Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

I know someone who goes to Best Buy/chain stores and just buys whatever new movies are out regardless of what they are. And of course none of those are boutique label stuff. It's all just the mediocre kind of crap you'd see in the front display at Best Buy. In fcat he has awful taste in movies and calls me a hipster because I "don't like stuff that's popular".

Long live the best buy $4.99 and $5.99 bins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

I saw the Shout Factory release of Mad Max in the 5.99 bin a few days ago.

Yeah I wasn't being lovely, full earnesty - I check that poo poo out every time they refresh a couple three times to make sure i get it all. There's a lot of quality content in there.

A lot of garbage too but a lot of quality content.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Anyone rip their BDs to disk and have a legit plex setup with no piracy or is it just me?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

IUG posted:

I do it with Kodi and DVDs now. I rip them as ISO files,and get the menus and everything. A more recent version of Kodi added bluray support, but I haven't tried it yet (I'm concentrating on ripping my 800+ CD collection first).

Yeah, that's what I'm doing but with blu-ray focus, since I never really had a DVD library I decided to start with Blu's and have stuck to it. (Not even 4k, just regular blu rays) - Then digitizing them and adding to my "personal cloud" came later.

Save them to MKV from MakeMKV and don't touch them further - no transcoding, just the raw dump onto my NAS.

it takes a big NAS. I'm already running out of room on a 8x 8TB synology - Afraid of having to expand but the SHSC packrat NAS thread keeps current with deals on disks so I'm hopeful to get some 12 or 14 TB WD drives on the cheap soon to help expand.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do the digital codes that come with most blu-rays actually expire or is that just a cover-your-rear end warning thing? Think I have a few of them stashed away somewhere but they all said they might be expired by like 2017 and I never bothered to check if they did.

Most all of mine are expired. I hold onto the slips in case there’s ever a lawsuit over the poo poo (price fixing or something due to the “value” of those useless codes?)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
The very name "Criterion" implies a *Criteria* in play for the titles they release, so it's not unusual to expect that their catalogue is typically well vetted films of some level of significance.

Of course you can't please everyone, though. Glad to have them out there doing what they do, but I'll never be one of those "Gotta collect every criterion disc" people either.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give me more goofy “low-brow” genre stuff in the Criterion Collection, if I’m being totally honest. I don’t care about Criterion as a standard of excellence for the movies themselves, I view the label as an assurance that the total package will be done with a certain level of care and attention to detail. There’s a lot of “lesser” films that aren’t art house darlings, that could really use a release that isn’t just some barebones Mill Creek offering.

This 100%

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I have no unopened discs because every one gets opened and ripped to my NAS for my movie server, then stored never to be opened again in plastic bins in my closet.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
It's so funny how people like to own things instead of pay for limited and terminable license to them.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I hope they never stop releasing in 1080p blu-ray

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Kinda tangential, but anyone got any recommendations as to a good external USB Blu-ray drive?

Not sure this is still in production due to no prime logo but https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XD07S-Slim-Portable-Burner/dp/B07ZQS3KDV is the one that ive been using for easily over 500 bluray rips so far

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Egbert Souse posted:

I had one of those and it eventually died on me. Replaced it with this one from LG, which I've gotten a lot of use out of, especially since I've turned my old MacBook Pro into a "desktop" computer.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-BP50NB40-...tronics&sr=1-10

The one I have doesn't write Blu-ray discs, but it was this price, so it's an upgrade.

Nice, I'll prolly snag one for when this Pioneer drive eventually kicks it. it's so far the longest lasting drive i've used tho, i had some that would fart out after only 100 rips. thinking about it, this has prolly 600-800 on it so far - a real champ

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Doctor Teeth posted:

Speaking of Shout, they have their own twitch channel that's always on. I watched it a year or so ago when they were showing some old super sentai series to see what they were like.

I have no idea if it's region locked.

https://www.twitch.tv/shoutfactorytv

i honestly don't think we region lock anything on the site, maybe only the Thursday Night Football or w/e weird one-off stuff

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
drat that's pretty new sucks

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Do you think the chalk will work on the scoreboard by my dart board? the chalk i have kinda skids across the surface and doesn't really leave a mark its too hard

I'm hoping for soft chalk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

feedmyleg posted:

uh that will destroy the retail value you moron you absolute idiot

fuckin fine

here

*tears a very neat square out of slip cover and folds into a small chalk tray*

see? better now? it's got a tray.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

GrandpaPants posted:

For the people who (correctly) put things in alphabetical order, do you include "The" if it's the first word of the movie?

The only movie in my collection sorted with "The" is The good, the bad and the ugly.

I don't know why that ended up being an exception, i should probably fix it.

(Same for the physical copies for each of these of course, just showing digital for convenience)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Island Nation posted:

So T3 isn't canon then? Not that it matters too much

Whatcha mean? I guess the latter ones after the first don't have "The" in the title but it keeps them lined up right in order file-wise, i never care too too much about the filenames as much as the sort order.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

The Cameo posted:

It’s because you’re missing a whole Terminator movie

Just funny, is all. Like you simply don’t recognize Rise of the Machines as a movie, which is perfectly fair because man that movie ages like a dead skunk

oh oh yeah i'm missing a couple of them, I misread your statement got it now.

