Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, fact is, it doesn't matter how qualified Alm is, he's a filthy commoner, so Fernand wants nothing to do with him. Never mind that he's the grandson of their nation's greatest hero, not to mention heir to whatever titles Mycen still held claim to, he grew up in a village, where people do their own work. Like savages. Whatever other bullshit reasons Fernand comes up with is just cover for that irrational hatred. It's actually a pretty realistic portrayal of bigotry, for a video game made for children (though it wouldn't be a first for Fire Emblem, given some scenes in the Radiant games).
Man if Ferdinand flipped his poo poo over Alm I'd love to see how hard he'd melt down over some of the more colorful characters in other Fire Emblem armies.

"Okay so this is Gonzales, he's a Brigand that Princess Lilina recruited on the Western Isles. He's can't speak English very good and he's, uh... missing some teeth. But he kills dragons pretty good. He also sat on a mountain and single-handedly took out a quarter of Bern's Dragon rider army."

"Okay so this is Nino, a former mage of the Black Fang, and this scary-looking guy next to her is Jaffar, the Angel of Death. Jaffar doesn't talk much, but we just give him a few Killing Edges and point him towards the enemy, and he does the rest. I'd advise against any hurtful remarks about Nino, or Jaffar might slip a dagger in your back before you know what happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"This is Lyon. He is an honest-to-god actual necromancer, and he raised the Demon King to conquer the world, but we found him in this weird-rear end tower. Don't question it."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

"Fernand, allow me to introduce Haar. He's a Wyvern Lord from Daein and yes a wyvern is sorta kinda a dragon and sorta kinda not. It's weird, but...yes, that is indeed Haar snoring. Yes, he can still function as a flying tank. No, I do not know how he is able to hold chokepoints while fast asleep, Haar just does that. Trust me, he has not let us down yet."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You guys are really over thinking this. If you want to piss off Fernand you just say "this is Soren, he's a gutter-orphan who's skilled enough with magic and tactics to be the chief strategist of a group of similarly non-noble mercenaries who kick everyone's butts and save the world twice."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

You guys are really over thinking this. If you want to piss off Fernand you just say "this is Soren, he's a gutter-orphan who's skilled enough with magic and tactics to be the chief strategist of a group of similarly non-noble mercenaries who kick everyone's butts and save the world twice."

I feel like Soren isn't a good choice because unknown to him he is actually the son of royalty.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Soren isn't a good choice because unknown to him he is actually the son of royalty.

wonder how fernand would react to like, the FE4 gen 2 cast who find out they're actually nobility

"see this mercenary who works for an orphanage and this petty thief? well see their mom's actually the heir to a dukedom"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wonder how fernand would react to like, the FE4 gen 2 cast who find out they're actually nobility

"see this mercenary who works for an orphanage and this petty thief? well see their mom's actually the heir to a dukedom"

"This is Chrom, Prince of Ylisse and rightful... No! Chrom, you're supposed to peel the orange first!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah but nobody figures that out unless you have some incredibly specific support conversations at the right time and, if I remember right, a combat conversation that's likely to get Soren killed. Anyway, "son of a king who used me as bait for a dragon, then forced me upon a nurse who hated the burden and sold me to a sage, after he died I went feral and Ike was the only person nice to me so I hunted him down years later and swore loyalty to his family" isn't bad in its own right.

Fernand may think he has a sob story, but Soren EARNED his right to be a jerk-rear end.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 19, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

"This is Chrom, Prince of Ylisse and rightful... No! Chrom, you're supposed to peel the orange first!"
"This is Lissa, Chrom's sister. She's a magic user, but lately she's gotten very good at smacking people in the face with giant axes. You can ask our Tactician how "Second Seals" work just as soon as they finish eating bear meat with Chrom. Yes, that's wild bear meat, what kind of meat did you think it was?"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Awakening cast in general would probably cause Fernand to start foaming at the mouth.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

"This is Lissa, Chrom's sister. She's a magic user, but lately she's gotten very good at smacking people in the face with giant axes. You can ask our Tactician how "Second Seals" work just as soon as they finish eating bear meat with Chrom. Yes, that's wild bear meat, what kind of meat did you think it was?"

"also where did the tactician come from? who the gently caress knows man"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

The Awakening cast in general would probably cause Fernand to start foaming at the mouth.
If that results in a chance for Henry to troll the poo poo out of Fernand with bad puns, I will gladly accept this outcome.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fernand: it is an honor to meet one such as you, prince chrom.

Chrom: And you Fernand, another brave warrior is always welcome here.

Fernand(Internal monologue): oh thank god! It's good to be amongst those who understand pedigree and class again after leaving that betrayer Clive!

??????: yeeeeeeeehaw!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Bruceski posted:

I don't think it was supposed to make him sympathetic, it sounded like an excuse people make for why they hang out with douchebags/abusers IRL.

Ding-ding-ding.

Fernand is exactly the sort of person you see out in the streets, blaming whatever marginalized group is most convenient for all of their problems, usually pointing to a single bad experience that involved (almost always by coincidence of lovely people being everywhere, rather than specific dint of their identity) a person or persons from that group.

