Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm kind of surprised that they went out of their way to make a dismounted Mycen model just for one cutscene. Then again, Fates had a special Leo model with his collar inside out that was also only used for one cutscene, so I guess that's just a thing IntSys likes to do nowadays.

Mounted characters are separate models from their mounts already, since they fall off when they die. It's one of the great strengths of moving from sprites to 3D, all you need to do is take the existing model and add animation, and you can do whatever you want. Though, as I recall, in Path of Radiance, slain Cavaliers just slumped over on their horses before fading away, because they were all one model.

What's interesting in playing Gaiden/Echoes is that while it was massively different from pretty much the entire series all the way through Radiant Dawn and the DS remakes, between Awakening and Fates, things actually moved a lot closer to what Gaiden had been, so it's neat that they then remade Gaiden, as if inviting comparison.

Now let's see 'em remake FE4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Torrannor posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I kind of lost interest in FE after the excellent Radiant Dawn, and I was kind of bored with the Awakening LP, (the story just wasn't engaging for some reason) so this is all news to me.

It's still the best Fire Emblem game they ever made, I'm super mad that they never did a remake :argh:

The anime levels kind of went through the roof in Awakening and Fates, and what little lip service had been paid to such things as international politics in the Radiant games pretty much evaporated. On the one hand, it's the main reason I'm not as enthusiastic about the new games as I was about earlier titles, but on the other, I'm pretty sure it's the primary reason the series suddenly started to sell like gangbusters so it's not going anywhere.

As for FE4, the reason I joked about them remaking it is they will never, ever do it. They'd have to throw out basically the entire plot and rewrite it from scratch, because there is no chance in hell Nintendo is going to release it as-is.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They are, but they run on the Radiant formula where you only need to field the characters in the same chapter enough times, instead of having to keep them next to each other. Basically anyone you use semi-regularly will be at A support by endgame with no effort.

This is only partly true, it's more of a fusion between the two systems. While all characters fielded on a map will gain points with whoever they can support with, they also gain points by fighting within support range of each other, and need to conduct the conversations while on the battlefield like in the GBA games, rather than from the menu. So, if there's a support you really want to grind up, just have them fight near each other for a few battles and they'll be maxed out in no time.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

IIRC neither of them knew, though Deirdre might have known before she was mindwiped. Still a pretty loving hard sell for a major plot point in this day and age.

The half-siblings bit isn't even the worst part (it's the second worst), it's the "mindwiped" part. They may have obfuscated it with a bunch of magic :techno: but she was forced to have kids with a stranger against her will. I'm pretty sure that would be bad for Nintendo's brand image. They're more likely to remake Sword of Seals, if anything, because Smash Bros. fans fuckin' love Roy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The devs also said they'd most wanted to remake Sword of Seals. Which makes sense. It's IS's first time out without Kaga, so they've learned a lot since then while keeping the nostalgia value, the prequel was the first game released in the US so there's some strong nostalgia value, it sold quite well... pretty long list.

They'd probably also add Lyn and Nino too, get some instant interest boosts not available to a 4 remake.

I think the main obstacle to Sword of Seals getting a remake is that the series sold poorly from Path of Radiance onward, until Awakening became the best-selling title in the franchise. I feel like Nintendo's current standing policy on FE might be "world map or GTFO". I'd like to see them try, if for no other reason than to get a game where Roy is (hopefully) good, but I'm not convinced they're going to bother.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I think a sword of seals remake would sell just fine considering it's the Fire Emblem game with Roy in it.

It'll sell based on the smash hype alone.

That's what everyone thought about Shadow Dragon and Marth, which sold fewer copies than either of the GBA titles to get released internationally. New Mystery sold so poorly in Japan that it wasn't even translated. I mean, it's more likely they'll repeat that mistake than do FE4, but the most likely remake is probably Sacred Stones, since it's already pretty close to the formula that's making them lots of money.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tae posted:

SoV sold well, and Fire Emblem is at a point where they're getting their own Directs. Fire Emblem Warriors sold 1 million copies. FE Heroes is by a mile Nintendo's most profitable mobile game.

Where the franchise was 8 years ago and where it is today are two completely different places.

