Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

When I typed that up, I was just realizing the ridiculousness of them even being caught in the first place in the net. None of that makes any sense. And yeah, Chewie would come off to them like the Engineers would to us; I'd think they'd care about him more since he more resembles what they are used to while C3PO more resembles the invaders.

Even C-3PO knows it's dumb as hell and tries not to play along because "it's against my programming to impersonate a deity" even though he's able to do it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

bring back Lando and then immediately kill him.Introduce him for 5 seconds just so the audience recognizes it's Lando, have him get shot right after, and then just linger on his corpse for another 30 minutes or so

Not even 30 minutes or introduced for 5 seconds just pull Terry Crews in Terminator Salvation for maximum nerd rage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think my favorite detail about this is how yeah, he does make the kessel run fast enough to get them to their destination alive, but even right after the fact Chewie scoffs at him for lying about how fast they did it and he's not even saying he did it in under 12 parsecs (he admits to Chewie that it was done in 12 if you round down a bit) like he does in A New Hope and on top of that they only did it because they put LadyTron's brain into the Falcon's computer. So they managed to have him both make the kessel run in an exceptional way while still being completely full of poo poo when he's telling Luke and Obi-Wan about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Y'all hating on the Maul stuff, but goddamn, when the slow version of Duel of the Fates plays as he talks to Qi'ra, that poo poo is rad and I don't care who loving knows it.

It fuckin' owned and I stayed out of this thread til I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was great just because there was 100% no way in hell I was going to expect that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

"Disney is going to make yearly Star Wars films including unimaginative origin stories for popular characters" wasn't exactly impossible to predict.

Yeah like this was something people were saying freely since the day Disney bought Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maul didn't need to be kept around for the other movies but I think Dooku should have been in Episode I.

Agreed, it would have been cool to have him around earlier since the seeds of Palpatine playing everyone against each other are planted in Episode I. By the time he and Obi-Wan meet he's already just telling them outright that they've been duped and is hesitant to even raise his hand against them at first. It kind of put them in a corner too because they needed him to be on screen with Anakin for a while but magically suddenly decide NOT to reveal any of the truth to him even to the point where it probably would have saved his life (Anakin's still at the point of errant force users being brought to trial rather than executed at this point in the story) :wtc:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Enfys Nest is just Destiny Fallen Captain armor.

Like 90% of Destiny's armor is ripped almost 1:1 from various 70s concept arts for Vader/Boba Fett/other OT and PT stuff so it's the other way around. Destiny looking like Ralph McQuarrie: The Game was half the reason I was interested in it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 2, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Solo was the last best chance to have a star war without lightsabers right

[ClaudiaChristian]It failed.[/ClaudiaChristian]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t think they could resist not having Boba Fett fight an exiled Jedi considering what happened to his dad.

He was just a simple man, trying to make his way in the universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

Abrams said that he and Terrio completely trashed Trevorrow's script when he was fired (and Trevorrow himself said that he intended Episode IX to heavily feature Leia), so...

Yeah Leia being incapacitated/otherwise out of action for much of VIII and then having a major role in IX was being talked about shortly after Force Awakens came out. They're only going to be able to do that now with a lookalike actress or a new character filling in for whatever she was to be doing. When I saw The Last Jedi I assumed the way Holdo was introduced meant she was going to fulfill that role in episode IX but whelp.

Speaking of Trevorrow we got around to seeing Jurassic World yesterday and wow, they made a flick worse than Jurassic Park 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Joe Johnston is a good director from time-to-time. Trevorrow's best film is a bottom-tier indie comedy.

He's good but Jurassic World was not one of those times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

The thing I found interesting about that source was his stuff about how Johnson's trilogy will be post episode 9 and episode 9 won't be tying things up at all. Full Marvel, I guess.

I just assumed this was the case from the getgo and that his trilogy would be Episodes X/XI/XII.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

Saw Solo finally. Thought it was alright, but the focus in this film, and Last Jedi, on those dice is very very strange. The dice are in one shot in A New Hope and never show up again, and these two movies treat them like they're a central linchpin of Han's character.

I'm hearing this a lot and yeah, I don't get why the dice are suddenly important.

Was there ever any old EU thing where they have some super important significance or something?

You could say they gambled and lost by rolling so much footage of them in the new movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For maximum nerd rage I hope Episode IX takes place like fifteen years after Last Jedi but still brings back Benicio Del Toro's character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Episode IX should be Almost Famous in space, focusing on the Max Rebo Band trying to tour and occasionally running into the main characters from the previous movies like they're Forest Gump.

It will be the first R rated Star Wars film due all the required conversation about wailing jizz everywhere.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Leia will be a central character in IX but always be just out of frame from whoever she's talking to. All her dialogue will suspiciously sound like out of context recordings of Carrie Fisher.

