Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Just panic bought both Brain Candy and that Brady Bunch double feature based on this post because I'm tired of paying high prices for OOP discs I slept on when they originally came out. I hate that I payed the amount I did for the Scream Factory editions of the Poltergeist sequels.

That's what happened to me with that new Ghostbusters box set. I first learned of it from Phelous's YouTube review, immediately went to see if I could buy it, it's all sold out everywhere. The UK one is still in stock, but it's both more expensive and is missing half the stuff, and Sony have said "that's it, we're only doing one run!". Their amazing marketing meant I didn't hear about it until they sold out, and I think even some pre-orders failed to ship.

Better order Brain Candy right now, just in case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

I will never stop buying movies.

In the later 2000s, when I was single and lived alone my standard Saturday night was to head to Asda, go to their custom pizza section and order a pizza for dinner, then while they were assembling it, head over to the DVD/Bluray section, where they had a chart of new releases where everything was like £7, I'd pick a movie, go back and get my pizza, pay and return home. Once the pizza was done in the oven I'd sit and watch my new movie while eating my pizza.

I kind of miss it, but I'm in the US now with a family, and the prices are kind of higher (though I can still find reasonable prices used if I head down to Rasputin's). Now I just have to buy older movies on Amazon for like $7 (my favourite is when the Blu-ray is cheaper than the DVD, both of which are cheaper than the online rental).

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

https://networkonair.com/coming-soon/3482-fortean-tv-the-complete-series

Instant preorder for me!

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

like i get it, the industry kinda sucks in many ways, but also, chill out bud...directors are so insecure, christ

this being for terrorvision probably means low budget horror too..maybe consider a new audience as a benefit before you go full dbag :negative:

This was over Terrorvision? I'd have bought that, I love that movie. That's a shame :(

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Ahh, that makes more sense and also is less disappointing.

Still, not great that directors are so weirdly thirsty about attention being given to their movies.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

I do generally if it's a movie I really like. I do have many disks where that is a feature and I haven't, but I probably will one day.

Funnily enough though, my favourite commentary track is on the Timelife "The Real Ghostbusters" box set. It's an actual video commentary, you see the people talking in it talking head-style with the episode inset, and the J. Michael Straczynski ones in particular are really interesting. He really cared about that show, including writing an episode that explained events directly after the end of the movie which obviously was broadcast out of order because networks.

He also is really angry about the consultants who the network got in to "fix" the popular show, who just made racist and sexist stuff up like "children find Janine's NY accent and pointy glasses too scary" and "Winston should be the driver", as well as "you need to have some children for viewers to relate to, we have invented The Junior Ghostbusters" and he really explains in detail exactly why the show started off great and just got worse and worse over time, mostly due to the incoherent "MORE SLIMER" screaming from the network/consultants.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I assume that either the discs won't be reliable by then, or there won't be a player on the market anymore to buy, and/or new formats will have come in that will have make my collection mostly obsolete. I've been enjoying my blu ray collection for about 10 years now, and I expect to get another 10 years or so out of them but anything more than that will be icing on the cake in my mind.

Not being too fussy about actual specific format (DVD vs Blu-ray vs UHD) I'd expect the actual disks to last a long time unless they're exposed to the elements - my oldest DVD is from 1999, embarrassingly it's "Wild Wild West" starring Will Smith, and it still works fine, along with all the others I got around then. They're made like vinyl, e.g. very cheaply pressed with a metal master versus the more expensive duplication required for cassettes, so the only way to really destroy the data is to smash them. Of course, it's still a pain if you lose the silver surface - my dad once started marking all his property with a UV ink pen, just writing his name and address. He got through like half his CD collection writing his details on the disks before he got to Paul Simon's Graceland, and the ink from the pen just completely dissolved all the silver coating. Apparently on that specific disk, it was prone to the solvent in the pen.

You're right about the drives though, we should be hoarding those.

I got intense FOMO for the Criterion sale and bought A Hard Day's Night, Being John Malkovich, Tootsie and Local Hero. Should have probably got Solaris too but it's too late now. I had it and a bunch more in my basket but didn't want to cross a line and removed them and now I have remorse.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

It had one good scene, in the woods with the robotic-like running. There was some other reasonable bits and bobs but overall it was kind of slow (slow enough that when I initially started watching it with a friend, about half an hour in he announced it was so bad he would no longer watch any more).

