Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

”Weyant, bard of Eastgate” posted:

Many hundreds of years ago, the forces of good allied to destroy the main Temple of Orcus in the ancient city of Tsar. With their temple in ruins, the surviving high priests of this accursed demon god fled the city with an army of enemies on their trail—an army of heroic fighters, clerics and paladins—led by Zelkor, a powerful wizard. The exact fate of these evil priests was then unknown, for not only did the remnants of the followers of Orcus disappear from all human reckoning, but so did the army of light that followed after them disappear as well. Some said that in the eternal scales the loss of so many good men was a fair price to pay to rid the world of so much evil.

The evil cult, however, had not been destroyed. The surviving priests and their followers instead settled on a hill near the Forest of Hope, a sylvan woodland near the Coast Road. There they found a vast underground complex of caverns and mazes, carving out a volcanic intrusion beneath the hill. There, the priests of Orcus found the perfect lair to continue their vile rituals. For many years, they carried on in secret, hidden from the light and from the knowledge of men.

Many years later, their underground delving completed, the evil priests erected a hideous mausoleum and a sunken graveyard atop the hill. It is believed that these graves are in fact the final resting place of the pursuing army of heroes that had been destroyed to a man. Soon after the mausoleum was erected the peaceful creatures of the wood began to disappear. Though many rangers and druids investigated these happenings, the cause of the creatures’ disappearance was not immediately determined. Some years later a powerful group of adventurers, led by Bofred, a high priest of Thyr, investigated the evil happenings and found the sunken graveyard leading to a labyrinthine complex. Bofred and his companions found great hordes of evil creatures in the complex. Though some of his companions returned from their expedition, telling tales of fantastic treasure and ferocious monsters, Bofred was never seen again—lost in the catacombs beneath the cursed mausoleum.

For the last one hundred years, ranks of adventurers have ventured to the newfound dungeon. Many fell prey to bandits and monsters in the surrounding wilderness. Rumors suggest that of those who survived to reach the mausoleum and sunken graveyard, most were slain by guardians of green stone or perished on the very first level. Those rare few who return from deeper treks speak of horrible undead and creatures that cannot be slain. All who have explored Rappan Athuk offer this one universal piece of advice: “Don’t go down the Well.”

We’re delving into the Frog God Games megadungeon Rappan Athuk, the dungeon of graves, as well as the fairly deadly wilderness surrounding it, the Forest of Hope. We’ll be using the Swords & Wizardry Complete with a few house rules. Play will primarily be play-by-post, though there will be a Discord channel available for rolling and general chat.

This is a deadly dungeon. I’ll be modifying some of the dumb OSR poo poo, so minimal prostitutes and misogyny, but the deadliness will be just as it’s written. Characters will die. I’m not an adversarial GM, however. I’ll be using Fail Forward and will try to be flexible and encouraging towards whatever shenanigans your characters get up to. I’ll take into account your characters abilities and attributes when giving you descriptions and information about areas in the dungeon. Don’t be afraid to try things.

I am going to mix in a bit of a West Marches feel to this, as it’s a huge dungeon (and enormous wilderness area around the dungeon), so this thread serves two purposes: recruitment and party formation. Post your character, organize parties, and chat about things your characters have found in the various dungeon complexes. Think of this as the common room at Bristleback’s, the inn at Zelkor’s Ferry that explorers of the area often use as a starting base. (More information about Zelkor’s Ferry and Rappan Athuk can be found in the Player’s Guide.)

Once we get to 4 or more characters, parties can start to form--feel free to organize these yourselves. Pick a snappy name for your adventuring company. Once a party forms, I’ll make an adventure thread for the group and you’re off. You can come back to this thread to recruit more members should someone die or drop out, if you want to pass along information you might have learned during a trip, or if you want to try and join a completely different party altogether.

There may be multiple parties going; there are certainly enough adventure locations in the region to support at least 2 or 3 simultaneous groups. You may create multiple characters and adventure with them; try to keep character knowledge separate if you do this. This is a sandbox-y adventure, outside of the dungeons, anyway, so you’ve got a lot of freedom in what you want to do.

I am in the Eastern time zone. I’m typically online and available from 9-5pm, and after 9pm for random amounts of time. Ping me in Discord if you need my attention.

I expect players to post daily to keep things moving along; not posting for about three days without explanation will “retire” that character per your wishes; the rest of the party will continue. I’m very willing to run this long-term, and if other people want to collaborate on GMing, I’m open to that, too.

