Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Same :geno: A24 has a nearly flawless track record, but this doesn't look up to their standards. It looks instantly forgettable, which is usually the last thing I'd expect to say about an A24 movie.

Upgrade, on the other hand...:getin:

I can't wait until it comes out, it looks like a more competent Hardcore Henry.

Here's a question referencing the OP, shithead musciians during the trailer process. How bad are they? I'm curious since I play music (as a side thing) and know people trying, vainly, to make a living off it. Getting your music on TV and movies seems like a godsend. You don't end up making that much money? How bad do they get with assheadedness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It must be a real good sign that I can't go long without rewatching that Rampage trailer.

That Franco trailer link is dead btw

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Figured this because of Li Bing Bing casting

Was she in Pacific Rim 2? I liked that actress there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In that movie there's Rinko Kikuchi from Japan. She was in the first one but gets killed early on here. She's great tho.

And then a newer chinese actress named Jing Tian.

I meant the newer chinese actress.

She was good. I feel bad for confusing her with the woman in Meg.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah the idea of wanting to be less comfortable when you watch movies is actively loving insane to me

There's no surcharge for it here, there's no weird separations or anything destroying the theater experience, it's literally just a loving normal theater except the seats are nicer

Like if you want to rag on a theater for loving with the theater experience, Alamo Drafthouse type places are way, way guiltier than theaters with goddamn recliner seats, and I saw loving Belladonna of Sadness at a Drafthouse so the idea that those kinds of places are for mushbrain babies is laughable regardless of their actual issues

Um...have you been to India my man? Something something marvel.

I think the Deadpool trailer is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20bpjtCbCz0

It'll be hilarious if this was the only action set piece in the movie again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I went to an Alamo Drafthouse in Houston (or maybe it was Katy...somewhere around Houston, at least) in December because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I guess from various things I'd heard, I had it built up in my head as the ultimate theater experience. But honestly it wasn't anything special. It didn't have reclining seats, there didn't seem to be anything notable about the screen over other theaters, their system for ordering food was loving archaic, etc. I wasn't impressed at all. I've been to at least a handful of theaters not named Alamo Drafthouse that impressed me way more.

Alamo is kinda mediocre compared to other theaters doing reserved seating and the like. They might have started the trend, I dunno.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard Gangster Squad was good. (Haven't seen it even though I like gangster movies.)

It completely botched a great premise. The original article and book it's based on is loving killer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's increased demand for Asian-Americans in Hollywood in the past few years. Awkwafina is Asian-American and a semi-recognizable name (and one of like a single-digit number of actors/actresses who fit those categories and are also young-ish), so she's getting a lot more work. it's pretty much that simple. :shrug:

She's funny in Neighbors 2. Which is a pretty funny movie altogether.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a shame, because I think both of them (Walk the Line and Ray) have really good performances from their respective leads. Maybe I'm just susceptible to that maudlin stuff, though.

One of my favourite pieces of movie trivia is that Gary Busey was nominated for an Oscar for playing Buddy Holly in a biopic.

The only good recent biopic that does justice to its subject and is still interesting is Get On Up

e: ^^^ lol didn't see your post. I dunno, the music parts were aces and that's 80% of it for me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

That Brian Wilson biopic from a couple years ago was pretty good. The only weird thing was that I can buy Paul Dano as Brian Wilson or John Cusack as Brian Wilson, but it's weird with both in the same movie.

That dissonance worked for I'm Not There

the problem with that movie tho I just wanted to stick with Cate Blanchett's version of the character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

White Boy Rick looks greeeeat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I laughed a bunch of times during the teaser, it's gonna be great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leave No Trace got a rave review in the New Yorker. Supposed to be real good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I wish I were as optimistic as y'all. I got "Cloud Atlas meets Upstream Color" from that.

Those movies have style.

Legion did the whole insane house/conspiracy with a lot more flair.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Green Book trailer really hit me, mahershala ali is a wonder.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's no kiss on the rose.

Also it's just a bad song, poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm not saying he's bad or anything. I thought The Nice Guys was...nice. He wrote some really fun movies.
It's just that yeah someone else probably will be around to make a super quippy movie at some point soon.
(also I'd like to demand my money for Iron Man 3 back but that's probably 40% my fault for seeing a comic book movie/Iron Man movie in theaters anyway)

ugh, "quippy" has breached the comic book thread limits.

Do you think His Girl Friday counts as a quippy film.

e:

Lobok posted:

It's been done.

The One is a seriously under-rated movie, and Jet Li's best film other than his scenes in the fourth Lethal Weapon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Check out Hitman (US title: Contract Killer), Dr. Wai in 'The Scripture of No Words', My Father is a Hero (The Enforcer), Bodyguard from Beijing (The Defender), and Unleashed (Danny the Dog). The One is a really solid film though.

thx for the watching list. saw Danny, good movie. got a bit schmaltzy. Primo Hoskins material tho.

e:

zandert33 posted:

Are we just talking about English language movies?

ofc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

The trailer for Vox Lux looks fantastic:

https://youtu.be/scnK-wzWhGE

I refuse to believe Sofia Coppola wasn’t involved in this

According to this interview, the director wanted to talk about why mass murders and celebrity follies are both on the front page. Also Sia does the songs. Sounds good to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhfa81m5wQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of great trailers, youtube automatically just played a scene of BOY ERASED while I was watching some music videos, and gently caress it got me good. More movies should do the entire scene as a trailer thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO6mUNk-OX8

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

They gave it away in the trailer along with releasing the casting. However, if you’re not familiar with Captain Marvel then it probably didn’t register.

