Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty excited about the roadmap, but I have to say it makes me less interested in playing for now since it looks like the game's going to get so much deeper. Honestly it kind of feels like the game's still in Early Access.

Edit: Just want to be clear that I'm not complaining. I feel good about backing the game on kickstarter and I'm glad it's sold well enough to ensure a lot of post-release content. I do think it feels a bit unfinished it its current state though, and the roadmap basically acknowledges that.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was originally planning on waiting until the second big update to get into this again, but after jumping into a Paradox game after multiple DLCs and feeling like I had no idea how to play anymore, I think this might also be the kind of game where it's a good idea to take in new content in manageable bites so I'm not just totally lost. Time to dance.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

On the live stream Alexis just talked about advanced and grand victories. Advanced is new game+ with the Apostle Legacy where you start with the remnant of your cult and a rival, and the end goal is something like the fusion of spirit and flesh or the great machine. Then grand victory is going to be building on that with a third layer in which you work to become a Name. He also briefly discussed a fourth layer in which you play as a Name, but said he wasn't confirming it because he didn't want to get too ambitious.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He also said there won't be a separate advanced track for dancers, so it looks like the game's going to be building vertically, and is going to be building horizontally, but not diagonally, which is probably for the best if we want the game to ever be anything close to "complete."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NewMars posted:

I have a simple way to upgrade the UI for this game: get rid of all of it and do something completely different.

Alexis Kennedy is a very good writer and worldbuilder but I swear he actually must have some contempt for the idea of a game that people can actually play.

I legit wish he had a (perhaps somewhat smaller) series of books like Malazan in him, where he could tease out all kinds of insane lore and just write without having to worry about the game parts. I haven't ever really gotten a firm enough grasp on the mechanics in this game to dive as deep into the lore as I'd like, but the cosmology he wrote for Fallen London is loving bonkers, and if he has more of that in him, I'd love to see it expanded upon. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to think he can write a book though, so the best case is probably for this to succeed enough for him to hire another designer to deal with gameplay stuff while he pumps out the words.

I really want to figure this thing out and enjoy it like other people seem to, because I love the concept of this game, but the card management just isn't very fun for me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Kinda wish it was easier to restart as dancer if I die.

IMO anyone who isn't a masochist should at least create a backup save after getting some of the early game work out of the way so when you restart you at least don't have to grind up stats again.

I don't think it's even really cheating since the game has a built in option to take you to the file location for a reason. Obviously everyone gets to/has to decide where to draw the line themselves, but starting over from scratch over and over again is nuts to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 19, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The easy fix if you can't automatically restart as an Apostle is to just keep a clean Apostle start saved. Everyone can decide how much they're willing to break with creator intent when it comes to saves, but Alexis himself provided a clean Dancer save when that DLC came out, so I think it's a minimal violation.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If I'm recalling the livestream Alexis did about it correctly, ultimately the Long is going to gently caress with you more over time, preventing you from playing it safe and slowly accumulating assets before pushing forward like you can in the base game. It's there to put some level of difficulty back in the game once you think you have it figured out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fez_machine posted:

There isn't a chat thread and there's no dedicated Sunless Skies thread, so I'm put this gossip right here.

It looks like Alexis Kennedy's departure from Failbetter wasn't as amicable as it might have appeared and has certainly deteriorated since then.

AK follows none of the Sunless Skies developers and promoted another project, Spinnortality, (which kind of looks interesting) on the game's launch day.

Plus there's some allusions to difficult personal problems from the Narrative Director of Sunless Skies, Chris Gardner (maybe not AK related but who knows? It's hard inheriting a project whose previous occupant and main co-creator wants nothing to do with you).

Yeah I was pretty surprised that he didn't promote the launch yesterday and was wondering if there was more to the story than 'yeah I left the company I founded because I started dating one of my employees and decided that was inappropriate so we founded a new company together.' I could be wrong, but I think he promoted the kickstarter though? So maybe the relationship deteriorated after he left.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alexis talked about tier 3 and maybe even tier 4 (though he rushed to say he wasn't promising that one) victories to follow on the tier 2 victory of new game plus in previous streams, so it'll be kind of disappointing if that never happens. Of course those two legacies being the last anticipated paid DLC doesn't mean they can't accompany major free updates, as the first DLC did, so we'll have to see. Honestly, even if they did pare down that ambition, it kind of makes sense not to keep dumping resources into stuff a smaller and smaller segment of the playerbase will ever see, since each tier of investment is another stop off at which a bunch of people may have decided they've had enough. Getting a new game instead isn't all bad as a player either, of course, it just sort of shows why it's a good idea not to brainstorm out loud on streams, because people might decide they like the ideas and want to see them implemented.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 22, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I get the sense they intend to come back to Cult later, it's just that a new primary project has to take priority for cashflow reasons. I'm still fairly confident that the higher tiers might be along eventually, but that eventually might be 2022. Or they could be bundled with these DLCs, idk.