House Rules
  • Attributes are point buy: 65 points for humans, 60 for demi-humans, 1 point in an attribute costs 1 point. 3 and 18 are minimum and maximum, respectively. Stats start at 0.
  • Demi-humans have no class or level restrictions. Ignore any racial restrictions listed for classes.
  • Dual- and multi-classing is available to all characters, regardless of race.
  • Multi-class characters may have up to three classes in any combination; all other multi-classing rules are as given in the book. Class combinations with conflicting alignment restrictions are not allowed. Spell casting in magic armor is allowed for all races, not just elves and half-elves.
  • Hit points are maximum at 1st level for all classes. Multi-classes still average the max and round up.
  • To keep things simple, everyone gets some starting equipment:
    code:
    Backpack
    Bedroll
    Tinderbox (with flint & steel)
    Rations, Dried (1 week)
    Waterskin
    3 torches
    Leather Armor
    Dagger or Hatchet
    Weapon of choice (missile weapons come with 20 missiles)
    2d6 gold pieces

Choose four:
    50' Rope
    Grapnel
    5 Iron Spikes & a Small Hammer
    10' pole
    Upgrade from Torches to Lantern & 3 pints of oil
    Second weapon or upgrade armor to ring
    Shield

Magic-users get a free spellbook, clerics get a free wooden holy symbol, and thieves get thieves tools.
    Fighters, paladins, and rangers can upgrade armor to chain rather than ring if desired.

If you absolutely must buy all of your own equipment because ~reasons~, hit me up in the Discord.

• We’re using ascending AC (see Table 34 for your base to-hit bonus, it’s on p44).
  • Characters reduced to zero or less hit points will bleed 1 hp/round until they reach negative equal to their level before dying.
  • Magic-users roll for knowledge of all spells in a level when they become capable of casting that level. Finding another source for the spell (ie, a scroll) will allow a re-roll for that spell.
  • Magic-users can cast spells directly from their spellbook as a ritual. The spell takes 1 turn (that's 10 minutes) per 2 levels to cast, and must be uninterrupted.
  • Some clerical spells (e.g., healing spells) may also be cast as a ritual (1 turn/2 levels); doing so allows the caster to choose the die roll rather than determining it randomly.
  • Magic items can be ID'd by casting detect magic as a ritual and examining the item.

Characters should be posted in this thread with the following:
  • Picture
  • Name
  • Character sheet (either the fillable PDF below or a nicely formatted text block, doesn’t matter as long as it’s clear)
  • Any background you wish to include
  • Whether you’d like the rumors you know to be public or private
  • Prefer the character to be retired or killed if you cease to play

Rules: Swords & Wizardry Complete (PDF or SRD)
Discord: here
Character Sheets:
PDF
Text:
code:
Class & Levels:
Race:
Alignment:
Experience Points:
XP Bonus:
Hit Dice:
Hit Points:
Armor Class:
Base Hit Bonus:

Saving Throw:

Abilities
STR:
INT:
WIS:
DEX:
CON:
CHA:

Languages

Appearance

Gear

(Total xx lbs for base move x)

Wealth
gp
sp
cp

Story

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Available Characters

Active Parties
The Nameless Nine
  • Meredith Hawking (Human Fighter 1)
  • Kark of Uzbackistein (Goblin Cleric 1)
  • Cricket (Human Monk 1)
  • Jerol Cairnwalker (Human Ranger 1)
  • Odrot Warjaw (Dwarf Ranger 1)
  • Ash Watcher (Human Fighter 1/Magic-User 1)

Red Right Hand
  • Kithe Lutenec (Human Druid 1)
  • Blaxton Knibbs (Human Fighter 1)
  • Thistle Girdwood (Human Druid 1)
  • Ronelon Nornole (Gnome Thief 1)
  • Taine (Halfling Fighter 1)

Deceased Characters
  • Elonron Figglewort (Gnome Magic-User 1)
  • Bastian (Half-Elf Ranger 1)

Missing in Action
  • Aelf the Eldest (Elf Assassin 1)
  • Benedict Mero (Human Paladin 1)

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 1, 2018

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'll get something up here later.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cricket