In a startling turn of events Disney secures Godfrey Ho to complete Episode IX.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I do wonder at the whole "Rey's father was Obi-Wan" thing if only because I can't figure out how the timeline would work. Rey is meant to be about 18 or 19 and Daisy Ridley was 23 when they were making TFA, so let's assume for the sake of argument that Rey could be that old.

TFA is set about 30 years after ROTJ so Rey would've been born anytime between seven and 12 years after ROTJ, at which point Obi-Wan would've been dead for about 15 years. Did the theory require an assumption that Rey's conception was some sort of Rosemary's Baby thing where Obi-Wan impregnated her mother while he was a Force ghost that looked like Alec Guinness?

I don't go in for fan theorycrafting so I don't know what the reasoning was.

"There was no father."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movie titles are no big deal. They're all fine.

I think Attack of the Clones was the only time one was subject to wide ridicule, even it's not particularly bad. There was a lot of disappointment though that the title was Attack of the Clones and then the clone wars kind of don't really get underway until the movie's climax. A common sentiment I remember was that Attack of the Clones should have been episode 1.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a tv series happening, which is going to be produced by Jon Favreau, but it's supposed to be set between ROTJ and TFA.

I think the idea that Disney is going to redo the prequel trilogy has been making the rounds since they bought the company. I don't really see it happening, though.

This could be kind of cool depending on what they touch on in it. Maybe they could get Max Von Sydow back or some of those other folks that are in Force Awakens for like one second. Not that everything has to be connected, just I think Force Awakens more than a lot of these flicks have advertised and talked up stuff for the movie that ended up only popping up in some comics and tie-in novels.

I don't see Disney remaking the prequel trilogy either as much as fans like to talk about it. At most there'll be another TV show, hell an Old Republic series could easily own - not even taking into account anything in the games they could just base it off those Tales of the Jedi comics where we first saw the 3,500 years before A New Hope era stuff.

I don't know if I'd mind a "remake" of the prequels if they got the people who did the Clone Wars series to just make another awesome series though set like immediately after Revenge of the Sith or right before Phantom Menace or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

This feels weid to type but honestly hes too good for Star Wars

Max von Sydow was in Judge Dredd and Force Awakens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Sith happens." -Lando Calrissian

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah the characters in Rogue One ARE thin but there's a difference between thin and being all over the place or undefined. Rogue One's characters are fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

Sounds kinda like the Saudi Arabian city Jeddah to me :thunk:

The empire's there mining kyber crystals from the ancient center of the planet's main city which Chirrut and Baze are sworn to defend. Kyber, like Kabba or Ka'bah, the literal names of the rock itself and the shrine around it in Mecca.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Preston Waters posted:

Anyway, to throw one more opinion onto the bonfire regarding Episode IX and the ST -- I really wish Rian Johnson or someone qualified who isn't JJ would have directed it. One poster said that TLJ made the ST seem schizophrenic, and while I feel that is untrue having watched them back to back recently, I really enjoyed the fact that TLJ set everything up to go in a new direction, and I'm afraid that won't be the case now with JJ Abrams at the helm again. If he doesn't move the story forward while being faithful to TLJ, it's going to be a massive dud.

Hell, I keep going back and forth on whether or not this thing should be turned into a quadrilogy. I think the way TLJ ended, it felt like the end of the first half of a grand story. It's almost like we got the Resistance off the field and they gotta regroup during halftime and find out a way to come back and win. I want to see the new direction from Rian Johnson's vision. Maybe use IX to wrap up the majority of the OT character's stories, develop the Rey / Kylo thing more (it seems like it needs more time to blossom), show the Resistance get some wins and build back up, and then have the ultimate show-down in Episode X. Otherwise you're going to need a three and a half hour film to make things believable, and we know Disney would never allow that because it would hamstring the profit margins.

But mostly I just want to reiterate that there are reliable directors out there that aren't loving JJ Abrams. It would be great to have some poo poo wrapped up, questions answered, etc. The dude is notorious for introducing great ideas and then bailing on them because he has treatment-resistant ADHD or some poo poo. He's great with characters and drama, but I have zero faith in him wrapping this trilogy up in even a satisfactory manner.

Agreed.

Honestly I know it won't happen but with the way TLJ ends and Han/Luke/Leia gone anyway it'd be kind of awesome if IX had like a five or six year time jump or something. Otherwise I feel like Abrams is just going to reset everything a second time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm legitimately surprised they haven't announced that Rian Johnson's trilogy is cancelled yet because I'm still reasonably sure - not 100% guaranteed certain, but reasonably sure - that they will do that. Oh, well. I am probably making too early a guess; if it happens, it will probably happen next year. I imagine Disney (not Lucasfilm, obviously) will make a decision once they've had an opportunity to gauge the response to the first Episode IX trailer.