Eating a 90-damage critical at some point later in the game to own the poors.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah but nobody figures that out unless you have some incredibly specific support conversations at the right time and, if I remember right, a combat conversation that's likely to get Soren killed. Anyway, "son of a king who used me as bait for a dragon, then forced me upon a nurse who hated the burden and sold me to a sage, after he died I went feral and Ike was the only person nice to me so I hunted him down years later and swore loyalty to his family" isn't bad in its own right.

Fernand may think he has a sob story, but Soren EARNED his right to be a jerk-rear end.

If you know it's coming (and unlocking that scene is basically impossible without knowing what to do ahead of time), you can take a few fairly simple steps to get a sniper tome into Soren's hands for the purpose of triggering the necessary conversation from a safe distance (Nailah being literally the only character on that map capable of significantly harming a properly-raised Soren).

And if we're comparing Path of Radiance characters to Fernand in terms of being a prick, Shinon kind of does literally the exact same thing, though for reasons that make more sense and with less blatant hypocrisy. Basically, he quits the Greil Mercenaries after Greil dies, despite them being in pretty rough straits and currently protecting a princess being hunted by an explicitly very evil army. However, he never claims to be a good person or someone with any concerns about justice; he's pretty up-front that he's concerned almost exclusively with himself (and the "almost" doesn't amount to much), and he makes it clear he was only ever loyal to Ike's father. Like Fernand, he was an rear end in a top hat who bailed on the good guys when they were in dire need of help, but unlike Fernand, he was much more honest about his reasons.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Fernand: it is an honor to meet one such as you, prince chrom.

Chrom: And you Fernand, another brave warrior is always welcome here.

Fernand(Internal monologue): oh thank god! It's good to be amongst those who understand pedigree and class again after leaving that betrayer Clive!

??????: yeeeeeeeehaw!

Chrom's best friends:
Knight who used to dunk his head in the toilet when they were kids
Gutter dwelling idiot
Thief who was hired to kill his sister
Smelly hobo amnesiac he found lying on the ground.

Fernand's going to have a full on logic loop crash.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Fernand has night terrors about being summoned into Askr.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Smelly hobo amnesiac he found lying on the ground.

who is not only the mother/husband of his time traveling daughter but is also literally the anti-christ.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Fernand has night terrors about being summoned into Askr.

Could be worse. He could wake up as a Mirage in Tokyo and be forced to work alongside a bunch of insane troubadours.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Bruceski posted:

It's actually surprising that Soren isn't even more of a dick when you think about. It also makes Fernand look even worse.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean Soren is only as moral as he is because his response to all of Ike’s ideas is “yes, Ike.”

He is the dude who totally wanted to bail on Elincia and join the Deains when they first found her since the Deains were the clear victors, after all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, the people in Awakening who are actually nobility include Virion and Sully.

Maribelle is the closest Fernand would be able to get to his idea of 'royalty', and she's not nearly as pompous as he is.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, the people in Awakening who are actually nobility include Virion and Sully.

Maribelle is the closest Fernand would be able to get to his idea of 'royalty', and she's not nearly as pompous as he is.

I feel like Maribelle would try to snap his neck as she is very much a believer in the responsibilities of nobility .

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wasn't Maribelle also a secret country gal like Calill, or did I make that up?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wasn't Maribelle also a secret country gal like Calill, or did I make that up?
No, you made that up.

Maribelle is a surprisingly fantastic character all told, though, and her support with Gaius is one of my favorites in the series.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

theshim posted:

No, you made that up.

Maribelle is a surprisingly fantastic character all told, though, and her support with Gaius is one of my favorites in the series.

To be fair though, Gaius has pretty excellent supports in general. I think his supports with Chrom are really good at fleshing out both characters and I love his supports with Maribelle, Lissa, and the avatar.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah, fair enough. I've only married her to Gregor, and their supports mostly flesh out how amazing Gregor is. I can't imagine Brady as anything but a war priest who is the son of Gregor the berserker.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Brady isn't the splitting image of Vaike you're doing it wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Maribelle would try to snap his neck as she is very much a believer in the responsibilities of nobility .

I think she'd have the best shot at a conversation, considering her basic belief structure is "Nobles are an inherently superior class of humanity", to the point I suspect if she was present for this little debate, she would describe Alm as "One of the good ones".

She's definitely all in for reform and treating peasants fairly, but that's in large part because of her initial beliefs that the best way to prove nobles are better is to make the playing field as fair as possible.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I think she'd have the best shot at a conversation, considering her basic belief structure is "Nobles are an inherently superior class of humanity", to the point I suspect if she was present for this little debate, she would describe Alm as "One of the good ones".

She's definitely all in for reform and treating peasants fairly, but that's in large part because of her initial beliefs that the best way to prove nobles are better is to make the playing field as fair as possible.

They may sound similar in opinion, but there is a very important distinction between "Nobles are better" and "Peasants are scum".

Also, I can only see Vaike as Owain's father. Where the hell else would he get it from?!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

They may sound similar in opinion, but there is a very important distinction between "Nobles are better" and "Peasants are scum".