The man known as Cricket was abandoned as a young child, left on the steps of a monastery to be raised by the mysterious monks. The child was raised by the monks, trained in their ways and given the name, or rather diminutive descriptor of Cricket by his old master. In time he had learned all that the masters could teach him, or would be willing to teach him at the monastery. Instead it was time for him to go out in the world, to travel, to see, to experience, and to hone his body and mind through actually doing. For only so much can be taught at the monastery and for true advancement he would need to experience the real world.

code:
Class & Levels: Monk 1
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful
Experience Points:  0
XP Bonus:  15%
Hit Dice: 1d4
Hit Points:  5
Armor Class:  11
Base Hit Bonus:  5

Saving Throw:  15  (+2 bonus on Saving Throws against being paralyzed or poisoned)

Abilities
STR:  07
INT:  06
WIS:  13
DEX:  13
CON:  13
CHA:  13

Languages
Common

Appearance
Athletic with shoulder length black hair.  White pants, no shirt, with bracers and arm bands in a silvery metal.

Gear
Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
Longsword  10 lbs
Dagger   2 lbs
Longbow (20 arrows) 6 lbs
10' pole
Torches to Lantern & 3 pints of oil
50' Rope
 necklace of protection +1 - +1 to AC and saving throws.

(Total 28.7 lbs for base move 12)

Wealth
7 gp
sp
cp

Story

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 10, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Making a dude because why not

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

chin up everything sucks posted:

Making a dude because why not

That's the spirit!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Are we using the Other Races from the SRD? Because I feel like going max random by rolling a Mongrelfolk. Nothing says "kill me first" like an abomination!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Are we using the Other Races from the SRD? Because I feel like going max random by rolling a Mongrelfolk. Nothing says "kill me first" like an abomination!

Case-by-case, and I'm going to say no because they get stat bonuses and because managing their various appendages' abilities looks like a crapload of work for minimal reward. Sorry.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Right, I'll probably make a Dwarven Fighter/Thief then, because greed and aggression together in a stubborn stocky package can never go wrong.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Right, I'll probably make a Dwarven Fighter/Thief then, because greed and aggression together in a stubborn stocky package can never go wrong.

Sounds great to me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Meredith always wanted to be a famous chef. She dreamed of cooking for the King and Queen someday. Tragically, however, she has no talent whatsoever for cuisine, high-class or otherwise. After one too many collapsed souffles she took her anger out on a side of beef and discovered that what she's really good at is bashing stuff with other stuff.

Oh well.

pre:
Meredith Hawking, 1st-level Human Fighter
Alignment: Neutral
Experience Points: 210 (+5%)

Hit Dice:        1
Hit Points:      9
Armor Class:    15 (+1 with shield)
Base Hit Bonus:  0
Saving Throw:   14

Abilities:
STR: 18
INT:  8
WIS:  4
DEX: 15
CON: 13
CHA:  7

Languages: Common, Elvish

Appearance: Short, buff, angry, and covered in scars and tattoos.

Class Abilities:
Multiple Attacks
Strength Bonuses (+2 to hit, +3 damage)
Parry (-2 to attacks)

Gear:
Bastard Sword (10 lb)
Knife (2 lb)
Shield (10 lb)
Chainmail (50 lb)
Backpack (10 lb)
  Bedroll
  Rations, Dried (1 week)
  Waterskin
  Lantern & 3 pints of oil
  10' Pole
5 gold pieces (0.5 lb)

(Weight: 82.5 / 125 lb for base move 12)

megane fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 8, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oh wow, some of these rules create odd incentives.

There's a blurb that specifically says clerics and fighters are weaker than the other classes. What class is the improved cleric? If it's supposed to be druid, the cleric ends up with more spells per day so that's odd.

Cure Light Wounds is a lvl 2 Druid Spell and a Lvl 1 Cleric Spell.

Fighters are the only class that get bonuses to hit and damage from high stats (strength) which makes putting anything higher than a 7 in strength for anyone else a dubious decision.

The Ranger is the only class that starts with 2 HD!

The Ranger's high HP makes him a natural tank, but not getting the fighter strength bonus means he'll probably actually be a better archer.

The ranger eventually gets both cleric and magic user spells. Does he follow the usual rules for known magic user spells?

You get a 5% bonus to experience for 13+ Wisdom, 13+ Charisma, and 13+ in your primary attributes. Yes that stacks up to a 15% bonus.

Anyone can get a 1 point bonus to AC and ranged attack (not damage) from a 13+ dex.

