Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets

Brownhat posted:

No one deserves to win in a week 17 league.

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2018. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • Football Absurdity is a Goon-run football/comedy website that also happens to host lovely fantasy football cheat sheets.
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
  • Gridiron Experts: Previously a free site, they've decided to go for a free model this year.
Useful Premium Resources
  • Rotopass: A group rate for multiple sites; Footballguys, Rotowire, ESPN Insider, RosterWatch, RotoViz, Fantasy Insiders, and $10 credit to FanDuel and DRAFT.
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Three guys with a great podcast and an extremely comprehensive draft guide.
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • FantasyPros: The standard for fantasy data aggregation, and you can pay for access to a roster management and mock draft package called My Playbook that is very helpful.
Useful League Resources
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Spoeank posted:

Here's an updated twitter list for fantasy:

Twitter
Real NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

The Fantasy Footballers - some people don't like them (too much fluff) but they are insanely accurate
@JasonFFL
@AndyHolloway
@ffhitman

CBS Sports
@DaveRichard - might be the nicest guy in fantasy
@JameyEisenberg - doesn't sleep
@HeathCummingssr - contrarian takes
@CTowersCBS - mix baseball/football
@AdamAizer - Trash takes

ESPN
@MikeClayNFL - The only one worth your time on their godawful analysis network
@StephaniaESPN - ok, Stephanie Bell is good, too.

NFL
@ChrisWesseling - Former Rotoworld writer, great real life football knowledge
@GreggRosenthal - Same
@AdamRank - Fantasy Analyst

Rotoworld
@LordReebs
@JoshNorris
@EvanSilva - The GOAT
@RotoPat - The guy who writes the funny Rotoworld blurbs

Yahoo!
@scott_pianowski
@AndyBehrens - boring
@LizLoza_FF
@MattHarmon_BYB - The Reception Perception guy.
@YahooNoise - Accurate/ballsy, but can take over a twitter feed

Misc. Writers/PFF Guys
@friscojosh - The Airyards Guy. Kind of an rear end in a top hat but has great WR insight
@CDCarter13 - FF #taeks and owning the ilbs
@LateRoundQB - JJ Zachariason, Editor-in-Chief at Fanduel & Numberfire
@ChrisRaybon - DFS Expert, but gives some good insight
@ScottBarrettDFB - Head PFF Fantasy Analyst, extraordinarily good info
@MikeTagliereNFL - lead NFL Writer, Fantasypros
@Allinkid - Lead Writer, The Athletic Fantasy
@4for4_John - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@TJHernandez - DFS Director, 4for4

@HarrisFootball - lol gently caress this guy

If I forgot anyone lemme know and I will edit them in so Beer can just C&P this

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
  • The Fantasy Footballers: Has basically become the default fantasy football podcast, featuring three guys who are full time fantasy nuts. Decent balance of humor and conversation, although personally I find them somewhat repetitive.
  • The Audible: Footballguys has a regular podcast that combines a healthy amount of insight, injury help with Dr. Jene Bramel, and they're very football-focused if you prefer that to other podcasts that have gimmicks or gags.
  • CBS Fantasy Football Today: Another high tier podcast that balances humor and insight, with multiple perspectives and a decent amount of access thanks to their CBS affiliation.
  • 4For4 Most Accurate Podcast: John Paulsen has repeatedly won awards for accuracy, and he provides a ton of information in a condensed amount of time. The mood is light and never boring, and at only 30 minutes per episode it's short and to the point.
  • Around The NFL: Although not technically a fantasy-specific podcast, they have a lot of useful information and provide a pretty cool insight into the workings of NFL media. They also seem to get a ton of really cool guests and the conversation is surprisingly candid. This has become my favorite podcast.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every year I put together a list of general suggestions for draft strategies, and the community provided some wonderful insight and updates. Now that the NFL draft is over and fantasy football season has started I thought it would be appropriate to revisit those ideas and put together some new thoughts and suggestions. Consider this a living document, and let me know what you think!

