Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Robot Style posted:

I guess it's technically true if Snoke was ever being directly controlled by Palpatine, since "Palpatine" is now just the outer shell of a thousand year old Russian nesting doll of Sith consciousness and would include Plagueis.

He's the Avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Darth Not Appearing In This Film

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The only "super" men I care about are the following down to earth cinematic protagonists

-george bailey
-bob woodward
-kramer and kramer
-serpico
-the bicycle thief
-walter white
-orson welles
-marty mcfly
-jesus christ (jesus christ superstar)
-king kong
-nanook of the north
-batman
-kevin costner in "draft day"

Everything else I see is just like, a silly ridiculous cartoon to me. These are the only movies I can take seriously, I wish there was more in ALL of these respective franchises.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
His son writes spider man comics

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Alchenar posted:

However the prequels are interpreted and reinterpreted, they'll never escape Lucas's 'stand still with your arms at your sides and say the line blankly' director style.

There's really shockingly little of this and what there is feels like reshoots.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What is "Star Wars," anyway? It looks like some phantom of the paradise knockoff

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Why isn't Kylo Ren at all like Han Solo? Wouldn't it make sense if his character was jokey or wannabe-suave? His whole arc is the struggle of an apparently good person versus a war machine and people trying to use him, but he doesn't appear to have an individual identity with which to struggle. He seems a lot like Anakin, but almost more than Luke did. Is Poe also Han's son?

I'm interested in what the storyboards for the fight sequence look like, if it played better in stills or was just poorly drawn from the start. I think the guy getting chopped up by the electricity hole that's in the floor is funny. The music in that scene is very bad.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Robot Style posted:

Modern action movies usually have stunt-vis rather than storyboards, where the stunt team gets together and just shoots a low-budget version of the fight to reflect what the final version might resemble. Since it's actually filmed and performed by stunt people (and has to sell the fight to the director), it can sometimes be more kinetic than the final sequence.

Here's one for Winter Soldier, and you can see how a version of the TLJ fight done like this could be approved by Rian Johnson in concept, with the assumption that any gaps in believability would be filled in once the scene is shot with the right costumes, sets, and VFX.
Also, since these sequences are designed to play to specific camera angles, changing any of the shots in the sequence would reveal the gaps in choreography.

Fascinating, and perhaps ultimately a weird use of resources.

ALSO I am doing a 180 on my opinion about the last jedi lightsaber battle, I think it is supposed to be like kabuki, and that the set specifically reflects this in that (according to my one minute of research) "The kabuki stage features a projection called a hanamichi (花道, "flower path"), a walkway which extends into the audience and via which dramatic entrances and exits are made. Okuni also performed on a hanamichi stage with her entourage. The stage is used not only as a walkway or path to get to and from the main stage, but important scenes are also played on the stage," and this is reflected in the last jedi's set with the little walkway to the elevator. Theres obviously other theatrical elements people have pointed out, the curtains burning and the Wizard of Oz stuff, and this reads to me as a possible undressing of the theatrical tendency to glorify violence in its depiction, being all like cool and about being stabbed in the head and etc. The figures are almost like blood ghosts, one of them, again, falls through a hole in the floor into a chopping mechanism, at the end one of them falls OFF the stage, there is an ocular device with no apparent purpose, like a lens. The scene is certainly "staged" so it's at least worth that.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's a lot going on.

As noted earlier, the shot practically does everything in its power to draw your eye away from the two characters being launched into eachother. The actual point where the two weapons bump is offscreen, so we never even see it happen.

On top of this, the actors don't do a very job of 'selling' the physical impact. The spear is lightly bumped, but the actor is supposed to act as though it was blown out of his grip, so he's like "whoa, look!!! it's flying out of my hand!!!" while he gently tosses the prop aside.

The end result is that it looks like he's deliberately tossing the spear away in order to block the lightsaber with his hands instead.

These guys also remind me of the original theatrical conceptions of ninjas, who wore black to blend in with the stagehands moving parts of the set. Combined with the curtain, this says to me that these guys ARE pretty lame and draw power from theatrics, in the way that robots storm trooper and clone troopers do and have done. He's throwing his whip away because it's his cue to get stabbed into the 3d camera. It's a room full of the guys with the sword who indiana jones shoot, indiana jones himself has his cyborg whip thrown at the wall. These guys are all as cool as darth maul, theres 8 (I think) of them, and they get ceremonially killed by two dumb young jedi who arent on the same page about what they want.

The best impact is "sold" by the guy who turns into ribbons of confetti. Stagecraft!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

It’s really not complicated at all: if Vader is just Anakin in a different hat, then his entire life revolves around serving Padme and protecting Republican liberal democracy.

