Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We should also keep in mind that Madison's allegations weren't just about sexual harassment, but about a very toxic working environment in general:

-the head of HR at the time also being the wife of the CEO at the time, presenting a very evident conflict of interest
-management having completely unrealistic expectations for employee performance
-a toxic "bro" culture with coworkers having zero idea of the concept of "boundaries"
-being told to talk to the person harassing you first, instead of instantly reporting it to management (including "just go on a date" with the person who's sexually harassing you)
-constantly having your job threatened and being treated like they're doing you a favor employing you in the first place
-petty office politics being taken to the extreme, to where you can't get basic equipment to do your job
-getting poo poo for taking sick days and other time off, because management's unrealistic expectations ended up leading to every work project being in "crunch time" mode every week

And so forth.

a while ago, when some unionization activity was in the news (I think it was the Amazon union stuff?), Linus + Luke got a WAN Show question about unions and whether they'd support one at LMG, etc, and their response wasn't completely awful but it was also pretty clear that neither of them were keen on it.

They did point out that a lot of the worker protections/etc that US workers are fighting for are established law in Canada and already apply to Canadian businesses, but then Linus was also like "I would hope that we run a good and open enough company that they wouldn't have to (unionize), and that if anybody had a problem that they feel comfortable enough talking to me or Luke or Yvonne."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Pretty sure the bigger situation is Madison at this point.

I mean, I would hope so, but like you know nerds and their commitment to ethics in games journalism

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

My only hope is that Dan and Alex aren't assholes because I appreciate Alex's insane half-engineered ideas and Dan's absolute basedness.

I hope Anthony is ok/cool

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

She transitioned. She's Emily now

oh really? that's rad, great for her!

I wonder if that's why they brought in some nobody to do MacAddress (I don't mean it in like a discriminatory sense, but I assume she wasn't interested in headlining a channel while transitioning?)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

mac address guy is good and has also been there while emily was still on camera

yeah mac address guy is fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rio posted:

She said in her coming out video (I’m paraphrasing so hopefully didn’t interpret wrong) that she didn’t want to possibly make trouble for the company which is why she was publicly absent. She had refrained from having anything deemed “political” on her social media (pre-transition) for this reason too.

sucks that the gaming/tech space is so thoroughly poo poo that somebody has to think about their gender identity in terms of "making trouble" like that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

It sucks how many viewers Stephanie Sterling lost. The content is basically unchanged too she still goes as hard as ever!

I was literally thinking about JSS as I was posting

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Not that reg dates are worth anything, but they decided to burn a 20-year-old account over this? WTF

omg this lol

like what did that admin PM even look like

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I hope it was "PLEASE BAN ME YOU BOOTLICKING THUGS" level funny.

checkmate, woke moralists

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Now that this saga has gained national traction it qualifies for one of the nation's most prestigious forms of remembrance

The Cancellation of National Hero Linus Sebastian by The Coward Justin Trudeau

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of nothing, why is 8-bit guy persona non grata here? Is it his 2A weirdness?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
they just played the WAN show clip where Linus is asked about unions in a stream I’m watching.

It was asked by an “anonymous former videographer for a tech channel, who had toured (his) studio” and it was specifically about safeguarding workplace conditions: “What protections do you have in place for your staff? For your camera crew?,”etc

Linus’ response: “I’ve made it very clear in the past that if our staff felt like they needed a union, I would consider that—and Yvonne too—we would both consider it personal failures”

He follows it up by saying that in Canada it would be illegal for him to interfere if his employees ever wanted to unionize, and that he was baffled by the brazenness of anti-labor practices in the USA.

Not as bad a take as I remembered, but still clearly showing all the hallmarks of a “we’re so close here, we’re family” workplace

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultraklystron posted:

It's really tech Viva La Bam or computer Jackass at it's original core

“I’m Johnny Knoxville, and the Net is vast and infinite” swan dives off building as Ghost in the Shell overture plays

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

watch this if what you want to feel this morning is an intense desire to die on the spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSr1dBcrzmw

this man is a husband and a father

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

lol at one comment from 3 years ago (rest today) and it says "ok james"

are you a bad enough dude to survive the holocaust?

only the best people have what it takes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

So is Donald Trump.

Hell, Elon Musk has, what, 10 kids?

yes but this man committed a murder on stage

and recorded it too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I’m diagnosed adhd and autistic and it drives me insane to see people blame bad behavior on those things when no! Broadly speaking, being forgetful and unable to focus doesn’t make you an rear end in a top hat, it’s not a reason or an excuse. :argh:

ADHD is pretty strongly associated with aggression/stress management problems, emotional regulation issues, panic attacks (that can often manifest as aggression in men/boys), and the hyperactivity side of things is even comorbid with poo poo like mania and hypomania.

Much of it is the downstream effects of growing up in society with undiagnosed/untreated ADHD but at least some of it seems to be endemic to the condition itself.

