Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Someone left the loving Death Star laying on the US 60 so it inevitably sky rocketed nowhere else other than my loving windshield. 99.9% sure I have glass coverage on a new car lets call my provider to double check. NOPE. Yeah, my bad for not making sure months ago but its one of those things thats an easy upsell for customers upgrading cars within the same policy. Silver lining is that its not insane to replace, 300 bucks out the door but I'm still crazy irritated by the whole thing as that was money that didn't need to be spent.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got glass coverage and of course all I ever get are tiny chips and stars that look the same when 'fixed'. The CR-V is about due for a new windshield.

It's a star about an inch wide and normally I'd just get it filled and be pretty meh about it but its absolutely dead center in front of my field of view. :negative:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spog posted:

That happened to somebody I knew and they changed their policy for one with glass coverage and lived with the chip for 6 weeks to avoid suspicion.

I'm tempted. I'm with Progressive and any time I've made vehicle changes or policy changes over the past 15 years they've never not once ever asked to see any of the cars. Not. Once.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
tbf I think any time a company has anything resembling customer facing you run the risk of the self important blow hard employee. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

Chicago is cold as gently caress today.

It's in the mid 90's and I'm headed to the park to play pokemon like an adult.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Have officially eaten too much cheese

This is not actually possible. Might I suggest.....git gud?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
:golfclap:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Safelight got my windshield star filled and I'm surprised at how good it looks. I mean it's not completely gone but drat, not bad. Should last long enough to get the coverage that should have been there and get it properly replaced.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My buddy started a podcast called The Gearhead Project. He's brand new at it so sometimes it's a little weird, minor audio issues as he's upgrading and he's learning to getting his guests to talk more but he's talking to people in the business of car stuff but mostly about how they got started. He knows some really interesting people which makes up for the teething pains.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

everdave posted:

I hope you really don’t believe this. We have all the drones and tanks and missiles in the world and we can’t wipe out ISIS and cave people and all that jazz for a reason.

ISIS is the world's second largest consumer of Stetsons?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
my anecdote can beat up your anecdote

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
the best restaurants are also vehicles

this is fact

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, I don't think you understand the level of sketchiness I'm talking about here. Tamale-man is literally just a dude with a cooler who walks into bars and sells mystery tamales to the drunks. Then he leaves, as quickly as he appears
It's never the same guy twice, but the tamales are always amazing

I'm quite familiar with the rando selling mystery Mexican food from a cooler. You haven't lived until until you've reheated an enchilada you bought at 6 PM from some guy in a Circle K parking lot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Got a text from Cox saying I'm pretty close to my cap. I check their stupid meter thing and yeah I'm close but its time stamped two days ago.

-----
Marie B. at 11:13, Apr 12:
Good morning. It is wonderful to have you here with us today. Allow me a few minutes to check your request. I will return in a moment.
Marie B. at 11:13, Apr 12:
How may I help you?
MoS at 11:14, Apr 12:
Is there a place that the Data Usage meter is actually useful and updates?
Marie B. at 11:15, Apr 12:
I apologize for you being having issues by checking the usage meter, please try to access this tab from your online account using a different browser.
MoS at 11:16, Apr 12:
This has nothing to do with my browser. "Usage as of: 04/10/18" <- this is not useful as the 10th was two days ago.
MoS at 11:16, Apr 12:
Is there a place that I can check my data usage thats close to current?
-----

tldr the answer is no, get hosed. The provided meter is bad by design enjoy paying us extra for literally no reason

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought data caps were only for phones lol.

How do you even use that much data on home internet, gaming?

Very little gaming that requires any amount of bandwidth but like MGS said, it's VERY easy to hit a TB a month.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Huh, I don't even know what my cap is if I have one. But I rarely use the internet for much besides web surfing, Netflix once in a while and some PS3 online games that's about it. But I have cable, I suppose if i cut the cord I'd hit the cap pretty quick.

I work first shift. I come up watch an episode or two of something on Plex or Netflix then stream YouTube documentaries while cleaning or whatever.
Fiance works second shift. She does the same routine as me for the most part.
Kid doesn't sleep as far as I can tell and well, he's a kid with a YouTube account.

I have to be extremely careful on when I download a new game so I wait to the end of my billing cycle to see how much I have left over.
Despite having 4k hardware throughout my house I stream my netflix and plex at 720 because I can't afford the overages.
My cable bill is 83/mon for 60/10. Cox wants another 50/mon to have unlimited. It doesn't get me better service, its literal robbery under the guise of "well maybe you should just pay it so you dont have to worry about it".
I have no other choices for ISP at my address.

gently caress this stupid country in its inability to regulate internet access into a utility.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
lmao so my data meter updated to 99% but still a date of 4/10 soooooo basically I have no internet for 2 days on top of eating a giant fine.

god i love capitalism

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tether off of your phones?

