Huh. I was pretty sure it wasn't just that - I think I read a kvin article about...

fake edit: I just found the article and I was wrong, it was different directors. But it does bring up Okubo's animation style, and how it makes for really interesting, strange shots...and how the studio just twisted and twisted until we got Hand Shakers.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I think that insane animation style was garish but also really interesting and I'm bummed we're not likely to see more of it. More weird shows, please.

(although while I'm on the topic, Devilman Crybaby did a good job of filling this niche where it's just so strange and cool to look at, while also actually being good)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/977568709287071746

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

What show is gonna be good in the spring of the year twenty eighteen

Juushinki Pandora, despite the extremely long odds against it*

*I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but damnit, I want it to be good!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I don't think it's going to be yaoi op

LoGH is one of the gayest shows I've ever seen, so

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

BL and GL are very simple and easy to understand so it's kinda silly to be dragging the old terms around still

I'm having war flashbacks to lemons and limes, here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Surprisingly cute for all of its cliche trappings. It's an otome game - she's been pulled into a magical world and the local hot boy demands that she marry him, she refuses and finds work with the local cute fox boy, there are at least two more boys waiting to be found and courted...

But it's done well and has some cute gags and honestly, I had a bad day today and this was the sugar puff show I needed to unwind to. I'm down for giving it a few more episodes, or until it hits a red flag.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:woop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

If you wanted to get bombarded with endless action for twelve episodes straight wouldn't you be exhausted at the end?

Nah. Occultic;Nine had a breakneck pace and it was one of the best things about that show. Sometimes you just wanna go fast!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

okay so what the gently caress is worth looking into this season, I've been extremely slow to pick up shows lately and don't know what the heck.

Gurazeni
Megalo Box
Gundam Build Divers
Saredo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wait what's wrong with Kindred Spirits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Nothing is wrong with Kindred Spirits, but one of the couples is an age gap romance between a student and a teacher.

Oooh oh boy that could be bad if mishandled.

• Locked thread