Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Africans in South America is pure Graham Hancock hokum. People think the olmec heads look like Africas and that some of their sculptures have faces that look Asian, ergo the olmecs were Africans and Asians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They just went the long way round.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

technically the ancients didnt know the sun , moon and other objects were round , they could have been great disks that always face the earth.
Most ancient peoples did not consider them objects at all, but either literal or metaphorical gods. Geometrical notions just do not apply to concepts like that.

Herman Merman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 29, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-bucks-promise-wealth-maga-loyalty-lose-thousands-rcna84965

Trump Bucks that you can redeem for tens of times the face value are conning people. Even banks are turning people trying to redeem them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Polynesian contact theory is a legit thing, but it's pretty much at the level of "entirely plausible hypothetical for which we currently have no hard evidence." They had the capacity and a history of exploratory voyages westward whenever population pressures on whatever islands they occupied got too much, and were entirely capable of reaching the western coast of South American from Hawaii, but to date I don't know of anyone finding any solid evidence they actually did it. There's some soft cultural similarities here and there that you can see if you want to between them and some subsets of indigenous South Americans, but nothing that couldn't also just be coincidental simultaneous developments by both parties.

The existence of sweet potatoes in Polynesia isn't conclusive but it is compelling

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-bucks-promise-wealth-maga-loyalty-lose-thousands-rcna84965

Trump Bucks that you can redeem for tens of times the face value are conning people. Even banks are turning people trying to redeem them.

It’s wild that everyone is so worried about how social media affects kids while their grandparents are apparently posting themselves into a full-scale break with reality.

Did talk radio produce these kinds of insane delusions back in the 90s?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bill Cooper likely influenced Tim McVeigh into blowing up a government building, and Cooper was constantly promoting every kind of "put your money in X, which the feds can't constitutionally touch" scam, so it's very likely.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s wild that everyone is so worried about how social media affects kids while their grandparents are apparently posting themselves into a full-scale break with reality.

Did talk radio produce these kinds of insane delusions back in the 90s?

It's amazing how the modern GOP is a mix of utterly delusional true believers and transparent conmen just in it for the grift. These elements have always been there, but are steadily gaining more and more power. Scamming the elderly has always been lucrative your targeting a demographic that is both unfamiliar with changing technology and potentially experiencing cognitive decline.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Trump fun bux actually had a connection with the man himself. If it was anyone else they would be worried about it hurting the gravy train he already has, but the more he cheats his own fans the more they seem to love him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I dont know posted:

the more he cheats his own fans the more they seem to love him.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-trading-cards-nft-b2322583.html

quote:

Donald Trump released a second iteration of his NFT trading cards on Tuesday and despite bragging about making $4.6m the actual value of the cards dropped significantly.

The former president announced on 18 April that he was selling another series of the NFT trading cards, similar to the ones he released this past December.

“I am pleased to inform you that, due to the great success of my previously launched DIGITAL TRADING CARDS, we are doing it again, SERIES 2, AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW,” Mr Trump wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social.

Approximately six hours later, Mr Trump said all of his 47,000 digital trading cards sold out, totalling $4.6m.

But the actual value of the trading cards told a different story as the floor price dropped from 0.42945 ETH to 0.18 ETH within 24 hours according to OpenSea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwSO0IGyX8

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Not sure if people are aware of the "Apes" phenomenon that has arisen on reddit as an outgrowth of the Wallstreetbets memestocks:

There's an SA thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042825&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=ape&pagenumber=1

Pretty solid video on it from folding ideas (line goes up guy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

He directly contrasts with Qanon at one point and says he doesn't see much overlap, but I see a lot of the same behaviors - interpreting vague signals from public figures and decoding them, and endless wait for a day that prophecy that is never fulfilled, an insular community with built in reinforcement mechanisms in the culture, myriad shibboleths and in-group jargon, a syncretic belief structure that is constantly morphing and re-interpreting past events.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Those are just standard conspiracy cult behaviors. I think what he meant by there not being a lot of overlap that these are not exactly the same people doing both at once.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

pseudanonymous posted:

Not sure if people are aware of the "Apes" phenomenon that has arisen on reddit as an outgrowth of the Wallstreetbets memestocks:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042825&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=ape&pagenumber=1

He directly contrasts with Qanon at one point and says he doesn't see much overlap, but I see a lot of the same behaviors - interpreting vague signals from public figures and decoding them, and endless wait for a day that prophecy that is never fulfilled, an insular community with built in reinforcement mechanisms in the culture, myriad shibboleths and in-group jargon, a syncretic belief structure that is constantly morphing and re-interpreting past events.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video. This is Qanon for the stock market.

