Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alan Smithee posted:

so is anyone even still playing the coop survival thing that it started as? Is that even in the game anymore

I literally haven't touched this game and all I hear about is f2p BR so what's going on with the classic fortnite stuff

Yeah Save the World is still in and they've done a lot of good QoL improvements to it. They just haven't done anything for the main plot quest stuff in forever so if you make it to Canny Valley or Twine peaks it's just a quest chain with no narration and has been for months and months. I play a bit almost every day but mainly to do daily quests and the events which have new stuff every couple of weeks.

edit: the worst part about StW is a bunch of BR players coming over and spamming global chat looking to "trade" for guns which is just code for trying to steal stuff. They don't seem to understand that you get everything you need by playing the game and that there's no "SCAR" in StW but keep begging for it for some reason.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What I assumed but it was worth a shot. I tried to call Epic Co. out of desperation but it hangs up on you when you ask for an operator. ~service~

You might want to put your email into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if you got some passwords compromised in a data breach. Also, use a password manager and never use the same password twice, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's surprising how many people in this thread have seemingly forgotten that League of Legends exists.

I tried the beta but it's a bad game like all mobas. Does it not have matchmaking?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Seditiar posted:

Yup, one of the many reasons why I quit and refunded. I almost exclusively pug, and if I didn't pug, I'd team up with people I pugged with often. I easily pugged 1200 maps, and the amount of games I didn't have to carry 2-3 people, are in the double digits. Epic of course keeps posting "We're discussing how we'll address this" for 10 months straight. And people still thank them for posting that for the 998th time. :downs:

I almost always play with pugs and I rarely have trouble. I do almost always get top damage so I sort of feel like I put in more effort during combat, but just having warm bodies doing stuff makes it a lot less miserable than soloing anything. I haven't bothered refunding because I just got the founder's packs and I play enough that I feel they were worthwhile. I'm never spending money on vbucks, I already have too many weapons and heroes that I may never level up. I'm mostly playing to keep my daily quests clear lately, though. Still waiting for Canny Valley to have plot and stuff.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The judge told him to stop buying things for strange children on the internet.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hi Cody! Turn on two factor authentication immediately! Maybe visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and check if your non-unique not-strong password has been leaked via data breach in the past.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wa27 posted:

Yeah my email is on a million breach lists, which is why I made sure my Epic account was a unique password. There's nothing they can do in my account - my PSN isn't even linked to it (and purchases were made through Sony). I guess they can have my free copy of Shadow Complex that I made the account for.

If you ever get tired of it, making new email accounts is free.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bonds0097 posted:

Can you effectively duo STW and not have to deal with pubbies at all?

You can solo save the world if you want, it's just sloooooow and you're going to use a lot of traps and defenders. I don't think duoing will be too bad except for maps where you raise the difficulty or if they're four person maps. Pubbies aren't too bad at higher level, I've run into very few bad pubs in canny valley, maybe one negative interaction per week and I usually do 2-5 missions per evening. I figure the BR folks who hop over to StW for v-bucks and spend all day trying to scam people with "trades" will get bored before they make it that far.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I'm picking up StW again after playing for a few months after early access started. I think I've got a good sense for how mechanics have changed, but as far as gray, green, and blue schematics are concerned, am I correct in thinking I should basically transform or recycle all of them if I have a good selection of purple or better stuff?

I see some utility with lower-tier traps, but I just don't see myself ever using the vast majority of the blue or lower weapon schematics I have.

Yeah, epic and legendary are the only things to really worry about beyond a point. If you're missing a trap then whatever your best version of it will be fine until higher levels. The weekly event store usually has one legendary trap available for 700 daily quest coins and one gun, so you can pick. It's a good way to fill in some gaps. You can also upgrade rarity on schematics now like you can with heroes. It requires flux from the event store so it's not cheap, but it is possible.

As mentioned in the thread earlier it can be worthwhile to use transforms to turn greens into blues and blues into epics (if you have those transforms) because it lets you double dip on the rewards. You gain XP similar to recycling them but also get the resulting item. It does use research points or people resources, however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

StW folks: is there some accepted wisdom about how to use gold?