Also, I can only see Vaike as Owain's father. Where the hell else would he get it from?!

Henry.

He got it from Henry.

And they are very different in practice, but they sound similar enough that it could be a while before they'd realize how different they are. It's also a prospective Fernand could see as "understandable, but wrong" as opposed to simply insane.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I gotta be honest, I forgot Vaike even existed. I benched him as soon as I had the chance, made Gregor my axe person, and never looked back. I don't even recall why I disliked him, but the character never appealed to me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

BlazetheInferno posted:

Lissa. They may not share the weapon-naming thing, but she's got the same level of energy. Also, personally, I used Lon'qu, to make sure Owain got good Swordmaster stats. Also he looks objectively better with dark hair.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

And they are very different in practice, but they sound similar enough that it could be a while before they'd realize how different they are. It's also a prospective Fernand could see as "understandable, but wrong" as opposed to simply insane.
I feel like anything with Maribelle would last until Fernand said something disrespectful about Lissa or Chrom. Maribelle would defend both of them with her life, and there's no way Fernand would be able to refrain from calling them "an insult to royalty" or something similar.

Oh god, I just remembered that Lissa mucked around in a swamp catching frogs to drop down the Avatar's cloak. That right there would be more than enough to start Fernand on a tirade, which would be abruptly ended when 3/4's of Awakening's cast simultaneously decked him for insulting Lissa. Bonus points if Owain challenges Fernand to a duel for "insulting my mother's honor".

This page has made me realize just how great Awakening's characterization is, as an aside.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Awakening has problems, but the characters for the most part are pretty good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

I feel like anything with Maribelle would last until Fernand said something disrespectful about Lissa or Chrom. Maribelle would defend both of them with her life, and there's no way Fernand would be able to refrain from calling them "an insult to royalty" or something similar.

Oh god, I just remembered that Lissa mucked around in a swamp catching frogs to drop down the Avatar's cloak. That right there would be more than enough to start Fernand on a tirade, which would be abruptly ended when 3/4's of Awakening's cast simultaneously decked him for insulting Lissa. Bonus points if Owain challenges Fernand to a duel for "insulting my mother's honor".

This page has made me realize just how great Awakening's characterization is, as an aside.

Yeah, it had the same localizers as Echoes, and you can really tell the difference between them and Fates.

Characters have distinct voices and bounce off each other in fun ways, where Fates tended to have flat voices for everyone. Makes supports much more tedious.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it had the same localizers as Echoes, and you can really tell the difference between them and Fates.

Characters have distinct voices and bounce off each other in fun ways, where Fates tended to have flat voices for everyone. Makes supports much more tedious.

Echoes and Awakening we're done by 8-4 right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Echoes and Awakening we're done by 8-4 right?

yup

looks like treehouse is getting to do three houses; jury's out on whether that'll be good

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I don't think the issue was the characters in Fates seeming "flat", so much as the least interesting characters getting all the lines. The retainers and their kids had tons of personality*, but it was the unnecessarily-sprawling royal family that ate up the vast majority of the script. As for why that's a bad thing, their personalities all boiled down to "Hey, here's nine different not-quite-incestuous-wink-wink love interest archetypes, you DO like incest, right?" Gonna go out on a limb and say a slightly different translation wouldn't have helped much in that regard. The more I think critically about Fates, the less I like it, much as I enjoyed certain specific characters.

*I would pay full price for an entire game starring Arthur and Azama.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I don't think the issue was the characters in Fates seeming "flat", so much as the least interesting characters getting all the lines. The retainers and their kids had tons of personality*, but it was the unnecessarily-sprawling royal family that ate up the vast majority of the script. As for why that's a bad thing, their personalities all boiled down to "Hey, here's nine different not-quite-incestuous-wink-wink love interest archetypes, you DO like incest, right?" Gonna go out on a limb and say a slightly different translation wouldn't have helped much in that regard. The more I think critically about Fates, the less I like it, much as I enjoyed certain specific characters.

*I would pay full price for an entire game starring Arthur and Azama.

Haha, no. Not that you aren't broadly correct, but even in instances where there was personality, Treehouse occasionally ripped it out, like the infamous Saizo/Beruka support, where they stripped everything out in order to do a lovely "......." meme. While there wasn't much to work with, Treehouse did an utter poo poo job even taking that into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Haha, no. Not that you aren't broadly correct, but even in instances where there was personality, Treehouse occasionally ripped it out, like the infamous Saizo/Beruka support, where they stripped everything out in order to do a lovely "......." meme. While there wasn't much to work with, Treehouse did an utter poo poo job even taking that into account.

I'm aware of some of those changes, my theory is that their localization budget and timetable were calculated and handed down before it became clear that they'd need to spend extra time and money excising all the groping minigames and dummying out the lingerie. As for why they weren't adjusted for what was clearly a tentpole project, I wouldn't know, but to simply claim incompetence when the circumstances could well have been more complicated than that feels a little reductive and unfair. But, given how all the changed scenes involved replacing more detailed dialog with very brief jokey-jokes that required zero effort to slap in, it feels to me more like they ran out of time/money than they genuinely thought it would be better that way.

• Locked thread