I just can't wrap my head around it. This or Qanon. It's like seeing three lines of different length on the board and seeing every one else in the room say the 2nd longest line is the longest. I've seen explanation after explanation of the phenomenon. Why are these people not seeing the absurdity of their own beliefs?

I feel like the apes are addicted to copium. I feel like Qanon are addicted to copium too. They wanted Trump because he promised them what they want, an end to everything they hate: liberals, Washington corruption, my kids who won't talk to me. As Trump demonstrated himself to be a child in a man's body with little interest in governing and no talent to accomplish anything, they became arsonists. They clung to Q in the hopes that their delusions could become reality. The apes are clinging to meme stocks for the same reason and I feel bad for family member's who have lost wealth from Apes stealing to buy more worthless stocks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Clarste posted:

Those are just standard conspiracy cult behaviors. I think what he meant by there not being a lot of overlap that these are not exactly the same people doing both at once.

I think what links them more strongly then most cults and differentiates them, is their digital nature and dependence on social media, and fundamentally their lack of a single organizing charismatic leader.

Though it would be interesting to contrast them with JFK assassination people, flat Earthers and UFO believers.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Zoeb posted:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video. This is Qanon for the stock market.

I just can't wrap my head around it. This or Qanon. It's like seeing three lines of different length on the board and seeing every one else in the room say the 2nd longest line is the longest. I've seen explanation after explanation of the phenomenon. Why are these people not seeing the absurdity of their own beliefs?

I feel like the apes are addicted to copium. I feel like Qanon are addicted to copium too. They wanted Trump because he promised them what they want, an end to everything they hate: liberals, Washington corruption, my kids who won't talk to me. As Trump demonstrated himself to be a child in a man's body with little interest in governing and no talent to accomplish anything, they became arsonists. They clung to Q in the hopes that their delusions could become reality. The apes are clinging to meme stocks for the same reason and I feel bad for family member's who have lost wealth from Apes stealing to buy more worthless stocks.

Good news, Dan Olsen (folding ideas) did a video on qanon too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
That transition to part 2 is a killer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Ahem (2 and a half years ago):

Murgos posted:

Not directly Q related but has anyone been following the $GME pump and dump being executed by r/WallStreetBets?

It's pretty directly using the 'Meme War' methodology used to elect and support Trump to incite a mob to buy and hold GameStop shares in the face of massive short positions by institutional investors. It's full of the same tropes used by Q and their 'weaponized autists', "I too used to be a liberal passive investor but just follow this tangled logic and your life will be better!"

Look at all these funny memes, they are funny right? So they must be true! Rockets! Tendies! Diamonds!

Except in this case it's not blind loyalty to a wannabe dictator in the face of massive contradictions and disjointed truths it's 'just buy and hold this stock in the face minor things like stock dips or the fundamental truth that a brick and mortar game sales chain is a doomed business'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l19k9r/gme_megathread_lemon_party_keep_your_shitposting/

Maybe I am seeing things that aren't there but it certainly seems like the same techniques being used at a meta level.

Edit: I actually posted this on Jan 20, 2021 so well ahead of the peak madness.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The Polynesian contact theory is a legit thing, but it's pretty much at the level of "entirely plausible hypothetical for which we currently have no hard evidence." They had the capacity and a history of exploratory voyages westward whenever population pressures on whatever islands they occupied got too much, and were entirely capable of reaching the western coast of South American from Hawaii, but to date I don't know of anyone finding any solid evidence they actually did it. There's some soft cultural similarities here and there that you can see if you want to between them and some subsets of indigenous South Americans, but nothing that couldn't also just be coincidental simultaneous developments by both parties.

There's genetic evidence, that in combination with some of the other less definite things means it's almost certainly a thing that happened.

It's easter island tho, not Hawaii.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 8, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

exmachina posted:

Good news, Dan Olsen (folding ideas) did a video on qanon too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

I've been on a general Dan Olsen watchathon recently and came to this one today. Halfway through when it transitions from flat earthism to Q, the idea is that a lot of the same people moved over to a new version of the same poo poo. So where are those people now? Q stuff in general seems way less prevalent now - but maybe I'm just ignorant to it! - so, like, what's next?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anno posted:

I've been on a general Dan Olsen watchathon recently and came to this one today. Halfway through when it transitions from flat earthism to Q, the idea is that a lot of the same people moved over to a new version of the same poo poo. So where are those people now? Q stuff in general seems way less prevalent now - but maybe I'm just ignorant to it! - so, like, what's next?

