Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

I disagree with her politics and I know they're trying to make her sound like a dodgy gently caress but all I'm getting from this article is "Kenyan-born lady may have been poor prior to getting a highly paid job".

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Before Times posted:

I mean the only reason Hinch ever ran for parliament was so he could read out the names of pedophiles under parliamentary privilege (note this is bad primarily because it can make their victims or families easier to identify, which for privacy reasons you don't want to happen).

Didn't he sleep with an underage girl too?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

wait wait did they accidentally abolish all income tax from 2024

kind of

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

*uncannily accurate Edna Krabappel laugh*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/1009334273575305217

Stuck around St Petersburg when I saw it was time for a change...

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
toys for rear end bum

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

So they really are going scorched earth for the ALP to clean up when they get into power. "We legislated no income tax for everyone and now the devious fucks in the ALP want to take it away."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some of the changes are so far ahead that Shorten could be a 2-term PM and still not have to deal with them directly.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Embattled Liberal senator Lucy Gichuhi was taken to court seven times for failing to pay $8,359 worth of council rates and $1,372 in water bills.

Court documents obtained exclusively by Daily Mail Australia show the Kenyan-born federal MP faced legal action from City of Port Adelaide Enfield council, Whyalla City Council and the South Australian Water Corporation in 2013, 2014 and 2017.

The Turnbull Government senator, who is on a $203,000 salary, was ordered by local court magistrates to pay $9,731 in seven unpaid bills, related to two investment properties in Adelaide and one in regional Whyalla.

One unpaid council bill went to court just three weeks before she was sworn in last year as a senator, and another bill was taken to a magistrate four months after she became a member of Parliament.

See it wouldn't surprise me to see a Lib/conservative thinking bills are below them (see: Bob Day, same party) but also it's the Daily Mail so I automatically think it's made up.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this broken hill posted:

toys for rear end bum

agreed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

See it wouldn't surprise me to see a Lib/conservative thinking bills are below them (see: Bob Day, same party) but also it's the Daily Mail so I automatically think it's made up.

I assume they got the story from somewhere else.

Since they don't appear to have stolen the story from another media organisation my guess is that someone who wants to hurt her preselection chances has been doing some digging.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This is absolutely a factional hack job from the right, because they don't want a johnnie come lately black woman sitting in a preselection spot that has already been promised to a white man from the machinery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NTRabbit posted:

This is absolutely a factional hack job from the right, because they don't want a johnnie come lately black woman sitting in a preselection spot that has already been promised to a white man from the machinery.

Isn't she a factional hack right wing Jesus nut case

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait what.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's fair. Of course they'd pick a publication that only right wing arseholes could possibly believe

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Two factional right wing hacks can hate each other

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Her multiple investment properties.

Yeah fair enough there, but if I learned anything from the banking royal commission it's that not everyone who got on the investment property gravy train is making out like the bandit they intended to be.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Two factional right wing hacks can hate each other

That's pretty much all the Australian publishes when it's not publishing hatchet peices blaming the ABC / Labour / Greens for all that is wrong in the world.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JBP posted:

She was in Family First, so while she's a right wing nut job, she's an outsider who was tacked on by someone in Liberal party management who recruited her for the public win and the optics, and the right doesn't want her.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G-Spot Run posted:

Yeah fair enough there, but if I learned anything from the banking royal commission it's that not everyone who got on the investment property gravy train is making out like the bandit they intended to be.
Yeah but it isn't for lack of trying, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

right on right violence exists

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol at the people in this thread who think that the LNP line of “labor hates aspiration and the australian dream” isn’t going to work

they’ll probably lose the next election but I wouldn’t be surprised by a one term ALP government

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

right on right violence exists

In this case I'd say it's... white on right :smuggo:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Issue is LNP has no one leadership material in the ranks after Turnbull. Shorten can easily play the status quo.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Issue is LNP has no one leadership material in the ranks after Turnbull. Shorten can easily play the status quo.

I'm pretty sure Dutton is cleaning his knife of all that immigrant blood so Turnbull can have an honorable knifing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I disagree. Peter Dutton may lose his seat.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I disagree. Peter Dutton may lose his seat.

God if only

Problem is it doesn't matter if the next leader is a complete numpty, the Murdoch press will back them to the hilt. Lest we forget the "Australia needs Tony" front page. gently caress. Still makes my blood boil.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Murdoch will only back a winner.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Murdoch will only back a winner.

they'll only back Labor if it looks like they'll win, then they'll go straight back to backing the Libs as soon as possible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I disagree, there is some good in papa's heart!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Next leader will be someone like Bishop or (comedy option) Andrews who tries to pick up the pieces before being knifed for Porter or Dutton.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

That's if he's not on his death bed already. When was the last time he was seen in public?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Papa Murdle.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Is he still alive? No one has seen him since his "accident" and the only communication method he's supposedly used is email.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Is he still alive? No one has seen him since his "accident" and the only communication method he's supposedly used is email.

*corrects giant turban*

He is still alive.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Dutton probably will lose his seat. It's not safe Liberal and he's hated enough that he only held it by a small margin in 2016. Even with the gerrymandering minor distribution, he could still lose it. If Labor actually wanted, they could expose the true extent of his evil acts upon taking govt. and make sure he doesn't get re-elected (although they'll stop short of referring him to the ICC over crimes against humanity which is a shame).

My biggest issue with Labor messaging at the moment goes back to the statement on the previous page with regard to the massive economic stagnation as a direct result of the coalition's austerity policies, mirroring similar economic decline experienced in the UK.

Labor have been totally toothless on this, when it's a pretty massive stick to beat them with. Wages are down, growth is negligible; the country is performing poorly on every economic metric available, and if the RBA would stop moving the goalposts we'd probably be in a recession already. A re-distribution of funding away from tax cuts for multinationals, funding for vanity projects and ripping services and safety nets away from people with increasingly fewer housing and employment options would help that. Improving cost of living pressures by taking the jackboots off the neck of the enterprise bargaining process (or even better, allowing industry bargaining again) would result in the money starting to flow back into retail and hospo once again, which in turn creates more easily accessible local employment.

Infrastructure projects that aren't explicitly geared to reward party donors create jobs. Proper planning to kickstart new industries like lithium batteries and PV/other clean energy stuff, like what the Gillard govt. was trying to do before a population of idiots decided that we needed a fist to the rectum for a change will help lift us out of the doldrums.

But they're not loving talking about it.

Also I'm less concerned about the Murdoch media, and more concerned about the FTA tv stations, ABC and Fairfax, who all give the Liberals a free ride in 2013 and 2016. Honesty is a huge problem in this country and I don't know what we can do about that.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Julie Bishop.

Jesus Christ, when did this thread get so naive? Do you not remember the atmosphere when Kevin Rudd won in 2007? It was such a landslide the sitting PM lost his seat. The LNP was so bereft of talent their leader became Brendan Nelson of all people. After the next election, Labor was a minority in both Houses of Parliament.

Just lol if you think the LNP is going to lose this tax war. They’ve already won.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

Julie Bishop.

Jesus Christ, when did this thread get so naive? Do you not remember the atmosphere when Kevin Rudd won in 2007? It was such a landslide the sitting PM lost his seat. The LNP was so bereft of talent their leader became Brendan Nelson of all people. After the next election, Labor was a minority in both Houses of Parliament.

Just lol if you think the LNP is going to lose this tax war. They’ve already won.

lmao now who’s naive

(it u)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I am extremely wise !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Julie "I wrecked forgien policy for 2 decades" bishop