Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

The rule in my family was you don’t learn about the grass demon until you’re 13.
Completely unrelated, but I just wanna say that I appreciate the story that your avatar changes is telling. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Completely unrelated, but I just wanna say that I appreciate the story that your avatar changes is telling. :v:

It really has been a lovely journey.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

Ok Sol is the sun of course, I'm guessing Set is the moon then because it's white, what the heck is Anubis

Oh god it's probably their explanation for the phases of the moon isn't it, if earth is flat something has to be eclipsing the moon

I'm interested in the Yah Twins and also how people constantly go from Americas to Asia without running into the Summer Gate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As we know, planes are really giant air hogs running on compressed air, so you can't really trust the route that the pilot says.

Also the summer gate is covered in grass, as it's summer, so maybe the plane has a bunch of babies on the underneath so it just hovers over it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Ok Sol is the sun of course, I'm guessing Set is the moon then because it's white, what the heck is Anubis

Oh god it's probably their explanation for the phases of the moon isn't it, if earth is flat something has to be eclipsing the moon

https://adrenogate.net/wp/2021/12/23/black-sun-spheroid-theory/

I think this should help explain things.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah all pilots are in on it, that's not a mystery. Also impossible routes like Australia to South America are just fake ones the airlines list on websites with departure and arrival times fabricated to be consistent with a globe earth to throw off suspicion.

pthighs posted:

Dare I ask: If there's a wall of ice hiding everything, how do they know all the stuff that is out there beyond it? Divine revelation? Did someone supposedly get through the gate and report back?
I think it's ancient knowledge that was hidden from us when the Jews took over the world and changed all the maps right.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that even pre historic hunter gather tribes and civs probably "got" that the earth was round. they just didnt have the formalized vocab words to describe it.

or they thought that it was such a god drat obvious fact that they shouldnot waste labor and time recording it on clay or whatever paper or other medium they had.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well yeah that's because they'd fallen and lost sight of the divine by walking barefoot on grass all the time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that even pre historic hunter gather tribes and civs probably "got" that the earth was round. they just didnt have the formalized vocab words to describe it.

or they thought that it was such a god drat obvious fact that they shouldnot waste labor and time recording it on clay or whatever paper or other medium they had.

Why do you say that?

Not trying to start a flame war but I don’t think they did, open to ideas about it though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nobody in premodern times thought the Earth was flat. When renaissance people looked at medieval maps, they misunderstood what was being represented and assumed the dumb old-timey people thought the Earth was flat. Anyone who could see a mountain getting “taller” as they approach or watch a boat go over the horizon must understand that the Earth is round to function at even a basic level.

Ancient people believed the Sun moved across the sky, but there was no contradictory evidence until technological advances allowed more accurate measurements of the orbits of the planets.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just like it took some very careful observation with somewhat precise measurements to establish a heliocentric solar system and involved at least three different people (Copernicus, Galileo, and Kepler) and about 50 years in total to be fully mapped out, it's entirely reasonable to suppose that before Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the Earth by measuring shadows in Syene, some people had noticed that it sure seemed like traveling around on land or water meant that one had to be moving on the surface of a spherical object.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

I love how this starts with a fever dream of a picture, and then still someone becomes even more wild by going into a rant about [them] and also saying that the Phoenicians were fake.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Ancient Egyptians knew the Earth was round and had a pretty close approximation of its circumference. It's one of the reasons Afrocentrists think Africans discovered the Americas first in related conspiracy theory nonsense.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's one of the reasons Afrocentrists think Africans discovered the Americas first in related conspiracy theory nonsense.

Thats a new one for me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh man I found a video on there that gets straight to the true identity of Lucifer via Poltergeist III

Not sure who that is but it looks like he's invisible so be careful

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats a new one for me

That's a real old one, I'm surprised. I remember hearing about it even in the 90s. Like often with "look at the Olmec heads and how African their features are!" as the whole smoking gun.

And flat Earth is about a lot of things. FoldingIdeas' video on it remains, to my knowledge, the best single source of media on the topic.

There's a lot of reasons for it and rationales. In no order:
- Denial of reality is an important part of performative fascism.
- The Bible in a strictly literalist reading does portray a flat-Earth model.
- Look at how insane these people are. Look at 4chan. They believe Jews are loving Goa'uld from Stargate. Like I don't like pathologizing people - although we're talking about fascists, not people - ut I definitely think there's an argument to be made that RWM has legitimately not only helped enable the already mentally ill, but encourage it in people who would otherwise be of sound mind.

