Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

True but it’s another traditional safe seat lost (the majority has been shrinking under Woodcock though I actually cited him as my reason for cancelling my party membership) which the press will fall over themselves to fling at JC, unfortunately I don’t think it would swing back under his leadership if it does fall because ‘OMG THE ALMIGHTY SHIPYARD AND TRIDENT MUST PROTECT JOBS AT ALL COSTS DESPITE BEING THE POOREST WARD IN THE COUNTRY’.

Same voters were fully behind Brexit despite being one of the most isolated non-diverse communities in the country.

Hey fellow Furnessian. I don't keep up with politics or anything much back there because it's where dreams go to die, but I've certainly got the impression he isn't particularly popular himself within the constituency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

I strongly doubt it would result in a by-election. Even if he got expelled Woodcock would hang on as an independent just to dig at Corbyn, and then probably run again just to split the Tory vote. He's a spiteful arsehole.

On the positive side, an actual Tory MP would not be as damaging to Labour as Woodcock is.

ftfy

Bacon Terrorist posted:

True but it’s another traditional safe seat lost (the majority has been shrinking under Woodcock though I actually cited him as my reason for cancelling my party membership) which the press will fall over themselves to fling at JC, unfortunately I don’t think it would swing back under his leadership if it does fall because ‘OMG THE ALMIGHTY SHIPYARD AND TRIDENT MUST PROTECT JOBS AT ALL COSTS DESPITE BEING THE POOREST WARD IN THE COUNTRY’.

Same voters were fully behind Brexit despite being one of the most isolated non-diverse communities in the country.

One term of Woodcock reduced the majority from 11.8% in 2010 to 1.8% in 2015 and then 0.5% in 2017.

It's not clear to me that running a fresh candidate would damage the Labour vote there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Really it's nobody's business but the Turks'.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

e: .223 was one half of the Irish republican electoral strategy.

Feel like this didn't get the appreciation it deserved

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

One term of Woodcock reduced the majority from 11.8% in 2010 to 1.8% in 2015 and then 0.5% in 2017.

It's not clear to me that running a fresh candidate would damage the Labour vote there.

the rt. honourable tub of lard MP on a stunning return to politics

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bacon Terrorist posted:

What do you mean, "despite"? Low immigrant population was one of the factors in voting to leave.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Bombing will begin in five minutes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Woodcock is not popular within the constituency and has reduced the majority. However part of that is his personality and part of that is the last two elections have had huge scaremongering about ‘Red Ed’ and Corbyn wanting to shut the shipyard down, which has been a significant factor too.

I’m not saying a fresh Labour candidate would do any worse per se, I’m saying that since the Conservative candidate will likely be Simon Fell again who got a lot of flak for having his Putney address on the voting slip last time round, the smart move would be to appoint a local candidate if such a suitable candidate exists rather than parachute someone in.

Barrow and Furness used to vote for anything wearing a red rosette with the exception of the Cecil Franks blip on the back of Labour’s CND day’s. That is changing now and it is valued enough by the Tories that I have seen William Hague stood in the street campaigning there in past elections. Labour aren’t going to win any fresh vote there on Corbyn’s policies, as sensible as they are and as much as the town could actually use them. It’s very much a town that will vote whichever way the wind is blowing in favour of building more submarines *unless* you get a real champion of the area stepping up to the plate who isn’t concerned with advancing their political career.

It’s a lot harder to play the ‘shipyard is doomed’ against a local candidate who had the last four generations of their family work in the shipyard.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ThomasPaine posted:

Chinese people seem to get comparatively little racist abuse from what I can tell. Chinatowns are everywhere and they're super obvious (the one in Newcastle has a huge Chinese gate for example), loads of the Chinese population speaks little to no English, non-Chinese owned local businesses frequented by Chinese people have signs etc in Chinese for them with Chinese speaking staff...and yet no one bats an eyelid. One tiny minaret on a mosque however and all the gammons are yelling about Londonistan. I have always found this weird contrast between two comparably insular ethnic communities pretty strange.

e: Come to think of it though, I can think of very few people in politics of East Asian ethnicity while there are a a reasonable number of South Asians.