Bows are the king of weapons with 1d6 damage and 2 attacks a round. As long as your ammo lasts. How does ammunition recovery work? One use or 50% chance of recovery per arrow or...?

Clerics don't start with any spells, lol! Are you using the optional rule to let clerics with 15+ wisdom get an extra 1st level spell?

Since Intelligence doesn't do much for anyone not a magic user, they pay a very heavy stat tax. However they have spells like this:

Swords & Wizardry Complete posted:

Charm Person
Spell Level: Magic-User, 1st Level
Range: 120 feet
Duration: Until dispelled
This spell affects living bipeds of human size or smaller, such as
goblins or dryads. If the spell succeeds (saving throw allowed), the
unfortunate creature falls under the caster’s influence.
The effects are vague, but that looks like a save-or-thrall first level spell that allows even starting wizards to collect humanoids like pokemon thanks to the "Until dispelled" duration. Or it could be a nigh-useless spell depending on how you interpret "under the caster’s influence."

If its the pokemon version I think I know what I'm going to stat up. An animal trainer type wizard sounds hilarious.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

LLSix posted:

Oh wow, some of these rules create odd incentives.

There's a blurb that specifically says clerics and fighters are weaker than the other classes. What class is the improved cleric? If it's supposed to be druid, the cleric ends up with more spells per day so that's odd.

Cure Light Wounds is a lvl 2 Druid Spell and a Lvl 1 Cleric Spell.

Fighters are the only class that get bonuses to hit and damage from high stats (strength) which makes putting anything higher than a 7 in strength for anyone else a dubious decision.

The Ranger is the only class that starts with 2 HD!

The Ranger's high HP makes him a natural tank, but not getting the fighter strength bonus means he'll probably actually be a better archer.

The ranger eventually gets both cleric and magic user spells. Does he follow the usual rules for known magic user spells?

You get a 5% bonus to experience for 13+ Wisdom, 13+ Charisma, and 13+ in your primary attributes. Yes that stacks up to a 15% bonus.

Anyone can get a 1 point bonus to AC and ranged attack (not damage) from a 13+ dex.

Bows are the king of weapons with 1d6 damage and 2 attacks a round. As long as your ammo lasts. How does ammunition recovery work? One use or 50% chance of recovery per arrow or...?

Clerics don't start with any spells, lol! Are you using the optional rule to let clerics with 15+ wisdom get an extra 1st level spell?

Since Intelligence doesn't do much for anyone not a magic user, they pay a very heavy stat tax. However they have spells like this:

The effects are vague, but that looks like a save-or-thrall first level spell that allows even starting wizards to collect humanoids like pokemon thanks to the "Until dispelled" duration. Or it could be a nigh-useless spell depending on how you interpret "under the caster’s influence."

If its the pokemon version I think I know what I'm going to stat up. An animal trainer type wizard sounds hilarious.

There's no improved class for the fighter or cleric, they're just addressing a view that those classes are weak as written.

Dumping Str is probably not a bad thing, but also realize there's encumbrance rules and carrying all that treasure can be problematic if you're not average at least.

Yes, the ranger follows the normal rules for those spells.

Depends somewhat on the circumstances, but yeah, generally a 50% recovery chance for arrows if you're willing to spend some time looking for them.

I'm not going to nix the extra spell at 1st for clerics with 15+ Wis, so we're actually playing that RAW.

It's not Pokemon. It basically makes you the caster's best friend, with all that implies. It's not mind-control; that's suggestion, which is a third level spell.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pre:
Aelf the Eldest, level 1 Elf Assassin 
Experience Points: 0

Hit Dice: 1d6
Hit Points:6
Armor Class: 14
Base Hit Bonus: 0

Saving Throw: 15

Abilities
STR:13
INT:12
WIS:7
DEX:13
CON:9
CHA:6

Languages
Common, Elf

Gear
Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
3 torches
Leather Armor (+2)
Hatchet (1d6)
50' Rope
Grapnel

Long Sword (1d8)
Shield (+1)

Wealth
7 gp
sp
cp

The Eldest of the Five Elven Brothers, Aelf is a talented swordsman and a master of disguise.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 10, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pre:
Name: Kark of Uzbackistein
Class & Levels: Cleric 1
Race: Halfling Goblin
XP Bonus: +15%
Hit Dice: 1
Hit Points: 5
Armor Class: 14
Base Hit Bonus:

Saving Throw: 15

Abilities
STR: 13
INT: 5
WIS: 15
DEX: 9
CON: 5
CHA: 13

Other Abilities:
+2 bonus on Saving Throws against being paralyzed or posioned
+4 bonus on saving throws against magic
+1 bonus when using missile weapons
Turn Undead
Spell Casting

Spells:
Cure Light Wounds Cure Bleeding Gums

Languages
Common

Appearance
Small and green with pointy ears and the most perfect white, shiny and pointy smile you have ever seen.