Draft strategies are curious things, a strange combination of prognostication and historical analysis. The fact that we're even discussing this right now is indicative of our collective madness. But every year we see the same questions. When should I draft a QB? Should I go RB-RB-RB or WR-RB-WR? Should I get a TE early or wait until the end? I'm in a 2QB/4WR/1RB/FLX/2DST 19 man league with 3.14 PPR and TEs get +1 PPR on Thursday games against teams with blue pants, when should I draft a kicker?

The answer to all these questions is the same: It Depends On The Circumstances.

When you draft a player, you're making a statement. You're telling the world "At this moment I think this guy is the best player available for my team." In order to make that statement you have to have more than a positional strategy, you need to take a holistic approach. You need to take into consideration the needs of your team, the risk of that player under-performing his draft position, the opportunity cost of drafting that player, bye weeks, and a myriad of other factors. Relying on a simple positional strategy omits all of that. Same with relying on a raw value based drafting approach, using rankings, or any other single method. The best drafts combine strategies and consider the whole picture.

1. Know thy league. If your league uses PPR and your cheat sheet is for standard scoring you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Know your roster requirements, number of teams, starting lineups, and all of your scoring rules. Things like 2QB, keepers, superflex (which is a nice way of saying 2QB with the option to fail), big play scoring, and six point passing touchdowns can dramatically alter how you draft. You should also know your opponents and their tendencies. Is one player a massive homer? Consider how that will affect his draft strategy. Does your league tend to draft QBs super early? Exploit that by picking up valuable skill positions and going with a streaming QB approach. This also applies to whatever sources your opponents use to draft, such as the default rankings.
  2. The level of risk you are willing to take should correlate with the round of the draft. Your early picks are not for flyers, they're for reliable sources of points that can form the core of your team. I've come to be very risk averse in my early picks, mostly because of the damage done by drafting guys like Darren McFadden or Toby Gerhart. Look at the history of your player and any disruptive factors (age, usage, coaching change, team change) that could increase the uncertainty of the prediction. I'm also not a fan of taking rookies in early rounds for this reason.
  3. Know the opportunity cost of your draft choices. Opportunity cost is the essentially the price you pay for the road not travelled. In fantasy terms it's the value of the players you won't draft because of your choice, either because your positional need is decreased or because someone else will draft them. This is one of the core philosophies behind value based drafting, but it's more than just points. It requires you to not only know how you will draft, but ideally also your opponents. Will you drafting player X force your opponent to draft player Y, or will that guy still be around on your next turn? The greatest feeling in the world is when you make your pick and someone after you cries out in anguish.
  4. Develop your own tools for draft day and practice with them. I started making BeerSheets because I wanted something I could print out, bring with me wherever I went, and know that I could follow it to create my team. It needed to be fast, easy to read, and provide enough information to make the right decision without overwhelming you with data. Some drafts let you bring computers, others are just yourself and your mind. Whatever the rules, make sure you have the tools available so that you can stay on top of the draft order and always get the most value.
  5. Tiers are superior to strict rankings. There is no way to predict that player X will do better than player Y with enough fidelity to rank them before the season starts. This is why I'm such a fan of using tiers to determine the relative projections of players. Realistically if two players are ranked right next to each other then there probably isn't enough of a difference to matter and you should be considering other qualities such as historic performance, opportunity, injury risk, competition, and upside.
  6. Don't be a homer, but it's okay to have multiple guys on the same team. Aside from bye weeks it's not that big of a deal. What you don't want to do is be predictable enough for someone else to exploit your tendencies. The other side of this is drafting players from your team's rival. Can you stomach having someone you hate on your team? If the value is there consider swallowing your pride. Moral victories are for losers.
  7. Don't be afraid to reach. The best experts in Fantasy Football average a 60% accuracy. Remember that the numbers are just guesses, and if you have a gut feeling there's nothing wrong with going with it. In the end it's your team and you should be happy with it.
  8. The less predictable a position, the later that position should be drafted. This means drafting kickers and DSTs very late unless your scoring rules are weird enough to require a special strategy. Unless your draft rules require that you fill out your roster then don't bother getting a kicker. Use that last pick on a total flyer and see if anything changes leading up to Week 1. Just don't forget to pick up a kicker off the WW before your first game.
  9. The maximum value you will get for your trade bait is the draft pick you just wasted, so don't even bother. Some people exercise a strategy of picking someone up with the express purpose of trading them immediately. Remember, the four QBs you cleverly picked up even though you didn't need them were passed over by everyone else. You just sacrificed a team need for a lottery ticket that isn't likely to pay off. This is a particularly egregious mistake in the top half of the draft. This is different from drafting a late round flyer and hoping they turn out to be a sleeper, which is sound draft strategy.
  10. You can lose your league in the draft, but you win it in the waiver wire. No matter how well or poorly you draft, that's only a part of the game. Once the draft is done the real game begins. Follow the waiver wire religiously, and don't be afraid to drop your late round scrubs for something more promising if you get more information. I'm less enthusiastic about preseason trades unless you have access to new information or you're fleecing a homer.
  11. Mock until you can draft in your sleep. Mock drafting is a fantastic resource. Not only is it fairly fun, but it also helps you see how players will be taken and understand trends. If you can get to the point where you can instantly see a reach or a steal then when the real draft happens you'll be far more prepared.
  12. Challenge your perspective. It is far too easy to rely on preconceived notions or preliminary assumptions when dealing with Fantasy Football. Constantly challenge your perceptions and seek out sources that disagree with you. Find data wherever you can and honestly assess it, even if it counters your original train of thought. At worst you'll have an even stronger understanding of things. At best you may discover you were wrong.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If it's a 1 keeper league, the goal should just be to keep the best ADP bargain, or a top end stud like Brown or Johnson if you have one, and then just treat the draft and subsequent rankings as a redraft. Don't reach on young guys because it's a "keeper league" because it's not.

