Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

OK, someone tell me that's the problem here?

In addition to the implication of Madison only relating what happened to her out of selfishness, the phrase itself is from The Merchant of Venice, which is a pretty aggressively antisemitic work. (This is also where "shylock" as a pejorative for Jews comes from; it's the name of the villain, who is a Jew, who had required another character to put up a "pound of flesh" as collateral for a loan.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

lol are people seriously trying to cancel loving shakespeare now. good luck removing him and his contributions from the english language.

e: like the idea of telling someone not to use a word or phrase from Shakespeare in English because you think the original work is "problematic" is hilarious.

To be clear I don't think it actually is generally used in an antisemitic fashion, I'm explaining one of the reasons it sets some people off.

(The Merchant of Venice is absolutely not kind to Jews though, it's hosed up)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

A few years ago, woodworking CPM in the USA was more like $11-13. I don't think Linus's coterie of nerds is gonna pull that much, but they probably do way better than $4 all-in when whatever risers and kickbacks that keep them on YouTube are factored in.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have to think you could do pretty well with some eyeballed 3d prints, though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

well why not posted:

i was thinking about flexible ducts, like portable A/C units have.

Flex ducting is a "if you have to" thing and tends to really hurt air throughput, and depending on how thick they are they tend to lose heat out of them too.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've never bought computer stuff from Temu and wouldn't, but their woodworking and 3d printing stuff has all been as-ordered.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Meanwhile, GN did me a solid when they announced their new mat. Put a hold on my existing order for the old one, let me order the new, canceled the old. Remarkably painless for a small seller.

Ok Comboomer posted:

how are temu 3D printers?

Oh I don't mean their printers, I'm not insane, I meant supplies - screws, extrusion, nozzles, occasionally some special offer filament (mostly TPU). All fine.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm trying to get one more year out of the 3900X my old job paid for before I do an AM5 refresh. No thanks to you, Steve Nexus, now I hate DDR4

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Koskun posted:

Bunker Branding is a company that a number of other youtubers use for their merchandise. It is owned by a youtuber, Demolition Ranch.

To add to this, a content creator using Bunker Branding should be an orange-to-red flag that you're watching chuds or people accepting of chuds. They are not quality people to do business with.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the inside word on this because the Demolition Ranch guy always seems to have avoided saying obviously chud poo poo

Shot (that's Brandon Herrera):

https://twitter.com/DemolitionRanch/status/1690577834245345281

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/DemolitionRanch/status/1705042640348045330

He's a chud.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Coffee Jones posted:

8 bit guy covers a similar thing when he did production of Planet X3 - his DOS PC game

LGR isn’t a weird chud though. (I hope.)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah I mean, I found out about the gun poo poo later, the first thing that tipped me off was that he did a studio build video and was like "my electrician looked like Morgan Freeman!" because he was an older black dude.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them.

they are incorrect and I will fight them in the street

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Klyith posted:

a. It's much much harder to do at youtube scale, and with videos that aren't live streaming. Note that twitch doesn't try the same thing for recorded vids.

What makes you say it’s harder to do injection into VOD HLS than livestreamed, or (noticeably) more difficult at YT scale?

mobby_6kl posted:

We already have sponsorblock for this lol

Not if the segments move on a regular basis. SponsorBlock depends on standard timestamps.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Klyith posted:

It's computationally harder to splice ads into the HSL (or DASH) stream than it is to just serve the ads and then the video like youtube does now. Not very hard, but at youtube scale even a small amount of computation matters.

You're right on the first part, but whether you're right on the second is harder to figure out. Google-scale compute is weird and I don't think I'd be as certain about the inability as you are, especially with a sufficiently clever edge implementation.

Klyith posted:

Random ad segments anywhere in the video is a loving unwatchable experience.

Great upsell for Premium, then!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

No, I don't want to see Mr. Beast ever again.
Does "don't recommend channel" not work for you?

I don't see any of the garbage-poo poo people mention here, and I blocked them years and years ago.

(the shorts and search poo poo can gently caress off though)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Is that true? Because I GTFO'd turds like the 8-bit Guy years ago and with my interests I'd expect to see his poo poo again by now if so.