That's fair, I was just concerned that it was just a reference to whatever the library thing they've been talking about will be. I'm fine with long delays, or even if they come back to it in the future by making a sequel that manages to integrate a lot of what they've done while bringing in new elements, so I hope you're right.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was really looking forward to Book of Hours, but I think it's safe to say that kickstarter's going to be substantially delayed at the very least. Too bad AK's a piece of poo poo. I don't know how much he could have helped himself by owning up to at least some of it and offering a heartfelt apology for the hurt that he caused, but threatening to call the cops was about the worst thing he could have done.

Rynoto posted:

In a shocking turn of events straight white man found to be awful person.

Very brave response, thank you.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ephemeron posted:

"The nature of my crimes was vague, and the trial contentious. But there is a consensus that I have done something I should not. I wish it could have been different. I wish that I could have done everything I should not." - Alexis Kennedy

:perfect:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He sounds like a lovely and manipulative guy, but calling him a rapist seems a bit extreme since none of the accusers said that as far as I can tell.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I get that being roasted publicly (deserved or not) must be an extremely stressful experience, but anyone in his life who cares about him really needs to take all AK's devices away and tell him to stop talking, because everything that he's said so far has just made the allegations seem more plausible and makes it harder for him to say that he's learned and changed since his previous bad behavior. If he'd said he doesn't believe he was an abuser but he realizes he's behaved inappropriately, knows he's hurt people, and that he's sincerely sorry for that, his rehabilitation would have been a lot more likely. Maybe it'll all blow over eventually anyway since he's talented, nobody's accused him of an actual crime yet, and he seems to have the support of his fiancee so far, but he's really not doing himself any favors.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This looks ominous.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hav posted:

Monica Lewinsky's Ted talk uses similar terminology. Call out culture allows people to engage in morally superior dogpiling without necessary reflection.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that we've mostly only heard one side of this so far, but going all in on hostile defensiveness without even a hint of apology for anyone who was hurt by actions there may be differing opinions on isn't going to win back any wavering supporters. Address your own poo poo before you decide to become a cultural critic. I don't know if what he did is enough to justify hounding him out of the industry or not, but a bunch of people he knew seem to think he behaved badly, and he hasn't owned up to any wrong doing at all so far, just lashing out with threats of retaliation as he's been accused of doing in the past.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 10, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Bramble posted:

Lottie and AK have both posted formal statements / explanations on recent events.

Lottie: http://weatherfactory.biz/blood-sport-call-out-culture-from-the-other-side/

AK: http://weatherfactory.biz/what-actually-happened/

Still reading / processing, personally. I think Lottie has a good point about the collateral damage the call-out has caused, but I also think her arguments about whisper networks and "what's the goal of call outs" miss the mark as well.

Her point about whisper networks being pretty worthless if nobody bothered to warn her about the guy when she joined the company, started dating him, moved in with him or started a company with him was pretty reasonable though (assuming she's not lying about nobody warning her).

Plus if this part from Alexis's statement is true, it definitely undermines the case against him/moves it more into 'he was a bad boyfriend' rather than 'he was a predator who abused his position' territory, and makes Olivia look pretty bad for not mentioning it:

"But the circumstances were very different than Olivia has publicly suggested. We started a relationship over a year before we worked together. She suggested that I hire her. She explicitly requested that the relationship be kept secret. All of these facts are provable."

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

No one is arguing that whisper networks are the right response to harassment; it’s that they’re often the only response because allegations of harassment are met with reprisals. Yes, whisper networks are bad, come across as gossip, and often miss people who need to know what’s going on; but as along as allegations are met with “I SHALL REPORT YOU TO THE POLICE AND YOU WILL HEAR FROM ALL OF MY LAWYERS”, as per AK’s reaction, whisper networks are all you’re going to get.

There’s a lot else in Lottie’s response that leaves me cold: the insistence that “believe women” must mean believing all women all the time, and if you don’t believe a woman who defends an abuser you must be a hypocrite for not “believing all women,” which is the “all lives matter” of #metoo; admitting that the justice system is flawed and biased towards abusers but then insisting that it’s the only “fair” way to deal with things; including the people who said “I find these allegations unsettling and am removing myself from the issue” as “victims” of the allegations because it’s the accuser’s fault that AK’s reputation was sullied; etc.

I agree that there are bad parts about Lottie's response, but it's not hard to see why she feels let down by all these other women right now. Either the allegations were blown out of proportion and severely disrupted both her personal and professional life for no good reason, or she personally wasn't warned about an abuser who was in a position of power over her at a company with people who knew about the abuse and then wasn't warned about an abuser she decided to make a life and found a company with.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Warthur posted:

I can see how people can end up with that line of thinking, but I think it's based on a misunderstanding of how whisper networks work.

