Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

snoremac posted:

According to the wiki, the author of the surely unbiased Civilization: The West and the Rest.

I liked that book >_>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Civilization: The West and the Rest

Book by Niall Ferguson

Niall Ferguson is funny because he's poo poo but also more recently lost his teaching gig for conspiring with a conservative students club for some pathetic reason I can't remember

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That book was awhile ago though so I dunno what he's been up to but the book itself is a solid perspective.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oh right it was to own the libs,

quote:

Niall Ferguson, the conservative British historian and political commentator, has resigned from a key position on a US university free speech programme after leaked emails revealed that he urged a group of Republican students to conduct “opposition research” on a leftwing student.
“Unite against the [social justice warriors],” he instructed students in another email, urging them “to bury whatever past differences they may have for the common good”.

Rice-Cameron replies: “Slowly, we will continue to crush the left’s will to resist, as they will crack under pressure.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/02/niall-ferguson-quits-stanford-free-speech-role-over-leaked-emails

His thing about KILLER APPS is real sad and dumb too

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

conduct “opposition research” on a leftwing student

That is super hosed up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh, he became a idiot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why has nobody pointed out to these fuckwhittles that the only reason reusable bags might be unhygienic is because customers are disgusting pigs?

Rotten fruit and cockroaches in the bags? How did they get there, then? It wasn't during the few minutes the checkout chick was touching them, was it?

People don't go to court for attacking retail workers.

He assaulted her.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's OK to like bad fiction. I've read a bunch of Clive cussler stuff, myself

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume they got the story [about Gichuhi's financial issues] from somewhere else.

Since they don't appear to have stolen the story from another media organisation my guess is that someone who wants to hurt her preselection chances has been doing some digging.

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/1012937330384965632

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People don't go to court for attacking retail workers.

You have to steal something during it or it doesn't count.

Or rather, investigating further will only waste precious police resources on helping proles instead of capitalists.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow they're evil geniuses.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I wonder if she'll jump to the Nick Xenophon Fence Sitter Party or (hilarious option) One Nation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's just like, comedy level getting chewed up by politics.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Think about it. With the stroke of a pen, the Senate could ban single-use condoms. How many whales porpoises dolphins and turtles would be saved from that cruel fate. But there is another upside, to coin a phrase: the same ban would spoil the friendly intercourse that unites the members of most political parties at their conventions, especially those left-wing cathedrals of morality, the Greens and the ALP.

accidentally made the left sound rad again

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

bandaid.friend posted:

accidentally made the left sound rad again

The left are flat out fuckin’

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What do you have to do to get DayZ refunded, we talked about it in this thread a while back.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
By 2020 Foxtel is switching all their pay TV services to satellite. Why? Because the NBN is too expensive and that satellite is "the best option for high quality video images watched on the large screens in homes and other venues".

https://www.finder.com.au/foxtel-moving-cable-customers-to-satellite

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Periphery posted:

By 2020 Foxtel is switching all their pay TV services to satellite. Why? Because the NBN is too expensive and that satellite is "the best option for high quality video images watched on the large screens in homes and other venues".

lmao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Periphery posted:

Can't wait to see the huge complaints that spawn whenever it is either a cloudy day or there's a thunderstorm. Satellite Internet and Pay TV suuuuucks

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Periphery posted:

Except if it's cloudy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Periphery posted:

incredible

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ABCRural/status/1012527893237436417

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Can't wait to see the huge complaints that spawn whenever it is either a cloudy day or there's a thunderstorm. Satellite Internet and Pay TV suuuuucks

I think there's more to this than Foxtel being stupid. No way they didn't consult with their biggest shareholders *cough* Telstra *cough* et. al., or it was "suggested" by them. It's some dumb circling-the-wagons poo poo sure, but you look at the current board, there is a strong contingent of Sky UK imports as well as the News Corpses. Sky UK are obsessed with box hacking, to the point that they hacked their own cards to screw with jailbroken boxes. Might it be easier to control a satellite box than a cable box?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RIP bees, our mite free hives are the only thing keeping bees from going extinct globally

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is the result of Labor's weak border protection policies.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Sources reveal the mites went undetected after border security was unable to see through a reusable bag.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

snoremac posted:

Sources reveal the mites went undetected after border security was unable to see through a reusable bag.

Laughed at this irl

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how'd it arrive on a boat

if the boats were stopped

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

You have to steal something during it or it doesn't count.

Or rather, investigating further will only waste precious police resources on helping proles instead of capitalists.

Yeah, this.

Sadly.

To paraphrase Raul Julia, "A retail worker being abused and assaulted isn't crime. It's Tuesday."

The only way a worker can expect any kind of justice is if the security tapes get leaked after being shared around for a laugh by management. Or a customer records it on their phone and it ends up on Today Tonight.

Then the company has to to something.

Otherwise the only response you can expect is "Please make sure you follow our 'Dealing with Aggressive Customers' policy* more thoroughly in future. We won't fire you this time, but don't let it happen again. Also, when you get out of hospital for the injuries to your neck where you were strangled from behind, please come in so you can sign this form which shows that you understand this. This form also counts as a written warning."

* Policy written by someone who has never worked with the public a day in their lives.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 30, 2018

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Not to downplay the significance of this, but don't they already check bee hives that hitchhike on shipping containers and destroy local hives within whatever radius to limit the spread of this kind of stuff?

I seem to remember ret something about this recently.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

Not to downplay the significance of this, but don't they already check bee hives that hitchhike on shipping containers and destroy local hives within whatever radius to limit the spread of this kind of stuff?

I seem to remember ret something about this recently.

https://twitter.com/nikolaibeilharz/status/1012521706890522624

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

That's good. Stay safe bees.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

I think there's more to this than Foxtel being stupid. No way they didn't consult with their biggest shareholders *cough* Telstra *cough* et. al., or it was "suggested" by them. It's some dumb circling-the-wagons poo poo sure, but you look at the current board, there is a strong contingent of Sky UK imports as well as the News Corpses. Sky UK are obsessed with box hacking, to the point that they hacked their own cards to screw with jailbroken boxes. Might it be easier to control a satellite box than a cable box?

Not sure on the technicalities to cable boxes, but I know of at least one friend who got suckered into getting rid of his Foxtel cable box so Foxtel could provide him with the "cheaper" satellite option.

When he told me this, and asked if it was the right decision, I told him of the negatives about satellite. He was very pissed off that the salesperson didn't mention that. Strangely enough.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My first act as Prime Minister will be to ban any IPA shitheads from all forms of media

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cutting wages is good, cutting taxes for corporations is good, but I suddenly care about poor people when it comes to 15c loving bags

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Someone make a new thread I'm too mad

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Isn't satellite even easier to steal? You just get your family/mate to rent an extra box on their account, buy a dish from Jaycar and look up where to point it on the internet.

You pay your mate/family for the box rental which is a fraction of the price of an actual subscription.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

Isn't satellite even easier to steal? You just get your family/mate to rent an extra box on their account, buy a dish from Jaycar and look up where to point it on the internet.

You pay your mate/family for the box rental which is a fraction of the price of an actual subscription.

Which is a lot more than sharing the extra screens on Netflix/Stan subscriptions.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What do you have to do to get DayZ refunded, we talked about it in this thread a while back.

Can't use the refund ticket system as that's actually automatic. Start up some other ticket for the game, tell them you didn't request a refund earlier because you thought Steam didn't allow refunds/didn't allow them after their 'time frame' but the game was a broke piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The union should have stop-worked me from making a July thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861878