Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

for all the talk of how racist and barbarous the usa is, its really really really really funny to live on a block in texas alongside most latin american ethnicities that exist, north africans, caribs, indians, pakistanis, sudanese, ghanans, bangladeshis, burmese, and regular-rear end black americans

and then continental europe is having an existential freakout over maybe having a dark-skinned neighbor one day.
come on, now. we're all racist, barbarous fucks

another example of the world continuing to be a gently caress: Denmark wants to pass laws forcibly integrating "ghetto children" (their words, not mine) into Danish society

quote:

Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.

Denmark’s government is introducing a new set of laws to regulate life in 25 low-income and heavily Muslim enclaves, saying that if families there do not willingly merge into the country’s mainstream, they should be compelled.

Politicians’ description of the ghettos has become increasingly sinister. In his annual New Year’s speech, Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen warned that ghettos could “reach out their tentacles onto the streets” by spreading violence, and that because of ghettos, “cracks have appeared on the map of Denmark.” Politicians who once used the word “integration” now call frankly for “assimilation.”

That tough approach is embodied in the “ghetto package.” Of 22 proposals presented by the government in early March, most have been agreed upon by a parliamentary majority, and more will be subject to a vote in the fall.

Some are punitive: One measure under consideration would allow courts to double the punishment for certain crimes if they are committed in one of the 25 neighborhoods classified as ghettos, based on residents’ income, employment status, education levels, number of criminal convictions and “non-Western background.” Another would impose a four-year prison sentence on immigrant parents who force their children to make extended visits to their country of origin — described here as “re-education trips” —in that way damaging their “schooling, language and well-being.” Another would allow local authorities to increase their monitoring and surveillance of “ghetto” families.

Some proposals have been rejected as too radical, like one from the far-right Danish People’s Party that would confine “ghetto children” to their homes after 8 p.m. (Challenged on how this would be enforced, Martin Henriksen, the chairman of Parliament’s integration committee, suggested in earnest that young people in these areas could be fitted with electronic ankle bracelets.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i google search for news from italy every day to make myself feel not alone. salvini sure hates migrant boats and loves to get into pissing matches with malta about them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Next year's european elections are going to be something
we're not done with this year yet, sweden's parliamentary elections are in a couple of months and the sweden democrats are the second most popular party according to polls. strap in mother fuckers :getin:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in light of merkel's fading leadership, conventional wisdom types in the media think that sebastian kurz is the next to be europe's enlightened leader. he's the chancellor of austria, the EU's president til the end of the year, someone trying to forge closer bonds with the vizegrad group (hungary, poland, czech republic, and slovakia), and a guy who thinks that allying with the Freedom Party is a good idea

there is no escape

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is fine

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

think of italy as the idiotic parts of california put into a whole country

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twoday posted:

:angryitalianchef:
that picture behind the text owns and deserves to be posted separately

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:discourse:

lmao at the text covering up the "ZION" patch

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

A Dees image is a very, very odd choice, and "Svegliamoci dal torpore!" while a perfectly grammatically correct sentence, sounds quite "off". This is almost certainly foreign propaganda
what does the government care, they make Trump look like a hawk on Russia

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

note if you talk about the brits in here you will be probated. this thread respects the democratic will of the british people to brexit
mods? mods?!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twoday posted:

I find the Visegrad Group to be an interesting phenomenon within the EU in recent years. Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, and Slovakia created the V4 as an initiative to work more closely on matters of defense, economics, etc. The countries share some cultural heritage and currently have governments with similar political beliefs in power (which I am not a fan of). Functioning as a cohesive clique within the EU they have a lot more influence and are more capable of achieving common goals than they would have as isolated countries. It echoes the strategy of the Benelux taken long ago. I think such groupings are a good way to decentralize power within the EU, and counterbalance excessive German influence, while also allowing for a greater degree of sovereignty than say the hypothetical reestablishment of the Austro-Hungarian Empire as an EU member state. It is probably a better way for these countries to achieve their goals than in a totally federal europe or an "every man for himself" Europe. Not sure to what degree this can be or already is implemented in other parts of Europe, though I believe the Scandanavians are doing something similar to a lesser degree.
this is just a system of alliances that europe has done for centuries, albeit under the framework of a continent-wide bureaucracy. between the Visegrad Group consisting of democratic governments that are either dying or dead and an Austrian government minister calling for a "Rome-Berlin-Vienna axis," this will probably not end well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twoday posted:

Nevertheless projects such as the Polish anime tank continue to de developed

https://twitter.com/Bellagiotime/status/1030638285331333122?s=19
holy poo poo it's a real life version of a tank from this old arcade game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSAaMH5hiw

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad we could help you out, twoday :)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol salvini is being investigated for kidnapping based on his standoff with the various refugee boats he refuses to open the doors to

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/CyprusToday/status/1036878599142481921?s=20

I guess in the new technocracy you will have to bribe programmers instead of officials
this is austerity pusher's wet dream

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

62% of italians approve of the Conte/Salvini/Di Maio government. meanwhile the Lega is more popular than the M5S and the PD keeps bleeding support. incredibly good poo poo down there

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mila kunis posted:

whats the government's economic policies like?
it's unclear, given that their economic promises are going to crash headfirst into the EU's neoliberal budget regulations. but i'd wager they'll jettison a lot of them very quickly when push comes to shove

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Macron as much as I'd like, having failed French in school, but he really seems like a peek into the universe where Hillary won.
so is canada

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i completely forgot that Sweden had an election, i thought it was in early October. the good news is that the Sweden Democrats didn't make gains as big as expected. the bad news is that they still got more seats while the two parties ahead of them lost a few. the status quo is still in effect, for now

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Sep 17, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this guy sounds like a winner

quote:

The board of the Italian state broadcaster, Rai, has for a second time nominated Marcello Foa, a Eurosceptic journalist who has often shared stories proved to be fake, to be its president.

