Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I love Pulse even though I paid more than $10 for the BR when I bought it. My friend got a kick out of the early '00s video streaming scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I've wanted a release of The Face of Another for a long time. (Has there already been one and is it out of print?) Criterion has it on streaming, but I'd really like it in my collection.

Edit: yep, out of print. Hope it comes back. I would also like Mr Arkadin, which is also out of print.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I am amused that the booklet for the Arrow 4K of The Warriors consistently misspells Van Cortlandt Park.

e: I also only ever saw the theatrical cut and am glad that was the case. I might watch the alternative one to see the cool graphics. AFAIK Walter Hill said that while he does not disapprove of the alternative cut, he would not call it his "true intention" for the film, just one that was reflected in early notes.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 24, 2023

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

The Battles movies have been on a lot of streaming services if you'd like to see them before buying the box set. I'm a big fan and also like the second trilogy and Cops vs Thugs

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccneE_gkSAs

I think these were the disks that were sensitive to oxygen. Wild stuff.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

This would be very fun, though I'm afraid the discourse around fan edits is a bit toxic because the goal of so many is to "fix" a film.

I think it doesn't have to get toxic as long as everyone keeps in mind that it's one possible "spin" on the story. One fan edit I'd like to see is Wild at Heart with some of the deleted scenes, though not necessarily all of them (some just drag); I've heard that some earlier screenings included a little of that material. Some characters that barely appeared in the final film had much more dialogue (some of which is from the novel).

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I am continually amazed that DVD still exists and outsells later formats.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DVDs are dirt cheap, lend themselves toward impulse purchases better than Blu (outside this thread, anyway), are regularly stocked in basically every big box store and most groceries, most people have or have had a dvd player because they were so cheap and plentiful for so long, and a not-insignificant portion of the public (mostly old folks) has no problem watching non-HD stuff.

DVD as a format will outlive Blu and 4K, I’d be willing to put money on it.

Yeah I think it comes down to the fact that "everyone" had a DVD player before streaming was the norm but not that many people bought or buy BR players. One of my friends genuinely thought BR was a passing fad from 10 years ago.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Big Mac posted:

The DVD looks fine, mostly. Hell, I watch plenty of DVDs that almost always look... fine.

I have been impressed some of the time by the quality, I've heard it said that DVDs downscaled from a high-quality scan tend to be better. Maybe it's the player's upscaling that's doing a good job. On the other hand, I've also had awful DVDs that are cropped and made from a bad scan to begin with.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

I prefer the cases to be opaque.

I wonder what the special effects in Escape from LA would look like in 4K...

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Oh boy I have at least a few of those.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

It's a shame, many of those titles (e.g., some of the classic noirs) aren't otherwise available on physical media.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

pwn posted:

Observe and Report was a great film

It's a very enjoyable character study, shame it's been largely eclipsed by the Paul Blart movies.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

But yeah I honestly started buying movies again because of the enshitification of streaming services. The fact this video is all 100% factual at the time of making is insane

Filmstruck going down is what made me start buying physical media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

It reminded me a lot of Straw Dogs (not surprising, I think Hill has stated his appreciation for Peckinpah and was in frequent correspondence with him).