Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Played this a while back and dropped it, picked it up again yesterday and had a blast, even managed to win a game somehow, so I've got that going for me. Need to learn to build more though, I very rarely build anything except to access stuff or a ramp to get some height over an enemy.

Regarding the battle pass, is it worth buying one if you're starting playing mid-season, or should you hold out until the next season starts? When even did the current season start and when does it end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I'm having loads of fun with Fortnite but I wish there was a training map or something you could go on and really learn to build. It's such an important skill in the game and watching the way some streamers build so quickly to gain height and defences it's crucial for lategame fights and I just can't practice it unless I waste ages farming mats to practice building in some far-off corner of the map and hope that no one else drops nearby to harass me.

EDIT: Also I'm mildly steamed that after hours of dropping Tilted trying to get a trap elimination yesterday I finally did...after I was dead. I was even still spectating but apparently that doesn't count to the challenge. It's the last challenge I have outstanding damnit.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 9, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Was it the same person who killed you? I got my trap elimination when the dude who killed me immediately (within 15 seconds) ran in to get my loot and died to my trap while I watched.

No, someone else he was fighting in a street in Tilted ran into the building looking for cover.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

Why did they put Lucky Landing where it is, it never gets any traffic and it's such a cool place visually. Slam that meteor into Tilted already god drat it

I love Lucky Landing, if it makes sense with the bus route I'll try to land there. It's an easy place to gather through and clean out with plenty of time left for a fight or two or get to a far away first circle.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Holy poo poo replays, yesssss. Every competitive game should have a replay feature.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

el B posted:

Yeah it's pretty crazy how quickly it's being absorbed by the public at large. Is it a "house hold" name yet? In the sense of call of duty, or mine craft?

I mean, it's been blamed for kids shooting schools already hasn't it? That's Call of Duty status imo. :c00lbert:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

My pro jump strat is to try and have my glider pop about a map square from where I want to land which usually gives me time to scope out a convenient air-visible chest location like the doghouse in Pleasant or the little shrine on the hill in Lucky before I have to take a gamble on a roof maybe or maybe not having a chest. Every chest has a weapon and if you've got one from a good spot in the first two seconds you're on the ground you're gonna be in a good spot for the early fights. Unless you get a really unfortunate random weapon like any sniper or the grenade launcher that you just can't use in that early close quarters fighting.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 19, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

They un-broke peeking! :toot:

Yessss goddamnit it was so annoying having an apparently clear cursor and hitting my own building, especially as it gave targets extra time to react.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

:perfect:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Ill be saf when the meteors destroy lucky landinh.

Lucky Landing is my hometown and I'll fight any meteors that look at it funny

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hardawn posted:

Why don't people like the cornucopia that is tilted?

Personally I don't dislike it but I try to avoid landing there unless I'm just looking for a huge fight. The main thing it has going against it is the verticality. You have climb four floors to try and find the person stomping around in the same building as you and then you can easily get sniped from another building or something so it's easy to have unsatisfying fights there, and so many people tend to drop there that it's hard to get a good idea of when you're safe.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

santanotreal posted:

Anytime they have even a minor update, it corrupts all replays. They’re hoping to fix so it only corrupts every two weeks during larger updates.

This honestly drives me crazy. I thought initially that the rename-and-save would make it future-proof but apparently not. If you ever want to make a highlight, gif or video of a replay better do it immediately because in two days it'll be unusable.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Did they change hitboxes with the Season 4 patch? Since then I've been gettin shotgun headshot oneshot a lot more where before it very rarely happened to me. Feels like either a lot of very good players have suddenly started playing or aimbotters have turned up. I know that's likely not what happened but there was a serious run of like 10 games the other day where I was just getting blown away first shot in every fight even when I was ready for them and the one making the first move.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, limb penetration around head does not result in body shot damage anymore, to summarise roughly. Patch notes have more details.