Gear
Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
Lantern w/ 3 pints of oil
Ring Mail (40lbs)
Dagger
Sling of braided dental floss (1lbs)
Stones, sling (20, 5lb)
Heavy Mace (10lbs)
Wooden Holy Icon Wooden holy floss dispenser
Shield (10lbs)
(Total 76.5 lbs for base move 12)

Wealth
gp 5
sp
cp
(coinage weight - 0.5lbs)
Kark is a follower of Bracer, the elven god of Dentistry. While it is rare for a non-elf to join Bracer's clergy, it isn't unheard of. The only requirement to join is a perfect pearly white smile and a promise to fight the forces of Plac and Gingervita wherever they can be found. Indeed the legendary demons of Plac are feared enemies, who curse those unprotected by Bracer with twisted and rotten teeth, a sight to make any of Bracer's followers shudder.

Each generation (elven generation, not human or goblin), a number of Bracer's clerics are sent out on a mission of exploration and elimination. They are to find the demons of Plac, wherever they may be, and slay them with whatever blessed weapon they have at hand, for only that way may the Curse of Plac be reduced across the world.

Unfortunately, it is time for a new crusade against the demons of Plac, and Kark has been selected as one of the brave adventurers to go forth and uphold Bracers will.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 11, 2018

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

pre:
Name: Odrot Warjaw
Class & Levels: Ranger 1
Race: Dwarf
XP Bonus: 10% (STR 13 and WIS 13)
Hit Dice: 2d8
Hit Points: 16
Armor Class: 15
Base Hit Bonus: +0

Saving Throw: 14 (+4 vs Spells)

Abilities
INT: 13
WIS: 13
DEX: 9
CON: 9
CHA: 3

Other Abilities
+4 on saving throws against any magic.
Experienced with Stonework and identifying traps made out of or using stone
Darkvision 60 ft.
Tracking
Alertness - only 1 in 6 chance party will be surprised by enemies
+1 damage per lvl against Giants/Trolls/Ogres/Orcs/Goblins/Kobolds.

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elvish, Goblin

Appearance: Lean for a dwarf, with red hair and a scowl. Wears a suit of chain mail and carries an odd looking sword and a plain shield.

Gear:
    Backpack Bedroll Tinderbox (with flint & steel) Rations, Dried (1 week) Waterskin 3 torches Chain Armor Hatchet Bastard Sword 50' Rope 5 Iron Spikes & a Small Hammer Shield
(Total 85.4 lbs for base move 12) Wealth gp 4 sp cp
Story: Odrot is a foulmouthed dwarven ranger that has spent most of his life scouting the wilderness surrounding Zelkor's Ferry.

(Retire him if I disappear!)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

code:

Jerol Cairnwalker

Class & Levels: Ranger 1
XP Bonus: +5%
Hit Dice: 2
Hit Points:18
Armor Class: 15 (16 with shield)
Base Hit Bonus: +0 (Melee) +1(Missile)

Saving Throw: 14

Abilities
INT: 10
WIS: 8
DEX: 13
CHA: 8

Languages
Common, Orcish

Appearance
Tall, sturdy build, dark brown hair shoulder length, scar on face from when chance encounter with a bear. 

Gear
Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
3 torches
Chain mail Armor
Hatchet
Longsword
Shield
50' Rope
Grapnel
2d6 gold pieces

(Total 85.2 lbs for base move 12)

Wealth
2 gp
sp
cp

Story
Jerol Cairnwalker is a veteran of the Astex and Chigan war.  The Chigans allowed him to keep his weapons and armor, but he is exiled from his home.  Adventuring is the only life he has left.