Fascism is an ideology that almost by definition requires you have an aberrant personality type. "Violence and misery are ends, not means" is not a proposition sane people can really grasp, let alone accept.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that RWM is basically The King in Yellow. Deranged cultists seek it out, but it also can poison the minds of otherwise sane people.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish I could find the one where they just outright admitted that they were terrified of space and therefore didn't believe in it to the point where they weren't sure about optics working like the books said. Some real Lovecraft poo poo.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
There was an old comic strip about cavemen called "B.C." and one strip had two of the cavemen on a raft headed for the edge of the earth to prove it was round. Finding it is beyond my googling but it went basically like this:

Caveman A: Well the sun is round...
Caveman B: Yeah...
Caveman A: And the moon is round...
Caveman B: ...Yeah...
(Caveman A turns the boat around)
Caveman A: You're right; three out of three is pushing it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
technically the ancients didnt know the sun , moon and other objects were round , they could have been great disks that always face the earth.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Also without telescopes and the astronomical knowledge it affords, I'm not sure you'd really leap to the conclusion that the Moon, let alone the Sun, is something akin to the Earth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PhazonLink posted:

technically the ancients didnt know the sun , moon and other objects were round , they could have been great disks that always face the earth.

It isn't that hard to show that the moon is round, and that the sun is a lot farther away than the moon is. (Anytime the moon is visible in the daytime sky, stand in the sunshine and hold up a ball in front of the moon. Notice anything about the phase of the ball and the phase of the moon?)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh yeah the moon terminator illusion

basic geometry is fun and magic

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I love how this starts with a fever dream of a picture, and then still someone becomes even more wild by going into a rant about [them] and also saying that the Phoenicians were fake.

Wait, this guy isn't being sarcastic? It read to me like a parody. Someone please tell me this was parody.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lucasar posted:

There was an old comic strip about cavemen called "B.C." and one strip had two of the cavemen on a raft headed for the edge of the earth to prove it was round. Finding it is beyond my googling but it went basically like this:

Caveman A: Well the sun is round...
Caveman B: Yeah...
Caveman A: And the moon is round...
Caveman B: ...Yeah...
(Caveman A turns the boat around)
Caveman A: You're right; three out of three is pushing it.

Unfortunately the guy who wrote and drew BC turned into a right wing chud late in life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It remains extremely amusing to me that a comic called BC slowly became a comic entirely and explicitly about Christianity. There was even a character called Anno Domini, as if to hang a lantern on the absurdity of what the author had done.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It remains extremely amusing to me that a comic called BC slowly became a comic entirely and explicitly about Christianity. There was even a character called Anno Domini, as if to hang a lantern on the absurdity of what the author had done.

Printed on Easter in 2001, for context.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

I think the phases of the moon give it away

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'm not sure how the Set/Anubis binary system is supposed to produce the gibbous phase either, even if both are spherical (or flat, whole thing is stupid).

I think one of the explanations is supposed to be that both are spheres but the not-racist sonnenrad radiates dark like the sun radiates light, so it casts dark over the nighttime part of the earth and also the part of the moon facing it.

Which is trivially disproven with a child's book of at home optical experiments, but the "do your research" people refuse to actually do any.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats a new one for me

There is a slim possibility that Mansa Muhammad sailed West from Mali and possibly reached somewhere in the Americas. There's a greater probability that Mansa Musa made that story up to impress some Egyptians and/or cover up some of his less-than-legitimate actions to become ruler of the Mali Empire.

Of course, even if the journey had happened and been successful, at most it would be a historical curiosity. Something like with the brief Norse settlements in North America. The reason Columbus's expedition was important wasn't because of "discovery", it was the opening of continual contact and exchange. If Columbus had returned to Spain and everybody said "yeah, this Western route to the Indies is too expensive/unimportant" and didn't fund any other trips for several centuries, then his trip too wouldn't have had much impact on the world.

As to whether the average ancient person thought the earth was flat or round, I think the most obvious answer is that they didn't think about it one way or another. It was mostly an specialized scientific knowledge that wasn't particularly relevant to the daily lives of people. And unlike, say, the specialized scientific knowledge irrelevant to our daily lives that we tend to think about a lot in 2023 (quantum physics, etc) we don't have a lot of evidence of cultural products (songs, stories, or other art) that made reference to it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't we have geocentric models of the solar system with a round earth from like the Roman Empire?

