Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

In short
-Gamers Nexus does their first video
-Linus responds on the forums, defensive and warping the narrative
-Gamers Nexus responds in their news video and says ok we’re done
-Madison, former social media for LLT, posts her story of a toxic work environment and sexual harassment and how she left 2 years ago
-Hours later, LLT posts their “apology” video which is incredibly middling, including sponsor jokes, Linus continuing to be defensive, and so on. Does not address the Madison stuff, was filmed prior. They put a pause on video production for one week.
-Linus says he had no idea about the Madison stuff, shocked appalled, etc.
-An anonymous Reddit user reposts a recording from 2 years ago, originally leaked 6 months ago, it’s a recording of the internal meeting the entire company had after Madison left, where they go over harassment policies and such, suggesting Linus and management knew why she left and had to reiterate internal policies.
-Various LLT past and present employees continue to post short messages largely corroborating or supporting Madison’s posts.
-The WAN Show was cancelled, to the sadness of us all.

Isn't the thing that kicked things off a snarky comment some guy in Labs made on video that took shots at Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Branch Nvidian posted:

Emily seems to be fine.

And Emily has made some tweets to the effect that she will be refraining from speaking about the Madison situation publicly unless asked by Madison herself, to prevent any issues or conflicts with the ongoing investigation and her status as a current LMG employee.

She did also clarify that she is pushing for change in how the production process is handled, most likely about all the crunch that is the root of many issues on that side of things.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a bunch of those "restoration" channels out there. I strongly, strongly suspect that there is a content mill churning a few channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the older ones are what they say on the tin, but there's been this slew of copycats that all have some very similar camera work and similar use of the performative "tap the tool on the thing being restored" semi-ASMR things. I've seen separate channels for knives, toys, tools, guns, and car parts that all have a similar enough feel that I suspect they're being made by a single group. Plus, the algorithm seems to really privilege them. They're up there with family guy compilations when it comes to clicking one leading to the algo feeding you nothing but that for the next month. Which, frankly, is something that happens with LTT too, I strongly suspect that YouTube really pushes stuff they want to promote if you show even a hit of interest.

The thing that gets me about them is how they gently caress with color levels to enhance rust and make it look worse for thumbnails than it is. I did a post elsewhere about that a while ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

It's unfortunately the nature of the beast. If a new type of video suddenly becomes popular, a bunch of content farms and people in general rush out to try and copy but "one up" it to try and get that sweet YouTube money, and they usually end up being completely destructive or exploitative behind the scenes because all they care about is the final presentation.

The gross animal rescue copycat videos have already been mentioned, but another type of farmed content that was prolific for awhile was channels trying to copycat Primitive Technology's channel . For a while, it would be dudes claiming to make all these elaborate outdoor structures with swimming pools and poo poo "by hand" using only supplies found in nature, but in reality, they were using like bulldozers and heavy equipment and poo poo to do like 99% of the work behind the scenes, and then would film themselves just like scraping a wall with their hands for the video. And what's worse, is that they would basically destroy all the surroundings that were off camera to bring in their equipment or when they ran pipes and poo poo to "fill by hand" their pools and poo poo, and then when they were done with their videos, they would abandon the locations and just leave all the trash and everything there.

Even videos debunking all the primative technology videos started copycatting each other.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Jeff Fatwood posted:

TheRasteri is loving awesome, I love his projects

I found out about TheRasteri's channel because he posts in the DJs subreddit every now and then when he has something DJ tech related to share, which is right up my alley, and subscribed because his other non-DJ related videos are also as interesting.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

apatheticman posted:

Did MKBHD do car reviews first?

Linus probably just saw a market opportunity and dealerships wanting to throw him inventory for review.

Unless things have changed , MKBHD has been an Elong bootlicker for awhile and tried to hype Teslas up early on and heap praise on Musky in general while ignoring all the awful things about him and his cars.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Triikan posted:

They have implemented changes. The result that I can tell is that the cameras are super poo poo at detecting people now and the app got a lot less responsive. That could also be purposefully making the 2nd gen stuff shittier so you move to the latest poo poo, and none of their stuff is compatible between generations, which is a pretty big gently caress you. They also never implemented literally anything they promised they would for homebase 2 stuff, which definitely won't happen now that homebase 3 is out. Eufy product claims are lucy pulling the football at this point.

I'm moving to a completely local system, maybe one of the ones that operate on "standards" so I'm not vendor locked any more.

Yeah it sucked that all the promises they made for the homebase 2 never materialized. Multiple people from sales to engineers told me in person at CES a few years ago that those features were definitely coming definitely in a few months and then nothing.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Kazinsal posted:

Getting flashbacks to a gun youtuber with multiple 88s in his username saying "nah man I'm not a nazi I just really really like dale earnhardt jr"

You can't judge a book by it's cover.

You act like that guy is out there saying the J6 dipshits are patriots or something.

Oh, that's literally what he said? Ah jeez.

Ok I guess sometimes you can judge a book by its cover and sometimes the author makes the entire plot synopsis the title of the book to make it easier to find for the people that are totally into what the book is about.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

redeyes posted:

Its going to get worse. Once your account is flagged there is not much that can be done.

here is a reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/14kmd07/youtube_cracking_down_on_if_youre_not_paying_them/?rdt=37336

If you guys haven't already, you should export a .csv list of your YouTube subscriptions just in case, which can also be used for if you switch to a third-party YouTube client (many allow importing of that .csv file so you can have all your subscriptions) or get a new YT account.