Weren't they not even clear on whether or not his trilogy was meant to be a big deal EPISODES X/VI/XII thing or if it was just, like, three Star Wars movies from him or something? After how Solo performed I think that's a more important detail than we all thought it was previously.

I do wonder what the plan even is for Episode IX. Like they the past two movies made huge efforts to reestablish the galactic order as a huge empire vs. plucky under supplied rebels. And then IX ended on such a note that like I wouldn't even mind if they just did a time jump. Same for whatever movies they do next I wouldn't mind if they just straight up jumped ahead thirty years or something. I like both Finn and Rey but Poe Dameron in Last Jedi was just dumb as hell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Slutitution posted:

This hot take is even worse than your spelling.

Sith happens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

It’s not murder if you believe in the force. Which he’s a Jedi so and the force exists.

More simply going by the movies, it's not murder if you're a Jedi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's like a twenty year time jump and the new main character is the kid sweeping at the end of Last Jedi whose name is Will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. Goddamn, that's bad.

I read an interesting interview from the designer of, uh, New 52 Batgirl? About how often when they make characters now "can someone cosplay as this" is a factor in the design process. This is just an extension of that into the mindset of "how easily will adult parody film producers be able to use this."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It looks like Rey has Anakin Skywalkers lightsaber back, but it's a different color now?

I hope Kylo Ren's scar moves again. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

YaketySass posted:

A Skywalker is already what they call a deathsticks addict.

*puuuufff*...the biggest problem in
the universe is *puuuufff* no one helps each other...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Hayden showing up and having a sit down with Kylo Ren could've been a neat scene in a well-thought-out ST. It wouldn't surprise me if they sneak it in in the third film but I genuinely don't think they'll 'canonize' the present PT in the ST so blatantly.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the ending of the film is Rey, Force Luke, Force Anakin and Kylo teaming up to kill Super Palpatine -- for good, this time. So, who knows.

They were playing with doing this in Force Awakens when Kylo meditates over Vader's helmet. The helmet's resting on the ashes of everyone they incinerate on each trip somewhere searching for the first Jedi temple.

There was a lot of cool, like, this isn't TECHNICALLY formal Jedi or Sith kind of behavior but we all perceive the force so of course folks have various rituals and faiths and things they build up around it kind of stuff. Everyone on the lookout for Jedi/Sith artifacts was to be a part of that too, sort of like the relic "industry" in ancient Catholicism because after the events of Jedi/etc. it sinks in with folks at large again that oh poo poo the Force is for real real and not just a thing we talk about. Them exploring the Death Star II wreckage in this flick was something originally from Force Awakens too IIRC. It was going to open up with Finn having already deserted and flying through space stuff over Jakku before getting busted and crash landing since Ren's ship and complement were in the area.

I liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi quite a bit but both wasted a lot of potential and that sucks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

I'm glad; it's a bad character. I guess they could try to make the character good, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Yeah I saw an interview with Lupita Nyong’o and she said straight up she asked for the role because her role in 12 Years A Slave very challenging and she just wanted something extremely non-physical and simple.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

He had the unsavable combination of being an Insanely Online Twitter Man and the person who wrote this: 'The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight.'

"Imagine four banthas at the edge of a cliff."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Awful. Bantha poodoo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Didn't Rey respond to the Dark Side's call in the last episode when she jumped head first into that sea hole and saw herself in the hall of mirrors thing? And Luke made a big deal out of how easily she was drawn to it?

Was going to post this also, like, what?
I mean obviously I understand, I think it's stupid, but I understand Abrams undoing some of the doors that were opened in Last Jedi, but drat LOL. Maybe he's just being petty because they moved Kylo Ren's scar between Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

teagone posted:

Oh. Oh no. DO NOT WANT.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Preston Waters posted:

This sounds like some poo poo I wrote in third grade right after I watched The Exorcist for the first time.

idk why but every story I wrote as a kid was a star wars sequel trilogy treatment.

Speaking of that example, it did indeed reminds me of this!

https://web.archive.org/web/20050313031235/http://www.freewebs.com:80/exorcist-synchronized/synchronized.htm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Violator posted:

It’s basically rumor at this point, right?

Doronin posted:

:laffo:

It's only April and there are usually a bunch of bad rumors floating around, but that's a franchise killer of a storyline if any of it is true.

I forget but at this point before Force Awakens came out wasn't basically the entire plot of it leaked correctly?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

they name her phasma because as far as the plot's concerned she might as well not even be there

Due to her design/etc. before Force Awakens came out she was hyped up like she was to be the new Boba Fett in terms of badassness/etc.

She is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Would 100% watch a Star Wars remake that takes place in depressed, small town Midwestern America.

...or Afghanistan.

e: John Hawkes for Old Ben, the burnout alcoholic living in a shack on the edge of town who vowed to watch out for his shithead war buddy's kid.

No Country for Old Jedi