Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

Yes, apparently it's Park, but it's the guy from the cartoon doing the voice instead of Peter Serafinowicz.

So growly instead of smooth and cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

I actually kinda thought Finn had a good character and arc in TFA (the only one besides Kylo). He's a grunt, see's some serious poo poo on his first mission and realizes he wants no part of this, tries to run away from it all, and finally realizes that you can't just put your head in the sand and let the world burn and that other people do indeed matter to you. One of the many things that make TLJ so aggravating is this entire arc is swept under the rug and Finn is exactly what he was at the start of TFA.

The serious poo poo he sees can't have had that profound of an effect on him since he readily inflicts similarly serious poo poo on his fellow grunts while trying to escape.

Logically the awakening he experiences as his comrade dies in his arms can only have been a lust for stormtrooper blood.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

That may have been true back before the canon reset...but the Story Group has been super big on how everything is of equal weight, continuity wise, now.

Everything is of equal weight to the people who are aware that there is a story group and that they have assigned everything equal weight.

To normal people, the films are the heaviest.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

I saw Solo and it was fine, whatever. But yeah I don’t get how the timeline works with Darth Maul. Is it just “yeah he got better deal with it”? Haven’t read any comic stuff or seen anything outside of movies so don’t know if any new canon fills it in

It's Darth Maul's brother.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

no, official star wars canon character savage oppress does not appear in the film

i don't even know if sassassin knew he existed, i think he was just making a joke

I did know he existed and would have used his name had I remembered it.

The Darth Maul hologram looks off because it's Savage Oppress in disguise. Trust me my uncle's in the story group.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

obi-wan's 'fight' against maul in rebels is ok but i'd have preferred him winning Old Ben Kenobi style rather than being better with a laser sword than the angry guy

like, have maul approach a cloaked silhouette and start monologuing, only to slowly realise it's just an empty cloak, before the ground collapses under him into a punji pit (or a baby sarlaac) and a bunch of tusken raiders turn up and shoot him to death

meanwhile kenobi is several miles away with a smile of grim satisfaction on his face. i should remember that empty-cloak trick for when i fight vader.

I can't imagine any version of Obi-Wan passing up the chance to shittalk someone directly to their face.

I'm gonna be more powerful than you can ever imagine, punk.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Darth Maul died, that's just another member of his species in similar makeup. Y'all are racist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

It's on makeup. He's a red Dathomorian Zabrak. It's just color that his species comes in. The old EU had this whole bullshit about Sith tattoos which led to really ridiculous poo poo in Legacy Comics, but Canon has it as just another species skin color.

There's a guy on the jedi council in TPM with the same horns and stuff though.

Maul was a very showy dude so putting on full dramatic makeup before fights and rooftop meetings seems right up his alley.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mike N Eich posted:

to this day i'll defend the way Darth Maul looks. he does look heckin' cool

that first Phantom Menace movie trailer owned bones. Everything was new and fresh and you didn't know what the gently caress anything was and then bam, this dude comes out looking like the motherfucking devil and he's got a DOUBLE SIDED LIGHTSABER? holy fuckin moly i'm pumped for this movie.

and then the movie comes out and it has no less than three (3) racist stereotypes running around, darth maul is a dumb chump, movie sucks.

Yeah Darth Maul what a chump, only killed one Jedi master.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

Mauls only recognizable features are he’s red, has horns and a double sided lightsaber. He’s got nothing else

Also his smooth very-English voice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tino posted:

The Finn/Rei relationship in TFA was a conspiracy to bait the social progressive and SJW types to get on the wagon, Episode IX will pull the rugs off their feet and Rei will come out as a submissive Nazi lover, because Kethleen Kennidy is master troll secret woman hater something something like that.

Rey is Kathleen Kennedy's self-insert character she's not a troll she just has the hots for Adam Driver.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vinylshadow posted:

Just make Matthew Stover's RotS novelization into a film (which completely omits the Battle of Kashyyyk, sure, but do we really need a Chewbacca cameo?)

His Obi-Wan is a humble paragon of virtue I have no idea why you'd want that over Ewan McGregor or Alec Guiness's versions of the character.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

If the "It was just Dillios' making poo poo up" reading was true everyone wouldn't still be supermodels in speedo's who do things in slow-mo during the last scene. Plus theres the fact that you ignore the hypocrisy of the audience/creators. The world is full of people who vehemently hate "fascism" but support many of it's tenets. Or how people often say things like "While I personally am against throwing babies off cliffs you can't deny society would be better if we did it!" and other instances of Doublethink. Just because Snyder is not a fascist (I assume) and did not make 300 as such doesn't mean elements of it don't exist in the work. Snyder by his own admission was just making a movie about awesome dudes fighting orc ninjas with a vague historical tie-in, but that does't mean unspoken ideas/biases etc. don't influence a creators work. I doubt I would call it fascist, but the movie is definitely right-leaning.

The Spartans don't do slow mo in the last scene. They're just oiled up men in their pants ready to go fight some monsters.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth TNT posted:

Everyone was making me doubt what was real. But he has a mustache. Now I can prove I was paying attention during the movie.

I still can't get over how soft he looks. This is the least intimidating man in existence. Look at those big wet eyes and quivering upper lip.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

Yeah, but once you've put that out there how do you make more Star Wars movies? Once that it's been established by the prequels (and reinforced by TLJ) that the (star) warring will always be cyclical and always be pointless, then what is there left to do but sit and spin?

Do the prequels establish that? Anakin kills the guy who started all the wars for personal gain. Before that there were (said to be) thousands of years or peace.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Weavered posted:

It’s not good but if anything it’s on a par with the PT.