(Kill me if I disappear)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

code:
Benedict Mero

Class & Levels: Paladin 1
XP Bonus: 10%
Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points: 9
Armor Class: 16 (chain/shield/+1dex)
Base Hit Bonus: 0

Saving Throw: 12

Abilities
INT: 08
WIS: 03
DEX: 13
CHA: 15

Languages: Lawful, Common

Appearance - Grizzled

Features - 
Lay on Hands 2HP, 1/day
Immune to Disease
Warhorse

Gear

Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
3 torches

Chain Armor
Shield
Dagger
Longsword
Longbow w/20 arrows

(Total >75 lbs for base move 9)

Wealth
0 gp (donated)
0 sp
0 cp
Tossing his last few coins into the collection plate, a humble itinerant knight says a final prayer, makes the proper signs and sighs deeply. His orders were clear: bring the Law to this land, no matter the cost.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Elonron Figglewort

"Ekom nor lensur... err no, it was, Eekom NOR lenSuur... drag-blasted-bottom-toppler! I'll nev-... Oh, oh... HI! I didn't see you there." Elonron said growing more red than the concoction that had begun to hiss and bubble behind him.

"The name's Elonron Figglewort, but you can call me Elon, Ron, Figgle or Wort. Really, anything will fit, just mind where you step, and... Ah, it was Ekkom nOR lENSur!"

Elonron started to make a proper introduction, but was interrupted by shattering glass.

pre:
Class & Levels: Magic-User 1
Race: Gnome (Halfling)
Alignment: Neutrality
Hit Dice: 1d4
Hit Points: 4
Armor Class: [10]

Saving Throw: 15 (+2 against spells)
(+4 against magic)

Abilities
STR: 7
INT: 18
WIS: 13
DEX: 10
CON: 10
CHA: 7

Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Giantish, Goblin [+2]

Appearance: A diminutive, eccentric looking gnome 
in odd-contraptions more than vestments.

Spells:
Protect from Evil

Gear:
Backpack
Elonron's Spellbook
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
3 pints of oil & lantern
10' pole
Dagger 2lbs. 
Sling, 20 stones (+1 to use):
1d4 5lbs.
10 Iron Spikes & a Small Hammer
(Total <75 lbs for base move 12)

Wealth
5 gp
0 sp
0 cp
Gib Elonron in the worst ways if I disappear.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 12, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ash Watcher

The son of a castle guardsman, Ash always dreamed of being a wizard someday and commanding mighty spirits to clean his room. His dad always dreamed of his son following in his footsteps. So Ash wheedled lessons from the court wizard behind his father's back. The day before he was supposed to formally join the Lord Boringstein's guard, Ash ran off with his dad's favorite bow in search of magic.

pre:
Ash Watcher, Fighter 1/Magic User 1
Experience Points: 105/110 (+5%/+10%)

Hit Dice:        1d8/1d4
Hit Points:      6
Armor Class:    11
Base Hit Bonus:  0 / +1 Ranged (dex)
Saving Throw:   14 (+2 to rolls vs spells)

Abilities:
STR: 7
INT: 18
WIS: 4
DEX: 14
CON: 9

Languages: All of them
(18 int is enough to learn all listed languages)

Appearance: Tall, Greasy Hair, Ink-Stained Fingertips, Perfect Teeth

Class Abilities:
Multiple Attacks
Parry (-1 to attacks)
+2 on all saving throw rolls against spells,
    including spells from magic wands and staffs.

Spells/Day 1 - 1st, 0 - 2nd
Sleep x1

Gear:
Bastard Sword (10 lb) 1d8(+1 when two-handed)
Long Bow (5lbs) 2 attacks/round 70' range
Quiverx4 - Arrows 80/80 1d6damage (4lbs)
Skinning Knife (2 lb) 1d4
Backpack (10 lb + 25)
  Ash's Spellbook
  Bedroll
  Rations, Dried (1 week)
  Waterskin
  3 torches
  50' Rope
  Grapnel
  Ring Mail +3 ac when worn
  8 gold pieces (0.8 lb)

(Weight: 71.8 / 75 lb for base move 12)
starting gold: 2d6 9
Chose
Second weapon
50' Rope
Grapnel
Spent 3 gold on extra arrows

Will put on armor after casting all spells for the day.

Retire if I disappear please

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 7, 2018

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

On your journey to the Ferry, and since you've been here, you've heard some tales. True or false? That's for you to discover!

Rumors and Tidbits
Cricket:

quote:

"I tell you, Rappan Athuk was a fortress of good, built to contain some terrible evil. The evil escaped and corrupted and overtook the garrison!"