My British Chinese friends who've lived in Manchester their whole lives still get racial abuse fwiw

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've got an acute case of irony poisoning.

https://twitter.com/JWoodcockMP/status/991048691439063042

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'll mix all the metaphors I like lad.

Gonna mix all the pure British metaphors with dirty foreign metaphors

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Spuckuk posted:

My British Chinese friends who've lived in Manchester their whole lives still get racial abuse fwiw

My time living in one of Ireland's second cities reminded me how immaturely racist people from less diverse areas can be.
I don't think there was a single time when I went out drinking with an Asian colleague that a randomer didn't spout "ching chong chow" or some variant at him.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Beefeater1980 posted:

60 and 77 are both at the low end of Fixed and comfortable.

Sort of. If you need to buy housing anywhere within a 2 hour commute of London then I wouldn't call it "comfortable" exactly. My wife and I make a combined £80k pre-tax and while we're by no means hard up, that's actually just about enough to have:

General living costs for a reasonable standard of living - we don't eat out much, drink much, smoke, etc. but we don't have to be super careful about our supermarket food spend.
A *small* 3-bed house (which we currently don't have).
Private medical insurance (subsidised heavily through my wife's work, which I only feel is even remotely necessary because the NHS is so hosed).
2 (10-year old, non-luxury) cars and running costs (would get by with one total if possible but need 1 each for work).
Pension savings (which I've worked out actually needs to be something like £800/month, bearing in mind I've not been able to afford to start putting any real money into it until just recently and I'm 32 - also I'm fairly convinced/afraid that by the time I reach pension age they will have raised it to like 80 and/or they'll have cut it down to basically nothing/abolished it completely).
A bit left over for discretionary spending.

If we want to start a family, either one of us has to give up work at least partially and earn significantly less, or pay for childcare which is loving expensive, and so something significant from the above has got to give. It's not gonna be the house because gently caress having a family in what we've currently got (small 2 bed flat, though the 2nd bedroom isn't really big enough to be an actual bedroom), so it has to be out of discretionary spending... but that's still not enough, and we could do away with medical insurance, but that's still not enough and even then I wouldn't want to have a kid without having some half decent healthcare (which the NHS currently isn't up to)... so some comes out of pension savings too... or we keep all that other stuff and just like half the pension savings (which leaves us retiring later or just generally having a much worse standard of life in retirement, let alone if one of us gets sick as we get older).

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining exactly as I know we actually have it good compared to a lot of people but even if you're not "struggling" things are still overall hosed for most people. All that poo poo was easy for our parents' generation. Hell even my brother who is 7 years older than me (39) had it way easier - when he was 19 (1998) he bought a 3-bed detached house for £75k, with a 2.5% deposit. That same house is now worth £245k according to Zoopla. My point is though that although we're past the "worrying about money every month" stage, things have become so loving mega distorted due to the people in the top (say) 5% pushing up the prices of everything that to be actually comfortable to the point where money isn't a long-term worry (Not to the point where the main money worry is "I wonder if I'm getting as much return on my investments as I could be", but more like not having to think "Oh poo poo what's gonna happen when I get old, will I be able to actually retire? gently caress I hope I don't get sick") you need to be above where we are by quite a bit, and we're (I'm guessing) already above average in terms of our earnings.

So getting back to MPs, I'd say that somebody else's idea in here of doubling their pay but also executing them (or other suitable harsh punishment) if they take any kind of payment from any other oval office might actually be a good plan. In terms of sorting out the rest of that poo poo for average people, something as simple as just making all childcare heavily subsidised and very cheap/free would make a shitload of difference. Tackling crazy house prices is also obviously another huge thing.

Sorry for this, probably makes me seem like a right entitled and ungrateful oval office, and I know that lots of people can't afford any pension savings at all and that there are people probably in this thread who really are struggling on a monthly basis... just feels good to get it off my chest. It just seems like a median wage couple can't realistically afford to start a family and also save for retirement, in the part of the country where house prices are ridiculous (so most of the country)... and that's all kinds of hosed up.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 1, 2018

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'll mix all the metaphors I like lad.