The nomination will now be put to the parliamentary committee that oversees Rai on Tuesday, where support for Foa’s candidacy is believed to be building.

Foa, who also holds anti-gay, anti-immigration, anti-vaccine and pro-Russia views, has been pushed for the role by the governing coalition of the far-right League and the anti-establishment Five Star Movement (M5S).

The M5S leader, Luigi Di Maio, said Foa would help purge the “parasites” installed by mainstream parties who had led Rai for decades.

There is speculation that Berlusconi’s new stance is linked to his business interests. He owns the rival media company Mediaset, and Foa was a journalist at his newspaper, Il Giornale.

“Foa is a Berlusconi man, he worked for him … and now that Berlusconi is reviving Forza Italia [within the centre-right alliance] it works for him,” said a media industry source. “It will be like an extension of his other media interests – with Foa, Berlusconi can try to influence Rai.”

The source said Foa’s appointment was likely to be detrimental for journalism in Italy. “Foa is a guy who is really in love with the Catholic religion, he hates the EU and loves Russia and Putin, so all of these are red signals that it will be bad for information.”

Foa has also repeatedly criticised the Italian president, Sergio Mattarella. When Foa was first mooted for the Rai role, the journalists’ unions FNSI and Usigrai described the potential appointment as “a fatal blow to the autonomy and independence of the public service”.

Fake stories shared by Foa on social media have included one during the 2016 US presidential election campaign about Hillary Clinton participating in satanic dinners and another about a supposed plan to overthrow Donald Trump.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

even greenwald is falling into the trap where its macron vs the far right. melenchon is the most popular pol in france atm
and bernie sanders is the most popular pol in the US right now, but both countries have political systems that were designed to keep the left out of elite politics

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why are portugal and spain non-participants in the western march to the populist right? did they get all the white ethnostate nationalism out of their systems five hundred years ago?

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Sep 26, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

the nationalist, eurosceptic, and anti-globalist party, the Portuguese Communist Party
say what now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

I don't think you "get" Italy's new government. It's pure, unfiltered volk and, just like a hundred years ago, we might be breaking new and exciting ground in authoritarianism
every day i look at google news for the latest on what's going on in italy, because it makes me feel better about the american political environment. that guy who's now in charge of italy's state broadcaster seems extra loving bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a pro-refugee italian mayor has been placed under house arrest for setting up "marriages of convenience" for immigrant women, fraudulent waste disposal contracts, and helping illegal migration. the more serious charges against him, which were fiscal-related, have been dropped

:thunk:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

salvini isn't even trying to hide his horrific racism

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

macron looked at salvini arresting the migrant friendly mayor and decided "two can play at that game, mon ami"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Joseance posted:

there are so many good names for italy leaving the EU
portmanteaus with "exit" sound kind of disgusting and i am all for "italadercci"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Whoever coined Brexit deserves death
blame the person who coined "Grexit," which sounds even more disgusting

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not reading Eve Peyser, even though the article concept is good

hey, how about that march in Poland? woof

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

somebody set an over/under on how long it will take for Identity Evropa people to twist "true european army" to their own definition. also this is a terrible loving idea

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

at least germany has the right idea to counter a rising authoritarian right tide. still, i would expect AfD to do well in the former east germany, which is their base

meanwhile in italy, it'll rule if re-requiring mandatory MMR vaccines ends up being the first blow against the Lega/M5S coalition

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gotta keep it hidden until you get to meet him, buddy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought macron has never lifted the state of emergency that he enacted after that rash of terrorist attacks earlier this year

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i stand corrected about the italian government softening their anti-vax stance. lmao forever

also, salvini is a really dumb mother fucker

quote:

An Italian prosecutor on Tuesday took the unusual step of criticizing the interior minister, claiming one of his tweets about "Nigerian mafia arrests" was compromising a police operation.

Anti-immigration Salvini, who is also deputy prime minister and a big user of social media, tweeted about a swoop on the Italian mafia in Sicily and immediately afterwards about the "arrest in Turin of 15 other Nigerian mafia members".

However, the chief prosecutor in the northern city, Armando Spataro, said in a statement that while there were 15 arrest warrants, they were not all for mafia-related crimes and, most notably, not all the suspects had yet been arrested.

The Puppet Master posted:

they are going to spend 115 million euros to just be needlessly cruel to ~100 people

you can't put a price on hate
the people's party aren't even trying to hide it
https://twitter.com/DanskDf1995/sta...emote-island%2F

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Dec 5, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a friend of mine from belgium just arrived in NYC so she can do grad school, but she spent a lot of time in spain and feels very bitter about her time there. i learned from her that they have their very own far-right party (Vox), so i looked them up and they did better than expected in the andalusia regional elections

spanish goons: how long will it take before they hit the big time?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dawncloack posted:

Imo, next election cycle there will be 3 right wing parties of equal weighr.in parliament and they will be one of them.

That's this year. What with news cycle after news cycle centering on migrants.
the more spain takes in refugees to pick up the slack for italy, the worst it's probably gonna get. would the more established right-wing parties hesitate to bring them into a coalition? they're definitely on the same page when it comes to centralizing power to madrid

related: why is spain's federalism so half-assed?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

italy is my favorite country to keep track of

they evicted 500 people from a refugee camp. also the M5S appointed a guy who made sex comedies in the '70s and '80s to a UNESCO commission

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can't wait for him to fail miserably as president so that nazis take power in the next election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

All the Nazis are in crimea my dude. They don't vote in Ukrainian elections.
they're out on the streets, though. nazis are an inevitable everywhere in the world at this point