Also, as an aside, one keeper leagues are dumb and pointless and you should either do a full blown keeper/dynasty or just do a redraft. Tell your league to stop sucking

Spoeank posted:

DON'T 👏 DRAFT 👏 TIGHT 👏 ENDS 👏

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I think you are missing a pretty fantastic fantasy resource. :v:

Write up a blurb then.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

Is it too early for hot takes?

I think I would rather have Saquon Barkley than Zeke Elliott this year.

There's a pretty strong correlation between RB draft round and their rookie performance. First round RBs have a really good history. Using half PPR:

Leonard Fournette (2017): RB8
Christian McCaffrey (2017): RB11
Ezekiel Elliott (2016): RB2
Todd Gurley (2015): RB7
Melvin Gordon (2015): RB50
Trent Richardson (2012): RB2
Doug Martin (2012): RB8
David Wilson (2012): RBLOL
Mark Ingram (2011): RB40

It seems like at least recently there is a trend. Given the limited lifespan of RBs teams are willing to draft early and then run them into the ground.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Zack posted:

Trent Richardson was RB2 that year?!?!

Yeah. There's a reason he was a first round pick in fantasy drafts the following year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fansy posted:

My keeper league currently keeps trades in an excel spreadsheet, and chats via SMS. It's not ideal.

Has anyone made good software for off-season trading & chatting?

At the very least use Google Drive since you can all collaborate there. That and a Slack channel would work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And now the season can begin.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

A league owner wants to have a barbecue at a park in a couple of weeks to let the owners get to know each other. I suggested that we have some sort of competition to determine the draft order. Games of HORSE, maybe some embarrassing sack races, something like that. Anyone else do something like this for draft order?

We made a spinner that was a lot of fun. Depending on how athletic folks are a mini combine could be fun. On the opposite side of the spectrum do an eating contest.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can live after 12 shots.

I don't recommend it.

But you can live.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Just read an article saying to devalue David Johnson using statistical analysis based on team w-l record.