Google changed the way you do it (it used to be easy to do right from YT, but now requires a few more steps)

• Go to https://takeout.google.com/takeout/custom/youtube, log in if needed
  • Click on the "All YouTube data included" button
  • Click on Deselect all to uncheck everything
  • Check the box for "subscriptions" and then click OK
  • Click on the "Next step" button
  • You can leave all the options their default settings here and then click the "Create export" button

Depending on how many subscriptions you have, you may be then presented with a "Download" button, otherwise you'll be told that it may take a while to process, and then you'll be sent an email letting you know when the .zip file containing the info you requested is ready for download.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

So is this one of those suspiciously cheap android TV boxes that comes pre-loaded with every piece of malware and spyware that they could get their hands on?

The malware-infested boxes are just running a skinned version of the phone version of Android.

The ONN box is a certified Android TV/Google TV device running the proper Android TV OS so it's clean, and people also checked it for the malware stuff found on the generic boxes and it didn't have any of that.

https://www.android.com/certified/partners/

They're cheap mostly because low specs and being a Walmart house brand.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I would download a car if I could.

Man I bought a 3d printer specifically so I could download poo poo and not pay for it.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

anakha posted:

I wonder who the Linus of Bilibili would be.

Linus found out that some group was taking their videos, translating it, and then reuploading it to Bilibili, so LTT just hired them to do it officially, and that channel has over a million subs.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 24, 2023

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

Once you find a good mouse just solder in new switches every few years. They're very cheap and simple to replace.

And the another benefit of doing that is that you get to pick what kind of switches you put in there.

I love my Logitech G602, and when the switches went bad (double clicking or not clicking at all), I replaced them with Kailh silent microswitches, and not only did I get my mouse working again, it made the clicks basically silent while still being tactile, so a small QOL improvement that I really appreciated.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

repiv posted:

youtube should adopt the niconico comment system imo

Instead of WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW it's just all slurs and telegram scam links

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

well why not posted:

Apparently LTT has a “replace video” option that works differently to other channels - iirc it’s seamless and doesn’t disturb the viewer counts or other starts.

They also have a more lucrative ad deal due to some caveat.

The ability to replace a video over an old video has been around for awhile, but only for very prominent established accounts, most likely accounts that are large enough that they trust to not abuse it in a way that would affect revenue for everyone.

Here's an article from 2018 about it, where it's mentioned that Apple is another one of the accounts that can replace a video without changing URL or stats or anything:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/insidetech/youtube-lets-some-users-fix-videos-without-changing-the-url/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Koskun posted:

There is a keyboard thread here. They are quite good about recommendations.

The typical response would be a Keychron, however I wouldn't. Programming the keys is done through a website that is flashed to your keyboard, and their customer service is actively hostile. Every Keychron recommendation ends with "buy it on Amazon in case you need to return it".

I happen to have the Steelseries Apex Pro, in both TKL and full-size. I love it. Linear, full RGB, and since they are optical switches you can adjust the actuation point on the fly to the whole keyboard, or go into the software for individual keys. It sounds like a gimmick, but it's been quite nice. Downside, it is not hotswap, so if a switch dies then it's warranty replacement if in that timeline or buy a new one.

I've had a Blackwidow, I think the V2, and it just felt very cheap and hollow. I have one of their optical switch keyboards as well, I think it is called the Huntsman. The keycaps killed it for me, as they are way too thin and the whole thing just feels cheaply made (I got it used for like 20 bucks, so).

I thought I would have issues adjusting to a TKL, and while I tried a 60% and 70% - those are literally just the letters and side keys, no F-row, those I did not like at all. A normal TKL has the arrow keys, Ins/Del cluster, and function row. The Apex has a tiny little roller for volume and a Play/Pause below it. They can be changed in the software if you wish last I looked. Not having a numpad, well I still reach for it once in a while, but I really don't miss it, and I have a little USB numpad laying around somewhere.

The Steelseries Apex Pro I've seen go on sale here and there, but they generally don't knock that much off. Generally around 20-30 bucks.

Without delving in to it much when the keyboard thread is better, anything that uses VIA for programming doesn't need to do it through a browser. You can just download VIA and do it that way. A browser is just more convenient for people because it doesn't require downloading/installing a program, which is also good if you aren't on your own computer; configuring through a browser or standalone app is otherwise the exact same experience.

The whole "buy a Keychron from literally anywhere else but Keychron" is still true though, because their customer service is complete dogshit.

Randalor posted:

Mechanical keyboards are the superior keyboard though. They make clicky noises when you type on them. :downs:

The sound a mechanical keyboard makes is largely based on the switches it has. It'll be clicky if you use something clicky. If you use silent switches, it'll be quiet. My current keyboard currently has Durock Dolphin switches in it, which are silent linear switches, and it is quieter than most membrane keyboards. You can make your keyboard even quieter with additional mods like lubricating the stabilizer bars or taking apart the switches and lubricating them as well (and some switches come lubed from the factory, but would benefit from additional lube).

There are hundreds of MX compatible switch variants out now made by several companies, and that's not counting anything customized .

People who are in to mechanical keyboards will often go through several different switches before finding one that they like the most in how it sounds and how it feels, both in tactility and in keypress weight.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 17, 2024