Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

90s Cringe Rock posted:

furries and juggalos good, bronies bad

Seriously: the internet taught me to despise furries and it wanst until very recently that I realized the most of them are just queer kids; usually very progressive, and at the very least, harmless

At the other hand, a lot of people who I used to see merciless mocking they revealed themselves as nazis and/or horrible people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Argas posted:

Examining your beliefs requires admitting some insecurity and showing a lack of confidence. They're signs of weakness and oh no we must never be weak, etc.

Also those beliefs act as justification and redemption for what they know they are

Most of people like that I see are selfish, cruel, bigoted, greedy etc. And they know it.

But this set of beliefs allows them to view exactly that as virtuous, right, moral, christian; they dont have to feel bad for not caring about homeless people, or for being racist or homophobic: they are the good people. And the peole talking about those issues, they are the evil ones, they are communists, satanists etc

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 21, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Hillary Qlinton

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

alf_pogs posted:

I'm from Australia and our right wing lunatics are suspiciously similar in policy and tone to the American right wing lunatics

qanon might have started in the US but it gained a foothold everywhere. these ideas aren't exclusive to a single country anymore, even if folks in the US tend to propagate them a bit more loud and proud

Im brazilian and right now out conservatives are very much like the american conservatives but on steroids, except here they are still in power and have open support from the military

And they are very high on qanon too, which is why I follow this thread

edit: 1) Im just saying: it can be worst and 2) qanon unfortunately is no longer an exclusively american phenomenon

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 1, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Here in Brazil they love Trump just as much as they love Bolsonaro (and Bolsonaro himself loves Trump) and they are actually expecting that Trump is coming back to power now on August and will somehow save Bolsonaro from the upcoming 2022 fraud and the international conspiracy against him

edit: have in mind that these people would love and approve if Brazil became an American colony. That's how their nationalism works

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I love it. The old-fashioned "common sense" trumps science argument. A plane could never fly with 50 elephants on the wing! I don't need so see a science equation to know that!

Yes, that proves elephants arent real

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
BOL

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Babies instinctually eat cat poop. Do they know something we don't?!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's one of the reasons Afrocentrists think Africans discovered the Americas first in related conspiracy theory nonsense.

Thats a new one for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LanceHunter posted:

There is a slim possibility that Mansa Muhammad sailed West from Mali and possibly reached somewhere in the Americas. There's a greater probability that Mansa Musa made that story up to impress some Egyptians and/or cover up some of his less-than-legitimate actions to become ruler of the Mali Empire.

Of course, even if the journey had happened and been successful, at most it would be a historical curiosity. Something like with the brief Norse settlements in North America. The reason Columbus's expedition was important wasn't because of "discovery", it was the opening of continual contact and exchange. If Columbus had returned to Spain and everybody said "yeah, this Western route to the Indies is too expensive/unimportant" and didn't fund any other trips for several centuries, then his trip too wouldn't have had much impact on the world.

As to whether the average ancient person thought the earth was flat or round, I think the most obvious answer is that they didn't think about it one way or another. It was mostly an specialized scientific knowledge that wasn't particularly relevant to the daily lives of people. And unlike, say, the specialized scientific knowledge irrelevant to our daily lives that we tend to think about a lot in 2023 (quantum physics, etc) we don't have a lot of evidence of cultural products (songs, stories, or other art) that made reference to it.

Thats interesting

Ive read once that Polynesian people might have arrived at south america too before Colombo, but that was an actual scientific theory, iirc