Oh man, I was hoping I was just having a bad run and getting salty about it. Reading the patch notes I guess hands and arms were blocking headshots earlier during shotgun duels sometimes and that no longer happens which is fine, but the line about shots from below doing headshot damage when landing very near the head doesn't sound good to me, just sounds like it's making it easier for more people to one shot kill someone.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I never played PUBG because it looked 200% like an early access survival game with janky animations and stuff that weren't the endearing kind of jank. I played Fortnite because when it first released because 1. it was free and 2. it got wild reports of being actually good despite being something the Fortnite folks cranked out in a weekend to poke fun at PUBG or something so I figured I'd see what the hubbub was. I didn't play tons of it then but they've consistently improved on it and added stuff and this latest update is just huge. It's obvious the developers care about a quality product whereas PUBG's developers are over there charging for their game that's still janky as gently caress while they're trying to sue people for making other Battle Royale games and citing their generic rear end frying pan and red bull ripoff drink as iconic elements of their game.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Pops Mgee posted:

Is there a trick to infinity gauntlet? I either get wrecked immediately upon landing or eaten by the storm coming too fast. Have tryed hanging out in the air too and always get beat to the gauntlet.

I'd say don't try and get the first gauntlet. Try and land nearby and keep an eye on it but let the other 20 people trying to land on the gauntlet whittle him down a bit for you then try to finish off Thanos when he's nearby on low health and grab the gauntlet yourself.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I loving love the shopping carts. In solo they're meh unless you need a speed boost but in squads we found one in Pleasant and took it all the way to Anarchy before we encountered another squad using a cart and had awesome fights.

I'm impressed that basically everything they add to the game is just more fun. My only outstanding gripes are that the jetpack needs to not take the gun slot in a chest and instead take the healing/utility/grenade slot and also that the jetpack upwards speed needs to be nerfed but hey, we'll see what happens.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

So it looks like double pumping is back.

Double pumping was back before, I've been doing it for weeks. With this I'll be swapping back to single pump plus heavy/tac shotty. :shrug:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Tei posted:

I have not played the BR part of the game in a week or so. Busy traveling around and stuff.

I guess if you are fan of soccer is a cool thing? I am a nerd and the only soccer fans I see are the ones that stab each other in the streets or put cars on fire because their team lost.

I *remember* playing videogame soccer games in the 80's. I think a lot of people that only play 1 videogame they play a sport game. So it make sense to link sports with your game to try to attract that public. Overwatch also did it.

It seems to be a cynical thing executives ask developers do to try to increase the userbase to people that would not normally play your game.

What question are you asking or point are you making here other than that you're obviously better than those soccer fans?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Tei posted:

Soccer is a cool thing and Epic is adding soccer fields to the BR map. Somebody was asking a opinion about that. Many people that play videogames only play a sport game, like FIFA. It makes sense for Epic to try to get these people on Fortnite. Kind of like what Nintendo did with the Wii. Wen rappers, actors and politicians openly play your game, you can try to change the demographics of gaming itself.

Kay. I dunno why that necessitated the mention of people stabbing each other and setting cars on fire but that's cool.

I like the new stadium, it's an interesting change. In the games we played yesterday LoudMaus and I landed there a few times and had some real good fights. The general lack of materials coupled with lots of places to get out of sight make it a bit unique to fight in and hopefully it'll pull some folks from the nearby hotspot of Pleasant Park to spread people out a bit more.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just as I was getting used to dropping on the crater just outside Fatal Fields, they went and changed it up. Used to be up to 3 chests right around the crater on the ground, now they are spawning in the dump trucks and take more time. They also moved the pop rocks from there :(

I'll admit the moving hop rocks and chests at crater locations is a little annoying when it comes to choosing where you're gonna drop, but I appreciate the small changes to the map each full patch, keeps it fresh and interesting.

lol

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

prom candy posted:

This was me when I started, so I'll tell you what the thread told me: drop at the first named location that the bus flies near. Practice dropping quickly and landing. Get a gun ASAP and get into fights ASAP. If you drop somewhere with houses chests are usually in the attic and the floor guns are usually good too. A grey shotgun or SMG is enough to win early game fights. You need to get to a point where you're actually comfortable taking fights before you can drop further away and try to slow play it. Otherwise all you're doing is collecting loot and bringing it to the first person who finds and kills you.