Echoes only proves my point. The Fire Emblem games that are selling are the open ones with the world maps and level grinding. Birthright even outsold Conquest, even though Arthur was objectively the best character in Fates. Echoes was an edge case where both old and new fans of the series could be courted simultaneously (it's an old title, but many of the core mechanics are present in the recent games). I'm curious what you think there actually is to be gained in a nostalgia piece aimed primarily at the older fans, who are provably in the minority, when those same resources could be used to make something the new fans want and that the older fans would buy anyway.

That's why I say Sacred Stones is a maybe, because, like Gaiden, it has a world map, level grinding (thus a way to work in DLC), etc. Like, how would you work DLC into a remake of Sword of Seals? What incentive would there be to bother with it when the experience is wholly linear and finite? Why should they worry about getting people to buy old characters in Heroes that are already selling okay when they could make a whole new cast? You can't assume that just because one thing with a franchise label sold well, that a significantly different* product with the same label will sell similarly. I don't really want this to spiral into a massive derail, but I think it's important to analyze why something is selling, and not just taking those sales for granted.

*Yes, it's significantly different. The core gameplay loop for Awakening, Fates (aside from Conquest sans DLC), and Echoes is much more like Final Fantasy Tactics than it is older Fire Emblems. Mainly because it's a loop in the first place. When you beat the old FEs, that was it, you either start over or move on. In the last three games, you get to go back in, grind up levels, try to get perfect stats on everyone, fight bonus bosses, hunt for rare weapons, gain skills, all the stuff that used to be considered the domain of FFT and its ilk. It's a different experience.

cheetah7071 posted:

New Mystery sold fine for what it was. It didn't get translated because it came out right at the end of the DS' lifespan and by the time localization was done the 3DS would have been out

Sales were down from Shadow Dragon, and were low enough that Nintendo threatened to cancel the series entirely if Awakening didn't outsell it.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

FE made its faustian deal with anime and mobile games satan and they came through for once.

Much to my constant groaning and bellyaching about where the series is heading story and style wise.

:same:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh and the only way they should make a sword of seals remake is by including Rekka no Ken as a gen 1 sort of thing. Since people seem to be really into breeding supremely powerful child soldiers.

I'll admit, I have entirely too much fun working out matrices of which characters make the best pairings without screwing over any of the other child characters. I even did the math for FE4 by hand, way back in senior year of high school, before I knew about SerenesForest.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

By returning to the oldschool unified Attack stat rather than the Strength/Magic split from most of the series, it's actually 100% feasible to run any of Alm's buddies as basically any class. It's also worth discussing how characters got changed between Gaiden and Echoes, because, like the other remakes, there was significant fiddling with stat growths because the original games didn't do it particularly well. The first thing to note is that everyone got an across-the-board increase because old FE had very poor growths (though, Echoes still has pretty low growths, compared to other Fire Emblems), so I'll mostly be talking about how certain characters' growths changed relative to the other characters.

Alm: Alm's growths are among the best in the game, regardless of which one you're looking at. His spread's balance has remained consistent, with tons of HP, as well as great Strength, Skill, and Defense. His Speed might lag slightly if you're unlucky, but it's not a bad growth at all, while his Luck is only so-so. However, with the rest of the cast improved in Echoes, Alm's advantages are less pronounced. All Resistance growths in Echoes are in the single digits (and flat zeros for everyone in Gaiden), but Alm has a respectable 3%.

Faye: Faye is actually new in Echoes, and it's generally assumed based on certain gameplay elements she's mainly intended to be a Cleric, though her presence also gives you a female character capable of choosing a class the way Gray, Tobin, and Kliff can (and her appearances in Heroes and the Cipher card game have in pretty much every class but Cleric). Her stats aren't really impressive, reinforcing that she might be better standing in the back throwing heals around, but her two decent stats are Defense and Attack, so she's far from helpless. She's also got Resistance growth equal to Alm.

Gray: Gray's Attack and HP were solid in Gaiden, but the rest of his stats were pretty lame. In Echoes, he's improved vastly in that regard, but he's still pretty middling in every growth. Of course, the RNG can go both ways on someone with growths like his, and he can end up surprising you, but he's best in a three-stage class. He, Tobin, and Kliff all boast exactly zero Resistance growth, something relatively uncommon in Echoes.

Tobin: Tobin's only real growth in Gaiden was Skill (and Luck, but who cares), he couldn't be counted on to gain much else consistently. In Echoes, he's actually fairly good. Skill remains his best stat by far, but his other stats got a much-needed boost. He'll never be very fast, but if you're lucky, he'll gain enough Attack to be useful, though, like Gray, he's better off in a three-stage class.

Kliff: In Gaiden, this guy was a god compared to most units. His HP, Skill, Speed, and Defense growths were excellent, and while his Attack lagged, he was a low-level Villager, so he had tons of time to make up the difference, and he was still stronger than Tobin. Echoes corrects this mainly by bringing the rest of the cast up to his level, but he also eats one of the few nerfs of the game, getting his HP growth slashed from a whopping 50 down to 35, though his Attack, Skill, and Speed went up a bit (he's the fastest person from Ram Village). It's also worth noting that in Echoes, he and Faye are the only ones with a useful amount of base Resistance, Kliff having a respectable 8 and Faye having a more moderate 6.

Lukas: Of the initial group Alm leads, Lukas is easily the most improved. His growths were much like Tobin's in Gaiden, but as a Soldier rather than a Villager, meaning he had far less time to actually gain stats. In Echoes, his growths were improved, and while his total growths aren't really any better than the rest of the Ram Village crew, just having numbers above 30 makes his higher starting level much less of an issue. Further, he has a 2% Resistance growth, which is about average for this game. Once he's gained a few levels and his defense starts to take off, he becomes a fantastic wall for your team.

By the way, not to say too much, but due to the way magic works in Gaiden/Echoes, only certain characters are actually any good in each magic class. Faye can do well in either, but has a distinct advantage as well as a unique role as Cleric, while Kliff is clearly meant to be a Mage. Gray and Tobin aren't terrible as Mages, and Tobin even has a bit of a unique niche if you take him down that path, but the game makes it clear that they're also not really "meant" to be doing that. It ends up feeling kind of passive-aggressive on the part of the game. "Oh, you want to make Faye a Pegasus Knight? Yeah, sure, go ahead, if you want to miss out on some really useful stuff that literally only she can get as a Cleric. You're totally free to screw yourself out of that totally awesome stuff that you can't get in any other way."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Weeble posted:

You all say Tobin has really good skill; that he excels as an Archer...

My ArcherTobin ended the game with single digit Skill.

Well, not really, but only because of Overclassing and the Star Jacinth.

Even then, it was close. He was a complete disappointment.

The RNG is a cruel and fickle god. Tobin's Skill growth is 50%, which is very high by Echoes standards, but it's always possible to get completely screwed, or totally blessed. Despite his mediocre growths, my Gray's stats are crazy high, for instance.

Straight White Shark posted:

what kind of bizarro hell Fire Emblem is this

Archers can counter at melee range in Echoes, and Snipers get +2 range with every bow.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

Aye...I really wish that Gaiden LP of mine had come to fruition...all this talk makes me want to sperg out like no tomorrow!!

*ahem*...Anyway, I'd actually say Alm is MORE overpowered than he was in Echoes...but explaining why would require yet another :spergin: post from me. You all don't mind, do you?

Oh, yeah, he absolutely breaks Echoes right in half, but I'd argue that there are quite a few characters capable of that, whereas in Gaiden he was one of maybe five characters, tops, who had anything resembling a normal FE character's growth rates.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Very true. I'm looking forward to seeing an actual battle. And the now grown up models of our characters.

Do weapons still have a limited number of uses?

They do not. Because characters only get one item slot, and other mechanics that'll be shown later, weapons don't degrade. You can kinda glean this through the UI in the tutorial battle, Celica's Gold Dagger doesn't have a durability counter, not even dashes representing infinite uses.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

megane posted:

I wish they'd give us a Peg Knight Lord or something.

As noted, I'm pretty sure IS doesn't want your "lose the game if they die" unit to be weak to a massive swath of enemies. Pretty sure that's also why mounted/armored lords are pretty rare, the devs want to be able to throw Horse/Armorslayer weapons at you without worrying that they're making it impossible to use the main character properly. Part 2 of Radiant Dawn is a brief taste of what it would be like to have a Pegasus Knight as a lord, and it's ultimately not all that great (the game itself is great, that is, I just mean the specific experience of having Elincia be your lord unit is not terribly fun).

Though, one thing they could do is, next time you get an Avatar, they could make it so you put their unique class together yourself based on some sort of point system (adding usable weapons, growth modifiers, mounted/unmounted/armored, etc.). That way, you could have your Peg Knight lord, but it's optional, for those who knowingly accept the risks.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Tae posted:

You can start as a Peg in FE 12. Even an armored unit.

This is true, but you're not the Lord in that one. I was thinking more in terms of Fates, where your Avatar is also the Lord. Plus IS seems to prefer giving the Avatar their own unique class now, rather than just sticking to the various generic classes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The above having been said, you can grind, and doing so for the Villagers can ensure their stats stay nice and high, though it's not really necessary to beat the game. Unlike Awakening and Fates, there's no mechanic for gaining infinite levels, and as I've mentioned, growth rates aren't as good as in most of the series, so if you like those shiny green numbers, you'll likely have to bite the bullet and grind up. On the plus side, it'll feel even better once you finally class change and gain EXP far faster for the first several levels.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I mean, granted, a fair number of characters have some form of access to the one line that can loop back, and in their case, it might be preferable to class change them early and often (especially since, as noted, there's no internal level, so if you loop all the way back around to Villager, you suddenly have endgame stats and gain experience like you just started the game).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I think everyone is kind of overstating the whole "raise to base stats on promotion" mechanic, because one thing that's being overlooked is, with a few exceptions like the Mercenary, every class' base stats suck. You will never gain experience more easily than when you've got Villagers, and unless you're going Mercenary, you will likely dwarf several of the base stats of whatever you end up promoting into, unless the RNG is completely out for your blood. It's doubly important to get as many levels as possible with anyone you plan to make a Mage or Cleric, for reasons.

By the way, Silque's overall stat balance hasn't changed too much since Gaiden, with solid but not particularly exciting growths across the board. She lost some Speed relative to her other growths, leaving it a little on the low side (especially being a Cleric), but gained a hefty boost to Luck.

Anyway, my votes:

Gray: Mercenary
Tobin: Archer
Kliff: Mage
Faye: Cleric

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still pretty drat useful. Thanks to their low stats, enemies make them priority targets, meaning they're not going after the units who can actually die.

Invoke summons can be very useful when enemies outrange your units, and you're trying to close to melee range. It's like how Tanith's summons in Path of Radiance are amazingly useful in Chapter 23 (The Great Bridge, basically one big gauntlet of ballistae).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ajkalan posted:

3 cavaliers and a pegasus knight

They move good.

You do know there's only a finite number of good lances in this game, right?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ajkalan posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this game

Too many people use lances in Echoes already, adding more just ends up rendering even more of them useless.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty common issue in older Fire Emblems, too many drat lance-users.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That said, if you have one of the three-five (depending on how you feel about two of them) best bows, you'll usually reduce fliers to a fine mist from halfway across the map.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I have no idea how combat shakes out, how important which spells are or what weapons are strong, so I'm not voting on classes. I do like that individual characters have access to different spells. Could be a precursor to Three Houses maybe giving every character magic, even if they are knights/fighters or the like. Unless Gaiden already had the individual magics?

Yeah, you can also see Combat Arts in the menus for Three Houses, which are a thing that will soon be covered in this LP. From just the E3 trailer, it looks like Echoes may have ended up being a testbed of sorts for concepts that are going to be in Three Houses. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about making that the norm for Fire Emblem. It feels like the series is slowly morphing into Tactics Ogre/FFT, minus the part where every battle is an interminable slog.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Thankfully, Faye in particular has her ludicrously absurd +20% to-hit bonus from a certain support to boost Nosferatu to effectively broken to-hit levels.

The downside is that that same support gives enemies a small bonus to hit Faye back. As long as she can double, though, she'll usually get back any lost HP.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

This update reminded me. Without spoiling anything, I'll mention that "natural" mages/clerics actually have pretty solid (for Echoes) Resistance growth, generally, and it's their Defense that's laughable, but because they start as Villagers, Kliff and Faye get Defense growth instead, which, as mentioned, makes them fairly tanky against non-mages (which should be their preferred targets, anyway). Gives them interesting niches to fill within those classes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You know, Clair boasts the highest Speed growth in the game by a noticeable margin, but this is actually one of the biggest changes in growth rates from Gaiden to Echoes. In Gaiden, her speed was decidedly mediocre. Her other growths remained pretty consistent, relatively speaking. Her Strength may be unreliable, but it's not the worst. The biggest obstacle she faces is her low HP growth, which leaves her extremely fragile, given her equally poor Defense. It's also important to note that Clair actually has a fair amount of base Resistance, making her Alm's best mage-hunter for the moment (if you waste Kliff's potential making him a physical attacker, he also has a good bit of Resistance, though Clair is the only one of the two with any chance of potentially gaining more points in it, and Kliff can't become a flier).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Fernand's outburst is a split moment for me. On one hand, yes he's got a point in calling out Clive for immediately handing over the keys to the car to Alm upon meeting him. But on the other hand, if Fernand is worried Alm might lead them in a direction he doesn't like, why not stay around and advise Alm to be a leader? It's clear that Clive is mentally checking out (not helped by his fiancee being held captive by Desaix, something Fernand certainly knows about), so if Fernand is worried about Alm not satisfying everyone, he's an idiot for not staying around because the thing Alm needs right now are veteran advisors (i.e., people like Fernand) to help him out. But alas, it seems prejudice is stronger that logic, so Fernand has to leave.

Well, fact is, it doesn't matter how qualified Alm is, he's a filthy commoner, so Fernand wants nothing to do with him. Never mind that he's the grandson of their nation's greatest hero, not to mention heir to whatever titles Mycen still held claim to, he grew up in a village, where people do their own work. Like savages. Whatever other bullshit reasons Fernand comes up with is just cover for that irrational hatred. It's actually a pretty realistic portrayal of bigotry, for a video game made for children (though it wouldn't be a first for Fire Emblem, given some scenes in the Radiant games).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I don't think it was supposed to make him sympathetic, it sounded like an excuse people make for why they hang out with douchebags/abusers IRL.

Ding-ding-ding.

Fernand is exactly the sort of person you see out in the streets, blaming whatever marginalized group is most convenient for all of their problems, usually pointing to a single bad experience that involved (almost always by coincidence of lovely people being everywhere, rather than specific dint of their identity) a person or persons from that group.

Eating a 90-damage critical at some point later in the game to own the poors.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah but nobody figures that out unless you have some incredibly specific support conversations at the right time and, if I remember right, a combat conversation that's likely to get Soren killed. Anyway, "son of a king who used me as bait for a dragon, then forced me upon a nurse who hated the burden and sold me to a sage, after he died I went feral and Ike was the only person nice to me so I hunted him down years later and swore loyalty to his family" isn't bad in its own right.

Fernand may think he has a sob story, but Soren EARNED his right to be a jerk-rear end.

If you know it's coming (and unlocking that scene is basically impossible without knowing what to do ahead of time), you can take a few fairly simple steps to get a sniper tome into Soren's hands for the purpose of triggering the necessary conversation from a safe distance (Nailah being literally the only character on that map capable of significantly harming a properly-raised Soren).

And if we're comparing Path of Radiance characters to Fernand in terms of being a prick, Shinon kind of does literally the exact same thing, though for reasons that make more sense and with less blatant hypocrisy. Basically, he quits the Greil Mercenaries after Greil dies, despite them being in pretty rough straits and currently protecting a princess being hunted by an explicitly very evil army. However, he never claims to be a good person or someone with any concerns about justice; he's pretty up-front that he's concerned almost exclusively with himself (and the "almost" doesn't amount to much), and he makes it clear he was only ever loyal to Ike's father. Like Fernand, he was an rear end in a top hat who bailed on the good guys when they were in dire need of help, but unlike Fernand, he was much more honest about his reasons.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Also, I can only see Vaike as Owain's father. Where the hell else would he get it from?!

Lissa. They may not share the weapon-naming thing, but she's got the same level of energy. Also, personally, I used Lon'qu, to make sure Owain got good Swordmaster stats. Also he looks objectively better with dark hair.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I don't think the issue was the characters in Fates seeming "flat", so much as the least interesting characters getting all the lines. The retainers and their kids had tons of personality*, but it was the unnecessarily-sprawling royal family that ate up the vast majority of the script. As for why that's a bad thing, their personalities all boiled down to "Hey, here's nine different not-quite-incestuous-wink-wink love interest archetypes, you DO like incest, right?" Gonna go out on a limb and say a slightly different translation wouldn't have helped much in that regard. The more I think critically about Fates, the less I like it, much as I enjoyed certain specific characters.

