Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dont dare to visit youtube. Assholes already have thumbnails with key points of the game has clickbait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It must be loving good, because nobody is posting, everybody is playing or at the uni/work

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

So.. is good, is a good game. I am happy is not some techno hyper new experience. Is just a well made game, with great graphics and good design, built on top a over the top franchise and we have learn about videogames and gamers in 2018. This god of war is possible because Skyrim existed, The Last of Us existed, the Uncharted titles existed, the Two Brothers existed.. and so on. Is not actually a giant game, but a good game on the shoulders of giants.

Theres even things that I don't feel that are necessary, but for some reason are here, like the constant upgrading and looting random parts. I know God of War3 was also a constant stream of upgrades, but here the game feels very diablo-like.

A lot of things work with this game. Is not some 10/10 masterpiece, thats pure non-sense. Is some love letter to modern gaming, and is made with expertise. A good game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

The next God of War should just be an American Gods adaptation.

I would play the gently caress of that game.

My first what the hell this is awesome has been the dragon. It made me just happy to see the big and powerful byte the dust.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mandrel posted:

The witch’s sanctuary was breathtaking, especially when you get to her actual house

Shes waifu material. I hope we get to meet many smart womens to build a cool harem. But this is god of war. Realistically it will be weird if kratos dont end murdering everything we see in the game

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 21, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

parabolic posted:

I'm so conflicted about the combat changes in this game. I want the series to evolve mechanically, but I feel super claustrophobic sitting so close and so off center behind Kratos. I find myself missing the reach of his classic chain weapons a lot, and so the combat feels a bit... stifling? Everything looks so good, and we're just smashed up too close to it, IMO. Everything else about the presentation and story is loving incredible though.

huge spoiler:
I have good news for you

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Or just the overall RPG aspects in general. "gently caress them, it's not our problem. Don't gently caress up my weapons, they're already perfect."
He's still in a hack and slash.

I love how when he find some side quest about helping a ghost or other he is quickly goes to "not my problem" mode.

I am playing in easy and the enemies that give me problems are some type of shielded mobs, and these witches that teleport around and shot poison.

I advanced the story too quick and neglected upgrading and doing side quest for upgrades and It feel like the game punish me for it. The game want the player to upgrade stuff at a good pace.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Just finished the game.

In my journey I have found places that seems post-game activities:

Killing the valkieries, their vaults position unlock after compliting the game. Tough enemies.
The lava world arenas
The mist world randomly generated dungeon

End-game seems to be a gear grind.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not really like this game. I understand why is going to be GOTY for a lot of people, but I think the whole game his dragged down by some key negatives.

The combat is not fun to me. I don't know why is joyless for me. Maybe I am dead inside.
The enemy variety is small, maybe theres 15 type of enemies or more, but most are just variant of draught.
The weapons come in their own only after a huge grinding.

I like the relation of kratos dad and BOI, but is a minor theme, too small. You can't make a game about getting your kid, going to the mall to buy pizzas.

The game feel small.
I got utterly confused where to go or how to go to places. I am not a smart person.

I think they made the control pad distribution wrong. At times It feel like you have two control schemes or 3 combat systems and you may forget a entire combat system exist. People that change the layout to be more classic are into something.
I don't like how we get new "spells" or the variety in these. They have cool names but they do mostly the same thing. I wish they had boring names, but where strongly different each another.

Cool game, anyway, well made, and I enjoyed it very much. But not my goty.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 23, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

the valkyria fights are cool and good.

Also, I got the time freeze power and it helps me understand how this game works better. Things like valkiries use spells to do remote attacks and you can interrupt these if you shot at the hands. Imposible for old person me to see that in real speed but was kinda obvious in slow time.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played the Give me a Story mode. I use to be a PC gamer and my experience is mostly with strategy games and FPS's.

Using combos in a videogame is just alien to me. Anyway I had a lot of fun massing buttons and sometimes kratos would do a different move, and this is cool.