When they have a hero in the event store I like to see if it's a reskin of another one I already have. If it is (like it's a Pathfinder outlander, for example) I won't consider it a high priority unless I want two (for bonus slotting) or I like the skin. I try to buy weapons as they go through the store if they're unique and look fun. I watch a lot of A1Getdismoney's videos where he tries out heroes and weapons because he plays a ton and levels them up so you can get a good idea. Other than that, Flux is a good buy to get stuff from rare to epic or epic to legendary, especially now that you can upgrade schematics as well as heroes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah this is almost as bad as halloween for dumb quests breaking things and collecting things. I hope they do less of this kind of thing in the future. They sent me a survey a week or so back and I said that tedious events are less fun and more progress on the actual core game progression would be more fun.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Orvin posted:

If I am only playing Save the World, what should I spend the premium currency on? Should I buy piņatas whenever I can, or should I be saving it up for some reason?

Spend it on the super llamas to get the best chance of high end stuff, mostly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vivisectvnv posted:

any goons playing h1z1 on ps4?

Nope.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You don't see Elemental_Ray's breaking of the first ramp but he's running around with his pickaxe out after all those kills so he probably just hit them. The pickaxe lets you harvest resources and break stuff. You can also shoot things to damage them but that probably would've gotten more attention.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm hype for plot in Canny Valley and I'm glad they could redirect one sack of money from their money bin to Ashly Burch to voice Ray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW7X-mU_FOY

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

queeb posted:

just out of boredom i started playing the pve mode and.. its actually kinda fun? no idea what im doing or anything but its definitely neat.

Save the world is pretty neat. The main downsides are the long grind and the children who seem to have migrated over from BR and want to trade nonstop. Someone also gave them microphones.

I'm a grumpy old man who wants to shoot zombies.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Coolness Averted posted:

it's the resource grind that primarily gets to me. if they just made it so you got like 10x mats from harvesting (ok maybe double to triple for normal classes then 10x for outlanders) it'd be much better.
So much of save the world has weird f2p gating systems that weren't fully hashed out before the next group of folks working on the game added another set without removing or interfacing with the barriers and systems the previous devs added to try and get players to keep playing for an hour or two every day but not too much.
All in a game that no one would probably actually play (or sink cash into) if it was f2p

I found resource gathering to be way less annoying since they increased stack sizes. Most mats stack to 200 and wood/stone/metal seem to be like (1 + your progression) * 1000 which is way better than it used to be. I can build a huge base and just get a little low on some stuff.

Also they buffed anti-material charge recently, so outlanders are good if you have to farm to build back up on resources because you were working on stormshield defense building or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3sHWYNkKzY

The f2p currency stuff is dumb but it seems to be geared so that even if you don't play a ton you'll get legendary items from every event, and there's always events going.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

goferchan posted:

Not quite sure I get the "loop" in STW though. I have a bunch of schematics and i'm missing the mats to craft anything cool, is there a way to just spawn in the world and run around farming stuff or is my only option doing missions? when i do those it automatically drops me in a party with randos and then I feel kind of rude if i ignore the objective and just go harvest stuff. Is that just part of the game or what lol?

You can always start a private game and farm in it if you're really low on materials, check the menu in the upper right for the setting to switch from public to friends-only or private. Most of the games with pubs there's time to farm some before getting the objective started, depending on the map type. The only time I really run low on materials is if I've been prepping my storm shield for the next storm shield defense. Industrial, city, and suburbs maps will have the most nuts and bolts and gears and metal for crafting, although there's a selection of stuff available in every map type.

The fastest maps for getting some dailies done are build the radar grid, rescue the survivors, and destroy the encampments. Except for the latter you can usually move around the map farming as you go in those. Other maps with building and base defense pubbies will usually screw around farming for 10 minutes or so then build a base. Sometimes someone will get impatient and start stuff early but there's not much to be done about that other than try to complete it successfully.

You should also learn what the mining cave areas look like and stop by them as you travel through the map. In Stonewood they'll have Copper veins, as well as coal, crytals, rough ore, etc. As you get to the higher zones they have the crafting materials for the next level up of weapons. Don't evolve your weapon schematics to the next tier until you're able to get the materials to craft them since it can suck to have a favorite weapon/best weapon get locked out for a few levels because you raised its level too much.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nullsmack posted:

Is there a way to effectively farm the lower level rough ore? I need so much for several of my traps and even one of my guns requires a bit to craft but I never have very much. I have hundreds of each of the higher level ores, up to the green one. But the one that looks like a jar of honey eludes me.