Maybe your average peasant farmer didn't know or care, but educated people had to know in order to understand astronomy. And I'm not so sure about farmers, wasn't the whole point of astronomy to keep track of seasons and predict floods and so on?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LanceHunter posted:

There is a slim possibility that Mansa Muhammad sailed West from Mali and possibly reached somewhere in the Americas. There's a greater probability that Mansa Musa made that story up to impress some Egyptians and/or cover up some of his less-than-legitimate actions to become ruler of the Mali Empire.

Of course, even if the journey had happened and been successful, at most it would be a historical curiosity. Something like with the brief Norse settlements in North America. The reason Columbus's expedition was important wasn't because of "discovery", it was the opening of continual contact and exchange. If Columbus had returned to Spain and everybody said "yeah, this Western route to the Indies is too expensive/unimportant" and didn't fund any other trips for several centuries, then his trip too wouldn't have had much impact on the world.

As to whether the average ancient person thought the earth was flat or round, I think the most obvious answer is that they didn't think about it one way or another. It was mostly an specialized scientific knowledge that wasn't particularly relevant to the daily lives of people. And unlike, say, the specialized scientific knowledge irrelevant to our daily lives that we tend to think about a lot in 2023 (quantum physics, etc) we don't have a lot of evidence of cultural products (songs, stories, or other art) that made reference to it.

Thats interesting

Ive read once that Polynesian people might have arrived at south america too before Colombo, but that was an actual scientific theory, iirc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Antikythera mechanism relies on knowledge that the moon has an irregular orbit and the sun a much more regular apparent orbit, so they must have figured out long before that they were orbiting something possible to orbit. Aristarchus went as far as saying that the Sun was in the middle, because the sun is much further away and much bigger than either the earth or moon, at least according to Archimedes, who wasn't a fan.

Aristarchus was way off in his numbers, but still a lot more aware than any flat earther.

quote:

On the Sizes and Distances of the Sun and Moon provides the details of his remarkable geometric argument, based on observation, whereby he determined that the Sun was about 20 times as distant from the Earth as the Moon, and 20 times the Moon's size. Both these estimates were an order of magnitude too small, but the fault was in Aristarchus's lack of accurate instruments rather than in his correct method of reasoning.

The diagram shows an argument used by Aristarchus. He knew that the moon shines by reflected sunlight, so he argued, if one measured the angle between the moon and sun when the moon is exactly half illuminated then one could compute the ratio of their distances.

The flat earth/black sun argument is even dumber than I remember, because the moon has its own pale light, which is overpowered by the black sun or some poo poo, because imagining yourself as a tiny speck in the universe is somehow scarier than having an invisible nazi sun whirling around overhead making it dark at night.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Something that radiated darkness would be pretty cool though. Like if could make a light bulb out of it (dark bulb?) make your room nice and dark for afternoon naps

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also it'd imply the existence of an antimicrowave oven that can make things cold in two minutes without the heat needing to go anywhere, which would be better than waiting for ice cubes to freeze or store bought soda to cool down in summer.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeah no more putting a can of beer in the freezer that explodes cuz you forgot about it.

We need our most online Nazi researchers to get on this quick

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats interesting

Ive read once that Polynesian people might have arrived at south america too before Colombo, but that was an actual scientific theory, iirc

"Just one more question, around what time would you say you set sail from Polynesia?"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Presto posted:

"Just one more question, around what time would you say you set sail from Polynesia?"

LOL

“Well, thank you for yer time, King Manu.

Oh… there’s just one little thing that bothers me…”

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

VitalSigns posted:

Something that radiated darkness would be pretty cool though. Like if could make a light bulb out of it (dark bulb?) make your room nice and dark for afternoon naps

John Milton's Paradise Lost posted:

At once as far as angels ken he views
The dismal situation waste and wild,
A dungeon horrible, on all sides round
As one great furnace flamed, yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Hell gets all the coolest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Polynesian contact theory is a legit thing, but it's pretty much at the level of "entirely plausible hypothetical for which we currently have no hard evidence." They had the capacity and a history of exploratory voyages westward whenever population pressures on whatever islands they occupied got too much, and were entirely capable of reaching the western coast of South American from Hawaii, but to date I don't know of anyone finding any solid evidence they actually did it. There's some soft cultural similarities here and there that you can see if you want to between them and some subsets of indigenous South Americans, but nothing that couldn't also just be coincidental simultaneous developments by both parties.