Q metamorphosed into gay panic, banning books, and killing teachers, which became mainstream republican positions in ‘22.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Q metamorphosed into gay panic, banning books, and killing teachers, which became mainstream republican positions in ‘22.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. No need for a new relatively hidden conspiracy theory when you can just practice openly. I just thought there would be a new "end of the world" type literally-a-Christian-doomsday-cult thing going rather than "only" traditional fascism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jethro posted:

That transition to part 2 is a killer.

Legitimately the greatest rugpull I've ever experienced.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Telsa Cola posted:

There's genetic evidence, that in combination with some of the other less definite things means it's almost certainly a thing that happened.

Do you have any links to genetic studies on this? Last time I went looking I couldn't find anything that wasn't either speculative or just unreliable.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Do you have any links to genetic studies on this? Last time I went looking I couldn't find anything that wasn't either speculative or just unreliable.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2487-2

I don't agree with some of their claims, but what they present looks solid enough to me to say that there was enough intermingling for it to show up genetically. But if you are a geneticist and there is something fundamental wrong with what they did lemme know. I don't really handle the genetic side of archaeology.

Also as far as I know there hasn't been a rebuttal paper on it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Telsa Cola posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2487-2

I don't agree with some of their claims, but what they present looks solid enough to me to say that there was enough intermingling for it to show up genetically. But if you are a geneticist and there is something fundamental wrong with what they did lemme know. I don't really handle the genetic side of archaeology.

Also as far as I know there hasn't been a rebuttal paper on it.

Sadly no, I'm a historian so I can't speak to the substance; when I teach world history I usually reference the Polynesian contact hypothesis as one of the actual/probably pre-Colobian contacts of the outside world with the Americas, and to-date I've always framed it as I posted above. Presuming this study stands, I'll need to amend that bit of the class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sweet potato cultivation across the Pacific is another bit of evidence that supports the theory of contact between the Polynesians and the South Americans.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall there's nothing to suggest a deliberate transportation of seeds so much as it matches the rotation of the globe / seeds live pretty long in water. Still shows that there's potential for boat travel.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Elon Musk made a lovely joke and posted ”Q*Anon” on twitter. I wanna see crazies.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's something I've noticed you see a lot with the internet and right wing subcultures, but basically atheists and secularists keep reinventing apocalyptic Christianity just with less overt religious elements. The Apes and QAnon are just messianic doomsday cults, just as the Singularity was before it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Elon Musk made a lovely joke and posted ”Q*Anon” on twitter. I wanna see crazies.

Mostly just freaks like this:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's something I've noticed you see a lot with the internet and right wing subcultures, but basically atheists and secularists keep reinventing apocalyptic Christianity just with less overt religious elements. The Apes and QAnon are just messianic doomsday cults, just as the Singularity was before it.
I suspect it's a subset of atheists who've adopted atheism as a form of rebelling, but still have that need to believe ~something~.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Racetheism.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Vahakyla posted:

They all seem to be seeing the * as holding special meaning... Any ideas what it represents in their worldview?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was it meant as a Q*bert joke when he posted it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It probably was but honestly it's hard to tell what Musk is thinking ever since taking over Twitter and getting made fun of constantly turned his brain into fondue.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was it meant as a Q*bert joke when he posted it?

a reference to the new AI by OpenAI that is supposedly called Q*

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Yeah but they were replies like " he used the asterisk he knows exactly what he's doing. "

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Leon Sumbitches posted:

They all seem to be seeing the * as holding special meaning... Any ideas what it represents in their worldview?

Like everything else with Q it is a wildcard that shifts in meaning at the drop of a hat, always coming back to "I was always right and my doubters and nay sayers are silent." The goalpost is on wheels. It's like a how random noises that come out of Donald Trump's brain hole are genius 9 dimensional chess predictions about the future. Like how he idly speculated that one day all currencies would equal the dollar, which led to q people falling for the Iraqi Dinar grift or how Trump speculated that if bleach kills COVID, what if we put bleach in the body which was a boon for that cult that sells bleach for people to drink.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It distinguishes between “Q” and “anons”.

It is a nod to their attempt to claim “there is no Qanon, there is Q, and there are anons”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It distinguishes between “Q” and “anons”.

It is a nod to their attempt to claim “there is no Qanon, there is Q, and there are anons”

I saw Q and the Anons open for Clem Snide way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
*sigh*

Maybe I should draft an open letter to "anonymous" from Consensus, and make a moderate effort to to signal boost it.

I don't have the energy.

I should probably pen something for Discovery's "The Garden" fandom at some point.

I'm just making charcuterie boards and stacking paper back home, anymore.

Working too many hours to accomplish anything, for too little money to accomplish anything.

How fitting.

At least I can still keep up with this thread on holidays.

#pete4prez #southbendrenaissance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)