A LOT of adult ADHD gets misdiagnosed as Bipolar Type 2, for example.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CBD Corndog posted:

Back when this was all blowing up, there were a couple people on r/LTT calling James (and a few other old mainstay guys) out for being a Jorp guy based on twitter follows and background stuff in LTT videos. The amount of people swarming in to defend Jorp and justify it as ‘in the beginning he was actually giving good advice’ was incredible

jorp to the torp

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
eyyy, I got yer pound of flesh right here OH!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

If I'm any number of tech channels I'm just chomping at the bit to swoop in and hire Emily, or the Mac Address guy.

now I’m imagining an Apple-biased tech channel that’s just Emily, Mac Address dude, Colin from This Does Not Compute, and Snazzy Labs Quinn

gtfo with that MaxTech Luke Miami Renee Ritchie BULLshit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

Why would you give any benefit of the doubt to LMG at this point?

look we're all mad here, but you should probably go for a walk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Terren Empire

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and legless sandals of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And frosted tips, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Terren, CEO of Linus Media Group:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vic posted:

Part of me really hates reading some takes about LTT because I see them as a bunch of extremely successful bumbling idiots who would totally ignore or downplay what Madison's talking about.

And don't hate it because we need loving Linus Tech Tips or whatever, it's just this exasperation of me realizing how common this kinda stuff must be and how backwards we really are at calling this stuff out before it becomes someone's trauma.

so let me tell you about this company called machinima.....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gros Tarla posted:

Wasn't it a showcase for a product called Eight?

Like of course the number Eight is bound to appear a bunch of times lol.

Goons :allears:

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I'll be honest I don't expect anyone to say a bad thing about ferraris anyway because they're in the class of ur-veblengoods where even if it sucks you're still going to say you love it

mobby_6kl posted:

It's pretty similar with other cars where they'll pay for your whole experience. See the Civic video I edited in. Ferraris was just and example because they're particularly notorious for loving anyone over for driving them wrong or having bad opinions etc.

Jay Leno famously hates Ferrari and doesn't own any, and so do a number of notable well-heeled car collectors, or they only buy them second-hand outside of the company's network

They're actually worse than other luxury car companies because they have a whole "grovel for the dealer" "by invite only" anti-customer reputation which they have actively cultivated and courted for decades. Ferrari have this whole bullshit mystique about who gets to own their cars and who "properly represents the brand" and their official dealers have an obscene amount of leeway in deciding who to sell a particular car to. It's like licensed Rolex dealers except commensurately more money is being moved.

At the most basic level, Ferrari ownership is set up a bit like an MLM: in order to be invited/permitted to buy more expensive or limited cars, prospective customers have to buy cheaper "entry level" Ferraris first. It doesn't matter how much over sticker you're willing to pay, the dealer will ask you to buy and maybe trade back in other cars first. Your company just IPO'd and you've got your eye on a Daytona SP3 track car that you can now comfortably afford? Too bad. Your Ferrari owner score is too low (this is a real thing) and you'll have to be with the brand a bit longer before we can let you cut in line like that. Maybe if you got your wife a Purosangue as an early birthday gift, and picked yourself up an F8 or a Roma for daily driving, we might be able to bump you up into the waiting list.

And it goes way, way beyond that. Ferrari dealership owners get invited to customers' family weddings and holiday parties. They get expensive gifts- somebody in AI once posted a story about a dude buying bottles of Pappy Van Winkle for the entire sales and service staff at their local as a "thinking of you" gift- but I've heard of people giving poo poo as diverse as hot tubs and expensive watches and trips. They get labor and property work done under the table. They get timeshare and vacation home access. They get straight-up bribes. I'm sure dealers have hosed customers' spouses for allocations.

Like with the aforementioned Rolex example, it takes on the shape of this long-form BDSM relationship for a lot of these men who otherwise have everything. Even with millions of dollars, you still can't have it. It's too exclusive. What are you willing to do for it? How much palm greasing will it take? For guys who always get what they want it must be like a drug.

And as you might imagine, Ferrari's whole thing about "people who properly represent the brand" is entirely nebulous and fucky. Originally I guess it's supposed to mean poo poo like "not selling to open criminals or mafiosi", but in practice it historically could mean poo poo like "don't sell to rich black guys" and it still means "dealer gets final say in who gets to buy a car". During the early gangsta rap years, an artist having new rare Ferraris was a sign of particular wealth and well-connectedness, because there were a lot of rappers whom the company like straight up wouldn't sell certain cars to and so you had to get them grey market.

A big part of Lamborghini's ascendancy after the VW acquisition, and Porsche's establishment as a supercar company selling $300k+ cars, is simply them taking the radical approach of selling a car to anybody who asks assuming that they can finance it. Turns out you can sell a surprising number of supercars that way, but Ferrari isn't really in the business of selling cars. They're a race team and an aspirational lifestyle brand, and the legacy car business for rich assholes helps prop up the other two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

Also weird co-branded laptops and monitors for a while there.

