Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely like what they’re doing with Pito. She’s the ruthless, bloodthirsty rival tempting the heroine into an eternity of slaughter... and none of that matters in the slightest because this is just a game, so they’re just friends who are going up against each other because they think it’d be fun.

I really hope they stick with that, and don’t introduce the kind of stakes that SAO is (in)famous for. Or, if they have to up the stakes (boo), I hope they keep Pito on the side of the angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The only sniper on the team is a tacticool tryhard unfortunately.

What I’m reading is that he has yet to be converted to LLENN’s gospel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that’s one of the more amusing self-inserts I’ve seen in a while.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There’s certainly a lot we’re missing about M. A special-forces-quality real-world sniper who sobs like a baby at the thought of losing in a video game is a pretty narrow category.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the sniping scene really didn’t just show the sort of skills you get at the shooting range. Hitting unpredictably-moving targets at extreme range while under heavy fire is pretty next-level. M is a ludicrously good sniper in the real world. I do think it was being unable to fulfill the instructions in that letter that caused him to break down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Sword Art Online Alternative: "This isn't Sword Art Online."

Really drat fun episode. This was exactly what we wanted to see, just a whole episode length running fight scene. Llenn was great, P-chan was great and the Amazon team were good opponents.

So I guess Pito may really be as crazy and sadistic as the OP makes her out to be, huh? I'm a tad worried, I'm liking this series for just being a straight up show about playing a game so if it does get all death gamey that may ruin it.

I’m hoping it’s an amusing overreaction on M’s part because he’s a great big pansy IRL. His breakdown was kind of played for laughs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So... did LLENN just shoot a guy's head off and stuff a plasma grenade inside him or something? :stare:

All in all, I guess tone shift is not off the table.

Then again, it may just be an extension of the whole ‘we can afford to get away with grotesque ultraviolence because none of this is real and nobody’s getting hurt’ thing that this show shares with Gundam Build Fighters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Karen and Elsa being nice, kind girls in real life and hosed-up, sadistic serial killers online is just really funny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ijyt posted:

A recap 5 episodes in seems dumb.

It’s usually a sign that the team is pushing themselves pretty hard and needs to take extra time to get everything up to scratch - and let’s be honest here, there’s been some fairly wild animation in these last few episodes. A recap’s better than someone dying or the production going full Wizard Barristers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apparently, only the free demos give you a random character. That’s why Karen was able to burn through thirty-seven games, and why she wanted to - she was only trying to experience the world in a small, cute body, and didn’t want to shell out any money until she knew it was possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder what Shirley's deal is

A name and unique hair color amidst a seas of never-ending faceless nameless mooks stands out quite a bit

I’m guessing that while M pretends to be a real-world genius sniper with his invisible bullet-line skill, she’s the real deal. The real question is what’s up with Pitohui and M’s faceless posse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Imagine waiting two minutes for your dick to regrow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm not gonna lie that is one of the sickest loving insane frankenguns i have ever seen

it's like a P90 hosed a M4 and had a baby

C’mon now, don’t post novel spoilers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The crappy-looking fake gore in GGO is amazing and hilarious. That bit where someone disintegrated into a pile of limbs and red pixels after getting hit by an anti-material rifle was great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ijyt posted:

Machine Gun Lovers and robots on bicycles.

The robots on bicycles seemed pretty competent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GGO does appear to have limited pain feedback, which does probably make torturing other players a bit more impolite.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, yeah, but someone pinning you down and repeatedly flicking you in the face (translation: blowing off your limbs and using you as a bullet-piñata) is probably pretty unpleasant and annoying. It‘s not exactly good etiquette.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the impression that your in-game stats determine how much pain feedback you get. Tankier characters do react less to being injured (Fuka, one of the toughest we’ve seen, barely seems to notice), while lighter, faster characters, and LLENN in particular (who we know skipped HP day) really don’t handle getting shot well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Glad to see this goony little show ended in the most E/N way possible. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, Warframe is a pretty great GGO sim. Get a Volt, give it a Baza and a Heat Dagger, and paint everything hot pink. Boom, you’ve got LLENN with M’s shield.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crain posted:

I really liked how the "dead" tags just kept undercutting all the over the top death drama in the finale.

All these hard fought wins and dramatic speeches ending with a bring[DEAD] to remind you this is just a dumb videogame.

Plus the way they animated the gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Quite fun interview with Sigsawa and Karen/LLENN’s VA.

• Locked thread