Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

all hail the new thread, fat as the old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Anyway I own a $1700 rowing machine so gently caress you all.

jbp cards

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What does GC blame for his weight loss? Is it the lap band surgery he got?? Hmm I wonder. Doesn't sound like personal responsibility to me

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

lol health insurance, even at the top premium cover levels, would leave you like $4-6k out of pocket for any gastric surgery depending on surgeon and procedure.

i think jbp might have been being facetious

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

isn't that what VET is or has school changed since i was there a decade or so ago

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

star wars & the empire returns finally

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tithin posted:

Hey I'm fat and I don't care, death will come as a blessed relief when it claims me

why do you hate fat people

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hmm, a user called thatfatkid advocating against fat people, i wonder if they are serious at all

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

Are we defining fat as overweight or obese, because those two have become partially interchangable in "fat people" debates and colours the view of who is saying them. "Fat" is a vaguer term and the people here saying they're fat i have been assuming mean overweight dads.

no gatekeeping. self identifying fatties are valid

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Why is saying something "sucks" not the same as saying something is "gay"?

????? :confused: ?????

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

froglet posted:

Something I don't get - what if you live in a really expensive area? Are you SOL and get the same amount as people living in the middle of nowhere?

joe hockey voice: just move somewhere more affordable and get a job

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm just holding a mirror up

as a mirror, gently caress you

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

san andreas supremacy

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

having worked at a tobacco franchise company doing stock and tech support for franchises, there is definitely a huge black market for tobacco. enough that we had to crack down on our franchisees to be like, look, stop selling chop chop you morons.

most of it goes to selling single smokes, instead of by the packet, but a lot of the reason why you wouldn't know this illicit trade exists unless you look for it, is because the quality of the tobacco is poo poo, even for the price. unless you get some marlboros imported from indonesia or something

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

as an aside, the tobacco retail industry is an absolute nightmare, and anyone who took a serious look at how the tobacco companies bypass advertising laws by blatantly advertising-and-offering-kickbacks to retailers for selling their brand would be like, holy poo poo this is hosed

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/993654727039533056

I don't think Tones knows what "Partisan" means.

you grate it on spaghetti

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THREAD UPDATE.

Steam is refunding me.

owned

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gently caress off whoever bought avs the new avatar. bring back the dancing girls

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

this broken hill posted:

i bought it for myself, bell jar

i need to remember who i really am

gently caress off, bring back the dancing girls. mods!!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:five:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bigis posted:

I’d also like to please change the constitution because it makes applying for a specific job difficult.

and i thought my posts were dumb

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Kommando posted:

Stop calling adults under 30 "kids" you bastards.

calling a 20 year old a kid hitting hard for you? is this a rabbit hole we want to go down :eyepop:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvn6eYJh-0c

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also, may I just chime in here and say age based wages are the greatest load of bullshit ever. If a job is worth doing it's worth paying a 13 year old the same as a 20 year old, don't entrench child labour by paying them less and making it more enticing for companies to hire year 8s and turf them before graduation.

lol "entrenching child labour" hahaha

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tell me, does paying women less encourage companies to hire them more. does underpaying women entrench female labour :allears:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

it's because female labour is seen as inherently worth less than male labour and I'm sure it's similar with young people

yeah exactly, its almost as if wages are paid based on the perceived ability of the person involved and not based on the difficulty of the job. it doesn't encourage people to hire kids over adults in any industry where ability is necessary, mmg's just mad that he got turned down from a maccas job at 23.

it sucks that people aren't paid equally for a given role, but accusing it of entrenching child labor is pretty fuckin funny, considering most teenagers work to have some kind of income to spend, not out of some pressing financial need

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

underpaying teens is good for reasons

spectacular praxis

yeah thats definitely what i said lmao

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

The best thing on earth is that beggars have police crackdowns launched on them but wage bandits only answer to FWO who have like one employee

it beggars belief :rimshot:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

The gender wage gap is pretty different to the fact that we allow people to hire children at wages well below the minimum wage and I don't know why anyone here decided to conflate them and cause this stupid conversation.

because their existence doesn't create some sort of labour class of preferential hires, depriving hard working adults/men of their jobs

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

why arent our 7-11s staffed by children if they're so abundant and cheap to hire, surely it would be easier to commit wage theft on them

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

Because people under the age of 18 can't sell cigarettes.

looks like they're worth less, then

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

keen to hear all your thoughts on apprentice wages, i'm sure they should all be the same as people who are not apprentices. they're doing the same job right :shrug:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

are you somehow under the impression that apprentice workers get paid at least minimum wage, hooman

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

heaven forbid anyone tries to become an arborist and pay rent

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

No, I'm saying they should be. I'm saying the exact argument for 16 year olds working for less than adults should also apply to apprentices, I'm saying I'm consistent on the case of "being paid below the minimum wage for work is loving bullshit".

I agree here, nobody should be paid below minimum wage. I would go as far as to say that minimum wage should be higher across the board and indexed to CPI/median rent prices. I just don't think that paying children less because they're children creates opportunities to entrench child labour. If paying children less means paying them below a living wage, that's fuckin lovely and should be changed. It doesn't have any impact on whether adults get hired for jobs because as we've established, there are a whole range of industries that children aren't even allowed to work in because they (legally, physically, whatever) can't do some tasks that a person who is older than them can do.

JBP posted:

Running a till does not require months of training and assistance.

Depends on the job

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

EDIT: And if the tradie is also making the minimum wage? Well then that's not an argument to cut the apprentice's pay, that's an argument to raise theirs.

yes, exactly. doesn't mean that the apprentice's pay should be raised to match the tradie without consideration for the broader picture

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

the job is running a till

JBP posted:

If I hired someone to sell poo poo and enter it into a till and they could not do that job without help after a month I would sack them.

i pity the people you hire with dyscalculia or anything else that precludes them from picking up tasks as quickly as you

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

The federal government paying an 18 year old less than a 20 year old less than an “adult” (at 21) for the same work is bullshit.

i can get on board with this. if you're old enough to be able to make adult decisions, you should be paid as an adult. in my head i'm thinking 15/16/17, not the 18-20yo kids

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Periphery posted:

The fact that children can't work at servos has no impact on the hiring preferences of fast food chains, supermarkets or other similar unskilled jobs. The fact that those children get paid substantially less to do unskilled labour would seem like a likely factor that would impact those job markets.

I don't really see how this concept is hard to understand unless you've never been to a supermarket or fast food place before.

conversely, if adults and children were paid the same, what motivation would a fast food or supermarket employer have to employ a child over an adult? how do you propose young people enter the labour market when potentially competing with people with 10-15+ years experience than them in unskilled roles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

i motherfucking love figuring out market-based solutions to labour issues, hell yeah

labour: somehow not a market where people are judged on their skill and competency

• Locked thread