It registered if you've seen a trailer before. Th he famou is actor that is allied with the hero but is antagonistic towards her?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

The best scene from Statham in Spy was when he was explaining how he took an outrageous amount of ilicit drugs in order to break up a drug ring.

It was Bill Brasky levels of absurd.

Couldn't find the drug scene but managed to find this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAaKs3M1ZOY

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfInGEdTz18

lol

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 2, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That trailer made me laugh and interested, so yeah I'm hella interested in the new Tarantino.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with the thread after a few weeks away and that beat maker movie set in Chicago with Anthony Anderson looks amazing to me.

Hustle and Flow, 8 Mile, Patti Cakes, why is it that rappers trying to make it movies are so much better than their equivalent rockstar movies?

Focusing on one character? The blue collar/lower class struggle? Seeing the characters actually make the music? Skipping the boring rockstar cliches? My fav rappers still vent about their problems, maybe thats just a better source for this stuff.

And speaking of rappers, that Awkwinna trailer actually made me tear up. Never thought Id say that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd put Almost Famous and Purple Rain up there with those movies. This Is Spinal Tap and Walk Hard as well, if we're counting comedies. Though I do think you identify some advantages that rapper-focused movies can have.

All good movies. Tho Id say that parodies is kinda cheating, like I cant think of any rapper coming up parodies that are any good.

Almost Famous is interesting because it is from the outside view of the kid journalist. Sort of like how Velvet Goldmine works based on the outside view of its main protaganist.

Once you take the sincerity out of rap it crumbles. But maybe rock has more space for that kinda angle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress I hope that movies comes to NYC STAT

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

found this article from 2016

quote:

Maybe it was the time he hurled a script at the Warner Bros. production president, frustrated by the studio’s notes.

It might have been the interview in which he upset “Syriana” collaborators Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney by breaking an edit-room code of silence and revealing he’d ceded post-production control to them on his 2005 movie. ‎

Or it could have been when he entertained shady Albanian financiers because he’d run out of film-financing options.

For the one-time screenwriting wunderkind Stephen Gaghan – he won an Oscar for “Traffic” in the year of his first feature credit — there have been so many colorful stops on the Hollywood road even he has lost count. Few personalities in the modern era have clashed with the entertainment power structure so epically, or stuck to their guns so obdurately.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d=1571164694603

Get this man another 300MM stat!

e: lol

“It was my wife who said to me, ‘Steve, this is so personal. Here’s a lunatic who couldn’t get the result he wanted and so just did it over and over until he could,’” Gaghan said. “And she’s right. That is me — ‘Oh, there’s a wall, I’ll bang my head against it, oh there’s a wall, let me bang my head against it.’”

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 15, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loooooooooool

:siren: :siren:

The sun was intensifying above Gaghan’s deck. The director is an unlikely picture of domestic repose these days.. His is a house where a volume of “My Struggle” sits next to a child’s sink kick-stand.

:siren: :siren:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

Are we talking My Struggle by the Norwegian dude? Or, uh, the Austrian one?

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gaghan is also responsible for the stories for Call of Duty: Ghosts, and The Division

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rootin for the Gen X movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The action seems lacking

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

For the last time this is the something awful forums, no movie is better than mediocre unless it is John Wick or The Raid II.

Raid II...uh...doesn't hold up as much as the first viewing.

Like the other plots are great and all but the only person you care about it is the guy from Raid I, and he is significantly sidelined for large portions of the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Was Dr. Quinn a good show? I remember being bored by it as a kid but thinking it looked well-made.

pretty sure they did the thing where a white guy coopts Native American culture to look mysterious.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

One of those people who is also both undeniably, impressively dedicated to his craft, and also seemingly one of the most insufferable jackasses I hope to never interact with

A friend of mine interacted with him when he was doing that live video protest thing in Queens. Says he was a nice but quiet guy. Shy. Which is pretty lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Two perfectly cut trailers which feel like perfect microdoses of their films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwAWZtK5Uw

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml2Ae2SIXac

e: Also, not a great film per se, but the trailer is just so well cut I've watched it more times than I care to admit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eOLOmCjRPY

Jesse James isnt on any of the streaming services. Ive been wanting to see that movie for years

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

This looks so fantastic that I'm going to order the book it's based on.

Also, a teaser for Zola (the movie based off a 148-part Twitter thread):

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1291388616451686404

lol i remember reading the original thread and thinking it would make a great seedy little crime movie. Hope it doesnt suck

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Cameo posted:

I’m actually discovering he did that movie just now.

Seriously. I never saw it, but some trailers played when I would watch YouTube through any of the eight devices without Adblock everyone has available to them nowadays. Man, that looked about as generic as the Jack Ryan movie he did.

I wouldn't call it completely generic

https://twitter.com/HgMorbi/status/1272239072971382785

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol this is the best version of this kinda thing since they put Put 5 On it on US.

e: McG's kid said they were molested by him iirc.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i spotted at least 2 women that look to be sacrificed to give Bond some stakes in a 2 minute trailer.