Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Why exactly did they recast all the Dragon Tattoo characters? Because it worked so well for the Terminator series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

morestuff posted:

Because they'd have to pay Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara

Hollywood just keeps sticking it to Claire Foy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i would enjoy greatly if more superhero movies went away from handsome men basically playing themselves as superheroes (see: RDJ, Chris Pratt, The Chris Collective) and more into good actors acting their loving asses off (see: Tom Hardy, James McAvoy)

RDJ might just be playing himself but he's also acting his rear end off (at least in the movies in which he's the front and center star).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

You know Disney used to be really good about making everyone care about their old and new movies both. When I was a child I certainly didn't care that Alice in Wonderland was from the loving 50s. I don't know that a remake of it would have excited me back then but impossible to tell I guess.

It's funny that when Disney first started digging up the corpses of their old properties, they at least tried to do something different with them. Burton's Alice was a sequel of sorts and Maleficent was a retelling. Then they realized that they didn't need to put in so much work.

Remember when Jon Favreau made a movie about not wanting to be a soulless sellout, and then followed it up with Jungle Book and Lion King remakes and a Star Wars show?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kliras posted:

he still had to do that accent though

Disney apologized by letting him do that accent.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was Kilmer a reshoot addition? I don't remember him being involved.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's good to see that Mortensen is back after getting lost in the Oscar Bait woods.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 15, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Fallout is probably the best entry but Ghost Protocol should be the series' representative in the Hall of Fame for being the movie that "fixed" the franchise.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In 5 she’s MI6 who got caught in Syndicate bullshit. In 6 she’s sent to kill Lane and gets caught in Ethan bullshit.

She was deep cover and her boss threatened to sell her out when she stood up for herself. Then Ethan framed him for attacking the Prime Minister.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
PSH's "I'm going to hurt her" monologue is M:I-III's version of climbing the Burj Khalifa.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Looks very generic, especially in a world where MI exists.

That said the cast is stacked as hell and I'll watch anything with Ryan Gosling so... I'll watch it.

It looks like Captain America: Winter Soldier, or Marvel hat-and-glasses movies in general.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Russos' best show is Happy Endings.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

A largely talented cast (sorry to Dave but he was kinda mediocre) with amazing chemistry, the bloc with that and Don’t Trust the B was never gonna last but I loved it while it did

For a leading-man type, he partook in some really outlandish behavior.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I’m pretty sure I can do a decent feature for 20 grand. Why is this poo poo so expensive

Ryan Gosling probably got buy-your-own-island money.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Was the bear holding a weapon? Or was that not a rule yet?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Subs over dubs every time

I used to think this. Then I watched The Summit of the Gods. A French movie set in Japan. There is a degree of separation where who cares.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The new Bullet Train trailer feels very spoilery. Maybe don't watch it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I saw it pop up and was going to post it here but it really does give a poo poo load away. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole movie and very end scenes was spoiled in it.

Definitely seems like they show things from the last two minutes or so of the movie. And that cameo probably would've been a nice surprise in the theater. Which makes me think the movie sucks? Why else would they have to ruin their own movie like that?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Why don't they make the Predator movie we really want where they hunt down billionaire capitalists?

A Predator movie where we root for the sport hunter? How does that work?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ammanas posted:

i mean the dudes in the original are a bunch of stupid murderous assholes effectively waging illegal wars for the cia, slaughtering leftist guerillas

But at no point are you supposed to root for the Predator. Does the billionaire win at the end?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Why not? Why can’t we root for the predator.

Next predator movie make it the drat hero.

Because they're sport hunters. Sport hunting is bad.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You could absolutely do a movie where the Predators are the good guys, just not one that involves the kind that do the sport hunting.

Predator vs The Thing. Now there's a movie that isn't some boring "how about a movie where the aliens kill people I don't like, no I'm not a reactionary I promise" poo poo.

Isn't that basically AvP?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Talk about Predator vs Dredd just makes me sad that the Dredd vs Judge Death sequel that Alex Garland wanted to make will never happen.

Which is weird? Garland's become a name-above-the-title director and Urban's stock is up with The Boys. Surely Garland could find the money for it if he tried.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5PW5r3pEOg

There's a lot going on in this trailer. And it's a prequel to X, which just came out this year?

Is this whole thing just a big spoiler for X?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

That's not an AK-47, it's a clone of one and it's called AAK-47

not to be confused with Bigger AK-47

It's an AK-47 but it's pronounced Ak-47.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This is the most interesting looking Star Wars thing since Rogue One.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Haven’t seen the movie but in the 127 hours book he definitely spills some ink calling himself an idiot for not having left word of where he would be. For him I think it’s just that he was out doing backcountry poo poo like every weekend so he just slowly got in the habit of treating it casually.

The very last line of 127 Hours is something like "He always tells people where he is going now."

Vintersorg posted:

You should all check out Free Solo. I caught a bit of it at the Touring Banff Mountain Film Fest and it’s amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

The Alpinist is better.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looks like they slapped The Addams Family on the standard TV YA formula.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Do the Addams kill regular people? The bad guys in the 90s movies died but violence against others was played off like a joke. We even see the rich girl in Values again after Wednesday apparently sets her on fire.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That has to be the worst use of a reworked old song in a movie trailer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Ambulance was just an exercise to see how many drone shots Michael Bay could fit in a single film

Michael Bay using a drone camera should've been a lot better. Hopefully this was like a test run for his next movie because as is Fleishman Is In Trouble has made better use of drone cameras.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Where's Mutt??

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P15S6ND8kbQ

I'm a real wet blanket when it comes to modern comedies but this definitely made me laugh.

Lawrence being in this is very bizarre.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

teagone posted:

This reference came to mind for me first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NMH78ex0E&t=34s

but then I remembered he only gets stabbed in the shoulders/arm lmao.

https://youtu.be/38oVRUznNGQ

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Pratt seems like the epitome of the internet bubble. He's the lead in three very popular franchises and people online are shocked about it because he's churchy and left his wife.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People get too bogged down by Anderson's visual style. He's a great writer who writes great scripts.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

Correction: he wrote great scripts with Owen Wilson. Since they stopped collaborating the scripts have been merely good

I don't believe Owen Wilson wrote Moonrise Kingdom or Grand Budapest.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That last one was poo poo mostly because of the writing

Still won't ever reach a low like Darjeeling Limited tho. Worst film hes ever made. No need to watch that weird clunky corny white people bullshit. Bottle Rocket is better anyway.

He's been on a cold streak but French Dispatch still had some interesting things to say about expatriate life. Isle of Dogs was not good though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

I can admit I'm wrong because apparently whatever he's doing is still attracting talent (and on a repeated basis), but as other people have stated before and after this post, he seems to just flatten all of his characters in a way that I feel like would be boring for actors.

Seems like being in an Anderson movie is like taking an acting workshop where you have to do a specific exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

Not one person mentioned his best movie, Fantastic Mr. Fox

Feels like you can draw a line between Anderson's career at Fantastic Mr. Fox. Everything after has felt a lot whackier and frankly better.