Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ah, Pantheon. Hello, old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

So all joking aside, how many people here would play a game like this if it gets released and isn't total dookie?

I think I would. His last game, Vanguard, I miss sorely, even though it was unfinished and had lots of technical problems. Maybe not being under the pressure of SOE (they don't exist anymore) would give them the freedom to make something decent.

I don't fault people for being pessimistic about another McQuaid game at all, but I personally really like his game design philosophy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

The Bramble posted:

Something about the subtitle "Rise of the Fallen" just makes me laugh. I know subtitles in games are generally overly dramatic nonsense, but this one really kind of jumps the shark.

Well, what else are fallen supposed to do?

Pantheon: Falling of the Fallen

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zil posted:

Pantheon: Coming Down From on High

I see what you did there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Vanguard was entirely on McQuaid not SOE. SOE was just an angel investor after Microsoft cut ties with development when they found out that after three years of development all they had was an engine and some macro tools that didn't even work with the current build of the engine.

I wonder how much of Pantheon was coded by people being paid in exposure.

Either way, it was released way too early, and the client was incredibly unstable and had a terrible memory leak. I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

The class design was great. It wasn't balanced at all (paladins were far and away the best tanks due to the number of immunities they had, disciples could solo anything and everything), but the classes were really interesting and if you didn't care about Hardcore World First Raiding (lol there was none anyway), it was fine.

The world was great, but really let down by the awful chunking system they had.

The initial storylines for each race's starting area were really cool, and very different from each other. But then they shoved everyone into the island of dawn and we all got a generic, if focused 1-10 experience.

The dungeons were actual adventures to go through. Some weren't finished at all due to, yet again, development issues, but they had some real interesting ones, like the dungeon where you piloted a flying mech thing, the entirety of trengal keep etc.

THe music owned.

The crafting was cool, and I'm certain FFXIV was inspired by it.

Diplomacy was a neat but really undercooked idea.

The engine was a buggy mess, they modeled and rendered npc eyeballs and tongues, it did no occlusion culling, it loaded everything in a single thread so your whole game would lock up while it grabbed all the player textures...

The whole game was basically a giant collection of flashes of brilliance stuck into something really lovely. If you could handle the crap bits you could have a lot of fun in it.

Good post. I didn't want to make the effort.

I did a lot of crafting. I've done crafting in quite a few MMORPGs, and none of them were nearly as fun as Vanguard. I don't know how to explain it other than each time you crafted it was a conscious choice in the process instead of mindlessly clicking "MAKE ITEM" 500 times. You'd craft at various crafting stations around the world, and the guildmaster would give you quests to make x amount of items which you'd turn in, and get a reward bag. Bags had varying levels of rewards, depending on how successes you had, and sometimes you'd get a rare component which would let you make a super rare item and make you lots of money. I enjoyed it a lot.

The music was way better than it needed to be. There are at least 106 mp3s in the Vanguard OST, lasting about 6 hours and 45 minutes. And it was all very good music, it sounded orchestral.

People were still discovering stuff the days before Vanguard went down. Lots of the game was unfinished, though, like it was mentioned. New Targanor, the capital of Thestra, was basically empty. It had a boat to take you to the other continents, and the king or whoever the dude was didn't do anything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I miss Vanguard. There's no private servers that actually work and are close to Live, right?

The only emulator I know of posts an update every few months. It'll be years before its done, if they even manage to make it that far.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'd love a Vanguard emulator. I never got to play it.

All this Vanguard talk makes me sad. The game itself was really, really good. The bad parts were all management related. I have this dream I grasp in futility where Daybreak Games sells the Vanguard IP and someone else refines the game and rereleases it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

taels posted:

I see there's two fairly complete vanguard emulators/private servers. Any good, any actual pop on em?

I don't think they are fairly complete. Far from it. You probably saw a small part which was mostly done which they showed off as a proof of concept. Its gonna be a really long time, if ever, that we'll see an emulated Vanguard.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Huh. I always thought Cloudsong was a WoW thing. Who knew. It sounds like the name of a bow.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought you guys were joking about being interested in this game

it's going to be loving terrible, don't give brad a dime and go play something not made by an idiot manchild who throws tantrums about how his unique class isn't unique enough

So how much do you think I should pledge to this game

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Does each race get their own starting zone and capital city?