*I would pay full price for an entire game starring Arthur and Azama.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Haha, no. Not that you aren't broadly correct, but even in instances where there was personality, Treehouse occasionally ripped it out, like the infamous Saizo/Beruka support, where they stripped everything out in order to do a lovely "......." meme. While there wasn't much to work with, Treehouse did an utter poo poo job even taking that into account.

I'm aware of some of those changes, my theory is that their localization budget and timetable were calculated and handed down before it became clear that they'd need to spend extra time and money excising all the groping minigames and dummying out the lingerie. As for why they weren't adjusted for what was clearly a tentpole project, I wouldn't know, but to simply claim incompetence when the circumstances could well have been more complicated than that feels a little reductive and unfair. But, given how all the changed scenes involved replacing more detailed dialog with very brief jokey-jokes that required zero effort to slap in, it feels to me more like they ran out of time/money than they genuinely thought it would be better that way.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The scene where Corrin goes "yes father, I think murdering civilians is cool" to get Garon and Iago off their back, and Azura subsequently completely flipping her poo poo is the greatest scene in the series. I don't understand how anyone could not love it.

For reference, the actual best scene in all of Fire Emblem is Stefan and Mordecai's A support from Path of Radiance. It's not only a fantastic character moment for both involved, it's also a bit of excellent foreshadowing for Radiant Dawn (one of several; it was pretty clear IS put a lot of work into setting things up in PoR to pay off in RD, which is why they remain the series' peak). On top of that, it was also a pretty topical scene in a number of ways. While Fire Emblem always has the typical high fantasy moralizing, the Tellius games were the only ones that really had a clear message to them, which is something I found lacking in both Awakening and Fates. They fell back on tired anime cliches like friendship and fighting destiny. I mean, the closest thing to a central theme Fates had was "war is bad", literally the most basic possible thing within its genre, and even that got lost in all the alternate dimension bullshit. I'm sitting here struggling to think of any actual moral to the story beyond "don't do a war".

Fates really is one of those games I enjoy in the moment because the gameplay works well enough and is reasonably engaging, but on further analysis, it's kinda lovely. Gonna be real, if Three Houses continues the trend of having nothing meaningful to hang its story off of and barely half an endearing cast, I'm not sure if I'll be onboard. Fortunately, Echoes pretty much hit it out of the park in terms of likeable characters, and as can be seen already, the story has surprising depth for something adapted from an NES game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Meh. I actually like... well, "like" the RD villains precisely because they're no more and no less than a bunch of corrupt assholes who crave more power for the sake of indulging their corruption. Not devoted to an evil cult, no great vision of changing the world... just pure assholes.

Realistic, as far as that goes.

I dunno, a power-hungry, wealth-obsessed bigot trying desperately to hide his own incompetence as he illegally seizes power that rightfully belonged to a woman, supported by opportunists and those too cowardly to oppose him, as they use their distorted, wholly inaccurate version of the prevailing religion to legitimize themselves and their abhorrent views? Doesn't sound like anything that could happen in real life, imo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I agree, a lot. The story about the branded is very well thought out and written. The Stefan/Mordecai support is excellent, as is the backstory about the Apostle, and Zelgius arc. It also really spoke to me as a gay guy.

I often wonder if The Branded were genuinely intended to be such a clear metaphor for LGBT issues, or if it was just because the original metaphor is kind of lost in translation. I'm pretty sure the original intent behind The Branded was more literal, as mixed-race children in Japan deal with a great deal of discrimination, both overt (represented by the Beorc) and through the passive denial of their Japanese identity (represented by the Laguz). It was especially bad in the past, but even today, it remains a controversial issue that's far from resolved. That said, that it so easily applies to LGBT issues, as well as the religious overtones, suggests that the writers were at least aware that their writing would be relevant to the LGBT community.