I don't hate it, but I feel like they could have done a lot more with it.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Creature posted:

I was under the impression that Blackadder was recorded to videotape. How good can a upscaled version be, compared to the existing dvd sets?

Since it was recorded in PAL, if you're in the US an HD release might be better than what you saw in a US broadcast or DVD release, since PAL has 100 extra vertical lines (afforded by the lower field rate). It does make a difference, having ripped all my DVDs for Jellyfin, the PAL ones do look sharper. I've also seen tricks to deinterlace old TV format by jumping to a faster progressive framerate (like actual 50fps), and updating each frame with half the field from the interlaced signal, making for quite smooth output.

Basically even if it's tape I'd expect some effort to make it look nice in HD.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Sure, Tank Girl and Masters of the Universe aren't great movies (though Tank Girl does have the bonus of at least being somewhat interesting aesthetically), but the dreck being released means sometimes my dreck gets a cool release, like Super Mario Bros. 1993. And if Final Fantasy Advent Children can get a 4K UHD, so can Tekken Blood Vengeance, surely!

I'm glad you mentioned that Super Mario Bros. 1993 was out, I was just looking for that a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything physical to buy!

Also will definitely be grabbing The Faculty and Tank Girl, and probably Lost in Space.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I also love Evolution, though I wouldn't rank it above Ghostbusters 2. It definitely is a kind of honorary Ghostbusters though, and ranks above any of the others.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm down to less than 50 feature films still stuck on DVD, with the bulk of my remaining collection being short subjects and television. Even those feature films have been steadily decreasing - I think I've been able to consistently take off at least ten a year for the last few years.

I haven't made any particular effort to upgrade my DVDs, even for films I love, as though they're not HD, they're not terrible, either. However, most of my DVDs were PAL, which is 576i, almost 100 lines more than NTSC.

Though the worst DVD I own is a copy of Lifeforce I thankfully paid $2 for from a used record store, already being NTSC it was only 480i but also being letterboxed (they included the black bars right in the video stream). From measuring the actual visible area, there ended up being 261 lines of vertical resolution, almost half of a PAL DVD, and it sure looks like I'm watching a 2008 era YouTube video when I play it (every other DVD I have did native widescreen or was 4:3).

What I miss was the cheapness of all movies (Blurays as much as DVDs) in Asda in Scotland. Of a Saturday night I'd go to the deli section and order a custom pizza, then while they were assembling that, wanter over to the movie section and see what major movie was in the charts on Bluray for £7. From what I've seen the US went for more of a "this is for collectors" aspect where the UK just tried to make them all impulse purchases.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I actually bought a few of those head cases from that same local used media store. Only one of them had that flyer still in it.

I actually don't mind them, as they're close enough to the right shape to fit on a DVD shelf with normal stuff. Looking at you, Jennifer's Body Blu-ray 3D slip cover.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Sniep posted:

Oh, Ok.

I guess they're just not shiping these in quantity to fulfill orders? Did they pull them back? Maybe cuz of the AI stuff?

Mine turned up from Amazon on the 13th, but that was after a solid week of e-mails from them with "updated delivery" dates.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Homeybeef posted:

I bought that Super Mario Bros set and it just delivered yesterday. It is hilariously large, about half the size of the Scream Factory Friday the 13th set. I'm not even sure where to put it. It feels like a disservice to simply put it on my shelf between Sunshine and Suspiria.

Did you get a shipping notification? I've heard nothing since my initial order in January, though I did also chuck a few things in there since it's coming from Australia and maybe that's holding it up.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I don't have anything as fancy as "an account on blu-ray.com" but I can tell you my Jellyfin server only has 527 movies on it, along with 74 TV shows, which I am trying to correct. It is a mix of DVD, Blu-ray and UHD though, and it also doesn't count the ~10 disks that sadly wouldn't rip (including a couple of 4Ks with no decryption keys), and at least 10 TV shows I haven't transcoded yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

It's weird that some movies are only (readily) available via double feature packs. Tried to find Identity for a while and only just now found it in a two-pack with Vacancy, which is not a bad movie, but not what I wanted

When I wanted to grab a blu-ray of Terrorvision the only option (at least at the time) was a double feature with The Video Dead. I'd never heard of that but needs must, and since I'd bought it anyway I gave it a watch and it was fine, so I guess if they bundle movies I want with movies I might like that's kind of okay.