Gonna mix all the pure British metaphors with dirty foreign metaphors

Tories behave like they're in the turkey's age. Their heads are burnt. May sure managed a booger with the Windrush fiasco. This country's all tied up with chicken wire. Any more of these fascist tendencies and the green Falcons will be out in force.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Tories behave like they're in the turkey's age. Their heads are burnt. May sure managed a booger with the Windrush fiasco. This country's all tied up with chicken wire. Any more of these fascist tendencies and the green Falcons will be out in force.

*Thumb man's head turns from pink to purple with rage*

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

It's no "ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE", but I'll take it

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/MartinJDowns/status/991074199421808641
Caption: "Sajid Javid adopted the Tory 'power pose' popularised by George Osborne for his first appearance"

Are they actually trying to spin standing like a twat into a positive?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Are these fuckers completely ignorant to the fact they all look like they've just shat themselves?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TheRat posted:

Are these fuckers completely ignorant to the fact they all look like they've just shat themselves?

Quite a few of the papers have gone with that picture of him front and centre. I can't really think of a better way to brand him a dickhead from day one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

I can't really think of a better way to brand him a dickhead from day one.

"Tory MP"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

I can't really think of a better way to brand him a dickhead from day one.

"he reads Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead once a year"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bet he doesn’t

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Truly, the Daily Mail's tireless crusade for democratic reform of the House of Lords is an inspiration to us all. I'm sure they'll come out in favour of proportional representation any day now...

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/991078286712242178

Got my vote! :corbyn:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

drat, wish I could vote for someone that'd fight for my commnunity.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

I see the 'kippers are still pursuing shock tactics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

I see the 'kippers are still pursuing shock tactics.

They're fine with two in the pink but they would never put one in the brown.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Re Woodcock and Barrow in Furness, I'd never really thought about the town in my life until I read this Guardian report into the town the other day:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/28/barrow-in-furness-drug-deaths-heroin-coastal-towns-blackpool

I followed it up with a bit of Google street view and whoah: The town is deprived as poo poo and the single solitary thing they've got going for them is the shipyard, which gives them jobs and an identity. Barrow already looks pretty hosed: if the nuclear submarines go, they're completely hosed and they know it: They're a poor community at the end of an isolated peninsula and no other employment in the town. I understand a bit better why they're so stubborn about clinging on to their machinery of death now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

tbh the one thing I've never understood about communities driven to drug/alcohol abuse and suchlike because of terrible prospects and all that, is do they not know video games exist??

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

tbh the one thing I've never understood about communities driven to drug/alcohol abuse and suchlike because of terrible prospects and all that, is do they not know video games exist??

PS4s are cool and all but so is MDMA. PS4s and MDMA, now you're on to a winner.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Drugs scare me, I know my jerk body would insist on some sort of adverse reaction like a big jerk.

Wouldn’t mind some steroids though. :v:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Marenghi posted:

My time living in one of Ireland's second cities reminded me how immaturely racist people from less diverse areas can be.
I don't think there was a single time when I went out drinking with an Asian colleague that a randomer didn't spout "ching chong chow" or some variant at him.

Yeah, I grew up in a town in Ireland, to this day it's a long way from diverse (there was one non-white family there growing up out of 20k people), and the casual racism is like the UK 20 - 30 years ago.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

WhatEvil posted:

Sort of. If you need to buy housing anywhere within a 2 hour commute of London then I wouldn't call it "comfortable" exactly. My wife and I make a combined £80k pre-tax and while we're by no means hard up, that's actually just about enough to have:

General living costs for a reasonable standard of living - we don't eat out much, drink much, smoke, etc. but we don't have to be super careful about our supermarket food spend.
Private medical insurance (subsidised heavily through my wife's work, which I only feel is even remotely necessary because the NHS is so hosed).
2 (10-year old, non-luxury) cars and running costs (would get by with one total if possible but need 1 each for work).
Pension savings (which I've worked out actually needs to be something like £800/month, bearing in mind I've not been able to afford to start putting any real money into it until just recently and I'm 32 - also I'm fairly convinced/afraid that by the time I reach pension age they will have raised it to like 80 and/or they'll have cut it down to basically nothing/abolished it completely).