Ferrari's financial bread and butter is selling baseball caps, polo shirts, and sneakers to Eurotrash sales managers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

The comments on any Jalopnik article on Tesla are always a nightmare.

lol the posts in the AI Tesla fanboy EV thread on Tesla aren’t any better but that’s arguably the mods’ fault

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

do it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shugojin posted:

how about a more general purpose yet still appropriate:

YouTube tech idiots: not a good idea

that one isn't funny like the other idea was

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now in the relevant thread over in that LTT subreddit, everyone's piling on Steve/GN now. Like what the gently caress.

kliras posted:

a few days ago, the mods limited people who can comment to ltt regulars or something like that (for reasons that make a decent amount of sense wrt brigading), but it also makes it much easier for subreddit sentiment to do a 180 much quicker

it's what some people in cspam would call a "compaction cycle"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

I watched that yesterday and I noticed he kept his A/C at 72F... is that normal in Texas? I typically keep mine at 78F, and I'm not even trying that hard to conserve energy. You'd think a guy trying to run his entire house on solar energy for a day would turn his thermostat up a bit...

"room temp" is 70-72. I think a lot of ppl would find 78 approaching the "uncomfortably warm indoors" range

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my parents got heat pump mini splits for their house last year and it's made me so jealous of what maybe could've been had they heeded that sears commercial in the 90s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/x6zypc_LhnM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

namlosh posted:

I agree that RCR was never about reviewing cars…

My favorite is the Dodge Caliber one that essentially breaks down post modernism and barely mentions the vehicle except to say it sucks. Having owned one, that’s pretty much all that needed to be said

I think the Dodge Challenger one is good too and he even mentions it as one of his most vulgar episodes lol

I was not surprised to find out he’s gay but very surprised to find out he was in the closet this whole time… good for him for being himself. Makes me very happy

I love RCR and have since 2013, but Brian's takes on Postmodernism are quasi-reactionary dogshit and not at all far from what somebody like Jorp says about Postmodernism. His personal politics have shifted a bit since those videos (not that he was ever remotely right wing or anything like that, but he was a closeted nerdy white dude from the sticks of PA with degrees in English education and an obsession with cars so of course he was gonna be a political "centrist" on a lot of poo poo-- like was it a Prius, or other similar vehicle, where he unironically ranted about SJWs and virtue signaling for a bit before ultimately concluding that the car in question was, on balance, a force for good?)

In any case, him coming out explained his obsession with foreskins

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 23, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mewse posted:

Is this one of the guys that does "Car Trek" with tavarish because that crew is insufferable

that whole crew is pretty dingdang right wing, if you needed more reasons not to watch

Like Idk about the other dude, and Hoovie’s just a dumb mostly-“apolitical” rich kid from corn country who inherited a bunch of family money, but Tavarish in particular is apparently super into far right, ‘capital-F fascism’ poo poo

He does a good job of keeping it under wraps and not loving with his finances, but he’s also tried launching various explicitly political ventures over the years, and I’d be shocked if his money isn’t helping to fund some of the people that you’ve heard of

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Tim Hortens is basically Canadian Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is a bit different.

That being said, there was a Tim Hortens and Cold Stone combination store by my house for a few years and it was awesome getting a donut ice-cream sandwich.

don’t sell yourself so short. Tim Horton’s is way better than what Dunkin (it’s just Dunkin now) has become.

Tim Horton’s is like Honeydew, which is the regional Massachusetts chain that is better than Dunkin in every way except availability/store locations and maybe speed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

About 17% of their diehard fans in about a week and a half. Even with everyone at the lowest $5 tier that's about 35k per month. My guess is there are a fair number like me who haven't canceled yet to see Linus do something really stupid.
Yeah, there are diehards who are going to stay, but a lot of his base is already gone. Last week was a hell of a one-two punch.

lol you're a floatplane subscriber?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I started paying for YouTube like ~five years ago when I put together some sleep playlists after a lovely breakup, and I just never stopped once YouTube became my primary source of “TV-like” media

Turns out that you end up watching and listening to a ton more content when it isn’t full of obnoxious Google ads every 10 minutes

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah whenever he has shown off his room it is poopsocker level

Asmongold is fascinating because he has more money than God now, but he lives like the grossest college sophomore you remember.

Like there are old clip compilations of him looking mortified as a housekeeper comes through midstream and just starts digging through his literal bags of trash in the background. I think now he’s learned to just tune them out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know. It was in the context of him having tons of grand opinions about everything and anything on his Youtube channel, and then being bamboozled by a loving pan and spatula.

you wrote this uncannily like that particular streamer's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hellequin posted:

lmao, the overstuffed bookshelf (one of three in the room) that shows up in frame behind me was what convinced me I wasn't the right type for streaming. I also own many "problematic" books sooooo.

like hentai?