And yeah, Cox loving blows. I've been getting persistent T3 timeouts on my modem (as have some of my neighbors) and they insist it's nothing to do with their network. I'm switching to CL as soon as I can get my truck rolling out of the garage again.

Yeah, its whatever for me but man I am not looking forward to two days of bitching the household is gonna do. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

He is good at holding a grudge, so he's switching to Cox as soon as the contract time is over.

I hope he likes bill creep.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cox is the worst for bill creep. Started at 44.99 five years ago, crept up to 79 loving dollars without any plan changes.

Cancelled them, waited 30 days, signed up for a new plan under a different billing address for the equivalent 29.99 plan.

I'm up from 5 years of 50 to 83 loving dollars over the course of 18 months. It's insane.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Tell them that they are welcome to contribute for the unlimited plan.

:lol::lol:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
*unzips*

e: gently caress. what a terrible snipe.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fermented Tinal posted:

How badly do you have to gently caress up to lose a 98 Ford Ranger?

I have a 17 year old. They seem to do it with relative ease.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

99% of redonk poo poo that happens here is next to a canal pathway lol

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
doing your own taxes is awesome when you're poor and dont own anything! :D

oh.

:smith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
bought me one of them new fangled fitbit versa's. I quite like it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Adiabatic posted:

e: just looked it up... thank god there's no fitbit themed nissan yet.

Just straight shoot me if I ever buy a modern Nissan econobox.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Android or iPhone ecosystem?
I've got an iPhone, but considering the Versa against the Apple Watch Series 1. I actually like the Garmins, but the ones that actually look like watches start at about $300.

Android. I'd be tempted by an apple watch if I liked iOS but I don't and I'm still not completely sold on a full on smart watch. Plus 2 bills was my budget on a new gadget. Heart monitor, steps and notifications was really all I was looking for and the Versa fit that bill perfectly. Getting tired of that weekly minor heart attack trying to remember if I pullled my fitbit One out of my pocket before doing laundry.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seminal Flu posted:

I wish there would be some smart watch development, but it seems utterly stagnant.

Last year I got a Huawei Watch 2 and it was really nice, but limited in its functions. I sent it back and got a Motorola 360 Sport off of eBay for $50 and, for most purposes, it's comparable... meaning... it doesn't do much.

I'd like to have full fitbit-level biometrics, along with good cell phone integration and good battery life, but really it's a watch that happens to notify me of texts and emails and can control the media I'm consuming. There could be so much more...

See, the thing is that it shouldn't be more. in practice no one normal wants to do all that poo poo on a postage stamp sized thing on their wrist when they have a thousand dollar smart phone with a much bigger screen in their pocket. its just like tesla jamming everything into that stupid ipad thing. It's neat until you try to actually use it in real life.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

After the range I went to Bass Pro and took a look around. Came home with a Beretta Pico for $199, manager special.

I also owned (left with ex) a 950 Jetfire. There's something wrong with my brain, I seem to like tinyguns.

I was never one to really like the ranges here. I usually just load up the vehicle and drive north somewhere weird and remote, have lunch, shoot the bang sticks then come back to the valley. I found a little nook about 15 miles east of the Bloody Basin turn off I've been enjoying.

edit:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

All the spots I used to go shooting in the desert around town are full of houses now. Since I live in Buckeye now, there is a nice outdoor range they built a few years ago that's only about 15 minutes from here and I just go there on the rare occasion I actually go shooting. I really should sell off most of my guns, none of them have been fired in like a decade except for the black powder rifle.

Yeah, low desert is either full of houses or so full of garbage it's embarrassing to be there. They actually had to close off Table Mesa a few years ago iirc because of all the garbage shooters were leaving behind lol. Unless you're willing to put in the drive time you're not gonna find anything south of Sunset worthwhile to be. I'm extremely occasional like you but if that's the case I'd rather be out on my own exploring. High desert AZ is real cool imho

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The question: can you fit a 55-inch TV in a sedan.

The answer: Yes, but it has to be a big sedan, and you've got to be under 71 inches tall.

i fit a NIB vizio 55" in the back seat of my Neon. Didn't have to fiddle with the front seats buts lets just say the rear door panels were not amused. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rdb posted:

Holy gently caress don’t post that in the Dorkroom.

I just got my second full frame camera, a Sony A7III. If you read the mirrorless thread you would think its garbage and full frame is worthless.

not posting in dorkroom at all is really good advice

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

So I got an email from Ford today. The fucksticks are dropping my vehicle health reports (sent via my mobile phone from Sync), which is the only way those retards made it possible to see percentage of oil life remaining. They are doing this for model years all the way up through 2016 due to 'old technology'.