Truly a #blessed time we live in🙏

Forward it to everyone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/DFF_Shane/status/992796488282632193

There's some other stuff in there about the line but a lot of it is W-L & SOS

This is pretty bad...

quote:

It’s certainly not egregious to think that DJ can catch lightning in a bottle and finish as the overall RB1 but on average I tend to think that he will finish right outside the first tier of the draft(RB5-6).

So you're drafting a player who's floor is the upper half of RB1 and who's ceiling is 2016... and you're saying I shouldn't draft him first overall?

Someone please give me the R^2 value of this chart.

quote:

McCoy has had several top 10 finishes as a play caller, granted those teams featured two future Hall of Famers in Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning. McCoy has often been a proponent for a backfield committee, and he may not be as innovative when it comes to crafting a large volume of plays designed to get DJ the ball on plays that favor his skill set. In 2017 McCoy took over as the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos and failed to stay employed through Thanksgiving. Similarly, this year McCoy will take over an offense void of talent outside David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

I have no idea what he's saying here. He's a top 10 finisher, he loves a backfield, he sucked in Denver, he has two good players. So... expect what exactly?

Probably the best piece of information in the article; arguing that the line is lovely and injury prone and backing it up with real numbers.

quote:

The right chart above is a breakdown 2018 NFL strength of schedule from Sharp Football Analysis. If you are unfamiliar with this site or how SoS should be measured then be sure to check out this link for an explanation from Warren Sharp. Essentially, the rankings are based on current roster composition, the schedule itself, and current Vegas odds. Again, a common theme here is that Arizona is near the bottom of the pack.

Anyone arguing anything based on Strength of Schedule in May should be mocked.

quote:

At the end of the day, the charts and metrics above are more guides to show that Arizona has an uphill battle to finish with a winning record. For running backs, winning games leads to positive game scripts which correlate to added production consistently. David Johnson is one of, if not the most talented back in the league and his talent will allow him to mask some of the Cardinals shortfalls, to a degree. Ultimately fantasy owners should not expect the same 2016 production from Johnson as he is due for some slight regression. As mentioned before Johnson is more than capable of finishing as the RB1. But his other outcomes can vary significantly based off of team composition.

"Due for some slight regression" after he spent an entire season on IR.

Thank you for sharing that Spoeank.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 5, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

opposable thumbs.db posted:

As a Cards fan, I can reiterate that the line will be absolute trash, barring some sort of unforeseen large jumps in individual ability and coaching. Beer covered most of the reasons why that article is ridiculous for a player that seems to be going at about #5 right now, but I think the most ridiculous is the game script argument. Putting aside the fact that no one knows for sure how good the Cardinals will be since the NFL is unpredictable, DJ basically plays like a receiver a large portion of the time anyway so he still gets yards and snaps in losses. In the two games in 2016 that Arizona lost by more than one score, DJ still put up 22.1 and 23.1 points in standard scoring (plus 8 and 3 receptions).

Exactly. The entire article ignores the fact that David Johnson is a major threat as a receiver, and "lovely game script" just means they'll throw more. He's an every-down back for a reason. I'd love to get him #5 overall (he went #1 in the slow draft) and then go WR heavy for the next few rounds.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rookie WRs and TEs take awhile to turn around, so personally I'd focus on QBs and RBs and try to trade for a TE or WR after they falter their first year. Just look at players like Nelson Agholar or Davante Adams.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/993944447707738113

Alvin Kamara #1 overall pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

No takers? I know a couple of you expressed regret on missing out.

Yeah it's been a great draft.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

So apparently Andrew Luck still isn’t throwing a football. I’m pretty sure I’m going to cut him in my dynasty league.

So long as he's on a team he should be on yours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

He costs $13 in my salary cap league, and I already have Rivers, Goff, Keenum, and Bortles for like $2 a piece. Should I still let him burn a roster spot all season?