I'll eventually fill them in i got a few gaps going up and down some series but i usually wait to find fills from the discount bin for poo poo i dont care about so much yeah lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Island Nation posted:

There are six Terminator films when you numbered five. Since the pic had Salvation, Genesys & Dark Fate listed then either the original, Judgment Day or Rise of the Machines were missing. Since no movie buff would lop off any of the Cameron films, T3 it is.

In the end though, you have a great film collection and I'm a big loser so feel free to ignore anything I say.

ya ya.. I misunderstood up above, and then clarified - i am missing rise of the machines and need to back fill that when i find it for cheap, but i'm not in a rush lol, this collection is a work in process since 2009 or so and i've still got holes here and there for series that i'd like to fill, but alas..

e: as of today, 1,643 titles in the collection, of which 1,616 are Blu-Ray and the remainder DVD.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 24, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Hedrigall posted:

I have 634 movies in my collection, not counting some boxsets and individual titles that are on their way to me still. If today I could order every movie I know I want, it would probably get up to 800. Then I’d be adding maybe 15-20 new releases each year into the future. Plus old movies I watch for the first time and decide to buy. gently caress I need more shelves 😰

hell yeah

my story is pretty much that i never bought vhs and dvds were coming out when i was a late teen and i never bought them either, netflix mail order dvds were the game and i didn't think much of it, until netflix went digital on-line and I started using that service.

well, i had a date set up with someone and we were gonna watch some 80s flick major title that i saw on there the night before, can't recall if it was BTTF or ghostbusters or some other top distribution title - i don't really remember because when we sat down they had loving pulled it and it hosed up the whole vibe of the night.

about this time, the HDDVD and Blu-Ray format war was right about in the middle-end and i decided that was the time that i'd actually start collecting media, and i'd build my own library that i could trust to be there. it was just discs on shelf units for a while until a few years back now i built a NAS and ripped everything, which i still do today and is my primary storage/consumption is off a 96TB Synology NAS to an Intel NUC to run plex/transcode and main player is an Apple TV 4K. The discs just go into vinyl carry bags off amazon into the depths of a closet now, but there's a matching disc for every title on the server and none pirate. (Not against piracy tbqh, just this is different to me)

so that's how i got into collecting physical media lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Wake_N_Bake posted:

What do you guys do with all these digital codes?

Like the slip covers, into the paper shredder ---

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TheScott2K posted:

I only buy movies from Walmart if Deadpool is on the cover

Thus you have 17,372 movies

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

feedmyleg posted:

That's not as fun. Every time someone comes over to my house they have to update 5 new staff picks.

RFID every title and have the staff picks shelf have rfid sensors that populate the top of a plex now playing list

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Space_Butler posted:

Happy for blu-ray.com to be back up so I can once again experience such hard whiplash from 4k announcement listings like this.

I'm not sure how much more Hi-Def I can handle for this one.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Basebf555 posted:

Just want to confess to a new personal low today. I bought a UHD and there were no copies on the shelf that has slipcovers, but the standard blu rays DID have slip covers so I took one off a regular blu ray and put it on the UHD.

did it have a cut out for the UPC-A code or did you pay the blu-ray price lol :cop:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Criterion is doing 30% off for the rest of the month.

gently caress

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Boinks posted:

The website is exactly what I thought it would be.
http://www.videostation.net/index.html

oh god, the jingle...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I really want the Japanese Columbo Bluray box

Where to get?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Alamy draft house - the tickets are free but there's diagonal screener watermarks thru the whole thing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

there went a buck fiddy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
These aren't the cheapest solution but they aren't that much more overall than the plastic tubs and I like them a LOT more

https://www.amazon.com/Fasmov-Storage-Bags-Hold-DVDs/dp/B071VTXZRR

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

dorium posted:

There's an HD version of The Abyss up on Amazon VOD rn. Not sure about the quality, but its HD!

Is it possible to order physical copy prints of stuff off Amazon's VOD?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i love giving best buy money for blu rays. I hope hope hope hope hope they don't shut that poo poo down.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
in the future, forensic investigators will tie my movie collection to SA Forums because of the correlation of titles to mentions of titles in this thread

"ok but if you see, tammy and the t-rex, plus mystery men, plus...... it's definitely a link"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Origami Dali posted:

Yeesh. I remember early days blu ray had some bugs but that was ironed out pretty well by year two. UHD still seems fickle over five years from launch.

Amazing, I had no idea. Just like, the laser/transport parts are lovely or the software?

I've not heard anything about this before but I also haven't got a UHD player yet either.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Remember Realplayer?

do we even have a video codec today that would work decently enough under 56k?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
does the title bar on the arrow site go to the middle of the page blocking the content for anyone else?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I should really get started watching some of my hitchcocks

Granted, all regular blu's not 4K, but I have yet to start on the 4K thing

(Yes its all physical I just keep the 1:1 rips in plex library for organization/ease of viewing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Third time is the charm? (my reply kept going into some other criterion thread, not here! edit: looks like it finally worked)

Huh. Just checked mine, all discs where they belonged but with the lightest of brushing touch, the discs slip around and under like this

That doesn't seem good lol