"I heard from my cousin's sister's barkeep that there's a shrine to some hideous evil deity under the hills off the Coast Road. He said the corridors were a gauntlet of terror and hideous death--he's been to Bard's Gate, so he must know what he's talking about."

"We lost six guards when we tried to approach the old elven manor. 'Twas giants lobbing rocks at us, I tell you!"

Meredith:

quote:

"I once attended a lecture in Eastgate on the dungeon of graves, and the lecturer--a most noble justicar--stated that the dungeon was divided into worked and natural sections. The natural sections are safer than the worked sections, he said, and the upper worked sections were particularly dangerous."

"Deep within Rappan Athuk, there's supposed to be a cave lit by the noonday sun. It's said that the foul creatures in the caves and caverns ahbor this cave as a result."

"The adventurers that discovered that new entrance? I hear they're brigands and tomb robbers, not noble adventurers such as yerself."

Aelf:

quote:

"Be wary of the brigands that operate in the Forest of Hope and the hills surrounding Rappan Athuk. Not all gangs seize caravans--some seek adventurers fat with loot."

"Rappan Athuk? Bah, no one ever gets out of that place alive!"

"I hear that a couple o' levels down under the Mouth o' Doom, there's a miles-long tunnel that connects to Rappan Athuk. That's crazy, right? It'd have to be fifty miles long if it's a day!"

Jerol:

quote:

"There are caverns inhabited by living statues; one-time explorers transformed by evil, they ambush the unsuspecting."

"Rappan Athuk? Nothing but death lurks there, lad, keep away if you value your life."

"The old elf lord up in the manor? I heard he went crazy, something about swords and princes."

Odrot:

quote:

"Mouth of Doom? It's cursed. Anyone who enters it will become weaker and weaker over the course of ten days. Happened to my nephew."

"The temple of Orcus no longer exists within the dungeon. Its existence is a lie told by adventurers to keep others away."

"Prayers to Hecate can sometimes be used to defeat guardians sacred to her."

Elonron:

quote:

"The goblins of the dungeon are actually mutated giants. Although they are small and stunted in appearance, they are incredibly strong."

"Three old crones are said to live along the coast, and for a price of gold and blood, they can let you see into the past and future."

"A powerful illusionist lives near the surface. Do not believe everything you see. He is cannibalistic and possesses great powers."

"The elves have returned to the castle to the west, but I hear they shoot first and ask questions later. I always hated elves."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kithe Lutenec

code:
Class & Levels: Druid 1
Experience Points:
XP Bonus: +15%
Hit Dice: 1
Hit Points: 6
Armor Class: 13

Saving Throw: 15 (+2 vs. fire)

Abilities
STR: 07
INT: 10
WIS: 15
DEX: 10
CON: 10

Languages: Common, Druidic, Goblin

Gear
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
3 torches
Leather Armor
Dagger
Sickle
50' Rope
Grapnel
Sling
Wooden Shield
6 gold pieces
Mistletoe

Weight: 46

Wealth
7 gp
0 sp
0 cp

Rumours: secret
Contingency: If I *~vanish mysteriously into the woods~* then let me *~vanish mysteriously into the woods~* 
I feel the pull. Ever since I came to this cursed city, that cursed hill calls to me. The cries of the unquiet dead. Something...unnatural. Imbalanced.

My order has given me leave to plumb the depths. Perhaps I wouldn't be brave enough to go it alone...but I don't have to. Other adventurers are willing to enter the maze for money, glory...it doesn't matter. And if we don't uproot the evil and destroy it, well, at least I tried.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 12, 2018

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hey, Jack!

Unfortunately you just missed the first party--they started about 10 minutes before you posted. I suspect we'll have some deaths soon, though, or you can hang out for another group.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In the meantime I will *~vanish mysteriously into the woods~*

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Is it fine to just post a character here in the thread while we wait for spots to open up?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yep! If we get enough extra folks I'll start a second party.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

New houserule added, see first post.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
More people should app to this; we should have like 20 people bumbling through the megadungeon.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Halloween Jack posted:

More people should app to this; we should have like 20 people bumbling through the megadungeon.

I agree. :)

Hell, if people wanted to make multiple characters to adventure with different parties I'd be down for that.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 4, 2018

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Our first death. So sad, Elonron. We hardly knew ye.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Hypnobeard posted:

Our first death. So sad, Elonron. We hardly knew ye.