So, Vader would have just hosed off with Obiwan and Yoda before joining the rebellion. Yet he didn’t do that???

Well, because he is the most morally conflicted character in all the movies. Anakin Skywalker distrusts and dislikes the jedi, struggles with their code and how it conflicts with his emotions, and interchangeably does the right and the wrong thing all the time. His life revolves around Padme, but he doesn't "get" what she's about (he prefers aggressive negotiations), months into her pregnancy they still aren't being honest with each other. He presents her with an empire and is confused when she doen't want it, and tries to strangle her. Before she dies, he was doing his evil on her "behalf," and after she dies he has already killed all the Jedi and there are videotapes of it. There's no way Palpatine just lets him walk. He's no better than a slave.

The tragedy is entirely that it's the same guy. It's the same little kid in the evil space suit. Life just hosed him up.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I wonder if they put a lovely star wars in theaters on purpose, to kill theaters, only to instantly release boba fett 2 onto their new exclusive proprietary streamo supremo source

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

That’s where it gets weird because, yeah, the chair scene is occurring fairly late in the final film and seemingly proving that telekinesis is real. And this is really bizarre for the narrative, because it’s literally the first time Han and the rest have actually seen something levitate - yet there’s no focus on their reactions whatsoever. They don’t even seem to notice.

Moreover, the joke is that the telekinesis is somehow completely mundane: “these Ewoks are so dumb; they think the robot is their god, when I’m really just using the everyday radio waves from my brain to swing him thru the air.” The previous equivalent scene is when, after months of gruelling indoctrination, Luke sees Yoda make the X-Wing float and it totally shatters his mind - to such a degree that I guess he forgets X-wings have built-in antigravity generators. It was a big deal.

So the chair scene is notably the first and only scene in the OT where the magic is played for comedy, the first where it’s presented as totally boring, the first where it isn’t dismissable as a trick or hallucination, and the first where it’s done right in front of muggle onlookers who don’t give a poo poo. This is a strange break from the logic of the previous films, and a clear precursor of the prequels and midichlorians. You could really say that midichlorians were entirely based on the implications of the chair scene.

But, like a lot of things in Episode 6, it just happens without any real impact and instantly vanishes from the mind (like the part where Chewbacca gets shot). So nobody spent the last 30 years complaining about the demystification.

What of the imperial perspective, where vader is notorious for choking everyone with accursed voodoo

2 slow

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Detective No. 27 posted:

How did Kamino go from a planet so obscure that Obiwan had to uncover it in a conspiracy plot to them having a representative in the Republic Senate? Did they say "hey we're making your army, can we get a seat?"

Weirdly, it looks like they're also making their robots.

I think there's something to the idea that these robots are kaminotech, especially since the one has a little mowhawk ridge like the Prime Minister here.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

So: what are we talking about when we talk about telekinesis? From where did this concept originate?

Abstract semiotic phenomena, like cinema, theater, novels and paintings, talking, fire and song.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hamlet's Uncle appears to him in a vision, telling him not to kill his father

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

porfiria posted:

I'm 95% sure this conversation has been had before, but faster than light travel is arguably even more impossible than telekinesis.

Telekinesis is simple, you just need a film projector.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the "force" can be interpereted almost literally; a force, like gravity, that affects the movement of other bodies. Vader is dressed like a black hole and thus is powerful enough to attract guns like a planet would a moon or a ring. When Jedi die they turn into light beasts, like how star's light is just reaching us now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Well yeah; that’s what’s shown on the prequels - specifically when Anakin and Obiwan stop, build up power, and then repel eachother like magnets. It’s that literal animal magnetism. But, back in the OT, we are presented with three very different ideas of how magical things work.

We’ve already gone over Episode 4, but it bears repeating that Han’s a conman, Vader’s a hypnotist, Obiwan’s a conman/illusionist/hypnotist, etc. There’s an extremely heavy emphasis on trickery. The first “force power” we ever see is Obiwan waving his arms in a makeshift ghost costume and making spooky sounds to scare people. Astonishing!

In the sequel, we get a rather sudden shift into altered states of consciousness. The first “force power” occurs as Luke is freezing to death after a traumatic head injury. Later, Yoda sends him on a ‘vision quest’ - which implies that Luke is under the influence of something like fasting, sleep deprivation, or hallucinogens. A good chunk of Yoda’s training involves pushing the trainee into a state of physical and mental exhaustion, then making them stare at rocks for hours - which is some obvious cult initiation stuff. Consequently, reality itself is getting distorted - at times of high stress and intense concentration. Visual hallucinations overtake the auditory.

Episode 6’s thing is theatricality and storytelling: the stuff Luke tells himself to stay sane, the stuff they tell the Ewoks to make them fight, etc.