BlockTube is cool, though. I used it when I didn't watch on a phone as much.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

In fairness my recommendations have been weird lately too, but it's weird on the "you watch one particular Rimworld content creator, so here's a parade of let's plays of similar games from people with 200 views".

I guess I'd rather that than whatever low opinion of you the algorithm has for y'all.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Harminoff posted:

Found an interesting channel that does like form deep dives into some tech. Here's part one of the history of Windows

https://youtu.be/vqt94b8bNVc?si=SvgZxEKO_vBpHNyN

Another Boring Topic has a ton of great stuff. Top tier watch.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Xakura posted:

Your chromium-based horse don't look all that high to me :shrug:

cool people have horses made of geckos

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The best bang for your buck next year will probably still be the 7800X3D. Clock bump would be nice, but probably not nicer than the price drop.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Has Nebula improved their streaming bitrate? Their videos were pretty grungy last I used it.

Streaming bandwidth is very expensive regardless of bitrates, though, so a lifetime membership is a very scary prospect. It makes you a net loss much sooner than you might expect.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm the only person who needs to access my systems, so I just use Parsec on Macs and PCs. I don't have a great option other than tailscale + platform-specific stuff if you need a team though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Email is complicated. You have reading to do and it's probably not something a thread on SA will get you unless you happen to abuse the goodwill of somebody else who has already done the reading for you. Or,

Dewgy posted:

The dictionary doesn’t define how mail servers work, hth

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Shipon posted:

I mean. I love what GN Steve does and he's very well-informed and right to the point about his information, but good god his videos can be a snooze-fest at times. LTT for better or worse knows how to present in an entertaining way that isn't boring as hell. This can obviously be stupid clickbait stuff that's wrong half the time but well, that's what all of news media has always been.

I'm currently a patron of GN and I can deal with the snooze factor, the information is worth it, but the puffery around their operation has been getting on my nerves more and more lately. I don't need the "nobody else is covering this" or the "we have designed really good processes for measuring fan noise here's our B-roll" in every video about a topic. We know GN is good, that's why we're watching it, act like you've been here before.

I could also do with a lot less of the attempted business analysis in their news segments. Their coverage of the Unity story where they breathlessly reported Riccitello's (scheduled, small-scale, and unsurprising) stock sales was an embarrassing one.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 25, 2023

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

watho posted:

i just find gamers nexus to be just a deeply embarrassing channel name

just rename to Steve, Thanked

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

GN is far from perfect, and I agree that some of their "industry insights" or whatever will make your eyes roll out of your head. BUT! However! You can actually trust their reviews and know they're going to call a turd a turd, and that elevates the channel to like the top .1% of all review channels on youtube.

that's why I give them money, and now I can't stop because my eyes have rolled out of my head and bounced down the hallway, help

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Eletriarnation posted:

Look at System76 if you don't believe that niche laptops can exist and even thrive.

It's been a while - does System76 actually make computers now, or are they rebadges?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Eletriarnation posted:

If they're adding enough value to Clevo rebadges to sell them at a large enough margin to make a sustainable business out of it, I'm not sure why it matters. What proportion of PC vendors actually own the factories making the laptops? (e: Better way to ask it, what proportion of PC laptops are sold directly by their manufacturer?) How many factories does Apple own?

So when a prior company dealt with System76 because we had some Linux nerds who were picky that they'd be gettin' a Dell, they did not do anything with the actual hardware and were effectively an OS vendor. They weren't specifying hardware, and for enterprise-level talks, they could not make changes--not for even a suitably enterprisey price, they just couldn't. Clevo owned the product line. System76 was a sticker. I was asking in good faith whether that had changed.

Dell, Lenovo, et al absolutely can spin you large runs of customized hardware because they do own or control the stack, so yes, it matters quite a lot, and is why I asked. (Apple is a special case, where they generally have ready access to upmarket SKUs so I've never heard of anyone feeling the need to ask them for it, but I'm sure it exists somewhere.)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 25, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

Doesn't Dell have models they ship Linux on? Especially for enterprise prices, you'd figure the Linux experience would be pretty good. Unless these were like deep in the kool aid Linux nerds who complained about binary firmware blobs and poo poo.

