Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Saving nuclear plants is a good thing though. Although as usual with Trump that good thing is entirely accidental.

Any resemblance to actual policy is purely coincidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's actually a Juche coloring book.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

No it isn't, by your own quote. Where is swimming career mentioned?

I think at this point you guys are just kind of talking past each other. Let's meet in the middle and agree that while the judge didn't specifically mention the swimming career, he was worried that a longer sentence would have a negative impact on this poor boy who was just convicted of rape.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
IHOP saw this conversation coming.

https://twitter.com/IHOP/status/1003682801042915328

International House of Bancakes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The National Guard is weird. A few NG units have Confederate Army battle honors in their official lineage because of how the Militia Act of 1903 worked.

Yeah, the unit I deployed to Iraq with is one of those. They trace their lineage to a unit that formed in 1799, captured Aaron Burr, fought at New Orleans, fought in Mexico under Jefferson Davis, fought for the Confederacy, etc.

If they were as screwed up back then as they were when I was with them, it's no wonder the south lost the war.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Trump said he might pardon Muhammad Ali.

Who doesn’t need a pardon because his conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court.

47 years ago

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

On :ice:

More of a history question though...

At what point in the late 1930s did the gestapo go from legitimate police agents of a sovereign nation to criminals. Because there was obviously some moral transition point before war kicked off where they weren’t yet legally war criminals but still guilty of crimes against humanity.

And at what point could they theoretically have rolled back their policies and been forgiven for their violent indiscretions.

Strictly speaking I'd say they became criminals in May of 1945.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Lake of Methane posted:

Do we know if Melania has a touch of the 'tism?

She lets Donnie touch her from time to time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fister Roboto posted:

Probably because he was the last pre-Southern Strategy Republican president. Every one after him was riding the racism wave.

Here's another fun presidential fact: it's been nearly 30 years since a non-incumbent Republican president has won the popular vote.

Yeah, but the Democrats should have known going in that no Clinton has ever won a majority of the popular vote.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

this would make a great shirt IMO

No.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
When I was at Ole Miss, I took a class on the Civil War and the professor had a little lecture that started getting the southerners in the class all riled up.

"On April 15th, 1861, Abraham Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers to be raised for 90 days to put down the rebellion. Now, remember, the US Army at this time was less than 20,000 officers and men. 75,000! That's more than triple the size of the standing US Army!" The southerners were all "yeah! That warmonger! Robble robble!" The professor continued.

"EXCEPT! This was after Fort Sumter had been attacked! And this was AFTER the Confederacy authorized the raising of 100,000 volunteers for ONE YEAR!"

They shut up after that. The notion of Abraham Lincoln the warmonger and the so-called "War of Northern Aggression" came crashing down around them and it was amazing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

GoGoGadget posted:

That professor? Albert Einstein

Actually, his name is John Neff. I think he's still teaching there.

He does that little lecture every time he teaches the class probably because he enjoys the look of confusion on the faces of the kids who grew up learning the Civil War was about states' rights and the North were the aggressors blah blah.

I know I would.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This administration is completely unoriginal. There was a story line in the West Wing where the press secretary got Secret Service protection like 16 years ago.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bell_ posted:

While we're at it, clone John Brown for Attorney General.

Hell no. John Brown was too stupid to realize that if you were going to start a slave revolt, you should probably go someplace that had a lot of slaves.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

aphid_licker posted:

He looks insanely like Huckabee

Ever notice that you've never seen them both at the same place at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

Have you ever seen me and Trump in the same place at the same time? :tinfoil:

Yeah, but Trump doesn't like doOOOHMYGOD IT'S THE PERFECT COVER

• Locked thread