Nah, not having that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

What was the point of Luke dying if he's going still be around and serve the exact same mentor function he served before? Just so he can pop up and troll Kylo Ren (a living monument to his failed legacy) whenever he wants?

So they can have ghosts (plural) like the OT you know and love.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

I think you can cut back and forth and have it be effective (as was the case in ESB and RoTJ and even TPM to a lesser extent), but it’s just too loving long and over the top either way.

I almost would’ve liked it more if the fight lasted three seconds and Obi Wan won by pulling a cheap trick.

Wouldn't really make sense as they both really, really want to fight each other at that point. Winning is secondary to venting a decade of pent up frustrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Worthwhile analysis takes time so lol at all the people itt trying to dunk on review videos for being longer than the thing they're reviewing.

Don't @ me I'm off listening to a 400 hour podcast about The Lord of the Rings.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's obviously just the writer's fetish, don't kinkshame.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

I think part of it, even beyond the obvious misogyny, is how stupid a choice like "Vader kills Everyone who sees his face" is to make for the character. Why the hell would he care?

The writer can't cum unless a stupid woman dies being stupid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Qui Gon was a loon and a cheat who was wrong at practically every turn.

Obi Wan senses the phantom menace in the first two minutes and Qui Gon tells him to shut up and focus on bullying aliens and fighting robots.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ingmar terdman posted:

his future wife is the one that says this lol. Obi does chastise him like a child in front of her earlier though.

Obi's promotion to knighthood and taking on a padawan happens all at once and only after they hastily honor the dying wish of the first guy in their organization to get killed in the line of duty by their old nemesis. They are resistant to both ideas earlier in the film. It's really weird that they make the rare exception to their admission age rules and then also pair him up with someone who has basically just graduated. They're all dumb

Woulda loved to see Luke's face when he found out about Quigon whilst watching the PT

They don't make an exception and pair them up, Obi Wan (a good lad who means well) puts his foot down and says he's going to do it regardless of what they think, because he made a promise to his idiot mentor.

Short of locking him up in Jedi Jail (a real thing in the EU look it up) what was Yoda going to do to stop them? He repeats his official disapproval for the record and gets on with his life.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

That's actually Obi-Wan giving a compliment; "Good call, my young Padawan". He says "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice" when Anakin thinks he's better than Yoda at lightsabering, and also some similar stuff when Anakin's trying to impress Padme by apparently exceeding their mandate early in the film.

The way that scene plays out is that it starts with Obi-Wan and Anakin in the elevator with a bit of friendly joking and stuff, and then when they meet Padme, Anakin starts acting in a way Obi-Wan clearly isn't used to. The idea isn't that they're acting like that towards each other all the time, though I hear some people read it as Obi-Wan was actually also trying to impress Padme by showing who's in charge...

Anakin read it that way for sure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

banned from Starbucks posted:

Apparently when you do the lightsaber thing theres some special random black lightsaber crystals that they only put out a certain number of each hour/day so you're supposed to feel special or whatever when you find a rare black one but turns out nerds are just going around shining flashlights into all the containers until they find the rare ones and ebaying them.

Good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Obi-Wan was literally always a liar and manipulator from his introduction in the first film.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jiro posted:

I mean sure Mace definitely hosed, but Lando is obviously is his one and only progeny.

Mace is too angry and too much a stickler for the letter of the law (rather than its spirit) to gently caress. He's clearly frustrated and doesn't understand why The Jedi Code isn't helping. Which is why Sheev found it so easy to manipulate him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

not enough attention is paid to the fact that gungans are extremely obvious blackface

woof a lot to unpack here

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

Deleted scene and all, but Qui-Gon takes Anakin to get it removed, and in the same scene are found by one of Darth Mauls little Probe Droids. That's also the reason for that awkward cut to them running to the ship in a panic, they're supposed to be trying to flee because they know the bad guys have tracked them down. As it is in the theatrical cut there's just this awkward jump from them casually leaving to them fleeing in terror toward the ship for no apparent reason.

They had a bad feeling.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Moose King posted:

Possibility 1: Kef Bir is just another moon of Endor, the wreckage got blasted over there instead of just falling on the forest moon

Possibility 2: The wreckage stayed in orbit and the rebels/republic towed it over to Kef Bir and dumped it in the ocean for some reason

Possibility 3 (my money's on this one): JJ has a history of baffling mistakes regarding the scale of space, so Kef Bir and Endor are completely unrelated and no reason is given in the movie for why the wreckage is on a different planet, leaving Pablo or whoever to have to come up with some technobabble nonsense to explain it in the Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary

The move the debris every few years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cynical references to other media to generate attention and cash is the entire reason her character exists and this thread is proof of how well it works.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

Shattered Glass IS fantastic but it also shows his best role was sniveling scumbag dweeb Darth Vader

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Payndz posted:

It would also have made his building A: a sentient robot, and B: the jet-powered equivalent of a championship-winning F1 car, out of scrounged scrap a bit easier to swallow at 17 than at 8.

It's not like he invented C3PO from scratch, he comes as a kit. We're shown another mass production protocol droid in the opening sequence. Lego technic ages 9-12.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arkannoyed posted:

Why do you keep doing this?

It's his name. FN-2187. Like C3PO is "Threepio's" name.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clipperton posted:

"threepio" and "artoo" are canonical character names so not sure why this would be a sticking point

Canon isn't real.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pospysyl posted:

Disney thinks that you need to rehash the original trilogy to get people to like their Star Wars movies, but Maclunkey shows that all they really needed was an alien saying something silly in a funny voice.

As viral marketing campaigns go it's not a bad effort.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The moral of the last Star Wars is that rebels are scum.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s the objection?

Watching the films is cheating.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
they fly now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU