Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VostokProgram posted:

why pay nearly two grand when a $500 console appears to do the exact same task?

When the consoles are not in stock, a gaming pc is the next best thing for a non-technical parent/grandparent. Right now my local GameStop has a counter with a DAYS SINCE THE LAST SERIES X SHIPMENT which is always in the triple digits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LionArcher posted:

My parents still do their accounting on a MacBook Pro from 2002. The battery is dead but it turns on and has the accounting software they prefer.

Hard to do the same on a modern MacBook with soldered storage, that’s going to give eventually, requiring a full logic board replacement. Modern MacBooks are pretty much going to last as the flash chips, logic board replacement is pretty expensive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Sound ewaste comment

A non-insignificant part of Linus viewer base buys the new parts by selling their old pcs to friends and family, the “turn into a server” is for money bags, esp nowadays where a top end build can reach motorcycle prices.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

K8.0 posted:

If Linus paid someone to do this poo poo for him, he'd have less money because he paid them and less money because he wouldn't get to make this video. I don't feel like that's hard to understand.

If Linus picked up the phone and called dell or hpe, they would have shipped and configured one of their big storages for free. It's hubris.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I don’t think i saw steve this angry in a while, also lol at customer protection law in the us being such a joke

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Seagate STxx000NM the same as the STxx000VN drives? Because I got the 10TB Ironwolves for my NAS. :|

He got a crate of exos, the equivalent of wd golds. Ironwolf are a lower tier in their catalog.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

All this hard drive crap is pissing me off. I went with the 10TB ones, because that's when they switch to helium currently. I was hoping that this is just a relabelled enterprise drive of theirs, just with less warranty.

Their real datacenter kit have distinctive internal mechanics and logic boards, there is minimal correlation with their consumer kit beside packaging and basic techs. The only brand that made consumer products at datacenter standards was hgst(formerly ibm) and they stopped doing so when the Chinese regulators walking orders(stay independent until 2016) for letting the purchase from wd proceed were done.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

entertainment youtube channel: "here's a silly thing you can technically do but probably shouldn't"
BSD: "loving pathetic"

lol c'mon. why would you take LTT so seriously?

Cause it's not advertising itself as a tech comedy channel but as a tech news channel so newcomers without a clue will take it for gospel

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

...Did you see the video? The part where linus dresses up as a mad scientist and cackles maniacally might clue people into it not being serious tech news. They then go on to talk about why it's a dumb idea in a manner that's kinda interesting. They aren't telling anyone to do this.

GamerNexus will do funny skits as opening to their factual content videos so looking like idiots isn't exclusive to tech comedy. If they put all their "we are idiots doing fun stuff" in a dedicated channel i would accept your point but last time i checked they put both reviews and idiocy in the same main LTT channel.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ok i'm curious now. Assuming Linus needs all that space, what would a sensible 1.2TB storage solution look like and how much would it cost?

1.2tb could be done with two barebone two-bays nas in staggered sync(async mirror). 12tb+ should be done with a set of 4-6 bay units over raid6 to limit disk mortality issues.

Brands depends on budget and RTO/RPO. If nbd or 4h is required, you will need enterprise tech like emc/hds or hpe, otherwise if longer times are acceptable, you can use smb brands like synology or qnap.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sorry that was 1.2PB that Linus had.

1.2pb with intermediate access times would call for a two-three trays storage array, possibly with basic block live compression features. I would use a couple of high density lff trays (2U/60 disks) and 10-12tb sas 7.2 drives along with a tray with few sff 12g sas ssd to provide caching and hot data access.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Using truenas?

Haha someone on the Linus Tech Tips forums noted that a Petabyte of storage on AWS Glacier can be as cheap as 990$ a month.

I was thinking something along the lines of a hds vantara g-series (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/flash-storage/vsp-g-series.html) with dual controllers to start with, possibly going upscale if iops constraints are higher.

Sure you can get glacier storage at that prices but if you need to do reads too you are going to get far more onerous bills.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 8, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Given the public outrage, i am expecting newegg will introduce what Amazon is doing in certain euro locales (first 3-5 returns in a quarter will be effortless, afterwards the reps will get up into your rear end to even accept the return). It's the best compromise to look nice without messing up the kpi too much

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Helter Skelter posted:

The video of Steve's visit to Microcenter just went up, and it's very heartwarming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmWpqbV9KA

A tech youtube channel not being a turbo rear end in a top hat is kinda refreshing

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would Ubiquiti sponsor a pair of airFiber radios to shoot a signal about 50m while the roof of each building is sat in the fresnel zone, or do they just work on the basis of "Linus is talking about our brand, this is good"?