In the streams I've frequently heard "Thronefast the starting city for humans" so probably.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Stanley Pain posted:

how sad is it that i am probably going to play this game?

You'll never be as pathetic as me, if that means anything.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

milkman dad posted:

I feel like I have seen you post in almost every MMO thread. Would you detail all the MMO games you have played? Do you have a favorite?

I haven't posted in most of the MMOG threads, honestly. The MMORPGs I've played are Ultima Online, Everquest, and Vanguard. I've played the beta of others but I'm not counting those. My favorite is easily Ultima Online, especially pre-Renaissance. The Renaissance was when OSI added the non-pvp facet of the game.

I guess if you count MUDs, I played Dragonrealms a lot. But that's it. I'm just... very attached to the memories of the games, which fuels false hope.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 5, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

Node is a beautiful and wonderful creature, too good for the lovely world of MMOs

You're so good to me, I feel like you're the only one that understands :glomp:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

come to the warframe paradise, my friend

What does that offer me over Vermintide 2?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Null1fy posted:

how does a game that doesnt even exist have 7 pages

It's going to be that amazing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

DAoC is definitely the better mmo and is my personal #1, more so than pre-trammel UO.

I'll fight you

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is the title so bad.

"witty" titles are annoying and stupid

e: of course, with me saying that, it's probably going to get changed now

Node fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 16, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I really don't want this game to suck but my heart still tells me it will. Is there anything yet about an open beta though?

They're estimating a 2020 release I think, so maybe mid 2019 or later. It's all speculation at this point.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'll have not one but two mana bars as a Paladin I have to watch over? Boycotting this game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wouldn't mind if he blatantly copy/pasted the blood mage and disciple, those were really fun and unique classes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

please post which MMORPGs are like this so I can immediately go play them.

Edit: I should add that I want soloing to be very difficult and I prefer to rely on grouping

Shroud of the Avatar! Come play, gamer!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Vanguard at least released. :v: I think it would still be going too if it didn't operate under Daybreak Games.

:qq:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone play on the Vanguard private server? Was wondering how progress is coming along on there?

Judging by their updates (mostly on Facebook) progress is super slow. A fully playable emulator might never happen, but at least they're trying.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

but then you don't form ~real relationships~

Hello neighbour

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

a raft that you can sail on

I hope this means you can buy your own boats to sail wherever you want to. Boats were craftable in Vanguard and they were a really great aspect of the game. And of course they were in UO, too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

those graphics are so boring.

Boring graphics for a boring genre obviously.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I just remembered that the Goon guild in Vanguard was called Guardians of the Van.

I think that's the best goon guild name ever.

Were you in it too? If so, greetings, old friend.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Xolve posted:

I always thought he named this after his opioid abuse related erectile dysfunction.

Wait, opioid abuse can cause ED? I'm uhhh asking for a friend

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Acorn Elemental looks terrifying.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
drat, still no positions for professional Ideas Guy

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Schubalts posted:

Like there weren't garbage people in Everquest and Ultima.

In Ultima you could just kill them or steal something from them. Until Trammel at least.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Never mind, I don't want this game to come out anymore.

Don't let the SHEEPLE put your spirits down. Recapture your hype for this game.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 14, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

onesixtwo posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416 This is the original thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=207941 here are Brad's posts. Then the second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744114&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 after Brad stopped posting / most people knew it was dumpster fire. Now we're here, some four years later, still in pre-alpha.

What a great thread that was.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Beefeater posted:

Can I go to Faerthale yet

How much have you pledged

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

listen

if you want the game to come out quicker then maybe you should give them some money

This is my philosophy. Everyone give me your credit card information, I will ensure any purchases made will be done towards a worthy cause.

(Don't actually do this)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo. Rest in peace.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'm legit sad

Me too. Dude had a lot of faults. But he gave me Everquest, and Vanguard (even though Vanguard was in lovely shape at release) and as far as I'm concerned, no other MMORPG has ever come close to those except UO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Flavahbeast posted:

mmos were never good

uo was good and I will not hear otherwise

*pks u*