This is good advice and is what I did when I first started. Building is a complicated and often unintuitive skill to learn if you want to do more than drop a ramp in front of you but if you learn to fight and win in early fights where houses are cover and no one has a lot of mats you can build(hah!) your building skills as time goes on while still having fun and actually playing the game.

Also make sure you map your weapons and building parts to easily accessible hotkeys. Scrolling and swapping is far too slow to properly react in time.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

MF_James posted:

It's not PTW in BR mode, so you are correct.

Uhh excuse me, my bright pink skin I paid for makes lots more people see and shoot at me and reveal their location so I can destroy them with my highly-tuned expert plays and furthermore *falls off a cliff and dies in the final fight*

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

monkeu posted:

All hitboxes are the same

Yeah all hitboxes are the size of the big head skins as far as I can tell.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

el B posted:

50v50 is the best big team battle. Five teams of 20 is ok... Final Fight is reaaaly bad. Fight to the death! Not whoever has the most numbers after the timer :(

That's kinda the point of Final Fight though. It stops one guy or a squad from just boxing up and hiding at the end and dragging the game out pointlessly. Instead they can either fight and maybe win or they can hide and definitely lose. I like it as a change, no one really enjoyed the hunt for the last guy .

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hahaha rip, welcome back to the 50v50 mode. Did they fix the horrendous teleporting lag?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah "Oh it's easy, just leave the ps4 on idling in the game" really speaks to it being out of whack.
Since they want to guarantee people play consistently more things like the blockbuster challenge is the answer. Something is very wrong if you earn more xp idling than I earn in a day where I got a Victory Royale because I only played 3 games.

I'd agree with this. No one should feel a need to idle in a game, if you tie it to challenges then you keep people doing something at least. Something like a separate challenge XP bar to unlock the costume parts but with a list of challenges that never runs out so people can always pick an objective would be fun to me. I like having some vague direction in what I'm doing even if it's just a nudge.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

interpunct posted:

Servers are still down but the update downloaded.

Hell yeah, gimme Bluebeard McNoShirt already

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

AAB posted:

gently caress these are so good and gonna be a hell of a grind (into next season).

also, Karts own. Get a squad who has a lot of emotes and just roadtrip around the map tapping on people with ARs or doing hilarious drive bys. If you're a decent driver and alright at positioning, the only thing that should really get in your way is teammates building in the kart :argh:

I really hope they're gonna let you pick and choose the armour pieces you use this time but I doubt it. I'd really like to be Skullhead McNoShirt but I somehow doubt that's gonna be an option.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

What someone said earlier about being aggressive early on and into the midgame then conservative when you're up to the final fights is probably the best way to do it. Early aggression(caveat, you should be landing somewhere with decent amounts of loot, always) rewards you by giving you the most amount of loot which is a huge advantage to any subsequent immediate engagements. Midgame aggression rewards you because these people have also already looted a bunch and farmed a bunch so you're funneling all that to yourself. Endgame you can be reasonably sure people are good and you're better off letting them kill eachother and trying to find more advantage for yourself. Unless you've been very unlucky your kit will be good and resources plentiful so kills will give you marginal upgrades at best, especially compared to waiting for a fight to finish then attacking the wounded victor before they have a chance to finish healing.

Obviously this should be tempered by saying that enemies with a huge advantage over you in either position or kit may be worth avoiding, but anyone arguing that you should spend all or most of the time avoiding fights is just plain wrong. In my experience winning is about building a great kit for yourself then finding all the advantages you can and exploiting them, and advantages come in the shape of different weapons, better terrain, more materials, more ammo, etc. You'll find fewer advantages to exploit by avoiding high traffic and high loot areas and by being unwilling to create them for yourself.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

My take on the thirst or not debate is that I'll thirst if I'm not in immediate danger of anything else. This stops them being able to report my position as others have said but also means I'll have their loot to fight their friend(s).