Bortles is worthless. I would drop him before Luck. Unless this is a 2QB league I would be fine with Rivers and Goff, and if it is a 2QB league then Keenum would be a viable third.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zauper posted:

On the other hand, bortles is a low end fantasy QB1. regardless, I'd try to move 1-2 of the QB and not drop any.

He is?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zauper posted:

QB12 two seasons in a row, and better than that the season prior. He's not a good player, but he scores like a low end QB1.

Fair enough. I guess he's going to be in that place at least one more year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gregg Rosenthal projected the starters for the AFC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931856/article/afc-north-projected-starters-browns-new-feel-joe-flaccos-test

Interesting early look. Lots of names that I don't know.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX. It's a dynasty league with a 25 man roster with 3 IR slots. $250 salary cap. Player salaries increase by $1 or 10% each year (whichever is higher). Here's my roster, with this year's salary next to each.

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

As you can see, I'm way over the cap. I'm working on trading Evans($55) at the moment. I have a tentative deal to ship him out and receive Chris Thompson ($2) and Marquise Lee ($2). Regardless of that trade I need to make room on the roster if I want to draft any rookies or free agents.

Is this PPR?

The cap increase means that the upper level for some of those WRs is just going to be unsustainable; frankly even Brown is getting up there. So here are my thoughts:

QB: Cut Keenum and Bortles. It's a 1QB league so sustaining more than three QBs isn't necessary, and neither Keenum nor Bortles have long term upside. Total savings: $4

RB: Cut Darkwa, Carson, and Conner. If this isn't PPR cut or move Montgomery. Assuming it's PPR, total savings is $7.

WR: Move Mike Evans for Chris Thompson and Marquise Lee. Lee is particularly interesting since he's the WR1 in Jacksonville and I'd like to think he at least has a solid floor that could make him a WR5. That alone will save you $51. I don't particularly see a need to keep Mitchell. Kevin White might be worth keeping at his price given his upside, and he'd be an easy cut next year. I would see what, if anything, I could get for Benjamin but I think he's a viable cut. Total savings here is $63.

TE: I like the idea of selling Travis Kelce. I think it's reasonable to think that Hunter Henry will be a solid pick, and I wouldn't cut Ebron given the lack of passing options in Indianapolis. So that's around $21 you'd save, minus a few bucks depending on who you pick up.

So now you're looking at $211, giving you $39 to play with free agency and rookies. That's really not a bad place to be and lets you focus your efforts on RBs. Something else to consider; maybe try to move Crabtree or Jeffery? Both are getting older and have some value now, but that will decrease in the future.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

It's the latter. Rookie contracts are based off of draft position. Pick 1-3 = $20, pick 4-6 = $18, and so on and so forth.

Can you trade for picks? Stocking up in the 2nd round on cheap guys might be a good strategy as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also don't be afraid to trade for 2nd/3rd year players (particularly WRs) who people might have soured on. Players like Davante Adams and Nelson Agholar took awhile to develop. Look for players who were drafted early in 2016 and have underperformed their position. Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, and Laquon Treadwell were 2016 first round picks. You could probably get Treadwell for nothing and Doctson would be cheap.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Are you sure that’s worth losing Kelce? I get that Henry and Ebron are decent options but Kelce is a virtual lock for top 2 TE and the drop off after Gronk and him is pretty huge, no? Also I feel like $21 is a good deal for him and he will be a good price for years to come.

Patrick Mahomes has played one game. There is no guarantee that he'll be good, and even if he is good historically rookie QBs have not been good for their receiving corps. Hunter Henry is playing under what looks to be a ridiculously dynamic offense with the Chargers, is locked in as a starter with Gates gone, and a 1000 yard 8 TD season is certainly not out of the question.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

But Mahomes isn't a rookie. :confused:

Yeah I know. I don't have much data on players who sit a year first, so in my mind he's still a rookie until he's demonstrated a season of starts.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I can get Treadwell for a 5th rounder. You think that's a good move? Treadwell costs $2 this year, and I doubt there's much chance of getting a useful player in the 5th round of a rookie draft.