Pera loves to drop crates of Ubiquiti kit to influencers, it's not a new thing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

It's a good idea and it's fun. Ubiquiti is trying to be Apple like so of course they're gonna send the most expensive overkill poo poo to show on screen. People already brag about having UDM Pros serving a house that has DSL lol

You don't get a UDM because you need speed, you get a UDM because you don't want the shitshow that is EdgeOS and their USG lineup.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wibble posted:

Amazon is wank for PC parts in all of europe.

In Italy they are one of the best for availability on 12gen intel, going to other standard retailers means getting months of wait for parts.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another round of "bash alienware" from Steve

https://youtu.be/DY1dlVPzUVo

That case is dire need of a serious redesign. Steve point of custom motherboards being bad still wrong tho, nobody is going to keep upgrading those prebuilt beyond swapping disks, gpu and ram, which are all user upgradable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

I'm rather surprised that Dell out of all companies isn't willing to put up money for tools for a new case with better cooling in mind. Sure it is rather expensive (six figures at minimum), but the amount of systems Dell sells the cost should be negligible but cheap owners are going to be well cheap.

Funnily enough Dell remakes their namebrand cases for every new generation. Their precision cases are far better to look at and work on than this plastic abomination, nobody would say anything bad if they just add a new Alienware bezel on those and call it a day

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

People upgrade prebuilts all the time. I took my shity Pentium 4 HP machine and ship-of-theseused it one part at a time, swapping the motherboard at some point before replanting everything into a new case.

Proprietary motherboards suck rear end and are unnecessarily limiting, and steve is right to be mad at them.

Maybe it's anedoctal but everyone i met who is happy to spend the dough for a Alienware, omen or legion will simply throw the computer away or sell it out whole when they are done with it, people who wants to play ship of Theseus will grab a cheap prebuilt at a local computer shop instead for half the price.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Adolf Glitter posted:

Not sure if many of you will know this channel, not that it matters I guess.
Anyway, recently I have been having to skip his frst 30 seconds as it it is just too manic. Now that I think of it, I don't always watch to the end, or have to watch a bit at a time as it's just over the top. I watched an older video from a couple of years back and the difference is hilarious.
What is it that causes this over the top poo poo, it grinds my gears. I get it (but still hate it) if if is Gamer stuff, or aimed at kids, but this guy is talking about servers. High end stuff too sometime, like liquid cooled exotic boxen. Sometimes it's $100,000s of dollars worth, that gets introduced and described like he's trying to hype up a 1990s Nickelodeon show live audience just before someone gets covered in green slime. It's pretty funny, but nobody should talk about a Thinkstation like that lol. Just watch a couple of seconds of one, then the other and I think you'll get what I mean.

Before (well, 2 years ago)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2F2TlASaRw

After....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiTSzeV1ML8

Youtube algorithm seems to incentivate sugar rush high hyper active nerds for tech content

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://youtu.be/ZtnBr-v2ufs

It looks like most of the thermal issues were due to using a 140mm AIO when the front had ready to use 240mm holes. If dell had used a less shite/cheap asetek it would run up to spec or better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Warmachine posted:

Well there's your problem: you live in at least a semi-civilized country.

Sometimes I like to take a break from the hot breaking news cycle of tech idiots and relax with some LGR, and I found an older one that is going to haunt my nightmares. No hard drive should ever sound like that. :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYEbv26AFc

A colleague purchased one of them new and the disk/fan made horrible noises fresh out of the box since the whole frame/chassis is stupid brittle/fragile. Give it a couple of solid hit unwillingly and it will start screaming like a howling banshee.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

more of a general knowledge question: is USB-C as a connector more expensive than micro-USB, at scale, such that we're still going to be seeing a divide between them in cheap vs. premium parts/components moving forward, or can we expect universal adoption of USB-C, if it hasn't happened already?

Given that Europe mandated usb-c on pretty much every phone produced after 2023, microusb will slowly evaporate from anything but dollar store products as economies of scale will make female C connectors as cheap if not more than micro-usb.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Are ther any new phones with micro-usb sold now? My Note9 was USB-C, but so was my mom's Redmi 7 or whatever which was anything but high-end a few years back when we got it.