For one thing, whisper networks are by their nature inherently going to have holes in them. Nobody documents who has been told what, because if you did then it wouldn't really be a whisper network, and the upshot of that is that people fall through the cracks. Like skeleton warrior said, they aren't actually a good or optimal way of warning people about missing stairs - but they can be the only way to warn people in many circumstances.

For another, bringing someone into a whisper network is inherently an act of trust, and the closer someone is to someone you're trying to warn people about, the more risky that act of trust is going to look. Are they friendly, are they spending a lot of time together, are they dating, are they engaged, have they set up a business together? Each one of those things individually and cumulatively is going to make people think "Will they take this warning in the spirit it's intended, or will they tell the person I'm warning about that we had this conversation?"

And yeah, there's a certain irony in the fact that this means that the women potentially closest to someone are the last to get added to the whisper network, if they ever are. But that overlooks the number of women who might have gotten closer but didn't, because the whisper network warned them off.

I wasn't saying we should cancel whisper networks, just that it's not hard to see why she feels personally let down by this one since it either exaggerated allegations against her partner or failed to warn her before she tied her whole life to him. Yeah, it makes sense that people might have been afraid to warn her off once they were together, or even afraid of passing on info to anyone inside the company since it would could with greater than usual risk, but as an attractive new hire she's probably the first one who should have been warned before she started dating him if possible, so I don't blame her for feeling let down.

Of course if Alexis is guilty he's a piece of poo poo for exploiting that feeling to turn her into his attack dog, but we'll have to see if Olivia or anyone else has anything to say about his more specific defense.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 16, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Aethernet posted:

An 'enhanced one on one' in which Kennedy has a go at the author for damaging his mental health by highlighting that dating your employee should be reported.

what a fuckstick

He and (especially) Lottie both pulled the mental health card in response to the allegations too. As someone with anxiety issues, I'm sure this whole process has been extremely harmful to his mental health, but you can't just say "I'm depressed" and expect the consequences of your actions to just evaporate. If everything in his response had been true there was certainly a case for reevaluating things, but when he seems to be provably a liar, going back to interviews before the callout happened (ie not just because he's in a panic state), it makes his defense extremely suspect. Maybe it'll still blow over in a few months when he goes to kickstarter and finds out customers don't really care as long as he gives them an interesting game (we've all bought products from people who've done far worse), but doubling down instead of showing even a hint of contrition is going to make it a lot harder for anyone in the gaming community who does have concerns to welcome him back.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 24, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It seems to have gone unremarked upon here so far, but Lottie put out a newsletter saying Book of Hours is on hold and they're going back to work on Cultist Simulator now, then working on an unannounced experimental game, then putting out a smaller version of Book of Hours down the line. She threw in some bullshit about being disappointed in people and the internet too, so the plan is still to be defensive instead of acknowledging that there may have been any reason for anyone to be upset.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tylana posted:

Some of that weird concern of if I like the work of someone with bad opinions, will I skew myself towards them.

He's not an actual cultist wizard so he can't make you be a creep to women if you aren't already one, don't worry.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dalaram posted:

- There doesn’t seem to be nearly any lore. All locations, relics, and people have very little character

Can't help feeling like what's the point after reading that. There must be people who like this and other AK stuff primarily for the gameplay, but I mostly just want more words.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pedro0930 posted:

There's a lot of lore though, at least not any less than the other DLC.

Oh okay cool. I have the perpetual edition, so I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. Honestly I kind of wish he'd just write fiction, and felt massively trolled when he announced he was writing a book but it was about his experiences in the game industry instead of that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If it is selling as well as that review figure suggests, I'm pretty surprised because I haven't seen any press for it anywhere, and I didn't really think Cultist Sim was fun enough that people would be super excited to buy the follow up. But if this game's less tedious, I'm sure I'll get around to playing it one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm on the side of feeling like you should just play the game if it seems fun to you, especially since Alexis seems to have a work situation now where the only person working with him is his wife (so the potential for future wrongdoing seems limited), but to be fair that Failbetter statement was pretty clearly compelled as part of a settlement, and they turned replies off on the tweet for a reason. It's presumably not something they're happy to be saying, and don't want to have to defend/can't explain it for legal reasons anyway. He's said he can't go into it either, but in contrast to their silence he's expressed that he's feeling very good about the outcome.

I don't know if all of that was part of the deal over the bungled sale of the Fallen London IP, or if they were in danger of a court deciding they went too far with some statements and defamed him alongside accurate condemnations of his bad behavior, or some other reason, but in any case I definitely wouldn't read into it that they've all made up and are friends now or anything.