If we want to start a family, either one of us has to give up work at least partially and earn significantly less, or pay for childcare which is loving expensive, and so something significant from the above has got to give. It's not gonna be the house because gently caress having a family in what we've currently got (small 2 bed flat, though the 2nd bedroom isn't really big enough to be an actual bedroom), so it has to be out of discretionary spending... but that's still not enough, and we could do away with medical insurance, but that's still not enough and even then I wouldn't want to have a kid without having some half decent healthcare (which the NHS currently isn't up to)... so some comes out of pension savings too... or we keep all that other stuff and just like half the pension savings (which leaves us retiring later or just generally having a much worse standard of life in retirement, let alone if one of us gets sick as we get older).

Reasons I moved back up north. Our household income is ~55k and honestly, living in Liverpool, it feels like a fortune, don't really have to worry about anything (though not having kids probably helps a bunch there).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Adequate posted:

A bottle of cheap cider costs £2.50. A PS4 costs £300. Which do you think is more readily available to someone with no job and terrible prospects?

E: And where is the May thread?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining exactly as I know we actually have it good compared to a lot of people but even if you're not "struggling" things are still overall hosed for most people. All that poo poo was easy for our parents' generation. Hell even my brother who is 7 years older than me (39) had it way easier - when he was 19 (1998) he bought a 3-bed detached house for £75k, with a 2.5% deposit. That same house is now worth £245k according to Zoopla. My point is though that although we're past the "worrying about money every month" stage, things have become so loving mega distorted due to the people in the top (say) 5% pushing up the prices of everything that to be actually comfortable to the point where money isn't a long-term worry (Not to the point where the main money worry is "I wonder if I'm getting as much return on my investments as I could be", but more like not having to think "Oh poo poo what's gonna happen when I get old, will I be able to actually retire? gently caress I hope I don't get sick") you need to be above where we are by quite a bit, and we're (I'm guessing) already above average in terms of our earnings.

So getting back to MPs, I'd say that somebody else's idea in here of doubling their pay but also executing them (or other suitable harsh punishment) if they take any kind of payment from any other oval office might actually be a good plan. In terms of sorting out the rest of that poo poo for average people, something as simple as just making all childcare heavily subsidised and very cheap/free would make a shitload of difference. Tackling crazy house prices is also obviously another huge thing.

Sorry for this, probably makes me seem like a right entitled and ungrateful oval office, and I know that lots of people can't afford any pension savings at all and that there are people probably in this thread who really are struggling on a monthly basis... just feels good to get it off my chest. It just seems like a median wage couple can't realistically afford to start a family and also save for retirement, in the part of the country where house prices are ridiculous (so most of the country)... and that's all kinds of hosed up.

All well and good, but now imagine just one of you was earning that, your mortgage or rent on a home within easy walking distance of work was paid for separately from that, you could charge just about anything tangentially related to your job to expenses, and were free - both legally and time-wise - to take one or more second jobs paying even more. Some of those jobs - NEDs, newspaper columns, and so on - don't even require you to actually turn up, other people will do them for you and you can still pick up an extra 50k or so. Oh and realistically you only have to turn up for your main job every few days, and get 12 weeks off a year.

There are a lot of problems with our democracy. Underpaid representatives is most definitely not one of them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rivers of Rudd

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jedit posted:

It was deported to Jamaica

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Jedit posted:

A bottle of cheap cider costs £2.50. A PS4 costs £300. Which do you think is more readily available to someone with no job and terrible prospects?

It was cancelled due to cuts. It has been sent to private enterprise instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

Pesky can't do it this month, so presumably the Big Society is taking over

Julio Cruz posted:

drat, wish I could vote for someone that'd fight for my commnunity.

Are we sure it's not just a double-barrel, Kamran Razzaq-Fighting? This is the Tories after all, I'm sure having only one surname means an extra charge on signing up. Triple barrels go free.

• Locked thread