To that point though, the movie is pointing to the "real" power of the cinema as being one of altered conciousness. It is possible to say Lucas is a big believer in the value of storytelling through an anthropoligical lens and the whole Joseph Campbell kinda thing. Thus the Empire Strikes Back is full of the oldest tricks in the book, puppets and fog and background paintings, and psychically moving a big ship and many partial or differently sized models through trick photography. However, because it is beautiful, everyone is willing to believe it. I think it is the most popular one because of this, and consequently there is the vision quest stuff you mentioned and han solo spends a lot of time playing around in wile e. coyote dreamspace, gets chased by a lizard, a sock puppet, is tortured for comedy etc. But by the end they are fighting in symbolic fire, smoke and fog and red lights. After these thousands of years and staring at a brick wall for two hours, we are enjoying a shadow puppet show and nobody notices, or if they do they enjoy it.

And it's compelling there actually was a guy named yoda on dagobah. How COULD luke's crazed vision have known? How did Hamlet's dad know about the ear poison?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The light from the dagobah system when luke was training is just now reaching us.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I say this christmas, buy your kids a book

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Threepio should have been interrogated by one of the bad guys at some point, and produced no useful information. Imagine Hux or Kylo or any of the suits doing this. Threepio is just a head on a table and he's trying to be helpful and informative but he just isn't. They try jedi mind tricks but it doesn't work. It almost writes itself.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like the big viewscreen the Trade Federation uses to talk to Amidala. When it's vibrating into an image it looks like she's....a PHANTOM!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A real rear end star wars dragon would have been something.

Symbolically speaking, the emperor IS eaten by a dragon in ROTJ when Vader throws him into the core. It mirrors Jabba feeding his subjects to the rancor in the pit, and there's a big belch of fire.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mllaneza posted:

I have good news about The Mandalorian for you.

This is a lame dragon! Dragons talk ancient tongues and have ancient treasures, think men foolish, have to be lulled into thousand year sleeps with enchanted instruments, that kinda thing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

This guy, this is my kind of guy.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When Artoo Deeto is fixing the hyperdrive in phantom menace, he turns and says something to the camera. I assume he's saying something funny or cool, like an action hero, but he's a robot who speaks in squiggles. This is a high level joke.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jewmanji posted:

I just noticed in TPM how hosed up it is that Qui-Gon runs an assay on Anakin’s blood without getting anything even resembling consent. Absolute bullshit.

He runs amok, pretty much. He ignores everybody's requests, is lit dire red when he diverts everybody to tattooine, and I noticed that in a lot of shots, his cloak is lit black or a near black even tho it's "objectively" dark brown. He's where Obi-Wan gets his "point of view" poo poo from when he warns him about what the council said about the boy. He doesn't ask his Shmi before he bets on Anakin's life!

Darko posted:

In case you did not understand the picture posted beneath you, The Bendu is literally exactly what you said to a tee. You've got some stuff to watch.

And yes, Clone Wars has a Godzilla as well.

Edit: how did I miss your response. This response is now for everyone else.

What's next, angels?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is E.T. a Jedi?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

he's the rich failson of the senator(s) that we see in episode 1

Ah, so he can use the force because of his private Jedi tutor.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
They had to dry roddenberry out on a week cycle. They sent him to rehab in the hills on the weekends

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The point of making it a fantasy instead of explicitly nazi germany or vietnam era america is so you can make the connection between them, other similar governments, and start asking constructive questions.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Yoda is force sensitive because he is a puppet. He can feel someone else pulling his strings, and is therefore able to pull the X-wing by its abstract strings, out of the swamp. Like his brother, grover, he teaches children, but not letters just how to kill each other.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I tried playing Sigmata, but it hurt the palms of my hands too much.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I don't think a filmmaker leaving mongo-budget films behind to do smaller work is bad, at all. The next film he makes will probably be good instead of 50% good

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bongo Bill posted:

The films contain so little evidence of what's at stake in this star war that I can find almost any interpretation credible.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'd like a film where the two sides are fighting but where the conflict is affected and resolved by a small furry alien animal trying to find a piece of fruit. Like the ewoks, but he never has any stake in anything and no army wins.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A 2d map of the earth doesnt make sense

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Martman posted:

Sure it does! We all exist on the surface of the earth (plz don't @ me hollow earthers)

The godzilla thread is THAT-a-way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Unless someone can remind me of a line in the OT, no human can understand the details of a beepboop droid beyond inference. Luke's more nuanced responses to artoo are set up with a shot of the translation screen. The sequels immediately break that but I dont really care because it's as out there as han understanding chewie

Anakin of course could kinda understand but could speak perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibahqzkwvXk

He defenitely says, "are you alright? are you alright? luuuke. luuuke."