Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

How do you lock it? Work verb, or do you need a rite?

Dream it, then add a lore that's associated with your temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Manage to get a sensation victory. It was actually not as bad (in terms of grind) as I thought. I summoned the big grail summon, which has 12 grail and edge. Then I got into the peacock door and picked the Red Church, which unsurprisingly gave me the highest tier grail influence. Then with the assistance of my exalted I got 37 levels of my aspect using the Sunset ritual. Founding a cult that can get you prisoners for free is really handy late game. I probably couldn't do it so quickly if I didn't have unlimited prisoners to feed the spider gate.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 5, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think you are wording things very poorly (or really have a vastly different understanding than everyone). You upgrade your cultists with the same lore as your founding lore. Unless you founded the history cult which has it's own rule.

edit: there you go.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Demons can't abduct people and crank out items though. Demons are also terrible against mystic hunters. I gave up at I think the 7th hint/maid-in-mirror failure attempt to kill a tenacious mystic hunter.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I found a book giving me a level 7 secret history lore from a level 5 location, too bad my game finished before I finish the exploration. Wonder what kind of loot was there.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i saw something about an auction house mentioned a couple places but i havent actually seen it except in the privileged life background. does it show up if im just a moron

Keep exploring and you'll find it eventually.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Glagha posted:

Oh I've definitely done some murdering. Maid-in-the-mirror leaves no survivors... Except Connie, gently caress her. I've never managed to scare/charm anyone successfully myself.

It's pretty difficult. I think you have to weaken your target with the opposite aspect first. So for example, if you want to drive someone insane with the light of Mansus, you have to make them an idealist with a winter lore or something similar. Then you hit them with a high level lantern lore...that said it's still not as reliable as sending a high level summon to kill someone.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Another thing you can do is let your health decay. The resultant card can be worked to generate dread.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Is there a way to upgrade followers whose aspects don't align with your cult's aspect?

Cultist' aspect is decided by the individual cultist. You upgrade them the same way as cultist of your aspect, that is, provide the right amount of influence (3, 8, 16? haven't played for so long). However, you cannot level your cultist to the highest level that's outside of your cult's aspect.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The dev team has a roadmap with 3 major content patches planned here:
http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulators-post-launch-roadmap/

Most of the new stuff, especially new game mechanics are going to be free. Only new legacies (starting background) are going to be paid.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

The upcoming Dancer DLC includes Moth and Heart ascensions, so it's not just legacies
https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1035199514557259776?s=19

New victory are under free DLC in two instances I can remember, including the one I linked. It's not set in stone but I think it's likely to be free.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Wait ... are we going to get the ability to recruit investigators now?

Also, does anyone know if there are any plans for them to make the scholarship skill a job like the physique and imagination ones are?

Yes, it's in the road map. That's at least three months off though.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone know what kind of ending will give lead to dancer's legacy?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I never realize how terrible the final grind is. In my first playthrough I only entered the peacock door once and immediately snagged the highest level influence and got a win. Trying to get a dance victory and holy hell I must've went in there 20 times. The new influence study system is barely any help because how fast influence decay. Unless there's a knock victory it's unlikely to help anyone. Then I died to dread when my contentment couldn't get suck into my 3 dread timer fast enough (I got the contentment card .6 second before the timer expired.)

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ja, but you they don't have to match exactly in magnitude I think. Apparently you can do things like combine A Buzzing in the Brain with a Restlessness to get A Rattling in the Soul, which makes the system a lot more useful than I thought it was going to be.

Well, you can get some of the the lowest two tier influences through combinations but that's about it. Influence just fizzle out too fast and at higher level it will require matching magnitude. I think the system needs another pass to be useful.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, I think you may be mistaken? It quickly look for prisoner, then lunatic, then dead body or something like that.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is this active now? I thought the new starters were coming out in January with the new DLC? And if I remember correctly, those new backgrounds are required to reach the advanced victories?

It's on the beta branch and pretty bare bone but you can see some of the new writing and new mechanic such as enemy Long, and yes it seems advanced victories are only available for certain backgrounds that's only available if you win a standard victory, at least for now.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 29, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dalaram posted:

Is there a lore explanation for why the only available victories are through lantern, forge, and grail? Or is it just that they haven’t quite figured out the mechanics of building ascensions for the other paths in game?

They are adding more victories. For example in the Dancer DLC they added Heart and Moth victories.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Can I recruit enemy investigators into my cult? Trying to get Connie Lee to join my insane adventures.

No. Though they can be made to see the light (to your detriment, possibly).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

In my defense, I did figure that out while that first abortive expedition was still going. I just find it frustrating that you can't see them until after you've already committed to it, and you can't even try to nab a hireling to fill a crucial Aspect requirement (because your Explore is tied up with the Expedition).

So it's basically binary whether you will or won't be able to succeed based on your roster of cultists when you started, unless I'm missing something. (Maybe summoning will make that easier, I'unno.) (And my experience of the early game was that Disciples only gained the Aspect of my cult, so I wasn't even sure how to broaden my roster's talent pool. That's gotten a lot better recently, though.)

You need to be able to get enough level of your cult's aspect to level up cultist. You can level up anyone with your cult's lore but cultists of your own lore already has some of the aspect themselves so it's easier to level them.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Finally got the Forge major victory. The game broke somehow when I finished the rite the first time and just keeps zooming in instead of showing the end card. Good thing the game kept some backup saves so I was able to go back and try again. The Long killed through half of my followers before I finally won (so at the end I had to use summons to do everything, because all the Edge and Winter and Forge cultists were dead)

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I had the idea a little while back that a way to make the Scholarship skill a job would be to have you writing your own lore books to sell. I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make that happen...

Although you can usually tell what kind of lore a book will give you by its colour, there's very few exceptions to that.

I think something similar might be planned. In the roadmap there's a bit about player written tome as well as scholarship job.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I beat the game 3 times now, two standard, one major, and had never bought out the auction or bookstore once. It is simply overkill and tons of extra grind.

Get enough lores so you can get into Mansus is enough. Even low level expedition yield much better things than the stores.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 22, 2019

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

I did my first game w/ a Knock cult and a Power victory. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to run with in a second go-around (don't feel quite ready to tackle an Apostle game, although I've got that save backed-up)? Not sure what I want / might have missed, but I do know I want to keep working the Reason job long enough to at least kill my boss.

Cult that can kidnap people is probably consistently useful.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I've been completely avoiding information about this game to preserve this experience, but now I have to ask: if I pull this off, do I win?

Because if so, I feel like I hit endgame at a really weird time. The highest Lantern I can muster right now is 13 :pwn:

edit: cropped the statbar because it had my real name in it :sweatdrop:

Yes, you get a standard victory.

I think it's an okay time to see the victory condition so you can have an idea on how to get there instead of continually stumbling for a few more hours without a clear aim.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Do I need higher Lores and Influences to keep my summons from getting out of control so much, or am I just really really lucky in losing half of them?

I believe it's purely luck based.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Downloaded it on my iPad, gave this game a try.

After several runs ended mostly by racking up too much dread, I think I’m in a good spot with my current run, but not sure where to go now.

I have a good stockpile of funds, but I’ve mostly been relying on 4-mystique paintings for income, not sure how much I should rely on that now that I actually started a cult which the det can bust me for. Bought out the supply of Mortland’s and the Auction shop, so it looks like I need to rely on expeditions from now on, but the only one I’ve tried so far was an expensive, dismal failure. Not sure what the endgame is either, besides ‘get more lore, smash lore bits together to make higher-tier lore, use lore for ???’

P.S. this game is mostly just making me wish there was a good tablet implementation of Liberal Crime Squad

Set up a expedition with funds and cultist (but don't set out yet), then read the description text that appears. It'll give you hint on what aspect you'll need to proceed. Right now you probably want to recruit way more cultists so you can do the expeditions.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
They post patchnote on the steam forums. Looks like mostly bug fix this time.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The next paid DLC: the Priest is coming at the end of the month, as well as an anniversary edition.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh nice. What details do we Know about this new stuff?

Well, most of the general mechanic changes are already on the beta branch, namely new HQ options and new research mechanic. The new legacy will be similar to the Dancer in scope, it'll have it's own associated aspect (I forgot which one, knock?) and victory to pursue.

Anniversary edition is just going to be the game, three DLC and soundtrack in a bundle.

The DLC after the next is the Ghoul, associated with the winter lore.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tylana posted:

Man, I started Priest, and it's kind of cool. But also weird because I'm trying to work out what to do with Fervour and how that progresses my horrible doom/glory/etc.

Also if anyone can work out how to do the thing the game text says you can do with your cult one time cult change in that route, let me know.

It seems you have to use health and fervour to start a sermon, then there's a bunch of other timed cards you need to prepare to get through to get "knock scar".

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i beat this game on release, a year ago or whatever - are each of the roles different/interesting enough that i should just play the game standard again and then do the DLC or should i start with one of them?

The basic victory is roughly the same. You get like a few paragraphs of text regarding how each of the temptation changes your character and a different victory card but that's about it. Just do the DLC legacies and apostle (NG+).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I keep losing to my corpse hunger as ghoul. My latest loss results from having my corpse snatched from under me by my own HQ (abandoned warehouse). I think I'll save edit to reduce my hunger. By the time I noticed it's a thing I am already at 7 marks.

Is there a way to get corpse faster? I can easily kidnap people but waiting for prisoner to die takes too long.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

thotsky posted:

I'm sure people ask this all the time, but is there a mod or cheat for the early game stat grind? I like the game, but having to go trough that each run makes me not want to play it.

Just use notepad to open the save file (it has shortcut in option) and search for the stats. Everything is basically in plain text.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you're pursuing a... winter ascension. maybe send out your winter cultists!!!

that said, this is much much better, as it has no chance of wounding cultists and will not gain you notoriety until the point where it clearly indicates that it will

also,

fascination is generally more dangeorus than dread because with dread, you have painting, opium or lapdancing to get you contentment. with fascination, you need either dread or fleeting reminiscences, each of which are very difficult to get in a hurry.

I tried, but the preview text says it'll attempt a abduction. Anyways, exploring temptation seems to be how you are suppose to do it, any other corpse it mostly incidental.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

...you can eat him? How? Why?

So you'll remember.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
After 3 attempts I got my first exile obscurity victory. It's actually pretty straight forward. Don't get greedy, and don't worry about setbacks too much. I ended with 30 years to spare. I never manage to create obscurity through challenge but still build up my obscurity through special events, wiping out trace with contacts and going to remote location. False trail is a beautiful thing and if you time it right and have some luck it'll allow you to farm in a location for close to 10 minutes. Though without the ability to generate obscurity staying in one place for long isn't nearly as valuable.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what did exile change? seems the same to me.

It's entirely self contained, so if you don't play the scenario itself you will not see any difference.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
If you have no trace there's a 50/50 chance (my estimate, not sure what the actual chance is) the recokoner will leave on his own every cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Can't help feeling like what's the point after reading that. There must be people who like this and other AK stuff primarily for the gameplay, but I mostly just want more words.

There's a lot of lore though, at least not any less than the other DLC.