They do. But if they could complain about having to have a Dell like the little people, by gosh, they were going to—this was back before everyone and their product manager’s dog had a Mac and if you didn’t you weren’t “part of the crowd”, granted, but no less insufferable.

I have a Linux desktop and a k8s cluster in my house and I fervently hope somebody will Old Yeller me before I become a Linux Guy.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It'll display brighter ends of the HDR spectrum eye searingly bright at times, especially compared to most other screens that support HDR, while still being able to display the darker parts of the image.

Those "most other screens" weren't considered HDR screens until manufacturers complained that OLED et al had a piece of flair that they did not

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BobHoward posted:

the checker shadow illusion is a good demonstration
tag yourself, I'm the Chubb illusion

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Shipon posted:

OLED or don't bother with HDR basically

Modern mini-LED displays (so not Samsung's older QLED stuff, though I haven't tried their newer TVs) are as good or better at rendering contrast ranges as OLED. I like my LG OLED TV just fine and the color reproduction might be a touch better, but like, Apple didn't move to mini-LED instead of OLED because they wanted "good enough".

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

The rumor mill says that they’re moving iPad Pro to OLED in the next month or so, which is good because even with the gazillion dimming zones, the light bleed is pretty noticeable (dark mode and a mouse is a recipe for a glowy box surrounding your cursor). I think the issues preventing them from going with OLED previously were cost and yield.

I'd heard that, though I haven't used an iPad Pro (mere Air plebe) to speak to it. Local dimming is really good in my M1 Max MBP though, I genuinely don't notice the difference. Going from that to my (nice but IPS) desktop monitors really sucks sometimes.

Volte posted:

It's not really possible to be better than OLED at contrast given that the black pixels are emitting literally zero light. OLED's main weaknesses (other than burn-in potential which is real, but often overemphasized) are the lack of brightness compared to other tech (which is improving) and the cost.

Sorry right, that's what I mean - mini-LED's higher brightness gives you more contrast headroom on the high end.

OLED is improving, too, of course, and I don't mean to suggest there's a problem with them. IMO modern display technology is approaching "roughly interchangeable, modulo display size" in ways that make it a bit navel-gazey.

Now I do want a new TV though. I bought the last LG OLED model before HFR, so on the TV I still play at 60Hz while my desktop downstairs is approximately a billion.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Shipon posted:

i don't know how people can just blindly trust code generated by chat GPT or whatever, you don't know what it's doing or else you would have written it yourself!!!

YMMV, but I never use LLMs for code I can’t write, but rather for obvious stuff and tedium that I’d rather have configured to taste instead of finding something and fitting it in. I’m a pretty good developer, but like, I can dictate a problem using Whisper (my hands are beat up, and I’m clearer when speaking anyway) to GPT4 (for personal uses, at work we use self-hosted models, which are much worse) and get something that I can give a quick once-over before integrating. It’s faster for me to review it and “go back and fix XYZ” than to churn out an API endpoint or an ORM call or whatever. I’ve also found that you can make a “custom GPT” and prompt it with stylistically desirable code in ways that all prompts using that have pre-baked, and it’s had the nice side effect of, say, making it super pedantic about quality logging and error messaging. (For getting that as autocomplete rather than a chat interface, I’ve found that Codeium is really good, better than GitHub Copilot, and free to use.)

I don’t let it write stuff like authn/authz code, but I absolutely have used it to generate tests for that sensitive code; I find it helpful to either write the tests myself and tell the LLM to satisfy them, or to write the code myself and have the LLM write tests either beforehand to give some TDD red/green lights for development, or afterwards to capture the behavior of the code I’ve written.