TCL, Redmi, Nokia and shovelware on Amazon off the top of my head. Think less than 125€ per device rather than 300€+ .

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

I've heard that the main cost overhead of USB-C isn't in the connectors, but in the cables, as the terminations still need to be hand-assembled

That's a cost cutting choice, not a technology limitation

https://www.cablecutting.net/Automatic-USB-Type-C-Cable-Soldering-Machine.html

Machine-based termination is possible, just more expensive that handing skilled workers a soldering iron and having them go to town

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

Honestly it has been quite a bit more venting ever since the Nvidia youtube shenanigans, but most if not all of the venting has been pretty much justifiable any way you look at it.

And his latest rant feels completely reasonable. Wouldn't you be annoyed if they took all of the windows and doors and locks right before you moved in?

If the previous owner didn't include the safety equipment in the sale contract, that's on Linus not reading the fine print. Commercial sales contracts usually include just the building and little else.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

It seems strange that you can make a building non-compliant with code as you move out but commercial rents are basically "gently caress you, pay me" so it wouldn't be totally surprising.

Eh, it sorta makes sense since a lot of safety equipment is bound to the sizes of the machines installed, if the original machines are not included, what good does say a safety rail for a lathe do if the lathe isn't there?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Adolf Glitter posted:

That video is infuriating. Firmware for light bulbs? What the gently caress.

Welcome to zigbee smart home, thankfully hue doesn't update very often.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

power crystals posted:

He sure seems like he wants the ability to compete with GN etc. in terms of technical ability but I'm very curious what the presentation will be like. I have a hard time believing he'll manage to have an LMG channel put out videos nearly as dry as GN manages, but that's what you need to actually fairly compare anything non-trivial. Not to mention, if they're really trying to review every single product category or whatever, how many videos a week is that going to take?

CPUs are a yearly affair but it can be distributed over a couple of quarters if you do EVERY SKU under the sun. Same with GPUs. Motherboards have a shitload more items to fetch and so does AIO and accessories. If they go with one type of review per day(one day CPU, one day GPU, one day MOBO, one day cooling, one day input/output devices), every week, they can fill a calendar year easily.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

how is a 3080 and a 12th gen i7 "entry-level 4k gaming"

Crysis remastered at ultra settings?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dude is 35, last time i checked that age bracket is "adult" or "geriatric" depending on who you ask

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles Leclerc posted:

Lmao if 35 is "geriatric" you're a loving moron, sit at the children's table and eat your chicken nuggies.

I was born on april 1986 so i'm a loving expert on "people born in 1986 not being young anymore".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people really steal bags and not get all the high value items out of them ASAP before ditching the bag?

Depending on brands, sometimes the bag is more expensive than the contents. Thiefs will check the logos on it before ditching it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I feel like there has been some under the scenes fights cause steve looked serious-angry at the issue rather than the usual joking-angry.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

maaaybe, but more in a kickstarter type of way. i am more concerned with their ifixit-like kit of screwdrivers etc where obviously it's absurd to not offer a significant warranty for hard metal tools. even if it's just a phillips screwdriver, that stuff clearly just needs to be top tier

Most computer/electronics stuff uses screws with very soft metal so the "stress" on a tool not made from the shittiest pot metal will easily not damage a toolset for the seven years provided by GN. You don't need Beta screwdrivers for repairing a Dell.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

he has a side channel for that kind of thing but he hasn't posted anything there for a year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

He moved that kind of videos to GN extras.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

Or you bought the $250 backpack and absolutely need to have the screwdriver to go in the pocket specifically designed for it.

LTT hosed up by not having the handles unable to fit in any tool drawer organizer but only the backpack.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

I know he's less of a computer weirdo and more of a lifestyle tech person, but I gotta say I've been watching more and more of MKBHD and I'm really impressed. Just proving you can sustainably do thoughtful, balanced content full of good advice that isn't clickbaity or shrill.

MKBHD has zero criticism or content beyond the OEM press release, it's like going to apple.com to get a critical review of iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Soul Glo posted:

These days a “review” is just an overview and letting the audience come to their own conclusions.

What I'm not terribly happy on MKBHD "reviews" is that there are lot of lying by omission. His AirPods Max video speak wonders about the microphones for noise cancellation and such while forgetting to tell that you will sound like talking in a bathtub in any call.