I use to think 30FPS was hilarious bad, but after playing many games on console I have learn that is perfectly okay. Only if you mix 30FPS and 60FPS you notice a difference.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 24, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

BOY went over this, just because they're called giants doesn't mean they're huge, it's just the name of the race

which is weird, considering the mountain scene at the end but whatever

I bet giants hate this stereotype.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

May be I am wrong, then it will be sad, but I think no resource in this game is limited. You get plenty of everything to upgrade everything with enough grinding. Some people is going to continue playing this game for 3 or 4 months, and these people will have things like a few millions unicorn dust or whatever resource you have in mind.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I think my favorite line in the game, at least the funniest one, was when I was in Tyr’s vault just hacking away at piles of treasure because it was fun to watch the coins and goblets get knocked around everywhere. I can’t remember where the conversation was at that point but BOY and Kratos had been talking for a while when a solution to some problem was revealed to be the act of destroying something and then...

BOY to Kratos: well that shouldn’t be a problem because you sure do like breaking stuff.

Mimir: HAAAA!

The timing and cadence was perfect. Hype Man Mimir is awesome.

The whole game is just a fortunate coincidence. Kratos personality, with the new role in the mythos. People that grown with kratos now having kids. The state to the technology.

Agean90 posted:

lmao athena aint no widom goddess, athena's a war goddess, bitch was born in full armor holding a spear. im implying that athena being calm and reasonable is due a big chunk of records coming from nerd rear end athenians who like that poo poo. pagan gods had personalities that would change from place to place so for all we know the spartans would have their own versions of the myths that would change from what the athenians had that would change from the rhodians that change from dudes in the black seas who prolly had some crazy syncretic thing going idk

The history lesson here is: if you have something important to say, write it down motherfucker.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fedule posted:

I don't know how I feel about this game.

Okay, that's a loving lie. I know pretty well how I feel about this game, but it's like six different ways at once, and it's weird.

The biggest problem with this game, really, is the reviews. I don't know why my usual cynicism failed me this time around but god help me, I bought into the hype just a little. And that probably made me resent the game a whole lot more for what failings it has than I might have otherwise. It's a pretty good game, really. I'd say it's even a great game. It is not a fawning 10/10. It is not GOTY. It is not even the best uncompromisingly challenging game with an unexpectedly emotionally engaging story about coming to terms with yourself and climbing a mountain that came out in 2018. I hate that I got caught up in these expectations because I don't really think anything about GoW that I didn't also think about Horizon Zero Dawn, except now I can't stop wondering why more people aren't complaining about the piles of needless loadout cruft, the pointless obsession with stats and skill trees and upgrades, all the small failings of the combat that don't matter 99% of the time but are thrown into sharp relief during challenges in which the game starts demanding something approaching mastery.

I feel like I could bitch and moan for hours about the combat, both specific mechanic and encounters and general stuff, all totally justifiably, despite the fact that I broadly really love the game and will probably play it again someday? I think? Is that weird? Like, I think it's exhilarating, and revelatory, and fun, but also utterly infuriating at times, and built on a few very stupid decisions, and I don't think the people who most deeply understand the system and the people who decided what the game would demand of players are the same people.

I feel like I could write an enormous itemised post of extremely specific things I don't like, and it would be cathartic, and it would teach me about myself. I'm probably not going to, though.

The thing with games like God of War is that people have grown with this game. Many of the people that have played GoW has teens now have kids.

Theres no real separation between the game and their lives. GoW is part of their life. Kratos growing from some "dumb" teenager angry dude into somebody with a gray palette ethic. That kind of speak to them, from inside. Is a stroke of genius. And the game have other strokes of genius. Some of these stroke are so fortunate that is probably more luck than skill.

The game kind of overflow of good ideas and is somewhat chaotic at utilizing them well. I think is going to be a better game when the next one release.