I need to go tell the general manager of the dealership I have bought all my cars from that this sort of stupidity (locking my oil life behind their stupid Sync reporting, and then dropping the support for it while I'm still under warranty) is seriously making me reconsider ever buying another Ford, just because a company that stupid doesn't deserve my business.

If they were simultaneously pushing out an upgrade to the car to let me see the oil life (and other vehicle health statuses) on the display in the car then I wouldn't give a poo poo, but to just drop it all on the floor and say too bad? gently caress them.

I couldn't figure out the health report thing as a second owner but I'm not sure I'd ever need it, most car cost tracking apps have really good mileage/time reminders built right in.

That's not to say I'm not currently annoyed with Earnhardt Ford though.

1st ever oil change at their "Quick Lane" department:
- 4 total hours to change my oil, give it the world's shittiest wash and replace some missing screws on the underside tray
- At the three hour mark I overhear the techs saying they straight lost my car in hushed whispers. It took them an hour to find because the wash attendant put it in the wrong lot.
- At one point a customer came in needing a weird accommodation. They were pretty cavalier about mocking him after he left while I was still in the waiting room.
- A month later they email me a survey lol no I don't want to give you a good review. Quick Lane manager calls up, I describe the above, she falls over herself apologizing and gives me 5 free oil changes w/e

2nd change at QL DP
- They can't find my account with oil change freebies. Predictably.
- We're now down to 3 hours for oil and wash.
- Why does my car smell like mildew? [rummage around sounds] Oh, there's a wash rag under my seat. jfc

Gas pedal is now creaking and popping after the vehicle has been *driven* for about 20 minutes or so and its hot out. Doesn't effect driveability other than its really annoying. I'll try Earnhardt's actual service department maybe its better? (lol)
- Lady on the phone taking my appointment could not sound any more annoyed that I'm calling
- Day of I drop off the car and describe the issue again to my service rep, Mel. Not the *driven* part above.
- Despite the appointment lady earlier saying I'd only have to wait 30 minutes for a shuttle its now 90 minutes. gently caress you I'll just walk the 5 miles home whathefuckeverjfc
- Mel calls me to say they can't replicate the issue and to come get it.
- :negative:
- I get there and Mel is nowhere to be found, just some lot kid handing me the keys to my car. I get in, the popping and creaking is instant and super obvious since its been sitting in the sun. Trip computer shows they didn't DRIVE it around, they just let it idle to replicate a GAS PEDAL PROBLEM.
- They sent me a survey day after (yesterday). Lol the experience was poo poo ->send. Mel's boss calls me literally not even a minute after I hit send begging me to bring the car back. I'm not sure if I will. I know its just the spring being near greaseless and at worst AutoZone has the entire assembly for 150 bucks but wtf why am I considering doing this work on my dime and time when I have a warranty. Ugh.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 27, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah I think I'll entertain them on this last one since I normally don't work mondays anyways and need to run errands but I knew in the beginning I'd really only want the warranty for big failures. I should really just replace the pedal myself. 150 aint bad and it looks like its just 4 bolts and the wiring harness.

I need to get the service manual

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

Unfortunately they chose not to give me that option, but I honestly haven't checked since it got a big update a while back. I'll have to recheck.

I have never heard anything good about Earnhardt, and I am continuously amazed they are still in business. I had a terrible experience with them many years ago and have never gone back.

I bought my SRT from them in 03 and just got loving railroaded. The Escape I bought from Carmax and unfortunately Earnhardt Ford is the closest to my house by far. After this stupid rear end poo poo I guess I'll try San Tan or something.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

I have no experience with the East valley, but good experiences in general at both Sanderson and Jones. Of course both would be a hell of a drive for you.

Oh I'll drive for good work. Most of the professional work I had done to the SRT was done by Larry Miller. 45 loving miles but it was done right the first time. e: Thanks for the tip

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Because dealers are just that dreadful to deal with.
The only reason they still exist is that you can't by law by a car directly from the manufacturer in most states. Mind you, the manufacturers don't seem to care that their dealers are so bad it's hurting their sales...
I would literally rather buy a used car from Craigslist than have to talk to a loving car salesman.

I guess yeah. My experience at Carmax was 20 minutes. I called them to reserve what I found on the website, went to my bank and signed a loan, bank sent a dude for inspection, i went later that afternoon handed them a check and left. loving glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I feel asleep 30 minutes into R1 and never bothered to finish it. Coming from someone that will painfully finish most everything I hit play on too.

Bad.

• Locked thread