Ronelon Nornole, money hungry cousin, coming soon

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

This is one megadungeon Ive always wanted to play

Blaxton Knibbs

Class & Levels: Fighter 1
Hit Dice: d8
Hit Points: 9/9
Armor Class: 15 (Scale + Shield)
Base Hit Bonus: +1

Saving Throw: 14

Str 16 +1 to hit, +1 damage, 1-3 open doors, +15 lbs, +5% xp
Dex 9 no effect
Con 13 +1hp/die, 100% raise
Int 7 speaks common
Wis 13 +5% xp
Cha 7 3 hirelings

Language: Common

Appearance: Wiry, angry

Gear

Weapon and armor = 75 lbs
Miscellaneous adventure gear = 10lbs
Movement = 12

Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
Lantern & 3 pints of oil
Chain Armor and Shield = AC 15
Hatchet
Battleaxe (+1 to hit, 1d8+1 damage)

Wealth
GP 5
SP 0
CP 0

If cease to play, kill off

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Thistle Girdwood

Class & Levels: Druid 1
XP Bonus: 15%
Hit Dice: 1d6
Hit Points: 6
Armor Class: 12

Saving Throw: 15, +2 vs fire

Abilities
Str: 9 open doors 1-2 +5 lbs
Dex 9 no modifier
Con: 9 75% raise chance
Int: 12 +3 languages
Wis: 13
Cha: 13 5 followers

Languages

Common
Elven/Fae
Giant
Goblin
Druid

Appearance
Homeless dank and feral

1 first level spell / day
Choose from
Detect Magic
Detect Snares & Pits
Faerie Fire
Locate Animals
Predict Weather
Purify Water

Move 12

Backpack
Bedroll
Rations, Dried (1 week)
Waterskin
Lantern & 3 pints of oil
Leather Armor
Dagger
50' Rope
10' pole
Longbow, 60 arrows +0 to hit, 70 range, RoF 2, 1d6 damage
Spear, +0 to hit, 1d6+1 damage when two-handed
Mistletoe

Wealth
5 gp
0 sp
0 cp

Story
Orders... Orders are for the pure-hearted, the inexperienced, those who follow along within the confines of society without thinking twice about the walls around them, the books in their hands, the laws that make up their yokes. Orders don't like it when you question too deeply, and when you get angry and demand answers, they turn on you.

Sometimes, though, they send the acolytes, and a druidic acolyte can be annoying as hell. "But Thistle, aren't those your gods too?"

Thistle took a puff off her pipe and held it for a moment before speaking, every word releasing more smoke. "Listen here you little poo poo, these gods love humanity the most out of all, because they sacrifice their very BODIES to help us fleshbags achieve a greater state of mind, which is more than I can say for anyone else in this loving tavern within THE CORPSES OF THE GREATEST SENTINELS OF THIS loving HOLLOW so until you give up your life for a lower lifeform, get the gently caress out of my face."

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 23, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm interested in a spot in the second party if there's still room...

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Ronelon Nornole

After having heard about his bumbling cousin Elonron's departure from the homestead, Ronelon had no choice but to follow in his footsteps providing protection and calculated advice.

Ronelon was known for these things after all... Well, at least he could convince his poor, gullible relatives that he was known for these things...

When he had finally caught up with Elonron, Ronelon saw that his cousin had joined a band of adventurers.

Ronelon sniffed at the air as if he could smell riches. He rubbed his palms and clicked his heels before he set off trailing behind the would be-mercenaries

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Kithe Lutenec druid
Blaxton Knibbs fighter
Thistle Girdwood druid
Waroduce ???

Thats four let's do this :black101:

(Im assuming Ronelon Nornole is joining party 1)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Ronelon is down for for party 2

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is Ron a thief? I don't wanna be a heal bot but I can roll a Paladin to spread some love around. My time line for having a character in is probably tomorrow night or thurs evenning. I had some meetings drop

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Waroduce posted:

Is Ron a thief? I don't wanna be a heal bot but I can roll a Paladin to spread some love around. My time line for having a character in is probably tomorrow night or thurs evenning. I had some meetings drop

He is, but alternatively I don't mind rolling a healer. I've already died as a magic user :allears: so feel free, I'll accommodate the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm a druid I have heals. I am ready

• Locked thread