Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Salt Fish posted:

My mom is 451, your mom is 402.

Yo momma is 418 -- short and stout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

new episodes of Linux are released on a weekly basis so you have to keep up

I always wait a while so I can just binge an entire distro at once.

I'm currently about halfway through Xandros. (No spoilers please!)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

poty posted:

i really want to watch all the sports so im thinking of getting a vps account in that neighbour country and installing a vpn server there myself. is that a thing?

Depending on how exactly they're doing the vpn detection, that may or may not work. I have a cheap little vps in North Carolina and Netflix won't play through a simple ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy setup to it. But exactly the same setup works great if I ssh home to my cable modem. So they're not detecting the tunnel itself, but something about the endpoint (probably just that the IP is in a vps block in a datacenter).

But that's Netflix, which probably has a much larger budget for tunnel detection. And since a VPS is like two bucks a month (just pick anyone on lowendbox that's having a special and has servers in the country you want), you might as well give it a shot and see.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lysidas posted:

i understand the appeal of buying a box but i would recommend just paying $5/month for a cloud vps like from digital ocean or wherever, setting up algo, generating keys for everyone and sending the .mobileconfig profiles to any ios devices

works great for services out of the country, though it would not be hard for things to start noticing "this ip is in the digital ocean/aws/azure/whatever" block, not a residential connection, so it could easily stop working at any time

my mom got a ton of use out of it for history channel and pandora on her ipad when on vacation

i've done the same thing but more half-assed: no vpn, just an ssh tunnel to the vps (or to a box at home), and a socks proxy in the browser.

which reminds me, does iOS let you do ssh tunnels yet? i haven't played around with an iphone/ipad in quite some time, but when i last did, it sure seemed like they really didn't want you coloring outside the lines like that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

the Surefire thing is incredible

I wonder if the flashlight company will sue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

hackbunny posted:

I'll keep using veracrypt tyvm

:yossame:

and/or encrypted lvm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1060250790860910593

And I'm sure that Snowden endorsement on their (seized) website was totally legit as well.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I feel like Isaac Asimov would have something to say about this. (I'll put the over-under at four sentences before he would use the phrase First Law of Robotics.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

i order all my passwd files hand-made from etc

Same except regretc

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

what the gently caress?

It's how the whole "Mike Pence wants to get hosed by a horse" thing got started.

https://twitter.com/VP/status/863182608552906755

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I also dislike kids

:yossame:

• Locked thread