This stuff really does work and work well as (competent) senior+ augmentation, and I think that dismissing it because the hypebros are tedious idiots is going to surprise some folks. For code at least (and maybe very little beyond code and voice-to-text transcription, but without question for those) these things are game-changers. I think it will definitely cause a future talent pipeline stall, and I don’t know what we do about that—but it’s not like I’m getting reqs for juniors anyway.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 23, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's great that it's working for you, but there's mounting evidence to suggest that it's bad for a big portion of people (open access) - and critically, that portion is the majority, who'll be taking over your code in the future.
This link comes up a lot. I wouldn’t say that the paper establishes nothing, but I also wouldn’t say that it says very much. I investigated their GitHub when it first came out, and while I understand how they got to their conclusion I think that taking a snapshot of a year ago, using mediocre-to-bad queries and trailing-edge tools—Copilot is not very good and really shouldn’t be trusted for more than really basic substitution and autocomplete; it’s why I moved to Codeium, which is more generally aware of project structure, multiple files, and seems to have a better internal “book” for the languages I use—and projecting it out to the horizon (which the authors aren’t but most of the people who are referring to the paper implicitly are) is unwise both if you want to know how to use these tools effectively or if you don’t like their existence (and while I find them very useful, I would prefer a world where they didn’t exist, but that’s arguing with the weather) and want to measure them accurately.

I think the strongest argument you can take from that paper is basically “if you lack a strong enough understanding of what you’re doing to clearly specify a problem and if you lack the theory of not-actually-a-mind to frame instructions in a way that prioritizes what you care about, you’ll get bad results.” Well yeah, no poo poo? It’s also true for Stack Overflow, which I’ve been downstream of and having to fix or reject for years. When not guided there are obvious problems with regards to LLMs generating lovely, context-unaware and non-DRY code. And if you let it write crypto or your ACL code it probably does a bad job of it. So know your tools and loving fire people who treat them as oracles rather than tools.

I emphatically don’t disagree that in the large, the pedagogical and practical effects of overreliance before you understand the problem domain are almost certainly real, but like, I’m a principal not an exec; I can’t control that except through code review and establishing standards, which I’d need to do anyway—and I don’t have a way to hire juniors (regardless of calendar age) at the day job nor the money to hire them for personal projects.

quote:

This is further exacerbated by management seeing dollar signs when they can hire a fresh-from-graduation person who'll cost significantly less, and they've already convinced themselves that LLM NNs will ~somehow~ make everything better, despite the fact that they have no clue how, if you press them on it.
Well no poo poo, but that is a different argument from “does it work for some things”. That it shouldn’t be in a decision loop is orthogonal to whether it effectively generates code for human review. My experience is that when operated by somebody who knows their rear end from a hole in the ground, the current generation has demonstrated that they can create multiplicative value, and even or especially if you don’t like LLMs, pretending that that isn’t the case is underestimating the thing you don’t like and that carries a lot of risk on its own.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Apple Vision Pro and Tesla Cybertruck are a consumer electronics match made in heaven

There will be an Apple Vision that, if not for everyone, at least does a good job at what it is. There will never be a Cybertruck that is good on any axis

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I really like GN but they really do have two problems for me: they absolutely sometimes break their arm patting themselves on the back and they don't understand corporate activity and the laws around that activity well enough to be talking about it as much as they want to. It's the most Gamer part of GN, the part that speaks confidently about under-researched stuff. Otherwise, they're great, and I'm happy to give them money for all the other good stuff they do.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

namlosh posted:

YouTube premium has the ability to add a couple more accounts as a “family deal”. I have my wife and daughter under my YouTube premium account and (thank god) their YouTube histories don’t affect mine at all. Maybe that’s just because we pay more for family plan though? Idk

Family accounts are separate, but so are brand accounts. Your recommendations should be distinct across brand accounts, and brand accounts and "you".

The reason is that YouTube's authentication layer, under the hood, is the remains of Google+. A YouTube channel is basically a Facebook "page", but in G+ speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

njsykora posted:

The iPhone camera island exists mainly because someone at Apple got self conscious of how Android phones had 1% more (unusable) screen space because they were using hole punches instead of the notch.

this is absolutely true, but I gotta say, the way Apple did the island actually really kind of rules, with the way it puts maps and media up there. I did not like The Notch, I kinda do like The Island.