By the way, the Tellius games, and Path of Radiance especially, feels like it has the sins of Japan's past (or more precisely, the sins they like to sweep under the rug and pretend never happened) on its mind in a general sense, actually, given that Izuka's lab evoked Unit 731 (Japan's horrific human experimentation, conducted in Manchuria during WWII). That's really what puts the Tellius games over the rest of the series, there's some actual, honest-to-god literary analysis possible there, and I think that's why the story and characters resonated so well, even though, on the surface, they mostly fell into the same assorted archetypes that exist in every FE.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is anyone actually smart in Fates?

I seem to remember all of Conquest being about how they couldn't just gank Adolf McBeard for reasons and then they were rewarded by Adolf and the evil henchmen trying to kill them.

Conquest would have been a much better story with a smarter Corrin subverting orders and causing "accidents" to happen to loyal servants of the king like Hans and Iago.

What's weird is all the overtures towards that sort of thinking throughout the dialog, I was expecting something like Code Geass to go down at some point, but then, yeah, it just never materialized. And let's not forget, they got a so-called "professional manga author" to work on Fates. Funny story, he went on Twitter and basically said he felt all the credit should go to the "hard working staff writers" which I'm pretty sure is him openly acknowledging his story sucked and trying desperately to pass the buck.

Awakening didn't exactly have a stellar story*, but at least it did what it set out to do and wasn't constantly setting up things that never paid off, so I'm pretty sure even the current writing team at IS is better than that guy.

*Though, I found the overall structure to be fairly novel, it was clearly trying to go for an imitation of an actual anime series, with distinct arcs featuring distinct villains, which is why Walhart felt so out-of-place in the larger plot, he was the Red Ribbon Army to Gangrel's Pilaf and Validar/Grima's King Piccolo.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Snorb posted:

I dunno, I just want a Fire Emblem game to start off with your My Unit creation; the standard "What's your name?" "Are you a male or female?" "What's your affinity as far as Supports go?" "What color hair do you have?" and then immediately gear-shift into "HOLY loving poo poo, the entire Imperial Army is attacking your village, here's a Rapier and an Iron Sword and a Vulnerary, WHY ARE YOU STILL STANDING THERE, DO YOU WANT TO GET KILLED!?"

No buildup. No subtlety. No immediate backstory beyond what can be gleaned from the back of the box. Just have My Unit be as confused as you the player are as to what the hell's going on.

Next map, no explanation of plot, just "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, HERE'S YOUR BEST FRIENDS RED CAVALIER, GREEN CAVALIER, AND JEIGAN, RUN YOU FOOL," and the third map "here's your other friends Pegasus Knight, Archer, and Priestess, WE'LL EXPLAIN WHAT'S HAPPENING ONCE IT'S SAFE WHICH IT ISN'T."

I guess this is why I don't write Fire Emblem games.

The issue with this is that the mechanics of Fire Emblem wouldn't back up the story, since FE gameplay is, by nature, slow and methodical, which wouldn't reinforce the sense of urgency and panic being pushed by the story. On the other hand, this would be an interesting way to introduce a mechanic of some maps having time limits on the player's turn. It would be a pretty solid gimmick, at least.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Some maps in RD do have hard turn limits (vs the soft turn limits to unlock gaiden chapters), it’s just that they’re pretty generous time limits. If they made them a bit stricter maybe.

I wasn't referring to turn limits on maps, I was saying time limits. Like in speed chess. You have two minutes to move all your poo poo, or your turn ends immediately.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Noooo that is a terrible idea. Why? Why would you do that in a turn-based game? No.

I once again point to speed chess, which is quite popular worldwide. It's not something to make an entire game out of, but as a rare map gimmick, like fog-of-war, it can provide a change of pace.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

That sounds like a great way for me to make a ton of stupid mistakes because I always gently caress up in FE when I go too fast.

Obviously, the maps would be designed around the concept, just like fog-of-war maps. Most importantly, such maps would likely be smaller, and have lower deployment limits, so you're not juggling too much information at once. Plus, I'm only suggesting timing the individual turns, no overall "finish map in X minutes or Game Over" timer, as that would require other design considerations (plus, Advance Wars did a ton of those already, doing a speed chess variant of FE would be more novel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AweStriker posted:

There was that one mission early in Advance Wars: Dual Strike that had a total time limit, but it was so lenient that it was basically irrelevant. Maybe it was more of an issue on Hard Campaign...

Dual Strike had an entire game mode that worked like that (Time Survival).

• Locked thread