Most of the rocks in Stonewood will have it. If you're in Plankerton or Canny you'll need to go back to Stonewood to farm it up. Alternatively level up your traps and they'll begin to use the next level of material after they evolve.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's three birthday cakes on every map. Save the World supremacy!

I finally got to Twine Peaks just in time for a bunch of 50-somethings to make it there, too. It seems your progression to Twine Peaks from Canny Valley is linked to your Canny SSDs, which are available one after another as side quests now. I don't know if the new Canny quest chain is required to unlock them (since they're shown as Side Quest) but since they seem to get you to Launch the Rocket instead of any other quest chain the bar to entry is very low. In Canny in the last month there's been a lot more leechers who are mostly goddamn idiots who want to harvest resources so they can trade for "good guns." So, I'm at Twine Peaks at homebase level 80 and I've arrived at the same time of 40 and 50 level idiots who will ruin missions there.

It's kind of amazing that they all want good guns but they just seem to collect them and trade them, despite guns being consumables made for doing missions that anyone with the schematic can infinitely produce. StW has gotten super weird since so many BR players jumped over. The new reporting feature lets you report people for ignoring objectives but I doubt they'll ban 80% of the playerbase for pissing off the other 20%.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I run into a surprising number of folks hot-micing in save the world. I don't know why push to talk isn't always the default in everything forever, but it's kind of amazing. Fortunately in StW you only have to mute up to 3 other people per match.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sometimes I jump over smashers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Being horny is being "thirsty" now so these teens are really into mustelids. I hope that clears it up for you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cluncho McChunk posted:

My take on the thirst or not debate is that I'll thirst if I'm not in immediate danger of anything else. This stops them being able to report my position as others have said but also means I'll have their loot to fight their friend(s).

On the debate about 'thirst' being appropriate terminology I'd like to invite you to stop being so god drat old and not judge people for the language they use when it doesn't cause anyone any harm.
It's just amusing because it sounds stupid as hell. That said, dook on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIA1NyYz0w

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The new riot shield husks are pretty neat. Was less annoying that the big shielders but still something to play around. Also you can shoot them through the view slot in the shield (or just ignore the shield and use a neon sniper or obliterator to kill them directly).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maybe someone will make a new game mode where you build forts around objectives and husks try to get at the objectives, so you stop them with traps and guns. Probably won't catch on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sword overpowered in gun game? Maybe it is the players who are bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Can't revert the patch and go back to testing if you have no testing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CmdrRiker posted:

Another serious question, does anyone play STW? Most of the conversations in here are BR.

I've been playing for over a year but I mostly just hop on to do a couple of dailies before bed now. The game's fun but maybe a bit easy even at 100 and I'm getting a little tired of the constant events and new weapons to get every week. Even though Frostnite is a departure from the norm I don't really like it because it and the other events that don't let you use your stockpile of cool schematics that you play to amass seem kind of backwards. I'm slowly working on the latest part of the Canny Valley plot but having to constantly play Ghost Town maps is annoying. I didn't get the pin by beating the boss guy before the end of the year because of the effort.

That said I can't hate on the game too much because I keep logging in. I still enjoy headshotting things through walls/the ground/everything with my maxed out Neon Sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Elendil004 posted:

Sweet, is the big giant pvp discord the best place it seemed...crowded :) Some random guy invited me to his stormshield and took me up into a box and had me stand in one side and was like "SHOW ME YOUR ITEMS" and wanted me to drop them and it felt like i was going to get murdered in a video game so I left.

It seems like BR has attracted a bunch of children who hop into StW for v-bucks, and they all have an addiction to trading items in game. It doesn't make any sense since you can craft whatever you need and are never behind if you're upgrading your schematics, however they seem to be convinced they need fully upgraded legendary items from way higher item levels so that they can queue into games way above their level (Epic has mostly stopped this by making it only work for private games). They don't seem to realize that the FORT stats and their hero's level are the important thing. Anyway, you should just do missions and avoid shrieking kids who want to trade as much as possible.