I would.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Good job.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VietCampo posted:

Is there a website where i can mock draft similar to the fantasypros mock draft, but i can do it for all 12 teams simultaneously?

yea i'm a bored fucker with computer access at work.

Just make your own MFL league.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

:lol: Hunter Henry out for the season. Good thing I just traded Kelce!

The god K'nee demands more sacrifices.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm not trying to be a homer here, but why shouldn't Alex Smith potentially have a Top 10 season this year?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

In a redraft league, how high should Barkley be drafted? Is he going to be grabbed in the mid-to-late first round?

He won't make it past the early second.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Evan Silva and Mike Clay start mocking the Bill's FO for "Respect the Process" and then are SHOCKED to discover that people are terrible when you piss them off.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1002630525658464256?s=20

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fleaflicker is so much nicer to work with than MFL that it isn't even remotely funny.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sourdough posted:

But this is the truth 😑 Only reason to use their app is so you don't get horrible redirect ads on your phone browser

Oh. gently caress that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I've never seen anything like that from Sleeperbot. I just look at the news section. It's ALWAYS ahead of every other app/website I've ever seen in terms of the timing of important news. I have a clear advantage over my league because I always grab the valuable backup when I hear of an injury 15 minutes before everyone else in the league.

I ditched Sleeperbot and just have Twitter make notifications from Rotoworld. Seems just as fast.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

I'm still working on trimming my roster to make room and cap space for the rookie draft.

My current team:

Already traded Kelce, pending the result of the draft lottery (1st overall protected).

I have an offer of a 2019 3rd round pick for Funchess. Thoughts?

I also was asked what I wanted to get in return for Crabtree. What should I be looking to get in return for him. Preferably a pick in 2019. Is asking for a 2019 2nd rounder too much?

How much money do you need?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

My draft picks for the 2018 rookie draft (I'm assuming the Kelce trade goes through and I get a top 5 pick in return):

1st round pick ($20)
2nd round pick ($8)
3rd round pick ($4)
TWO 4th round picks ($2+$2=$4)
5th round pick ($1)
no 6th
7th round pick ($1)

So, if I wanted to use all my draft picks (They are voluntary, I don't have to), I would need to be $38 under the $250 cap, which would be $212 before the draft. I would also need to have 7 roster spots available(Out of 25). If the Kelce trade goes through, I think Keenum, Conner, & Darkwa are easy cuts. That would get me to $225 in salary and 1 open roster spot.

I could always trade away some of the later draft picks in return for similar or slightly better picks in the 2019 draft, if I don't want to cut/move as many players.

I'll just go over the individual players.

For my own notes: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX, PPR

Quarterback
Jared Goff ($3M): Keeper
Case Keenum ($2M): Cut.
Andrew Luck ($13m): I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Philip Rivers ($2M): Keeper.

Running Back
Rex Burkhead ($4M): Easy cut if he doesn't pan out, but I would reserve judgement since his upside is high. Good possibility of a waiver dump.
Chris Carson ($2M): Cut. Seattle's line is poo poo and they drafted Penny for a reason.
James Conner ($3M): Cut.
Orleans Darkwa ($2M): Cut.
Mark Ingram ($11M): Well you're stuck with him.
Dion Lewis ($2M): Awesome.
Ty Montgomery ($10M): Intriguing give that it's PPR. Don't be afraid to cut during the season.