On the debate about 'thirst' being appropriate terminology I'd like to invite you to stop being so god drat old and not judge people for the language they use when it doesn't cause anyone any harm.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Glider redeploy in regular games is gonna be such a huge change to now, but I guess with the floating island flying round the map they've gotten a sample of how this will look in regular modes already, but it will significantly change the way people play. I'm interested to see how it turns out but I don't think I'll like it if it leads to people building huge unassailable towers they can just abandon and reposition risk-free when you try to take them down. That sounds like a lovely meta

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Yeah, the cube monsters being basically everywhere is pretty great honestly. I watched Loeya playing a bit earlier on yesterday when they were disabled and it was toxic as hell having the glider redeploy but no cube monsters to stop people just spraying from skyboxes over and over. I'm not sure how I feel about the last circles being essentially overlapping zones of cube monsters though, makes those final fights even more of a pain in the rear end to track what's going on.

My feature suggestion is for them to recolour the damage notifications on cube monsters so you can tell when you're pinging the player being swarmed that you're ambushing.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

objectively bad posted:

Early & mid game the zombies are fine. They reduce loot & shield rng since you can just spend a minute shooting zombies if you get some bad dice rolls which is good but late game it's just excessive and annoying. They could turn the spawn rate down to 20% at the last or second to last static circle and it'd be a huge improvement. I'm not sure how I feel about glider redeploy, one hand it removes the RNG from mobility which is good and on the other it means skybases and a lot of third partying.

Oh yeah that reminds me another thing I don't like re: the loot rng being reduced: in squads yesterday every drat squad had at least two rocket launchers in it when you get to the late game. They need to tune the rate that drops from the zombies/cubes.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Mongoose posted:

Double posting for Patch Notes - https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v6-21

- Balloons added, hop into playground and test them
- Vaulted semi-auto sniper, dual pistols, guided missile (again)
- Explodes do 25% damage through walls and the environment (got drat like they really needed the buff)
- lots of audio balancing for gliders and monsters

Also seems like a lot of save the world changes, but I don't really know about that.

Oh poo poo, explosions doing 25% damage through walls is huge. That's 20 dmg per quad launcher hit and like 35 per regular rocket, means you actually have to move or fight the person slinging rockets not just building to defend yourself in a 1x1 box. Makes clingers a much bigger problem too as they'll go off in quick succession for a lot of damage if the defender doesn't move.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

objectively bad posted:

They've said the data from their week long glider redeployment experiment means it's staying permanently.

Not the result I was hoping for but I'm prepared to give them a chance to see how it plays out properly. Part of why I like it with Fortnitemares is that eventually there will be so many zombies that they'll be breaking all the structures in the later circles, so it's not easy to camp in an outrageously tall building.

At least it means I'll get more use out of my compulsive farming as now I can build offensively tall towers without worrying.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I'm honestly a bit baffled by some of the changes Epic has made recently. The turret is intensely powerful, especially early game. I've had someone find one first thing in Risky and throw it down then gun down everyone else because it does so much damage and has unlimited ammo to shoot through your poo poo and any environmental cover you are also forced to cower behind. Unless you get lucky and get a sniper weapon first thing, and also get lucky and don't get shot while shooting them you have no response to it. I suggested to a friend that they could make it so turrets are only available from supply drops and vending machines so they become mid-late game only items but they would still be incredibly powerful. I expect this to be vaulted pretty quickly, or possibly limited to large-team battles where it's fun because it's a strategic objective to try and take and hold a turret for your team.

The change to pickaxe damage vs players also baffles me. It's made it so if you land on a roof with someone then you're better off hitting them with the axe because if you try to break through and get a gun they'll have hit you for 40-60 damage before you've picked it up, and they'll have a chance to go for the gun after weakening you as well. It just feels like the only smart choice is to try and axe the other person but that's not fun, and leads to one person surviving with 20 health unless you've managed to dodge axe hits.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

yeah sure I get that, I'm talking about the people that sit and build their giant forts like its minecraft and don't actually play the game

Eh, if you're trying to win then you gotta know what your advantages are. Maybe that guy had a sniper rifle and lots of mats so felt no need to move until the game forced him to do so. Why take a risk you don't have to if you're playing to win and not just get in fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

codo27 posted:

Felt like I must have been killed by an obvious hacker last night, shots seemed to be coming from nowhere. It was a Streamer[xxx]. Couldn't spectate after I died, and I couldn't report either. Whats up with that?

Could you see anything in the replay? Maybe you can report from there.