Wide Receiver
Robby Anderson ($3M): For $3M you get the presumed WR1 in an under-appreciated offense. Should be a great flex.
Kelvin Benjamin ($10M): Trade. Do a package deal with some lower picks and get him off your team; Buffalo looks like poo poo.
Antonio Brown ($51M): Worth it.
Michael Crabtree ($17M): I can't hate keeping him given the upside in Baltimore. I'd move Benjamin before I moved Crabtree.
Devin Funchess ($2M): Too cheap not to keep.
DeAndre Hopkins ($26M): God drat I love this roster.
Alshon Jeffrey ($21M): He's what, your WR4? God drat.
Marqise Lee ($2M): Similar situation to Anderson. Worth keeping for the price alone.
Malcolm Mitchell ($2M): This could be a viable cut given his injury issues. I would try to move him for picks.
Allen Robinson ($12M): Worth keeping on upside alone, especially if Trubisky looks good. No guarantee he'll start off great but long term potential.
Demaryius Thomas ($21M): Yuuuuup. Keenum isn't an exciting fantasy QB but I think this will be great for Thomas.
Laquon Treadwell ($2M): High probability that he gives you nothing, but I like his potential more than a 7th round pick.
DeDe Westbrook ($2M): Keeper on upside alone.
Kevin White ($2M): Probably the last year I would keep him.

Tight End
Eric Ebron ($2M): I think he might surprise. Apparently the new Indianapolis OC loves to use TEs in his schemes.
Hunter Henry ($3M): RIP.
Travis Kelce ($21M): Sucks losing him in hindsight, but I think you'll be fine.

Including draft picks and removing Kelce you're at 34/$270. Cut Keenum, Carson, Conner, and Darkwa to get to 30/$261. The bottom of your roster is better than most of those late round picks, so you need to either cut or move five players to get to $25. Looking at your roster you have some obvious trades options in Benjamin and your 5th and 7th picks. You also have a lot of upside WRs that could be packaged to look for players with even more upside like Funchess, Mitchell, Treadwell, and White. So that's a total of seven players/picks that you need to reduce down to two.

I would start packaging those up to move up the draft board, get 2019 picks, or use them as leverage to swap other players for RBs or another TE. For example package a 4th, 5th, and 7th for a 2nd or package Benjamin and a pick to move up. IIRC the rookie hit rate beyond the third round is incredibly low anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Wow, thank you Beer. That's the perfect write-up. You are the man.

I should write for a fantasy site or something. I really enjoy doing it, and evaluating stuff like your list helps me keep track of my own situations.

Overall your team is really, really strong. Given the format I can easily see playoff contention. The loss of Henry poses an issue on TE and your RB depth is thin, but you have a significant opportunity to hit the playoffs on the strength of your WRs. I see your starters in the beginning as:

QB: Andrew Luck
RB1: Dion Lewis
RB2: Ty Montgomery
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: DeAndre Hopkins
FL1: Demaryius Thomas
FL2: Alshon Jeffrey
FL3: Michael Crabtree
TE: Eric Ebron

The fact that your team is so stacked that you don't even have to start players like Allen Robinson as a third flex is pretty astounding. That gives you an unprecedented level of flexibility in terms of trade offers and moving players.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

He ended up accepting. So I send picks 1.05, 4.03, 4.08, 5.08, 7.01 and Kelvin Benjamin, and I receive pick 1.02.

For me, it's basically just straight up swapping my 1.05, for his 1.02, since I was planning on cutting Benjamin, and not using any of my picks past round 3, because the players on my roster I would have to cut to make room to use the picks are more valuable than anyone I would draft with them.

Now the question is who do I take at #2. Michel seems to be the consensus, no?

It's clearly win-win for both of you, but I would have tried to keep a 4th and used it elsewhere to get a bit more value (maybe a 3rd and 4th for another 2nd, etc). Either way good job playing smart and focusing on clearing out stuff you don't need.

For #2, I say Guice. He's the #2 in consensus rankings, Washington will definitely make use of him, and he's an awesome person who takes fans out to the movies. I don't like Penny because of Seattle's offensive line, and I don't like Michel because LOL New England.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Good stat I just heard from Mike Tagliere: no team had top ten RB, top ten TE and two top 30 WR last season.

By current ADP
Kareem Hunt: RB8
Travis Kelce: TE2
Tyreek Hill: WR11
Sammy Watkins: WR30

That's a lot to put at Mahomes' feet

How often has it ever happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon